I'm abandoning this generation of gaming. I'm through with it.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for IronMaidenLives
IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IronMaidenLives
Member since 2007 • 703 Posts

I've decided that there is no reason for me to hold anymore interest for this generation of gaming. I own a Wii and have played the 360 and PS3 many times only to discover I have yet to experience any excitement. There are many factors to this but one of the major points is the lack of any originality. Here are some examples:

MP3. Looks great and will probably play great. But from what I have read and seen, just what will be so different about it when compared to the first two, besides the controls? Apply the same reasoning to the next SSB. Not to mention there hasn't been a LoZ that has touched OoT. Mario Party? It got old after the third. Maybe SMG will break the trend.

GTA4. Same rules apply but again, where is the originality? Where are the aspects that make one say "Wow, this looks like something that hasn't been done yet." Sure, it's not even out but anyone who is a fan of the series, like me, pretty much knows the formula by now. Same with Halo. It just seems as if it is nothing but sequel after sequel and new systems are made for the continuation of these franchises. The new Madden should simply be called Roster Update 2008.

WW2 FPS'S and even more WW2 FPS'S. Hey, I can't wait for the new Tekken or DoA, either. Uh, huh.

I'm still sticking to my last gen systems. I've played MVP 2005 for two months straight and I still love it. My PS2 was bought around the time I got the Wii and guess which is being played more? I'm loving the old Xbox. I popped in SSX 3 for the first time in 2 years and I had a blast.

I'll wait for another 5 years until the new batch of systems come out. Maybe by then, some developer will have found their creative brain lying on the floor and decided to actually pick it up and place it back in their head.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
you don't have any patience
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
the problem is you own a wii and not a 360tree-branch
/thread he got you on that one.Also if u buy a 360 and something like Gears of War you mind will probably be changed.
charley_mcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 charley_mcd
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts

wow thats cold!but your gaming supply is gonna go really dry for the next 5 YEARS!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
We're going to miss you little buddy. Be sure to write and take care now, ya hear?
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

I care

/sarcasm

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IronMaidenLives

[QUOTE="tree-branch"]the problem is you own a wii and not a 360Unforgiven2870
/thread he got you on that one.Also if u buy a 360 and something like Gears of War you mind will probably be changed.

Um, no. Not /thread.

Did you not read where I said I have played the 360? Do you not think GoW was one of those games I have played?

Guess what? I didn't understand the hype then and I sure don't understand it now.

The last original game to hold my interest was Viewtful Joe. Now THAT was a video game.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
You see. You shouldn't buy consoles before the games have arrived but after.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

lol, no. Gears of war might as well have been made last gen. There is nothing orginal about it. Like he said, the systems seem like they aren't in a new gen, they are just continuing from the last one. At the start of last gen, there was plenty to be excited about with totally new experiences like GTA3, THPS3, Pikmin, Halo: CE, FF10, Windwaker among many others. Gears? please, that game doesn't have the impactthat those games had. If anything the wii's approach is better, although I suppose you could argue they didn't execute it right

edit: love it or hate it, people are excited about wiisports and the wii in general, and that won't be the last game with that appeal

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IronMaidenLives

you don't have any patienceakif22

I beat RE4 seven different times. Patience is not an issue.

-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts

Thank God cause you were one annoying fanboy...

PS My brothers playing MVP Baseball 05 right nowbehind me, it is a great game.

Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts

I think the OP is entitled to say what they said. Not alot has shaken the indudtry to hold up for the next 5 years from all angles... And this comming from someone who only owns a 360.

If anything, GeOW Isn't the game to change their mind. You make me wish I bought Viva Pinata instead. :(

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IronMaidenLives

[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="tree-branch"]the problem is you own a wii and not a 360GunSmith1_basic

lol, no. Gears of war might as well have been made last gen. There is nothing orginal about it. Like he said, the systems seem like they aren't in a new gen, they are just continuing from the last one. At the start of last gen, there was plenty to be excited about with totally new experiences like GTA3, THPS3, Pikmin, Halo: CE, FF10, Windwaker among many others. Gears? please, that game doesn't have the impactthat those games had. If anything the wii's approach is better, although I suppose you could argue they didn't execute it right

edit: love it or hate it, people are excited about wiisports and the wii in general, and that won't be the last game with that appeal

You know, when I played GoW I told myself "I feel like I've done this before".

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IronMaidenLives

Thank God cause you were one annoying fanboy...

PS My brothers playing MVP Baseball 05 right nowbehind me, it is a great game.

-Sir-Poof-

Hey, I'm now a fanboy of last gen.

MVP is it, man. I'm into it, hardcore like.

_KenKittyragi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _KenKittyragi_
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts
sucks 4 the TC
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
WOW the wii has turned this gamer off gaming.
Mfals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mfals
Member since 2007 • 447 Posts

you don't have any patienceakif22

just wait... just you wait... -_-"

crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts
This generation is saturated with sequals which is a tad bit disappointing. On the other hand existing franchises are at least proven.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="tree-branch"]the problem is you own a wii and not a 360IronMaidenLives

Um, no. Not /thread.

Did you not read where I said I have played the 360? Do you not think GoW was one of those games I have played?

Guess what? I didn't understand the hype then and I sure don't understand it now.

The last original game to hold my interest was Viewtful Joe. Now THAT was a video game.

I know what you mean, borrowed my mate's 360 this week, played GeoW , Rainbow Six Vegas , Forza and Enchanted Arms (dear god, thats Japanese metrosexuality at its finest ... or worst...)

Gears of War .... I found it hard to keep concentration on the game ... duck here shoot thier heads rinse repeat, graphics ... well if its the best graphical game out then im not impressed, its art is horrible (YES IN MOTION) , I hope UT3 does the Grungification alot better.

Forza was good, im not much of a racing game fan, but I enjoyed it more than GT3/4.

Rainbow Six ... didnt like it, Prefer the PC version, although the online is smaller, guess it never caught on.

Oh and during that week, in a well ventilated area , froze 3 times on GeoW and once on Forza ... I dont expect this from hardware ... I was afraid to use it after that and have given it back to him.

I'l just pimp out this PC and buy a Wii for the old nintendo favourites, consoles that try to mimic the PC are overated, it annoys me as to why they exist.

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IronMaidenLives

sucks 4 the TC_KenKittyragi_

Nope. It does not.

Especially when I trade in my Wii for a boatload of PS2 games.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Ok. See you next-gen..
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts

Quit crying about this gen. Have you even played GTA4? You do realize that judging a consoles innovation using previously made franchises is logically unsound, right? What if an entirely new franchise is started this gen? You won't be able to say "PS2 did that!"

You can go ahead and overlook all the details this gen has cleaned up from the previous one, but it doesn't change the fact that they're there. Maybe you should have a little patience, and actually give someone a chance to impress you before you make your final judgements (btw, your beating re4 relates to your having patience with a console how exactly? We're talking weeks compared to years)....but what am I saying, you won't. More than likely you'll just argue with me. Fact is, no console did it's best work in the first half of it's life.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

the problem is you own a wii and not a 360tree-branch

The problem is that if he winds up buying Forza 2, he will get the red lights of death and will have to waste his time getting a crappy console fixed.

And there are going to be far more unique games for the Wii then any other console, Boogie is a prime example.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I dont think you're leaving the gen for good. if you sell off your wii, I'll bet you'll be buying another one in a year or two. By then you'll be out of ps2 games and the reasons you bought a wii in the first place will start to become realized
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
It's your loss.
IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IronMaidenLives

Quit crying about this gen. Have you even played GTA4? You do realize that judging a consoles innovation using previously made franchises is logically unsound, right? What if an entirely new franchise is started this gen? You won't be able to say "PS2 did that!"

You can go ahead and overlook all the details this gen has cleaned up from the previous one, but it doesn't change the fact that they're there. Maybe you should have a little patience, and actually give someone a chance to impress you before you make your final judgements (btw, your beating re4 relates to your having patience with a console how exactly? We're talking weeks compared to years)....but what am I saying, you won't. More than likely you'll just argue with me. Fact is, no console did it's best work in the first half of it's life.

whoisryanmack

Nah, I'm not going to argue with you. If you are good with this gen, that's fine.

But I know and you should too that GTA 4 is not going to reinvent the wheel.

I've researched on this. I don't see anything on the horizon that gives me a reason to get involved. All I see is sequel after sequel with a few exceptions.

BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
LOL from the guy who owns a wii
IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IronMaidenLives

It's your loss.TrueReligion_

Objective statement. If I feel OK with it, how is it my loss?

(looks at game collection)

Nope. I don't feel any loss here.

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts

You've picked a poor time to come to that decision. I think once E3 rolls around you will get hyped again.

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IronMaidenLives

You've picked a poor time to come to that decision. I think once E3 rolls around you will get hyped again.

iunderstand

E3. Bah, the show of sequels. I've already turned my back on it.

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Unforgiven2870
How can you call something a sequel if it was never produced the first time around?
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 whoisryanmack
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

IronMaidenLives

Nah, I'm not going to argue with you. If you are good with this gen, that's fine.

I've researched on this. I don't see anything on the horizon that gives me a reason to get involved. All I see is sequel after sequel with a few exceptions.

So obviously patience is not one of your strong suits. "all you see" are sequels. Hmm...interesting, because right now games I own that are 360 only Dead Rising, Crackdown, GRAW, Gears, Viva Pinata (there are more)...but I guess you somehow played all those games with all their features on ps2.

I already addressed why GTA4 will not "reinvent the wheel". You are taking the franchise that had possibly the biggest innovation of all time last gen, and somehow expecting it to do so again this gen. Any other franchise, new or old, would be a better place to look.

How can you know what is coming out? At most, you are hearing about games 2 years down the road. 2 YEARS! That's nothing, some of the greatest games on ps2 came out 6 years after it's release. You won't have heard of their current gen equivelants, because they haven't been dreamed up yet.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

I share a similar sense of disillusion, I'll just stick to the DS for now...I'm sure Super Mario Galaxy will draw me back.

I often find reading about game more enjoyable.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
why are u judging an entire generation based on their launch games? Sure the PS3 and 360 dont have much originality, but the wii should have tons of it. ATLEAST wait till after e3?
IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IronMaidenLives
[QUOTE="IronMaidenLives"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

whoisryanmack

So obviously patience is not one of your strong suits. "all you see" are sequels. Hmm...interesting, because right now games I own that are 360 only Dead Rising, Crackdown, GRAW, Gears, Viva Pinata (there are more)...but I guess you somehow played all those games with all their features on ps2.

No, I played those games on the 360. Gears didn't grab my attention. Crackdown had many GTA elements and Dead Rising was fun, I'll give you that.

I got it. You are all for this gen. Good for you.

I, however, am not.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
this generation is just beggining.......... that's all i have to say.
that and you're gonna miss out on ALOT if you abandon this gen
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 whoisryanmack
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"][QUOTE="IronMaidenLives"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

IronMaidenLives

No, I played those games on the 360. Gears didn't grab my attention. Crackdown had many GTA elements and Dead Rising was fun, I'll give you that.

I, however, am not.

But whether or not you like Gears, you recognize why it couldn't be done last gen? Hense, another 3rd person that you like better could use those same improvements to give you an experience you couldn't have gotten last gen

Crackdown had GTA elements? WTF? So now, no one can ever make another sandbox because "GTA already did it"? Weak argument. How is the draw distance on GTA? How is the vertical level design in GTA? I could go for quite a while.

Dead Rising, a great example of games that would be impossible last gen. Any other new game could incorporate the strength of so many characters on screen to give you an experience you couldn't have had last gen.

And don't get all "I got it, good for you". You posted this topic, and now I'm responding to your broken, weak logic. If you don't want to hear it, then don't post topics.

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IronMaidenLives
[QUOTE="IronMaidenLives"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"][QUOTE="IronMaidenLives"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

whoisryanmack

I, however, am not.

But whether or not you like Gears, you recognize why it couldn't be done last gen? Hense, another 3rd person that you like better could use those same improvements to give you an experience you couldn't have gotten last gen

Crackdown had GTA elements? WTF? So now, no one can ever make another sandbox because "GTA already did it"? Weak argument. How is the draw distance on GTA? How is the vertical level design in GTA? I could go for quite a while.

Dead Rising, a great example of games that would be impossible last gen. Any other new game could incorporate the strength of so many characters on screen to give you an experience you couldn't have had last gen.

And don't get all "I got it, good for you". You posted this topic, and now I'm responding to your broken, weak logic. If you don't want to hear it, then don't post topics.

Funny how my feelings on the matter contain broken logic. If I feel that this gen is not bringing as much originality to the table, just who are you to tell me how to feel?

GoW could have been done last gen with weaker graphics, bub. That's a given.

What's next? You telling me 3D couldn't have been done last gen?

You seem hostile on the subject. If my feelings on the matter offend you so much, that's your issue, not mine.

I'm good with what I have. Deal with that.

IronMaidenLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IronMaidenLives
And to say "no console did it's best work of the first half" shows how little knowledge you contain about that particular subject. Go check out SSBM and Rogue Squadron for the GC.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
just go build a pc there's plenty of good games for it
Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts
Portal should be a game for you. Haven't seen something similar like that done before, except the free game "narbacular drop" or whatever.
amourkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 amourkiss
Member since 2003 • 1751 Posts

movie always consist bad guys and the good guys, where's the originality ? that makes Spiderman 3 = the Departed ?

how come the Matrix keeps talking about the same stuff, and can still shoot sequels ?

the reason is because people are still buying it, that's all, that's business

imagine you own the GTA frachise, I bet you want to make a 100+ GTA games before it wears out its novelty

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="tree-branch"]the problem is you own a wii and not a 360GunSmith1_basic

yeah ever since I played GTA3 5 years ago today i didnt feel the same way bout every other GTA like I did with 3,I could never get that "wow" feling back,Same with FF10.These two games will always be my favorite games of each of theyre genres

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Unforgiven2870
Or need for Speed for that matter.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
IronMaidenLives, you used to be the most avid Nintendo fanboy. I'm actually pretty shocked you'd make a thread such as this.
Kevanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kevanio
Member since 2006 • 580 Posts
Well. i have gone back to diablo 2 and the fallout series on my computer because i cant afford any 360 games so i sort of agree, nothing coming out untill bioshock that interests me to be honest
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Deamon321
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts

I've decided that there is no reason for me to hold anymore interest for this generation of gaming. I own a Wii and have played the 360 and PS3 many times only to discover I have yet to experience any excitement. There are many factors to this but one of the major points is the lack of any originality. Here are some examples:

MP3. Looks great and will probably play great. But from what I have read and seen, just what will be so different about it when compared to the first two, besides the controls? Apply the same reasoning to the next SSB. Not to mention there hasn't been a LoZ that has touched OoT. Mario Party? It got old after the third. Maybe SMG will break the trend.

GTA4. Same rules apply but again, where is the originality? Where are the aspects that make one say "Wow, this looks like something that hasn't been done yet." Sure, it's not even out but anyone who is a fan of the series, like me, pretty much knows the formula by now. Same with Halo. It just seems as if it is nothing but sequel after sequel and new systems are made for the continuation of these franchises. The new Madden should simply be called Roster Update 2008.

WW2 FPS'S and even more WW2 FPS'S. Hey, I can't wait for the new Tekken or DoA, either. Uh, huh.

I'm still sticking to my last gen systems. I've played MVP 2005 for two months straight and I still love it. My PS2 was bought around the time I got the Wii and guess which is being played more? I'm loving the old Xbox. I popped in SSX 3 for the first time in 2 years and I had a blast.

I'll wait for another 5 years until the new batch of systems come out. Maybe by then, some developer will have found their creative brain lying on the floor and decided to actually pick it up and place it back in their head.

IronMaidenLives

please let me put "The new Madden should simply be called Roster Update 2008." that in my sig. PLEASE!!!

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
[QUOTE="IronMaidenLives"]

Deamon321

please let me put "The new Madden should simply be called Roster Update 2008." that in my sig. PLEASE!!!

Lol that actually was very clever and very true.

Avatar image for GodHatesYankees
GodHatesYankees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodHatesYankees
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts

Fact is, no console did it's best work in the first half of it's life.

whoisryanmack

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. How many consoles have you owned in your life? Two?