IGN's top 10 open world games! Elden Ring is..

• 134 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45114 Posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-10-best-open-world-games

Number 5. Wow, IGN still has Breath of the Wild at number 1 despite Elden Ring's release!

Your thoughts, SW? What are your top 10 open world games? I'm a bit surprised Miles Morales on here.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

Excellent list of games there and would probably be pretty close to mine. Breath of the Wild would be my number one as well. Would probably have Elden Ring up higher though, probably number 2. The only ones that I haven’t played from that list yet are Horizon Forbidden West and Miles Morales.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Not surprising...Belden ring isn't on the same level. It's very much copy pasta open world

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

What the hell is this list? ER is just a better BOTW in every way, so if BOTW is first, ER is actually first. RDR2 has a good main story, but that's all it really has, and that's nowhere near enough for an open world game. TW3 has the worst combat system of any open world games and the exploration is just bland. lol gta5. GTA being in front of ER is funny.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

What the hell is this list? ER is just a better BOTW in every way, so if BOTW is first, ER is actually first. RDR2 has a good main story, but that's all it really has, and that's nowhere near enough for an open world game. TW3 has the worst combat system of any open world games and the exploration is just bland. lol gta5. GTA being in front of ER is funny.

Elden Ring is just one big Souls game lol.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

bit soon to be putting it in a list like that IMO. needs to percolate for a while.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

I always liked ign, now this made me remember why. They are a very wise review site and one of the most credible and respectable.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34613 Posts

My order from that list:

1. BotW
2. Elden Ring
3. Skyrim

Played Witcher 3, didn't like it. Don't care about the rest.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Elden Ring is just one big Souls game lol.

And that's a negative? What are the other games? BOTW is the emptiest open world game. The Switch can't handle more than 10 trees on screen.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Fitting... the open world in BotW is one of the most interactive sandboxes in gaming. Also the biggest map I have seen.

You can see where developers since have been influenced by BotW in designing their open worlds.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@SolidGame_basic: we agree on this fact. BotW >>> dark souls 4 aka Belden ring, copy pasta open world with massive bugs and performance issues

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

Elden ring is botw on steroids and in ultra difficulty mode. Loved both games but ER is the king right now imo.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I thought Softwenzen said that Elden Ring was the best open world game ever.

But according to IGN, the same source that takes points away for having too much water in a game, it's not even in the top 4.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Lol at GTA V and RDR2. These games play like ass.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69483 Posts

For me it is Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Prey and Elden Ring. No order needed.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@___gamemaster__ said:

Elden ring is botw on steroids and in ultra difficulty mode. Loved both games but ER is the king right now imo.

BOTW is more difficult than Elden Ring if you put it on master mode.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Celebrating empty worlds now? Interesting.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23913 Posts

Helluva Recency Bias.

Ultima 7 is a game that made better use of its open world than all of these games minus BotW. And Miles Morales over the first one? Horizon forbidden west over GoT? Where is Minecraft?

And does Mount and Blade Warband count?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Helluva Recency Bias.

Ultima 7 is a game that made better use of its open world than all of these games minus BotW. And Miles Morales over the first one? Horizon forbidden west over GoT? Where is Minecraft?

And does Mount and Blade Warband count?

I wouldn't classify Mount and Blade Warband as open world, for whatever that's worth.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I think the bigger crime is ranking Witcher 3 above New Vegas. The Witcher series is probably one of the more overrated ones as of recent, and New Vegas is arguably the best Fallout game ever made. Forget that Elden Ring is just a better game than BoTW in every way, just having Witcher that high is insulting.

But it's IGN so who cares.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

@Maroxad: Yeah, no on mount and blade, it was only open world on the over map. But once you went to battle it was open field. Love that game.

Good list here, although BotW is ranked a little low. BotW should be cloud 9, then rest ground level.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@___gamemaster__ said:

Elden ring is botw on steroids

@hardwenzen said:

ER is just a better BOTW in every way

What are these takes?

If I knew nothing of ER and somebody described it like that, I'd imagine a game rich with interplaying systems, heavy on interaction, huge emphasis on traversal mobility, and plenty of gameplay elements beyond explore place and kill things.

ER is none of that, in many ways these games are diametrically opposed in their goals and execution. Which is fine, not a snub against ER, BotW isn't what I'd want from Big Souls.

Both games cut the player loose from the jump, but that's about it. If anything, when ER doesn't feel like a Souls game I find it loosely reminiscent of Morrowind.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

I don't have a problem with this list, although I'd ditch Skyrim for Morrowind or even Gothic 3.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Call me crazy, but having recently started Cyberpunk 2077 following its 1.5 patch, I'd honestly consider putting it on that list. Did not expect to love it as much as I have.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I think the bigger crime is ranking Witcher 3 above New Vegas. The Witcher series is probably one of the more overrated ones as of recent, and New Vegas is arguably the best Fallout game ever made. Forget that Elden Ring is just a better game than BoTW in every way, just having Witcher that high is insulting.

But it's IGN so who cares.

I've got to disagree with each of these points.

The Witcher 1 was an instant classic when it came out, getting instant praise even before the Enhanced Edition fixed it. At a time when the biggest RPGs were Bioware's brain-dead one-choice RPGs ("are you the blue character or the red character?"), The Witcher showed you could have a rich, mature, subtle storyline with excellent choices and consequences. The Witcher 2 took all of that and added better combat and top-notch production values. Then The Witcher 3 somehow transposed all of that into a massive open-world RPG, at a time when the biggest open-world RPGs were barely functional potatoes like Skyrim.

New Vegas was great, but it was hampered by sharing a lot of DNA with the worst mainline game in the series, Fallout 3. For every bit of clever writing and world-building, there was an equal amount of mediocre production values and middling gameplay. The roleplaying options also took a huge nosedive compared to Fallout 2 - although it was still a great game.

I'll withhold my judgement of Elden Ring until I play it, although I doubt it will be as dynamic and interactive as BOTW, and I doubt it will be as challenging as BOTW's Master mode.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

bit soon to be putting it in a list like that IMO. needs to percolate for a while.

Ditto.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I'll withhold my judgement of Elden Ring until I play it, although I doubt it will be as dynamic and interactive as BOTW, and I doubt it will be as challenging as BOTW's Master mode.

On the first point, no, not at all. ER is a scaled up Souls game. Way static by comparison.

Challenge though? 😂

Master mode makes the first few hrs of BotW more interesting than normal, but quickly tapers off. About 5 hrs in it didn't feel all too different from a normal run. Was way disappointing.

ER is significantly more challenging from the get go.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

I thought Softwenzen said that Elden Ring was the best open world game ever.

But according to IGN, the same source that takes points away for having too much water in a game, it's not even in the top 4.

BUT IGN

Loading Video...
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8221 Posts

Metal gear solid 5 sucked, wouldnt even be on my top 50

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Cant talk about Spiderman:MM but the open world in the original Spiderman was rubbish

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan

@hardwenzen: At the end of the day you can't spell ignorant without IGN, and I have evidence to back up my claims.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

@hardwenzen: At the end of the day you can't spell ignorant without IGN, and I have evidence to back up my claims.

I agree with this Pokemon Go enjoyer.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Elden Ring is a better game in nearly every category over Breath of the Wild. I'd debate anyone on that

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jaydan

@hardwenzen: I can't say I've ever downloaded Pokemon Go.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Fairmonkey: not really. Elden Ring has no traversal, no puzzles, not much as far as quests, no cool environmental effects, physics, collecting. It's just one big Souls game.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Let's compare Breath of the Wild to previous Zelda games. Breath has a worse story, no memorable story moments, worse characters, worse dungeons, worse enemy variety, not nearly as memorable music, no musical instrument to use, no cool transformations like in child/adult in Ocarina, three masks in Majora, or wolf link in Twilight, no cool items to find like the hookshot or lens of truth for example, and worse weapon durability. Breath of the Wild is also in my opinion too big with too much empty space. I would have greatly preferred a world half the size but filled with more content. Every Shrine in Breath has the same boring elevator music and bland art style. All you get for beating them is a boring health or stamina upgrade. So yea Breath of the Wild isn't a 10/10 and it's overrated as hell and I've been a lifelong zelda fan.

Elden Ring has better technical graphics, frame rate, environment design, enemy and boss art design, enemy variety, combat, weapon durability, gameplay depth and mechanics, replayability, and better rewards than Breath of the Wild

Elden Ring has horse that can double jump, fly high in a gust of wind, and fast travel so that's good enough traversal for me

No puzzles. Yea Zelda wins there but every shrine has same music and art style and rewards were weak. Figuring out how to beat bosses in Elden Ring is a bit of a puzzle in a way also

Quests: I honestly don't remember any memorable quests from zelda to be honest

Environment is fine in Elden Ring. Google the Raya Lucaria Academy and tell me that is not one of the best looking areas you have seen in a game

Collecting is more rewarding in Elden Ring. Instead of a crappy health or stamina upgrade i find a sword that shoots fire or the ability to throw lightening and stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

MGS V really IGN? it has one of the worst blandest open worlds ever created.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

@Fairmonkey: Bro, Elden Ring has average user scores in the 6's. Get that blind fanboy shat out of here. BotW is leagues above Elden Ring, even fans agree, BotW is one of the greatest games of all time. Elden Ring is nowhere near the best Souls game. You have to hit a certain bar to even get in discussion with BotW. And trust me, crap user review averages like Elden Ring has isnt even close to BotW's bar.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@hardwenzen: Red Dead Redemption 2 has a good story and that's it? Did you play the game? Hunting, playing dominoes, poker, solving mysteries about serial killers, racing, not to mention the fact that eating and drinking actually meant something, etc. There was so much to do in the game that I literally got lost in it. We get it, you love Elden Ring but some people prefer other games over it and that's cool lol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

@hardwenzen: I can't say I've ever downloaded Pokemon Go.

Pokemon Nap i mean🤮

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen
@valgaav_219 said:

@hardwenzen: Red Dead Redemption 2 has a good story and that's it? Did you play the game? Hunting, playing dominoes, poker, solving mysteries about serial killers, racing, not to mention the fact that eating and drinking actually meant something, etc. There was so much to do in the game that I literally got lost in it. We get it, you love Elden Ring but some people prefer other games over it and that's cool lol

You're talking to someone who played the damn thing for 300 plus hours of it. I know VERY well how the game is structured. There are some fun little side quests, but there isn't many of them and they're very short. You're mostly roaming beautiful scenery and collect 1230943982349802 consumables for you and your horse. Such a vast open world, but there's nothing interesting for you to collect. RDR2 needed to be an rpg for the world exploration to be fun and engaging. And i liked the game, but gameplay wise it ain't got crap on ER.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

I don't know if I'd call Elden Ring the best open world game of all time or not, but in my opinion it's certainly better than the games listed above it. I guess The Witcher 3 is the closest to me personally. I would put Elden Ring, Morrowind, Oblivion, The Witcher 3, A link to the past (yes it's technically open world), survival games like Ark/Atlas/Conan Exiles, Kingdom Come Deliverance, various MMO's, various RPG's including turn based as well, a couple looter shooters, a couple open world action games like Assassins Creed (only a couple though), games like Mount and Blade, various procedurally generated open worlds, etc. above most the games on this list. I wouldn't put 1,4,7, and possibly 8, 9, and 10 on a top 20 list.. That said, opinions and all that.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Valgaav_219

@hardwenzen: I'm not comparing it to ER. I'm just saying that it definitely had more content than just the main story. It also deserves it's place on this list. I'd replace MGS5 with Ghosts of Tsushima, though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@Fairmonkey said:

@SolidGame_basic: Let's compare Breath of the Wild to previous Zelda games. Breath has a worse story, no memorable story moments, worse characters, worse dungeons, worse enemy variety, not nearly as memorable music, no musical instrument to use, no cool transformations like in child/adult in Ocarina, three masks in Majora, or wolf link in Twilight, no cool items to find like the hookshot or lens of truth for example, and worse weapon durability. Breath of the Wild is also in my opinion too big with too much empty space. I would have greatly preferred a world half the size but filled with more content. Every Shrine in Breath has the same boring elevator music and bland art style. All you get for beating them is a boring health or stamina upgrade. So yea Breath of the Wild isn't a 10/10 and it's overrated as hell and I've been a lifelong zelda fan.

Elden Ring has better technical graphics, frame rate, environment design, enemy and boss art design, enemy variety, combat, weapon durability, gameplay depth and mechanics, replayability, and better rewards than Breath of the Wild

Elden Ring has horse that can double jump, fly high in a gust of wind, and fast travel so that's good enough traversal for me

No puzzles. Yea Zelda wins there but every shrine has same music and art style and rewards were weak. Figuring out how to beat bosses in Elden Ring is a bit of a puzzle in a way also

Quests: I honestly don't remember any memorable quests from zelda to be honest

Environment is fine in Elden Ring. Google the Raya Lucaria Academy and tell me that is not one of the best looking areas you have seen in a game

Collecting is more rewarding in Elden Ring. Instead of a crappy health or stamina upgrade i find a sword that shoots fire or the ability to throw lightening and stuff

No doubt that Elden Ring is amazing, it's just not an amazing open world game. Yes, it's non-linear nature is great, gameplay is great, design is great, but if you compare it to what other open world games offer, it's very narrow.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I've got to disagree with each of these points.

The Witcher 1 was an instant classic when it came out, getting instant praise even before the Enhanced Edition fixed it. At a time when the biggest RPGs were Bioware's brain-dead one-choice RPGs ("are you the blue character or the red character?"), The Witcher showed you could have a rich, mature, subtle storyline with excellent choices and consequences. The Witcher 2 took all of that and added better combat and top-notch production values. Then The Witcher 3 somehow transposed all of that into a massive open-world RPG, at a time when the biggest open-world RPGs were barely functional potatoes like Skyrim.

New Vegas was great, but it was hampered by sharing a lot of DNA with the worst mainline game in the series, Fallout 3. For every bit of clever writing and world-building, there was an equal amount of mediocre production values and middling gameplay. The roleplaying options also took a huge nosedive compared to Fallout 2 - although it was still a great game.

I get why people love the Witcher but I personally would give is a solid B-. Gameplay is ho-hum, and it suffers from too much dialogue crap like BioWare games (which you've unironically used as a comparison). I simply don't think there is anything that it REALLY excels at. It's just good at a lot of things and it unfortunately isn't one of those 'greater than the sum of it's part' scenarios.

I won't criticize people for liking FO2 more than New Vegas though. They are fairly close and made by the same team. I personally just love the Mohave and setting of NV more, especially given the dynamic nature of the world with reputation and factions. If I put NV head to head with TW3, NV comes out on top each time (dated graphics and all).

As for BoTW it simply won't be a challenge like Elden Ring. But it doesn't have to in order for people to enjoy it, I get that. But BoTW just doesn't have very rewarding dungeons. Items, weapons, clothes, all pale in comparison to the rewards structure of Elden Ring given the builds and play styles available. At the end of the day Elden Ring has a much more compelling core gameplay kernel which drives all of it's world activities to be higher quality than BoTW.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@valgaav_219 said:

@hardwenzen: I'm not comparing it to ER. I'm just saying that it definitely had more content than just the main story. It also deserves it's place on this list. I'd replace MGS5 with Ghosts of Tsushima, though.

Of course it deserves a place on the list, but no way in hell does it deserve to be in front of ER.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Spiderman ps4 is 100× better than Miles Morales. And any list that has the monstrosity that is Phantom Pain is a list not worth taking seriously.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Not a bad top 4 tbh. Id swap GTA5 and RDR2 around though.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Valgaav_219

@pelvist: Agreed. Red Dead Redemption 2 honestly puts GTA V to shame imo. Now the online that's another story, though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24923 Posts

Far cry 2 is still best open world game.