Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

10. Left 4 Dead 2

The announcement of a Left 4 Dead sequel so soon after the original was initially met with skepticism. But much to the elation of zombie slayers everywhere, Left 4 Dead 2 improved upon every aspect of its critically acclaimed predecessor. The sequel added melee weapons, environment specific infected and cranked the gore up to 11. But in spite of its additions and improvements, its place on this list is secured by the same sublime co-op mechanics that also made the original great. Special infected like the smoker, hunter and charger forced teammates to work together and stay together or risk being left for dead… too. - James Duggan

9. Battlefield 1942

Battlefield games are on a scale unrivaled by almost all current FPS titles, but the franchise’s tradition of being bigger and grander than it’s competition started with its very first entry, Battlefield 1942. One of the first examples of class-based combat in a military shooter, 1942 boasted huge 64 player battles replete with tanks, planes and other vehicles. The game also was among the first to incentivize teamplay and objectives over individual K/D. Unlike any game of it’s era Battlefield 1942 left its players countless virtual war stories to share with friends for years to come. - Chloi Rad

8. Quake

Quake built on its predecessor, Doom, for fast-paced FPS movement unique to its time. Its contributions to online multiplayer were huge, too, both in gameplay and with its use of IP networking, which allowed one player to host a game and synched up player movements. As such, a very large part of Quake’s legacy is in its technology — 3D rendering through OpenGL helped to popularize graphics cards with PC enthusiasts, and its healthy mod scene gave rise to the machinima style of filmmaking in game engines. Its engine and mods also laid the foundation for Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2. - Kallie Plagge

7. Team Fortress 2

Picking up where the original left off, Team Fortress 2 shattered the conventional tropes of competitive team-based multiplayer. Gone was the concept of deathmatch and in it’s place a plethora of objectives designed to facilitate interactions between the game’s two teams and nine crazy classes. More than just a different loadout, each “class” boasted an unforgettable personality, aesthetic and design. The heavy for example with his massive health pool and bullet spewing minigun was in stark contrast to the spy, who took up the visage of other classes in an attempt to infiltrate and sabotage the enemy team. This dichotomy created strengths and weakness in each class that were only offset by communication and team play. And to think this stellar title was packaged with Half Life 2 and Portal for a mere fifty dollars on PC. - James Duggan

6. BioShock

In a genre that’s always at risk of drowning in military shooters, BioShock wasn’t afraid to go deeper — way deeper… like, at the absolute bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. BioShock’s tale of a radical industrialists gone off mad was strengthened by its fascinating, sub-aquatic setting, which blended biopunk, art deco, and horror to astounding effect. Aesthetics aside, Bioshock broke new ground with the inclusion a light rpg progression across the game’s linear narratively driven campaign. The chosen upgrades informed the player’s approach to combat encounters, a sentiment echoed by modern FPS campaigns today. - Chloi Rad

5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Love it or hate it, there is no denying that Call of Duty is the most successful fps franchise in gaming history, releasing bi-annually to the tune of millions or pre orders and day-one sales. The formula of arcade military action, killstreak rewards and perhaps most importantly RPG-esque loadout and perk progression all started with the groundbreaking, innovative and excellent Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. And yes there was a time when the words groundbreaking and innovative were associated with a Call of Duty game. An immaculate single player campaign paired with a robust multiplayer suite, set a new bar for what a sixty dollar console purchase should offer. - James Duggan

4. Halo 2

Besides being one of the best multiplayer first-person shooters of all-time -- loaded with classic maps, great weapons, fun vehicles, and endless player customization -- Halo 2 was the killer app for online console multiplayer. Halo 2’s party system was the first time friends could group up and STAY together after each match. We take it for granted now, but it took years for other online games to catch up. Throw in an epic story (minus that ending, anyway), gorgeous graphics, and one of the best game soundtracks in the history of gaming, and Halo 2’s place in the FPS pantheon is unquestionable. - Ryan McCaffrey

3. Half-Life

This one wasn't an easy decision. There are plenty of things Half-Life 2 does better than its predecessor, but when it comes to pure action, level design, and shooting the original Half-Life comes out on top. In a genre not yet famous for its worldbuilding, Black Mesa cemented itself as one of the strongest and most iconic settings of the era. With an infamous opening sequence, fantastic gunplay, and an exhilarating tale of a normal work day gone horribly, horribly wrong, it’s hard to beat the adrenaline-fueled experience of the first Half-Life. - Chloi Rad

2. Doom

Doom may not have been the first first-person shooter, but there’s no question that without it, this list wouldn’t exist because neither would any of these other games. Doom changed everything by mixing an incredible feel, great weapons, menacing monsters, sublime level design into a lengthy, haunting campaign that could be played in co-op with friends. And, by the way, Doom also invented Deathmatch multiplayer. Released in 1993 Doom is so good that, somehow, it’s still amazingly fun today. - Ryan McCaffrey

1. Counter-Strike 1.6

The gameplay of Counter Strike 1.6 is perfect — or so close to it — that in the 17 years since it debuted as a mod for the Half-Life engine, it hasn’t ever had to evolve. Counter-Strike’s balance of sublime weapon mechanics, precision movement, deep strategy, and an endlessly high skill ceiling were and are the gold standard to which all competitive FPS games are compared. Quite the achievement for a game design in 1999. To master this game is to master the essence of what multiplayer first-person shooters are at their core, and what makes them rewarding. Not classes, nor loadouts, not perks or progression… just pure skill, strategy and teamwork. - Sean Finnegan

Overall I'd say it's a list that would surprise many who just came in this thread to shitpost about IGN. While these games aren't necessarily my favorites, they have some pretty decently written reasons as to why they made the list.

Opinions?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

No Half-Life 2. Halo 2 instead of Halo CE and Bioshock and COD 4: MW in the top 10. Fuckin' lol. Stick to console games IGN.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

I always except Every gaming journalist list with COD4 and bioshock always has. instead of system shock 2 and COD united offensive.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

I can cope with most of that, not 1:1 with mine but much better than what I'd expect from IGN.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

That's a safe list if i ever seen one.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

Halo Combat Evolved is miles better than 2.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Boring list. They tried too hard to please everyone. Also Bioshock sucks.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Good to see CS up there.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's definitely a list.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

It's a better list than I thought it would be.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#11 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Can't argue with that list at all. Very impressive for sure.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

No GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, TimeSplitters 2, or Half-Life 2...

I am very disappointed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Not a bad list, but certainly not my top 10... and no Half-Life 2? WTF?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Hmm , not a bad list

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@xdude85 said:

No GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, TimeSplitters 2,

these mediocre console shooters do not deserve to be in to 50 let alone top 10

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@xdude85 said:

They're better than the new Doom.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@xdude85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@xdude85 said:

no

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@xdude85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@xdude85 said:

no

It's a matter of opinion I guess, but they're definitely more hardcore and manly than new Doom.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Good list... for IGN. What seems odd is that they announced Half Life 2 as best game of the decade few years ago but on this list they didn't even include it.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

No Half-Life 2. Halo 2 instead of Halo CE and Bioshock and COD 4: MW in the top 10. Fuckin' lol. Stick to console games IGN.

All of those are accurate. Half-life 2 was a linear corridor shooter with awful enemy AI. Halo 2 had online multiplayer while Halo 1 didn't. Modern Warfare was incredible, it was only after being milked so much that the series suffered. Bioshock is the best single player FPS of all time.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@LuminousAether: GTFO son.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I don't think so Tim.Umm no,the list has some Major flaws.What IGN say's is not what most of the gaming community say's.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Good list... for IGN. What seems odd is that they announced Half Life 2 as best game of the decade few years ago but on this list they didn't even include it.

Different staff from a few years ago probably.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

@samfisher56 said:

Halo Combat Evolved is miles better than 2.

In terms of single player? Sure

In terms of multiplayer? Not even remotely close. Halo 2's mp was the shit.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I am very disappointed.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark? Say what? Those games didn't compare to Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 or Half-life 1. N64 was terrible for FPS. The controls alone were abominable but couple that with the hilariously bad performance (Goldeneye in 4 player split screen was about 15 fps) and there's no way at all. Those shouldn't be on any list except for "childhood nostalgia."

I thought Perfect Dark in particular was unplayable because of performance issues. The frame rate was shockingly bad.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I am very disappointed.

They picked the superior Half-Life. IGN did God's work today.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Different staff from a few years ago probably.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Cloud_imperium:

the common denominator

They didn't pick best games, only games that influenced genre and were innovative at time or di originals

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@notorious1234na said:

@Cloud_imperium:

the common denominator

They didn't pick best games, only games that influenced genre and were innovative at time or di originals

If that's the case, why the hell is Halo 2 in here? Why is Call of Duty MW1 in here?

Battlefield 2 isn't even on here, which created huge innovation for multiplayer FPS games.

And Team Fortress 2? What about the original Team Fortress?

It's a crap list.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

While the gun combat from soldier to solider in Halflife 1 is superior, a large quantity of Halflife 2 is made up by ground to air combat which arguably hasn't been surpassed.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkLink77

Thoughts:

LOL Left 4 Dead 2. Really?

Not my favorite Battlefield, but sure.

You picked the wrong Quake, IGN. Where is Quake III?

Yeah, Team Fortress 2 is great.

Bioshock is cool, but not what I would have picked, personally.

**** Call of Duty 4.

Best multiplayer Halo, so sure.

IGN did God's work by picking the right Half-Life. **** Half-Life 2.

DOOM is the best shooter ever made.

1.6 is cool. Not what I would have picked, but cool.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

While the gun combat from soldier to solider in Halflife 1 is superior, a large quantity of Halflife 2 is made up by ground to air combat which arguably hasn't been surpassed.

Sure, if you haven't played a shooter since 2006.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

List 10 shooters with better ground to air set pieces, or air controlled AI that operates more organically.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Half-Life 2 has not aged well and has horrible gun play.. I honestly prefered FEAR over that game, looking back at it.. And I can see their reasoning with Halo 2 vs Halo.. Halo 1's campaign got repetitive in which large portions of the levels felt copy pasted.. Halo 2's multiplayer was also far better a multitude of ways including being Xbox Live (I believe?)..

And even though I did not like COD4 MW, I can see their reasoning behind it... It was such a massively successful game that to this day games are still taking pointers from it in both singleplayer and especially multiplayer.

Personally I think the biggest objection is Bioshock.. It's not even the best shooter imo of that gen, Deus Ex Human Revolution was far better.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

List 10 shooters with better ground to air set pieces, or air controlled AI that operates more organically.

Wait... did you actually just praise Half-Life 2's enemy AI? Seriously? They're dumb as bricks.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Wait... did you actually just praise Half-Life 2's enemy AI? Seriously? They're dumb as bricks.

Thought so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@sSubZerOo said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis..

That's 1 and it really doesn't.

Try again.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Thought so.

You're avoiding the question.

Tell me what you think is so special about those set pieces and I will list ten games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814

@uninspiredcup said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis..

Try again.

... Crysis has far better air based enemy AI, not to mention far more on screen.. I can't believe we even have people trying to say Half-Life 2's AI was good.. It didn't, the only Half-Life ai that was seen as good was the original at it's release..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Thought so.

Tell me what you think is so special about those set pieces and I will list ten games.

Yes, I'll type out 6 objective paragraphs to be automatically dismissed so you can avoid your own bold interjection.

Come on man, you made a big claim like it was easily outdone, yet seem to be having some real trouble digging them out.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Thought so.

Yes, I'll type out 6 objective paragraphs to be automatically dismissed so you can avoid your own bold interjection.

How the hell am I supposed to provide a list when I don't know how you're going to judge it? Tell me what's so good about them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I think he means fight against the chopper, or just flying enemies in general.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

@jg4xchamp said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I got that part, but I want to know WHY he thinks they're good.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Notorious1234NA

@DragonfireXZ95:

er they fit criteria

• Halo2 brought online multiplayer to consoles and why not the 1st one that gained most traction and showed others that this was the next step.
  • MW1 I shouldn't have to explain how influential that game was at the time- too many COD copy cat games made and still being made long after
  • TF2- the description says it, "competitive team-based multiplayer"

All those games were very influential and pretty much set the bar for future titles within genre.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sSubZerOo said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis..

Try again.

... Crysis has far better air based enemy AI, not to mention far more on screen.. I can't believe we even have people trying to say Half-Life 2's AI was good.. It didn't, the only Half-Life ai that was seen as good was the original at it's release..

Nope. Has tons of issues. Doesn't really do much either other than hover.

Loading Video...

Halflife 2 = distance itself when hit, change target priority, reposition itself constantly, actively attempt to dodge, predict players position (i.e. bomb drops) and that's ignoring the set pieces, animation and sound effects.

Loading Video...

I know it's cool and hip to be cynical and try bash Halflfie 2 and I'll certainty agree the ground AI is a letdown coming off the first, but anyone arguing the air AI is anything other than exceptional is living in lalal land.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Notorious1234NA

To clarify, put it like this.

One guy will say what are the top graphically demanding games of all time?

Some dumbass will list Crysis.

Thats what this list is like.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Some of these posts are hard to read, it's an opinion people. Make your own list and be happy with it

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp
@DarkLink77 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I got that part, but I want to know WHY he thinks they're good.

Because it's actually solidly done, the thing is, it's fucking chopper/plane battles. And those things have always been universally garbage in every game ever, so it's the most tallest midget shit.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

garbage ass list. l4d and bioshock don't deserve to be anywhere near a top ten. also, putting halo2 on there instead of the original is downright criminal. opinions are opinions and all but eff......

og quake wasn't even that good and neither was tf2 as far as i'm concerned. if anything quake 3 arena slaps the shit out of of tf2 as a purely mp game. wheres that masterpiece?