IGN: Uncharted 3 is Better Than Hollywood

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

10GN confirmed? Quite alot of praising for the game. :D

Uncharted 3 is Better Than Hollywood

How Nathan Drake's latest outdoes the action films that inspired it.

Despite myself, I love Nathan Drake. More rugged than Jason Statham, sexier than Indiana Jones and much less of a jerk than Han Solo, he is one of the great action heroes. Watching him escape death by a hair is endlessly compelling. He isn't just one of the PlayStation 3's best heroes, he's one of the best game characters of this console generation. And he hasamazinghair.

Uncharted 3is finished and will be on shelves in just under a month, and before we get stuck into the review, I got my first chance to actually play two of the scenarios that have had everybody salivating for the past eight months: the burning mansion and the cargo plane escape. Although I've seen both of these short missions before, it's suprising how different it is when you're actually playing them. One sees Nathan and Sully escaping a grand old building as it erupts in flames and crumbles to pieces around them, where the other shows Drake board a cargo plane as it takes off and fight off the bad guys within whilst dodging barrels and crates as they fly out of the loading bay and into the sky. Both are action sequences better than anything Hollywood has come up with in the past five years.

It's indicative of a wider shift in games, this – where once they were trying their best to approximate the excitement and visual spectacle of a Hollywood blockbuster, now they're effortlessly outdoing them. It's partly because of the graphical capabilities of modern consoles, of course; Uncharted 3 looks incredible, whether it's the thoughtful lighting, the realistic, context-sensitive animation or the thoughtful cinematography, the camera following Drake dramatically as he leaps, stumbles and hangs on for dear life, or framing the sunrise in the background as he stretches out from Elena's buggy towards the landing gear of the plane.

But it's also to do with the creativity of the design, the flow and pace of the action set-ups. It's not just about guns and explosions, as anyone who's suffered through one of the Transformers movies can tell you. The first two Uncharted games might have had a thing or two to learn when it comes to pacing, but Naughty Dog has learned from experience. And lastly, it's to do with characterisation. Nathan Drake might not be the deepest character in the world, but he's a more endearing personality than most movie action heroes, not to mention the useless meat-heads that typically populate game worlds.

There's a problem that games have that films don't, though, and that's the unknown quantity of the actual player. Like every Uncharted game before it, Drake's Deception is flawless until you hit a momentary stumbling block and ruin the flow. Miss the Triangle prompt next to a beam that you have to kick down from the ceiling, and you can spend a couple of minutes running pointlessly back and forth across a room as the tension and sense of grand adventure disappear in a flash. Or Sully might get himself momentarily caught in a doorway, temporarily breaking the illusion that this is all really happening in front of you.

Well, ain't that pretty?

Well, ain't that pretty?

Thing is, though, that Uncharted 3 almost never seems to slip up. Its signposting is much improved since Drake's Fortune. You're guided seamlessly through action sequences so intense and high-octane that spectators can't help but laugh out loud as Drake climbs up the cargo plane's landing gear as it takes off, or hangs by his fingernails from a crumbling banister as everything around him goes up in flames. If these two scenarios represent the overall pace of the full game, we're in for one hell of a ride.

I wish they still made movies like this. The fact that they don't, though, is good news for games – and great news for the people who play them.

As we speak, Uncharted 3 review code is winging its way to our offices. Look out for our final verdict on what looks like Nathan Drake's greatest adventure in the near future.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1198579p1.html

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Very good....i can't wait for U3.I already have preorder the game.......GOTY for sure.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
As much as I love Nathan Drake and the Uncharted series, this is coming from IGN.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

What a load of s***.

Then again, this is IGN. It's to be expected.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
I honesty don't care what it scores, just give me the damn game already.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
please stop, the full game isnt even out yet and people are praising the 2 parts shown?...i mean lets wait people
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts
Yeap, my HYPE is stil 10 out of 10. IGN staff are big fans of Uncharted.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 suitmypants
Member since 2004 • 1015 Posts

I have to agree. Nathan Drake is one of the best (if not, the best) characters this generation has seen. He is funny, charming, witty, and has personal flaws (unlike 90% of protagonists).

He has depth

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
The game is going to get a 10.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

uncharted 3 is going to melt faces

I still hate the multiplayer though

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#13 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

In some ways, there are many movies these days have worse dialogues and story than Uncharted 2

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

My body is redy Naughty Gods, my body.......

hmmmmm

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="suitmypants"]

I have to agree. Nathan Drake is one of the best (if not, the best) characters this generation has seen. He is funny, charming, witty, and has personal flaws (unlike 90% of protagonists).

He has depth

DarkLink77

:lol:

He has depth.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series :? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Gonna be a great game for sure That's all it counts.... And Nathan is awesome for sure, very likeable one...and not a bald **** :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="suitmypants"]

He has depth

StrongDeadlift

He has depth.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.

He's fine as the adventure hero archetype. But anyone who says he has depth is out of their mind.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
It's going to get 9. Average Metacritic score of 93. Now let's give it a rest until it comes out. :(
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="suitmypants"]

He has depth

He has depth.

He does, just because his character is generic doesnt mean that he doesnt have any depth.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

He has depth.

DarkLink77

Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.

He's fine as the adventure hero archetype. But anyone who says he has depth is out of their mind.

Im just saying. It wasnt about your comment about depth, I was just pointing out that you go out of your way to troll every Uncharted thread.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I feel like this game will get an extremely high amount of praise. Oddly enough i'm not that hyped for this.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn. StrongDeadlift

Im just saying. You go out of your way to troll every Uncharted thread.

How is stating facts trolling? :?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="suitmypants"]

He has depth

He has depth.

He does, just because his character is generic doesnt mean that he doesnt have any depth.

True, but he doesn't have any depth anyway.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 suitmypants

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

He has depth.

DarkLink77

Okay, I agree with the archtype, but according to this series, it seems like Drake's demons will finally be explored. There is going to be a lot of backlashing from Sully and their friendship will begin to struggle. So yeah, it wont be bad to say he has depth. Also, you cannot deny that he doesn't have charm. He has a lot of personality compared to Master Chief (this is not a Halo bashing remark).
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series :? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.

""What a load of s***. Then again, this is IGN. It's to be expected."" Look ^^ what he say before that so yeah hes hate is that strong.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

He has depth.

DarkLink77

Yes he does. He is a full fledged character and has character flaws.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn. suitmypants

Okay, I agree with the archtype, but according to this series, it seems like Drake's demons will finally be explored. There is going to be a lot of backlashing from Sully and their friendship will begin to struggle. So yeah, it wont be bad to say he has depth. Also, you cannot deny that he doesn't have charm. He has a lot of personality compared to Master Chief (this is not a Halo bashing remark).

Well, maybe after Uncharted 3 he will have depth of character. As of right now, he does not. And the Chief is supposed to (largely) be a blank slate for the player to project on. Drake isn't, so that's kind of a moot point.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="gaming25"] He does, just because his character is generic doesnt mean that he doesnt have any depth.gaming25

He's a mass murderer who shrugs it all off with one-liners and devilish charm. He has no depth at all.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrongDeadlift
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] How is stating facts trolling? :?

It wasnt about your comment about depth. You make it a point to go into every Uncharted thread and bash the game. I dont understand how you can hate the franchise as much as you act like you do, when you havent even played Uncharted 3. (not even the beta)
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series :? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.

""What a load of s***. Then again, this is IGN. It's to be expected."" Look ^^ what he say before that so yeah hes hate is that strong.

Not nearly as strong as IGN's hyperbole. Hence, "What a load of s***."
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] How is stating facts trolling? :?

It wasnt about your comment about depth. You make it a point to go into every Uncharted thread and bash the game. I dont understand how you can hate the franchise as much as you act like you do, when you havent even played Uncharted 3. (not even the beta)

I post in most threads on the first page. There just happen to be lots of Uncharted threads right now.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He's fine as the adventure hero archetype. But anyone who says he has depth is out of their mind.

DarkLink77

Im just saying. You go out of your way to troll every Uncharted thread.

Your Opinion =/= Fact

I don't care if its generally true, you thinking your opinions are fact bring no justification for trolling. Just one more of the plagues that make System Wars annoying rather than actually treating it as a debate area. Bravo.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrongDeadlift
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Is your hatred really this deep for the Uncharted series :? Do you really hate the game THIS much? cot damn.

I was referencing every post he makes in an Uncharted thread.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gaming25
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

True, but he doesn't have any depth anyway.DarkLink77

He's a mass murderer who shrugs it all off with one-liners and devilish charm. He has no depth at all.

He doesnt keep the same exact mood for the entire game, so he has depth.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts
Doesnt IGN overhype and praise every big game prior to release? They are becoming too corporate imo. Not every big name game is *!*!**awesome**!*!*!*! :P I love the Uncharted series, i just dont trust IGNs previews and hype
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's sounding good.

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 suitmypants

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="gaming25"] He does, just because his character is generic doesnt mean that he doesnt have any depth.gaming25

Yes he does. He is a full fledged character and not 1 dimensional.

However, he does have a lot of personality compared to the meat heads (Resistance, Halo, Gears of War, Killzone, CoD)
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

"You're guided seamlessly through action sequences"

Whenever a game does this,it is bashed like there's no tomorrow.And yet,Uncharted gets a free pass.Why?

I can understand that there are people who like these kind of things and its okay but it baffles me when the same people praising uncharted bash CoD campaigns for being too linear and movie-like.

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 suitmypants
[QUOTE="gaming25"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] True, but he doesn't have any depth anyway.DarkLink77

No, he has more charm in his interactions with other people and himself.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Im just saying. You go out of your way to troll every Uncharted thread.lx_theo

Your Opinion =/= Fact

I don't care if its generally true, you thinking your opinions are fact bring no justification for trolling. Just one more of the plagues that make System Wars annoying rather than actually treating it as a debate area. Bravo.

Well, since no one here actually wants to debate with anything other than scores... :roll:
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Not nearly as strong as IGN's hyperbole. Hence, "What a load of s***."

Killing your argument is easy. They have play Uncharted 3,have you play and beat Uncharted 3 completely to actually even have a hint of weight in your attack.? NO? Then their hyperbole is 1 billion times more credible than your attacks to the site and article.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 suitmypants

"You're guided seamlessly through action sequences"

Whenever a game does this,it is bashed like there's no tomorrow.And yet,Uncharted gets a free pass.Why?

I can understand that there are people who like these kind of things and its okay but it baffles me when the same people praising uncharted bash CoD campaigns for being too linear and movie-like.

call_of_duty_10

its just trolling. No one minds action sequences as long as it does not detract from a game/story

Hoznary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hoznary
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
But he still is a mass murderer! I mean in U2 he initiated a miniature war ove a freaking artifact that he was not even sure existed! And he laughs at it! even Zoran said that he was a killer like him. TBH at this point Marcus Fenix has more depth than Drake has
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 suitmypants
But he still is a mass murderer! I mean in U2 he initiated a miniature war ove a freaking artifact that he was not even sure existed! And he laughs at it! even Zoran said that he was a killer like him. TBH at this point Marcus Fenix has more depth than Drake hasHoznary
I can see where you're coming from, but I still have to disagree and heres why: Marcus Fenix is mostly just rambling about locusts and telling people what to do, while Drake is charming and clever. They are both one-sided characters, HOWEVER, it really comes down to personal preference of who finds who more entertaining, and it seems as if many reviewers find Drake entertaining and memorable. Also, this third installment will definitely explore Drake a lot more compared to the past two games so I believe Drake will finally start to have some depth.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gaming25
But he still is a mass murderer! I mean in U2 he initiated a miniature war ove a freaking artifact that he was not even sure existed! And he laughs at it! even Zoran said that he was a killer like him. TBH at this point Marcus Fenix has more depth than Drake hasHoznary
He isnt a mass muderer. He does cause a lot of conflict, but he still is killing bad guys. I think ND said this before in an interview and said that they will correct this in UC3.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 suitmypants

[QUOTE="suitmypants"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He's fine as the adventure hero archetype. But anyone who says he has depth is out of their mind.

DarkLink77

Well, maybe after Uncharted 3 he will have depth of character. As of right now, he does not. And the Chief is supposed to (largely) be a blank slate for the player to project on. Drake isn't, so that's kind of a moot point.

Sure, but he does say some things, so technically him being a blank slate can be argued (but this is not the debate at hand). But I guess you can say Nathan is more memorable (this is arguable but it seems like the majority agrees) compared to other meatheads like Resistance, Gears of War, Killzone, CoD, etc

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
But is it Oscar worthy like GTA IV?
UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts
[QUOTE="Hoznary"]But he still is a mass murderer! I mean in U2 he initiated a miniature war ove a freaking artifact that he was not even sure existed! And he laughs at it! even Zoran said that he was a killer like him. TBH at this point Marcus Fenix has more depth than Drake hasgaming25
He isnt a mass muderer. He does cause a lot of conflict, but he still is killing bad guys. I think ND said this before in an interview and said that they will correct this in UC3.

lol at people complaining and saying he is a mass murderer. talk about coming up with things because there is nothing bad to say about it.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 suitmypants
But is it Oscar worthy like GTA IV?AAllxxjjnn
It's really subjective. There is no real win to that answer.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

I have to agree. Nathan Drake is one of the most generic characters this generation has seen.

He has no depth and looks like most game protaganists (short black hair, medium build, ect.)

suitmypants

fixed.