If PSVITA had modern warfare 3 cross platform, would it win the handheld War?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NBKNAS
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts

hi, first post so hopefully it's not too lame or noobish for you guys :oops:

My question is, they have said that the ps Vita can be used as a ps3 controller which is nice. Also that with dual analog sticks, FPS are going to be VERY interesting.

Now, the question is, If Sony were to invest in convincing Activision in making a Modern Warfare 3 for PSVita that will perform exactly like the PS3 version(except lower resolution since it's a smaller screen), but that you'd be able to play online against ps3 users, do you think that this type of giganticstunt could convince a lot of people to get that over a 3ds etc.

Would that convince you to get one?And do you think it will bring some people who didn't think of getting one, into getting one?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Would it win? No.

Would it help the Vita a little bit? Maybe.

:P

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.charizard1605

really depends though, cross platform play might actually sway things a little but i doubt it would happen.At the same time it gives them a selling point for MW3 on PS vita.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NBKNAS

Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.charizard1605

yeah but pokemon isn't really bringing any more new players to the market, it has it's big niche. While Trust me, being able to play Modern Warfare 3 anywhere with your friends is something that might bring a new audience.

i've never had a handheld since Gameboy and this would get me to get one for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.razgriz_101

really depends though, cross platform play might actually sway things a little but i doubt it would happen.At the same time it gives them a selling point for MW3 on PS vita.

Yes, it would certainly help. Whereas I can say with certainty not ALL CoD players would want to play the game on a handheld, quite a few of them might want to, and to them, it will be an appealing feature. So, Call of Duty on the Vita might help it, but it won't win it the handheld war like TC asked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.NBKNAS

yeah but pokemon isn't really bringing any more new players to the market, it has it's big niche. While Trust me, being able to play Modern Warfare 3 anywhere with your friends is something that might bring a new audience.

i've never had a handheld since Gameboy and this would get me to get one for sure.

Pokemon has its own fanbase of over 20 million. Call of Duty also has its own 20 million+ fanbase, except that most of them won't want to play it on a handheld. Pretty sure Pokemon will sell more handhelds.
NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NBKNAS

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Not really. The 3DS has Pokemon, and honestly, nothing sells like Pokemon. Also, most CoD players really wouldn't want to game on a handheld anyway.charizard1605

Yes, it would certainly help. Whereas I can say with certainty not ALL CoD players would want to play the game on a handheld, quite a few of them might want to, and to them, it will be an appealing feature. So, Call of Duty on the Vita might help it, but it won't win it the handheld war like TC asked.

While it might not win the war, it might sway other developpers into putting morecross platform high end games like that.. kind of making the PSVITA and PS3 a must combination.

imagine NHL 12, FIFA games being able to crossplay too

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

No, no way.

People would continue to care only about COD on consoles, and secondly the 3ds has pokemon.

POKEMANZ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

NBKNAS

While it might not win the war, it might sway other developpers into putting morecross platform high end games like that.. kind of making the PSVITA and PS3 a must combination.

Yes, it will certainly be a major selling point for the system. However, beyond Sony, I doubt other developers will really make use of the feature. Remember Remote Play? GBA-GCN Connectivity? Remember how those turned out?
NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NBKNAS

[QUOTE="NBKNAS"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Yes, it would certainly help. Whereas I can say with certainty not ALL CoD players would want to play the game on a handheld, quite a few of them might want to, and to them, it will be an appealing feature. So, Call of Duty on the Vita might help it, but it won't win it the handheld war like TC asked.charizard1605

Yes, it will certainly be a major selling point for the system. However, beyond Sony, I doubt other developers will really make use of the feature. Remember Remote Play? GBA-GCN Connectivity? Remember how those turned out?

True, however, if (and i am speculating) the way the PSVita is built in terms of programming and if it is an easy process to PORT a ps3 game into a PSVita without having to reprogram the whole game, it might be huge. The reason some will think that people won't play Call of Duty on a handheld is for the simple reason that all the handheld FPS have sucked over the years.

With Dual Stick analog and the power of the PSVita, it might change. who knows... obviously it's speculation

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I have ZERO interest in playing FPSs on a handheld. It will go over great with bro gamers who never showed interest in handhelds before though.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Win the handheld war? Certainly not, but it could give the Vita a nice boost in sales. I for one am very insterested in a Call of Duty on the go, but I can hardly speak for the masses :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as winning the handheld war.

But a CoD game on PS Vita can surely guarantee a surge in Vita sales, that's for sure. Especially now with dual analog controls plus the implementation of Touch controls as well.

CoD games are massive sellers. There's no denying there.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NBKNAS

obviously i wasn't comparing it to the DS/DSi, talking more about the 3DS, but i'll be honest, i haven't followed the sales in details. But I heard it's not selling as good as their predecessors.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="NBKNAS"]

NBKNAS

True, however, if (and i am speculating) the way the PSVita is built in terms of programming and if it is an easy process to PORT a ps3 game into a PSVita without having to reprogram the whole game, it might be huge. The reason some will think that people won't play Call of Duty on a handheld is for the simple reason that all the handheld FPS have sucked over the years.

With Dual Stick analog and the power of the PSVita, it might change. who knows... obviously it's speculation

This is true. The Vita's architecture might actually make it very easy to encourage cross platform here. You know what, you're right? This is certainly a good selling point for the Vita. Let's see how it turns out though.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That would be quite cool if you ask me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#19 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

It would be neat, but "hardcore" gamers don't want to go out and buy a handheld for it. They're gonna stick to their consoles

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Nahhhh FPS are not great in handhelds, there are better experinces out there...PC, consoles and MW3 is a lamer one :P
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#21 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Forget cross platform play. A high quality shooter on a capable handheld like the Vita would be killer. It wouldn't sell like Pokemon, but I don't think free money would go as fast as Pokemon.
PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

I don't think many people would be interested in playing MW3 on a handheld over the console versions. I just can't see what would be added other than solely the portability.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NBKNAS

I don't think many people would be interested in playing MW3 on a handheld over the console versions. I just can't see what would be added other than solely the portability.

PoindeJ

I don't know.. I don't think we can assume until we actually TRY a really good FPS on a handheld. I mean if it feels exactly like a console, but you can be anywhere, you can be at a friend's house and they playing cod, you can pop it on and play with them. or Games like Fifa 12, NHL, Madden etc.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

no it wont console and hand helds are not the same market

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
multiplayer fpses on handhelds, haven'et worked sales wise really so far. Plus who really needs to play cod on the go? im sure most casuals don't even want that.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I don't know if it would win it, but it would definitely make me go outside and buy one.

flipdc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 flipdc5
Member since 2005 • 1312 Posts

1. Alienate the core fanbase

2. Waste 300+ for hardware and software

3. Tiny screen

4. Unconfortable ergonomic desgin for fps

For what? a little gaming mobility until the battery runs off?

If it didn't work for PSP and the DS, it won't work for PSV and the 3DS; upgraded graphics or not.

You're stuck at home playing a handheld when worrying about other things (sunglare, wifi hotspots and battery life) so you might as well use the console counterpart.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NBKNAS

1. Alienate the core fanbase

2. Waste 300+ for hardware and software

3. Tiny screen

4. Unconfortable ergonomic desgin for fps

For what? a little gaming mobility until the battery runs off?

If it didn't work for PSP and the DS, it won't work for PSV and the 3DS; upgraded graphics or not.

You're stuck at home playing a handheld when worrying about other things (sunglare, wifi hotspots and battery life) so you might as well use the console counterpart.

flipdc5

wtf... might as well say that there's no point in getting ANY HANDHELD for ANYTHING. I could say the same crap for ANY GAME.. TINY SCREEN FOR MARIO.

Some of you are making no sense. you're dissing it for being a handheld. it's not a valid point. If you don't like handhelds, you shouldn't even be caring about this discussion. It didn't work for the PSP because if you don't have dual analog sticks, FPS JUST PLAIN SUCKS.

So what if i say cross platform Fifa Games or Hockey GAmes or Uncharted or any game.. you're just basically saying that it doesn't matter, a handheld sucks. So why are you even discussing in a handheld thread when you just think it sucks alltogether.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
MW3 probably would surge sales. But Sony shouldn't make a deal with the devil just to win the handheld war.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have no interest in CoD. It being on the Vita isn't going to change that.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Not gonna happen to be honest, there's no L2 and R2 and no L3 and R3, which means anybody playing on the Vita would be at a huge disadvantage, plus, since 3G can't be used for gameplay, you'd be stuck playing online in your house. Why not just play the PS3 version? I actually think that the Vita being delayed pretty much stops MW3 from being a big hitter if it does come out for the handheld, anybody who wants the game will already have it by the time it comes out whenever the handheld launches (beginning of 2012 sometime). What WOULD work, is a completely unique CoD game, release it in August time, right in the middle of 1. The next two CoD games and 2. a month notorious for having hardly any game releases.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Thank god this will never happen. I love how anti-shooter the handhelds are.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

if the vita got mW3 so would the 3ds they wouldnt strictly have it for one handheld

flipdc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flipdc5
Member since 2005 • 1312 Posts

[QUOTE="flipdc5"]

NBKNAS

wtf... might as well say that there's no point in getting ANY HANDHELD for ANYTHING. I could say the same crap for ANY GAME.. TINY SCREEN FOR MARIO.

Some of you are making no sense. you're dissing it for being a handheld. it's not a valid point. If you don't like handhelds, you shouldn't even be caring about this discussion. It didn't work for the PSP because if you don't have dual analog sticks, FPS JUST PLAIN SUCKS.

So what if i say cross platform Fifa Games or Hockey GAmes or Uncharted or any game.. you're just basically saying that it doesn't matter, a handheld sucks. So why are you even discussing in a handheld thread when you just think it sucks alltogether.

Never said handheld gaming sucks. All i'm saying is some genres like fps dosen't fit with the "on the go" handhelds. A common thing consumers ask themselfs is why buy a portable port when i can play it on a big screen? I just can't see it selling well or winning the handheld war. For PSV to sell well and win, It needs unique games like Patapon. That's why 3DS is failing becuase of ports and remakes.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
In my very own opinion it would be an automatic lose. I do not want that retrash on my Vita poisoning the overall library.. :lol: Retrash it's like rehash and trash rolled into one :lol:
mm551144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mm551144
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts
Yes
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]In my very own opinion it would be an automatic lose. I do not want that retrash on my Vita poisoning the overall library.. :lol: Retrash it's like rehash and trash rolled into one :lol:

Sweet avatar bro. And that's a pretty silly thing to say anyway, it would sell some handhelds, which means people would want to make games for it, which means you'd get more games. and I'd rather have a CoD game than some rubbish shovelware or Imagine Babyz HD or whatever else they'll end up barfing up.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]In my very own opinion it would be an automatic lose. I do not want that retrash on my Vita poisoning the overall library.. :lol: Retrash it's like rehash and trash rolled into one :lol:

Sweet avatar bro. And that's a pretty silly thing to say anyway, it would sell some handhelds, which means people would want to make games for it, which means you'd get more games. and I'd rather have a CoD game than some rubbish shovelware or Imagine Babyz HD or whatever else they'll end up barfing up.

Reznov is a god :P It'll probably end up like the PSP game Roads to Victory or even just Spec Ops and since it's Activision they'll want full price for it. I just want nothing to do with MW3 on Vita i bought the past 3 CoD games and only WaW was balanced with minimal bugs.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I believe it was confirmed that cross platformed play was too much for the Vita with games like CoD. It would be amazing though and I think it would be a bigger selling point than some might suspect. Hell its the kind of thing that would boost both Vita and PS3 sales.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

if the vita got mW3 so would the 3ds they wouldnt strictly have it for one handheld

Mario1331

The 3DS isn't getting MW3. This is confirmed.

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NBKNAS

Mario1331

As if it will be comparable.

I used Modern Warfare 3 as an example. It could be many other Major games like UFC, Fifa, NHL, Madden, Coop Games etc. crossplatforming. I used COD cause it's a big seller.

and someone who said there is no R3 and all that, you have two touch panels that can easy be used, heck it could possibly give a slight advantage to the handheld.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

minh800

The 3DS isn't getting MW3. This is confirmed.

N-Space is making MW3 for the DS though.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#43 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
No because by then everyone would have it for console... :|
joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Love how everyone bagged psp for the lack of the 2nd analogue stick so it couldn't play fps and now that it does apparently fps don't work on handhelds... ah well

NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NBKNAS

Love how everyone bagged psp for the lack of the 2nd analogue stick so it couldn't play fps and now that it does apparently fps don't work on handhelds... ah well

joel_c17

exactly, especially when they didn't even try it.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I don't know and I don't really care. But if EA would do that with BF3 that would be awesome. I would probably buy it.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#47 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Would be awesome for the Vita but I bet the COD fans would prefer getting the full experience on the 360/PS3/PC.
NBKNAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NBKNAS

Would be awesome for the Vita but I bet the COD fans would prefer getting the full experience on the 360/PS3/PC.Kenny789

I'm pretty sure they'll probably get both lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

well ...first we must try the dual analog and see how good it feels to play the game...

but cod players like to put their gameplays online....if vita doesnt have a video out port ..it will be fail..

also... will it be watered down in features? that might affect sales too.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

If i buy a VITA is for a original Handheld games not for a consoles games. We need original ideas, not ports from consoles. look what happen with the psp. If you have a 42 inch tv. What is the point?