If Nintendo doesn't release Switch games on the Wii U they are scums

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Apparently the power gap between the docked Wii U and Switch isn't even big. The Wii U is likely more powerful than the undocked Switch.

Nintendo previously said they would end Wii U production. Console has been out for less than 5 years. Xbox 360/PS3 still get support over a decade after their release dates.

Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 along with a bunch of others could run on the Wii U so why just ditch it and screw over millions of gamers who supported your garbage console?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

That's a bit of an overreaction if I ever saw one. They want to drop the WiiU like the dead weight it is, and I certainly don't blame them.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yeah...no

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Juub1990
@lundy86_4 said:

That's a bit of an overreaction if I ever saw one. They want to drop the WiiU like the dead weight it is, and I certainly don't blame them.

How is it an overreaction? You're announcing you're going to discontinue a system not even 5 years into its life and release a barely more capable one and won't release the games for the older one screwing 12 million of users in the process. That's a scumbag move.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Wait I thought everyone hated the Wii U.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

I agree but that's why I didn't buy the pos, I knew the whole situation would be a disaster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

No they aren't.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69485 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

Most people do. The change of heart occurred when Nintendo announced the Switch which is WiiU 2.0 without any real upgrade in performance. Now the WiiU looks like a gem.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Its not happening, why undercut their Switch sales?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enzyme36

@Pedro: So now what... the masses will just start supporting the Wii U and buying games for the Wii U out of spite? I doubt it.

SW been saying Nintendo needs to separate from the Wii U for years. Now they are, and knickers get twisted.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Pedro said:
@enzyme36 said:

Most people do. The change of heart occurred when Nintendo announced the Switch which is WiiU 2.0 without any real upgrade in performance. Now the WiiU looks like a gem.

Exactly. The Wii-U hardware is no gem. It's still a POS. But when you release a system that barely beats the already existing POS, people are gonna ask - why not just keep supporting the POS? What Nintendo is doing here (marketing as a home console) makes no sense. This should have been marketed as the 3DS replacement, and the Wii-U should have had a hardware revision to keep it going 2 more years...both for those that already own the system and those that might get in with a hardware revision. That is until a proper next gen replacement home console could be conceived.

Switch is the perfect name for the system, as in Bait and Switch.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Porting the games over would take more effort than you think.

I don't think they are close in specs. If that is perceived in the software atm, then that is likely just early-console awkwardness and a lack of ground up development with the full hardware. The best guesses out there have the Switch at roughly twice the teraflops.

It's also a different architecture. Switch uses ARM chips. Switch doesn't have dual screen gaming. The WiiU doesn't have joycons.

So is it really worth it to Nintendo to port these over to the WiiU, when that system doesn't even have much user base to justify it? They must support the Switch above all right now, and that is the best way to serve Nintendo customers because the more the Switch sells, the more likely it is that third parties support the system.

The one thing I'd wonder about is MarioKart 8. It would be nice for Nintendo to at least port over some of those deluxe features to the WiiU version, seeing how it was a bit ridiculous that MK8 didn't have a proper battle mode. It couldn't be that hard to port that stuff over since it is the same game aside from that an a couple other things.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro  Online

@enzyme36 said:

@Pedro: So now what... the masses will just start supporting the Wii U and buying games for the Wii U out of spite? I doubt it.

SW been saying Nintendo needs to separate from the Wii U for years. Now they are, and knickers get twisted.

I am not sure how you drew that conclusion. Also Nintendo did not separate itself from the WiiU it actually repackaged it with more Wii functionality

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Forget about the Wiiu for a second, will Nintendo continue supporting the 3DS with good games?

I think they will move away from it like there is no tomorrow. They will keep releasing games like Pokemon (shovelwares), though.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nah...but I preordered breath of the wild on both wii u and switch. Gonna keep the wii u copy sealed. That thing is going to be a big collector's item. I doubt they'll make more after the initial launch.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I'll give them the pass on that if it improves the chances they rebound- and I think it will.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990
@charizard1605 said:

No they aren't.

For leaving 12 million customers behind yes they are.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

But if they do release them on the WiiU, they're idiots.

Rock and a hard place.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

How is it an overreaction? You're announcing you're going to discontinue a system not even 5 years into its life and release a barely more capable one and won't release the games for the older one screwing 12 million of users in the process. That's a scumbag move.

Eh, not really. The system is dead in the water, and has had years of support. They have no obligation to support an older system.

The overreaction is in calling them scum or scumbags.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990

@ConanTheStoner said:

Rock and a hard place.

Supporting the system isn't a sign of idiocy. It's a sign that you give back to your customers.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Rock and a hard place.

Supporting the system isn't a sign of idiocy. It's a sign that you give back to your customers.

What customers? The minority that only manage to sell above 10 million? LOL!

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Juub1990
@lundy86_4 said:

Eh, not really. The system is dead in the water, and has had years of support. They have no obligation to support an older system.

It had 3 and a half years of support. Let's be honest, 2016 was dead for the Wii U.

The system still sold 12 million units and millions are still playing it. They have no obligation which is exactly why they're choosing not to. Thanks for stating the obvious.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enzyme36

@Pedro: I drew that conclusion because it is what is implied in the thread title.

I don't care how many more schmegabytes are in or not in the Switch. It's a new console with new games, I'm sorry if you can't accept that. Power is not why I go to consoles.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

It had 3 and a half years of support. Let's be honest, 2016 was dead for the Wii U.

The system still sold 12 million units and millions are still playing it. They have no obligation which is exactly why they're choosing not to. Thanks for stating the obvious.

The Wii Sold 100 million units, and majority were still playing it, they had no obligation to abandon that fanbase for the Wii U which is now a failure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro  Online

@lundy86_4 said:

Both MS and Sony are supporting their systems all the way to end. Even the 360 got Rise of Tomb Raider after 2 years of Xbox One being on the market. The PS4Pro and the Scorpio are not going to leave the original install base behind. So, it is a valid criticism. The Switch is not in a league of its own performance wise and is marginally better when docked. Games that can run on the Switch can also run on the WiiU. With its competitors supporting earlier systems it leaves Nintendo being the one to abandon their existing hardware for new hardware that is the most marginally better system to have exclusives.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

It's not worth it to make games for both the Wii U and the Switch. Most of the current Wii U user base is probably moving on to the Switch so it's already small user base will be that much smaller.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Juub1990

@GunSmith1_basic said:

I don't think they are close in specs. If that is perceived in the software atm, then that is likely just early-console awkwardness and a lack of ground up development with the full hardware. The best guesses out there have the Switch at roughly twice the teraflops.

Didn't stop devs from porting games from the PS3 to PS4 despite the architectural differences.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990
@FireEmblem_Man said:

The Wii Sold 100 million units, and majority were still playing it, they had no obligation to abandon that fanbase for the Wii U which is now a failure.

That just makes Nintendo seem more scummy.

The Wii was also supported for over 8 years. Wii U isn't even 5 years old.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@Juub1990 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Rock and a hard place.

Yeah, I mean in terms of running a business they'd be idiots lol.

I mean, I'm with you man. The portability of the Switch does nothing for me, I'm going to use it as a console. So of course I'd rather just get all those games on the WiiU instead of buying a new console. Unless there would be some sizable performance difference or something, I'd be just fine playing those games on WiiU if it were an option. I'D WELCOME THAT.

But Nintendo isn't going to see any more success from the WiiU. It was dead from the start, I'm surprised that they supported it as much as they did.

Now they're hoping to make some waves with a new platform. They're banking on new branding, portability, and a unified development ecosystem bringing them some success. Though Nintendo, much more so than any other console maker, depends on having exclusive content to move units. Without exclusive content on the Switch they'll be signing their own death sentence in the long run.

So yes, I do get your point. You're seeing Nintendos actions as anti-consumer and not "for the gamers", fine. But it would still be an idiotic decision for them nonetheless.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

The WiiU was a failed system.. Nintendo knew this a few years ago (when people stopped buying it..lol).

The switch.. IMO.. will likely fail within 2 yrs.. unless i see a HUGE avalanche of 3rd party support.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Not going to happen. WiiU install base is too small to bother.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juub1990
@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah, I mean in terms of running a business they'd be idiots lol.

I mean, I'm with you man. The portability of the Switch does nothing for me, I'm going to use it as a console. So of course I'd rather just get all those games on the WiiU instead of buying a new console. Unless there would be some sizable performance difference or something, I'd be just fine playing those games on WiiU if it were an option.

But Nintendo isn't going to see any more success from the WiiU. It was dead from the start, I'm surprised that they supported it as much as they did.

Now they're hoping to make some waves with a new platform. They're banking on new branding, portability, and a unified development ecosystem bringing them some success. Though Nintendo, much more so than any other console maker, depends on having exclusive content to move units. Without exclusive content on the Switch they'll be signing their own death sentence in the long run.

So yes, I do get your point. You're seeing Nintendos actions as anti-consumer and not "for the gamers", fine. But it would still be an idiotic decision for them nonetheless.

From a business standpoint I 100% understand their decision. From a customer standpoint I can't get on board with that. Guess which side I'm on?

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

They need to create incentive for people to buy their new product. It's shitty but it makes sense considering they are trying to make a profit.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
@Juub1990 said:

From a business standpoint I 100% understand their decision. From a customer standpoint I can't get on board with that. Guess which side I'm on?

Absolutely man, me too. Same stance I have on the Scalebound drama.

All I'm saying is that I understand the bottom line reality of the situation(s). And it seems you do too. So we're good lol.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I have one and I think it's garbage, it's better if people moved on. Nintendo should've gotten minus rep points for the way they handled the Wii U.

Stock does drop with every Switch announcement so people are vigilant at least.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Look at the pricing of the console, peripherals and soon to be the online service. You think they're not scummy?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

You really expect Nintendo to tie the hands of their developers trying to support a dead platform? That's neither sensible or wise. They delivered Zelda for it as promised. They did their part to support the WiiU as best as they could with what they had. At least it is being sent off in admirable fashion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

Personally wished that Mario Kart 8 and Zelda weren't on Wii U.

I'd have more reason to buy a Switch then xD

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Am I the only one that finds it strange when people apply moral standards (in terms of capital gains, political issues are a different story) in regards to corporations? Yeah, the criticism is absolutely reasonable in this case but let's not act like Nintendo owes Wii U owners anything. They don't care about you. No company cares about you. They care about your purchasing power. I mean, I'm not trying to stifle discussion but it's like, "Yup, the sky is blue." Like who on earth would expect them to continue to support a dead platform?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

Didn't stop devs from porting games from the PS3 to PS4 despite the architectural differences.

the better analogy would be porting from the ps4 to the ps3. It is much, much easier to port from old hardware to new hardware than the reverse. Extra power can smooth over architectural differences. Making up a power deficit takes a lot of work. That's why third parties were not quick to port to the wiiu, and it's the challenge the Switch faces now.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Nintendo is a scum.. They release a super under power console and dare to charge this kind of price!

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

So very true. It's like when the ps4 came out...you could get a game on both systems for a long time...and there's lots of games still coming out...Nintendo is terrible.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

The switch is too overpriced imo

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

The Wii U has been on life support for a few years and now the decision has been made to formally pull the plug and/or remove the feeding tube. Unless you've just become familiar with the Wii U, the way Nintendo has addressed the U should be well known.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

why support dead weight? only 13 million sold. the number still connecting to nintendos servers on a regular basis is probably way way lower than that (i would be surprised if its over 5 million world wide).

its not like porting wiiu games to the switch of switch games to the wiiu would be trivial. the performance may be similar but the architecture is completely different. the hardware is very different. porting would take money, people and time. money, people and time that could be used to improve output on the switch.

if the wiiu still had a high level of engagement. if it still had strong software sales then it could be justified. but it doesnt. its been dead for well over a year now. very few people use it on a regular basis. most are in mothballs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Im not going to make villains out of Nintendo over something that makes business sense right now for them.

Sometimes drama gets tossed around in the gaming community and it can sometimes detract from the point.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

By TCs logic, all Vita games should be on Ps3

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#49  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

As an owner of the Wii U, I want Nintendo to stop straddling themselves with the dang thing and jettison it as soon as they get the chance. Which was a year and a half ago, so they've already kept the stupid thing on life support for far too long in my estimation.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

They should. I was very annoyed when SEGA did the same thing with the Saturn, so I held off on getting a Dreamcast for a few months, because as a consumer, they had lost my trust. Though to their credit, that was a huge jump in power, and the Dreamcast had an insanely good lineup.