If developers DON't take advantage of PS3...we ALL lose

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

I have ps3, 360, and gaming PC's.  Though I think it's valid to want one system to do the best, it really messes up the industry if the ps3 is not learned.  I am not going to get into techno jargon or turn this into what system is more powerful. But I am going to talk just from basic "what we know" here.

The ps3 is harder to develop for supposedly.  The ports (minus fight night and maybe oblivion and a few others) have suffered as a result of lazy porting.  This is really helping the developers in the short run as they blaze through a quick and low cost conversion, but it will hurt them in the long run.

Why will it hurt them?  Because the playstation has the strongest brand image.  It is a system seller in its own right.  The ps3 WILL sell.  If they take the easy way out and the games don't get better, then the ps3 Won't sell and that will prevent a lot of people from buying systems.  The ps3 owners won't JUST go to the 360.  The wii can't handle certain games and next gen features, so Microsoft will be the only competitor.  That isn't good for the end user as well because then competition will be weaker.

It's pretty annoying to see all these developers not taking advantage of the ps3 hardware (for however powerful or not) it is and just port over games using only the basics. 

gertotomby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gertotomby
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.gertotomby
Blu-Ray is a disc format (like DVD), not a programming language.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dave_NBF

I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.gertotomby

blu-ray is a programming language?  I thought it was just a media format.  And blu-ray isn't the problem. The reason it is doing so well with oblivion for load times is that they repeat a lot of information over and over, so that it is more readily accessible while not taxing system resources as its redundant.  I think you should read up technology before you "end my thread" because that post is laughable.  Nothing in my post is really "unfair"

DrPepper1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrPepper1998
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
[QUOTE="gertotomby"]I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.mattbbpl

Rofl, I love how he referred to Blu-Ray as "A language that is hard to learn"
megamef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 megamef
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts

lack of competition will hurt the industry, bad ports won't. People won't care that ps3 has the worst game ports, look at ps2 and xbox multiplats and which sold the most. The ps3 will sell lots regardless of a few bad ports.

Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dave_NBF

lack of competition will hurt the industry, bad ports won't. People won't care that ps3 has the worst game ports, look at ps2 and xbox multiplats and which sold the most. The ps3 will sell lots regardless of a few bad ports.

In ways I agree, but I have to disagree with a few points.  This gen is not last gen.  There are LESS exclusives this time and third parties are crossing over more and more.  Its about the money because of the increase in development costs.  The ps3 is also a LOT more expensive.  So to sell the systems, they need ALL the good games they can get.  Just my personal opinion though.

megamef
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="gertotomby"]I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.DrPepper1998

Rofl, I love how he referred to Blu-Ray as "A language that is hard to learn"

yea.... i dont think that guy's gunna return to this thread
megamef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 megamef
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
your right about the ps3 needing all the good games it can get, publishers are still going to make bad ports of 360 games and they are going to sell well. Do you really think madden would sell badly because it runs at 53fps on ps3 and 60fps on 360? It's a shame but bad games from big money hungry publishers like EA will be better on 360.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
dude..please don't answer if you have no clue what you're talking about. blu-ray is not a new programming languge. It's a new media format.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

[QUOTE="gertotomby"]I don't think that's very fair. Sony has a new programming language called Blu-Ray. It is a really big language and hard to learn. The games that use all the cell power will be really good but will be long to develop and cost lots of money. I think that the X360 is easier to make and will be short to develop and cost less money. That's why the PS3 won't sell until games for it are good. The End.Eddie5vs1
dude..please don't answer if you have no clue what you're talking about. blu-ray is not a new programming languge. It's a new media format.

i just peed a little.

Zam_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zam_basic
Member since 2002 • 5246 Posts

dont worry , the devlopers in Japan will use the PS3's power

others like EA? well thats another story

hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
Oh, you mean like sloppy Wii ports?

It's going to happen to every single platform. Every single platform (360, PC, etc.) gets sloppy ports. Deal with it.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dave_NBF

Oh, you mean like sloppy Wii ports?

It's going to happen to every single platform. Every single platform (360, PC, etc.) gets sloppy ports. Deal with it.
hamumu

congrats on missing the entire point of the thread. It doesn't take a genius to know bad ports happen but it is OBVIOUS bad ports are happening due to developers not looking into harnessing advantages of the ps3 due to difficulty.  Examples include over-reliance on the GPU and using only the main PPE and not using the blu-ray drive to make speeds faster.  How can the blu-ray drive that is SLOW be fast?  By using redundancy due to increased storage compasity.  It's a roundabout way to make things faster but Oblivion will be the first game in which a developer took extra time to use the same info over and over and therefore increase speeds.  Wow a level 29 and you don't really put much effort in your replies...how nice

johnusabeis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnusabeis
Member since 2004 • 2369 Posts
please tell me youre joking.