I was right after all - LizardSquad attacks explained

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Long story short of it? LizardSquad has created a botnet (Kind of like Internet Zombies infected with their software and spewing the DDoS packets) out of people's routers that haven't configured the default administrative account credentials.

So for all this talk about Sony and MS needing better security that some of you have been complaining about, the real problem is Johnny and Susie Glue-eater that plugs in their Netgear router, configures their wifi network and continues to let the internet be their septic tank.

I hope some of you feel awfully silly right now but even moreso, I hope some of you reading this log into your routers and set proper credentials.

You'd be completely nuts to think LizardSquad is the only hacker group who uses this type of infection to slave your systems, FYI.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is why my router password is admin because I believe in security.

I'm also thinking about upgrading to WEP level security as right now I'm free as the wind.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

So they're creating a library of peoples usernames and passwords? Yeah they're great people.

At least Anonymous is attacking jihadist websites, lizardsquad are just assholes

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Shewgenja was right?!

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Console gamers can thank the uneducated masses for their beloved online services being down so often...so I guess they can thank themselves.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Cool, looks like I'm part of the solution and not the problem.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

the real problem is Johnny and Susie Glue-eater

So consolites screwed themselves over?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@SolidTy said:

I'm also thinking about upgrading to WEP level security as right now I'm free as the wind.

mate 'admin' is just not long enough (that's what she said).

that's why i go with 'password'.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

yeah...that's how a DDoS works. It's not new

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wasn't it known that this was a DDoS attack from the start?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Hacker Group ‘Lizard Squad’ Hits Xbox Live and PlayStation Network with DDoS Attacks

Yep... dunno who stated otherwise.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Hacker Group ‘Lizard Squad’ Hits Xbox Live and PlayStation Network with DDoS Attacks

Yeah, a hacker group using a DDoS attack... what's your point?

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The problem is that an average system warrior doesn't know the distinction between a hack and a DDoS attack. All they know or care about is that the incident is an opportunity to potentially down-play their rival console's online network, and perhaps up-play their own online network on the basis of 'security', without any understanding of it. But that's System Wars 101 right?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BldgIrsh

@foxhound_fox said:

@bldgirsh said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah, a hacker group using a DDoS attack... what's your point?

Trying to say that its been known as a DDoS for quite a while. Agreeing with your comment.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

ur never right.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@SolidTy said:

Nice. I'll be updating soon! :)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I heard that tooting your own horn can turn you into B4X, which is a most undesirable outcome.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja

@foxhound_fox said:

That's not what was being debated and you know it. The point is this:

In the first few days of 2015, KrebsOnSecurity was taken offline by a series of large and sustained denial-of-service attacks apparently orchestrated by the Lizard Squad.

So, even a website fucking dedicated to cyber security was taken offline due to the DDoS. In other words, while System Wars factions were trying to One-Up each other over shit they don't know about and crying like a bunch of infants that had their little bottle taken away from them for a day or two whilst making threads DEMANDING more unecessary infrastructure, the truth of the matter is that untold numbers of networks were taking part of the attack and many more could be lying in wait to carry out something else.

If it connects to the internet, it can be taken down. Crying about a botnet taking down your consoles online is like bitching about it raining outside. Welcome to the year 2015, people.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

my router is wpa2 but is using the default pass. Not the "admin" one though, it actually has letters and numbers. I might change it now then.

People always explain what a DDOS attack is but not how it is done. I always though hackers had severs in place or something but this is actually very clever. Taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge about technology. There must be millions of people out there using not only WEP but the default pass too.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@SolidTy said:

Password? Man, mine's still blank. works like a charm.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I guess I shouldn't use password as a password

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I always roll with "password123" and I've only been hacked 14 times. Only n00bs use "password" or "admin".

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BldgIrsh

@lostrib said:

I guess I shouldn't use password as a password

Replace all the letters S with dollar signs. You can thank me later when that hacker 4chan can't access your accounts.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@getyeryayasout: nice

very nice

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I always roll with "password123" and I've only been hacked 14 times. Only n00bs use "password" or "admin".

lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

This is news?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Gee. I can't even remember my router username and password because they're so convoluted. But, I have them in a text file stored somewhere.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

But the point is with all the money they take from you they could defend against DoS attacks, Lizard Squad are idiots and their timing was outright disgusting but they did prove a point.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I know set my router on "septic spew" and locked in Sonys coordinates.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja

@GreySeal9 said:

I heard that tooting your own horn can turn you into B4X, which is a most undesirable outcome.

I can understand that sentiment but, as you can also see, people are actually learning from this. The thread is less about me being right and more about what can be done to solve the issue.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

My wifi password is 654321 for added security.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lol @ people not knowing how to sign into their own router and change the deats so the password isn't 'password'. Top kek.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They are still jerks*.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja

@farrell2k said:

@Shewgenja said:

Long story short of it? LizardSquad has created a botnet (Kind of like Internet Zombies infected with their software and spewing the DDoS packets) out of people's routers that haven't configured the default administrative account credentials.

So for all this talk about Sony and MS needing better security that some of you have been complaining about, the real problem is Johnny and Susie Glue-eater that plugs in their Netgear router, configures their wifi network and continues to let the internet be their septic tank.

I hope some of you feel awfully silly right now but even moreso, I hope some of you reading this log into your routers and set proper credentials.

You'd be completely nuts to think LizardSquad is the only hacker group who uses this type of infection to slave your systems, FYI.

So you blame the non-technically-minded people who respond to advertising and buy a product that is promised to be safe and secure, instead of the billion dollar corporations who ship routers without default passwords? Right...

Well, from a support perspective, there has to be a default password. Just like every car has a key. It's just that most people don't have their keys hanging out in their front lawn quite the same way they have the default password still active on their routers.

These are just realities when it comes to anything IT related. People don't see the importance of information security so they are happy to have Password123 as their login for anything from their routerto even their credit card online statements. Typically, it's baby boomers.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

They're a bunch of pimpled faced virgins who cannot walk up a single flight of stairs without wheezing.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

My router password was ridiculously long, so I just changed it to 'password'. Much easier that way.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shewgenja

@SapSacPrime said:

But the point is with all the money they take from you they could defend against DoS attacks, Lizard Squad are idiots and their timing was outright disgusting but they did prove a point.

Well, that's just the thing. They really didn't. For a carefully orchestrated DDoS with a large botnet, there isn't really a way of "securing" your network. You HAVE to understand what a DDoS is to get it. I was hoping this thread would get through to the naysayers such as yourself but it's becoming a dead horse.

A DDoS will, in effect, require you to have some things in place which are a ludicrous expense.

You can have a redundant datacenter with a fallback collocation (doubling your hardware and maintenance expenses).

You can pay for up to 8 times your normal bandwidth (Some DDoS can get even bigger than that, though, so you might still have that dastardly day or two of downtime that seems to be a mortal sin to the ignorant).

You can offer to pay some sort of ransom fee to the people negating access to your network (but more often than not, you become a target for multiple groups that way.)

And if you thought that past suggestion was bad there's an even worse one if you are a serious company such as Sony or MS.. Find a webhosting provider with an impossibly large network you can put your infrastructure on in the hopes that they have enough astronomical bandwidth at their disposal to see and thwart a packet flood at their gateway (Which, as it turns out, is something I used to do for a living). This service comes at a premium, of course. Said network may also retain the right to refuse service to you if you are deemed a nuisance to their operations.

Those are your options and I guaran-fucking-damn-tee you that neither XBox Live or PSN's server farms are on the same Time Warner Cable box or DSL modem you are connected to. We're not talking about changing your service fee from teh $60 plan to teh Ultra Deluximafied $120 a month one. We are talking about connectivity that is costing thousands and thousands ... tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars a month to maintain as it is. To the point where you have to decide whether you want software engineers and network engineers working on super cool Skype features/ Vue/whatever in your firmware updates or if you want to sacrifice all that cool shit because a day or two of DDoS is a mortal sin.

I won't try to explain this any more. It's just getting redundant. I hope one day you have a child as terrified of an invisible monster as you are. Then you will understand the hopelessness of arguing against ignorance.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

@Shewgenja:

MS managed to get XBL up and running -- intermittently at first granted -- a lot faster than Sony fixed PSN, I suppose this has nothing to do with a superior infrastructure and better response plan no?

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I find it hilarious that people didn't know the difference between hacking and DDoS. Hilarious.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@foxhound_fox said:

In the first few days of 2015, KrebsOnSecurity was taken offline by a series of large and sustained denial-of-service attacks apparently orchestrated by the Lizard Squad.

So, even a website fucking dedicated to cyber security was taken offline due to the DDoS. In other words, while System Wars factions were trying to One-Up each other over shit they don't know about and crying like a bunch of infants that had their little bottle taken away from them for a day or two whilst making threads DEMANDING more unecessary infrastructure, the truth of the matter is that untold numbers of networks were taking part of the attack and many more could be lying in wait to carry out something else.

If it connects to the internet, it can be taken down. Crying about a botnet taking down your consoles online is like bitching about it raining outside. Welcome to the year 2015, people.

You sound mad.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shewgenja

@SapSacPrime said:

@Shewgenja:

MS managed to get XBL up and running -- intermittently at first granted -- a lot faster than Sony fixed PSN, I suppose this has nothing to do with a superior infrastructure and better response plan no?

Much larger network. Live is behind all of MSes infrastructure which is very robust. Sony hasn't had the same footprint in that sense (MSN, Bing, Azure, etc).

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@speedfog said:

@Shewgenja said:

@foxhound_fox said:

You sound mad.

He's offended on the company he worships behalf for some bizarre reason.

Moogenja gonna moo.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shewgenja

@Snugenz said:

Moogenja gonna moo.

It must really make you cross to know you posted this right after I praised MS for having a more robust infrastructure than Sony literally in the post directly above. Good work!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@Snugenz said:

Moogenja gonna moo.

It must really make you cross to know you posted this right after I praised MS for having a more robust infrastructure than Sony literally in the post directly above. Good work!

Not at all actually. toodles.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

Sounds about right, DDOS is difficult to protect against. It's important that people practice better networking security, I'd first advise them to throw away their botnet routers and burn them to kill the bots inside, then buy a new router that doesn't use a password so hackers can't guess what the password is.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

I thought we already knew this here.

I spray bug spray on my computer once a week, so I should be fine.