I think there is only one thing that could unseat WoW as the most popular MMO.

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

The only thing dethroning WoW is blizzard's next mmo. No game has the content, accessibility, polish and fluid gameplay of WoW on the market right now. Regardless of what the haters say about EQ 2 or AOC being better, they simply aren't and TOR's gameplay looks pretty generic and boring. EQ 2 was just awful at launch and after 4 months I gave up on that game, AOC had no end game.. literally and Aion and warhammer were WoW clones. Blizzard will be the only people to dethrone WoW imo.

Espada12
EQ2 has just as much content and a deeper trade skill and talent-type system. Accessibility? Since when is that a godo thing? WoW is made for the casuals and nothing else, the gameplay is hardly fluid is usually consist of a single rotation fro every signle class take my mage as a example (AB,AB,AB,AB , AM) that sounds like tons of fun.... EQ2 at launch was pure garbage, but it is so much more now and I suggest you try to go back to give it a chance.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

I think the only MMO to dethrone WoW would be one set in Biblical times. People would level up for years just to meet Jesus, who would be an NPC played by a GM, much like Darth Vader in SWG...

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The only thing dethroning WoW is blizzard's next mmo. No game has the content, accessibility, polish and fluid gameplay of WoW on the market right now. Regardless of what the haters say about EQ 2 or AOC being better, they simply aren't and TOR's gameplay looks pretty generic and boring. EQ 2 was just awful at launch and after 4 months I gave up on that game, AOC had no end game.. literally and Aion and warhammer were WoW clones. Blizzard will be the only people to dethrone WoW imo.

Espada12

Warhammer being a WoW clone is the very definition of irony. I'm not saying that the idea for making a Warhammer MMO wasn't inspired by World of Warcraft, but how can it be a clone of WoW, when the entire Warcraft universe was a rip off of Warhammer to begin with? It'd be like saying Dawn of War is a Starcraft clone, because Starcraft did the futuristic computer RTS before DoW, when in reality, Starcraft borrowed HEAVILY from tabletop Warhammer 40k.

On topic though, no MMO is going to come along and suddenly kill WoW. Plenty of other MMOs will be successful, but the only thing that's going to kill WoW is old age. As time goes by the active subscription base will gradually lower. It'll still be in the millions for years, but it will go down, and those players will spread out amongst other MMOs. It will be a long time, if ever, before any single pay2play MMO reaches the subscription base of MMO at it's prime.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

I've always wondered why Pokemon was never made into an MMO of some sort.

PBSnipes

Because Nintendo is only vaguely aware that the internet exists and you can play games over it?

That made me giggle.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#55 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

ianuilliam

Warhammer being a WoW clone is the very definition of irony. I'm not saying that the idea for making a Warhammer MMO wasn't inspired by World of Warcraft, but how can it be a clone of WoW, when the entire Warcraft universe was a rip off of Warhammer to begin with? It'd be like saying Dawn of War is a Starcraft clone, because Starcraft did the futuristic computer RTS before DoW, when in reality, Starcraft borrowed HEAVILY from tabletop Warhammer 40k.

On topic though, no MMO is going to come along and suddenly kill WoW. Plenty of other MMOs will be successful, but the only thing that's going to kill WoW is old age. As time goes by the active subscription base will gradually lower. It'll still be in the millions for years, but it will go down, and those players will spread out amongst other MMOs. It will be a long time, if ever, before any single pay2play MMO reaches the subscription base of MMO at it's prime.

I think he means gameplay wise which is odd because I thought WoW took a lot from EQ.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

SparkyProtocol

I think he means gameplay wise which is odd because I thought WoW took a lot from EQ.

WoW's gameplay was a dumbed down blend of every MMO that came before it. I remember when it was new, and my buddies would play it and come tell me about all these awesome revolutionary things, that made it better than any other game, and I'd just sit there and say "Yeah, that was done in EQ or AC or FFXI, etc." Blizz basically ripped off the gameplay from 3 or 4 games, then applied it to their Warcraft universe, which they ripped off from Warhammer, and everyone says "Oooh! Amazing! Revolutionary!"

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

The only thing that has a shot at dethroning WoW anytime soon is the next Blizz MMO

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

I still think Ragnarok Online is the best MMO around hands-down bar-none.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

I still think Ragnarok Online is the best MMO around hands-down bar-none.

Shad0ki11

Yup. Great artstyle, sublime monster design that rivals Nippon Ichis best, awesome PVP, awesome card system, great job classes. Best MMO ever.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

Because Nintendo is only vaguely aware that the internet exists and you can play games over it?

mattisgod01

:P

Give them some credit, the internet's only been around since the late 80's :o

Nintendo primarily make games for children, Nintendo doesn't want to expose their main client base to such a dangerous place.

Sadly this is probably the reason, its why they restrict everything so much on the little online they have now.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

I've always wondered why Pokemon was never made into an MMO of some sort.

lundy86_4
Because using the cutting edge tech is not what nintendo's philosophy is about.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

the reason why this dosent exist is because it would kill humanity

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

ianuilliam

I meant gameplay wise it was basically a WoW clone which is why I lumped it with Aion.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
If pokemon would become an MMO. I can tell you the world, as we know it, will end.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Cataclym is going to kill WoW for me. That's when the WoW emu private server scene dies out. QQ
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ianuilliam

The only thing that has a shot at dethroning WoW anytime soon is the next Blizz MMO

Juken7

If Blizzard put out a new MMO next year, it's not like the 10+ million WoW players would exodus over. I doubt a new Blizzard MMO would do any better than the majority of pay2play MMOs out there.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

ianuilliam

So what do you think will prevent more and newer subscribers from taking their place? Last I heard, WoW subscription was on the rise.
bphan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 bphan
Member since 2005 • 1666 Posts

Sorry Nintendo believes internet is a fad.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
I think the only thing that could topple WoW is the new MMO Blizzard said they are working on.
Milkage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Milkage
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I just had to write this... All you noobs saying "a pokemon MMO" "A Star Wars MMO" "A Teletubbies MMO" will kill WoW are so clueless it's hurting my brain. WoW isn't a smash hit because of it's theme, the theme is probably the most overused theme in RPG's in gaming history, WoW is what it is because the game is MADE TO PERFECTION. You nubs that think it's just a pick the right theme, throw some money at the game and profit are really really shockingly clueless. And no dev that has 0 experience in MMO is going to out of the blue outdo Blizzard, and it isn't going to be some independent nobody. Just face the facts, the next great MMO will be whatever Blizzard makes. They're Gods of gaming for a reason. It's like the movies, a great director makes great movies, you just know Chrostopher Nolan's next movie is going to own.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Pokemon MMO would propably bomb, the audience doesn't translate well to MMO styled subcribers.

So no...Pokemon MMO wouldn't stand a chance against WoW, the only thing that does is another Blizzard MMO

antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
I just had to write this... All you noobs saying "a pokemon MMO" "A Star Wars MMO" "A Teletubbies MMO" will kill WoW are so clueless it's hurting my brain. WoW isn't a smash hit because of it's theme, the theme is probably the most overused theme in RPG's in gaming history, WoW is what it is because the game is MADE TO PERFECTION. You nubs that think it's just a pick the right theme, throw some money at the game and profit are really really shockingly clueless. And no dev that has 0 experience in MMO is going to out of the blue outdo Blizzard, and it isn't going to be some independent nobody. Just face the facts, the next great MMO will be whatever Blizzard makes. They're Gods of gaming for a reason. It's like the movies, a great director makes great movies, you just know Chrostopher Nolan's next movie is going to own.Milkage
as always, you make a post flaming one side without stating any facts. how is it perfect and how do you know anything and everything else will fail?
mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

i think guild wars2 might have a chance(not having to pay monthly fees means alot to me) :p