I think there is only one thing that could unseat WoW as the most popular MMO.

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Wow is the undisputed king of MMOs right now. While Games liek Old Republic look like theyll be great, I still think WoW is going to hold onto its title. But if Star Wars cant unset the king, what the hell can you might ask? Well, what if Nintendo made a Pokemon MMO on Wii? Or if they could somehow outsource to PC? Seriously, that thing would probaly be the death of me. pokemon is like the most popular crap ever, imagine that thing as a MMO? this isnt a original idea, but I still think that would be more popular then WoW. What do you think? Anything else you can think of that could unseat WoW outside of WoW 2?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

I've always wondered why Pokemon was never made into an MMO of some sort.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

i dont think parents are willing to pay a monthly fee just so little johnny can play online with his pikachu. That, and I dont know many adults who are into pokemon that actually would pay a monthly fee for themselves

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

lundy86_4

Because Nintendo is only vaguely aware that the internet exists and you can play games over it?

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

i dont think parents are willing to pay a monthly fee just so little johnny can play online with his pikachu. That, and I dont know many adults who are into pokemon that actually would pay a monthly fee for themselves

Rage010101
So why are parents willing to pay a monthly fee so Johnny can play with his level 210 night elf with special armor? There's no difference, cept Pokemon already sells millions upon millions and is as addictive as crack, the promise of an ever-growing Pokemon MMO would sell me on MMO.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

PBSnipes

Because Nintendo is only vaguely aware that the internet exists and you can play games over it?

:P

Give them some credit, the internet's only been around since the late 80's :o

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.Ringx55
Your Opinion.

I think WoW success is a fluke.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

The Warhammer 40k MMO is looking promising, Its not out till 2013 so hard to say. They are putting plenty of time and effort into it though.

Either way i think the biggest WoW killer will be WoW itself, How long can they keep selling people the same game before people start to get sick of it?

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Nintendo primarily make games for children, Nintendo doesn't want to expose their main client base to such a dangerous place.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ringx55

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.Ravenchrome

Your Opinion.

Why do you have to post "Your oppinion" when I said that? Anyways, WoW is just popular because of the dumbed-down gameplay, classes talents and gear. Not to mention it looking awful. But pre BWL I'd say it was great. EQ2 > WoW still though
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

mattisgod01

Nintendo primarily make games for children, Nintendo doesn't want to expose their main client base to such a dangerous place.

I'm hoping that''s just a very bad joke...
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

The only thing that can unseat WoW is whatever Blizzard's next MMO is.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4

mattisgod01

Considering the Wii has an internet browser, I don't think that's the case.

Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

Gamefreak would make a MMO

but nintendo wont let them

Nothing is gonna kill Wow, too many no life nerds have poured their life into that game, there not gonna leave their 80's to start over again.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Every person i know would pay to play a pokemon game online. There are so many possibilities and could be so many things to do in the pokemon universe, a great game can be made. I wouldn't even mind a game like the originals be made for the Wii.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

It would be a haven for child molestors

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.Ringx55

Your Opinion.

Why do you have to post "Your oppinion" when I said that? Anyways, WoW is just popular because of the dumbed-down gameplay, classes talents and gear. Not to mention it looking awful. But pre BWL I'd say it was great. EQ2 > WoW still though

Also the fact that you can run it on just about anything helps immensly as well (WoW). thats something I think isnt given enough credit. While games like Age of Conan and stuff maybe were hurt by the high specs it had.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

PBSnipes

They also are of the opinion that unless a needlessly complex and obstructive friend code system is instituted, children will become the victims of pedophiles lurking over Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The only thing that can unseat WoW is whatever Blizzard's next MMO is.

shinrabanshou

I honestly think The Old Republic may have a slight chance. The use of an established property, and one as ****ing massive and popular as Star Wars is the only thing that makes it possible, though.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Wow is the undisputed king of MMOs right now. While Games liek Old Republic look like theyll be great, I still think WoW is going to hold onto its title. But if Star Wars cant unset the king, what the hell can you might ask? Well, what if Nintendo made a Pokemon MMO on Wii? Or if they could somehow outsource to PC? Seriously, that thing would probaly be the death of me. pokemon is like the most popular crap ever, imagine that thing as a MMO? this isnt a original idea, but I still think that would be more popular then WoW. What do you think? Anything else you can think of that could unseat WoW outside of WoW 2?

XboximusPrime
Star Wars is way more popular than Pokemon , how comes you beleive Pokemon will do better because of its popularity? And to dethrone WoW at top mmorpg you need to surpass it as of Subscriptions. 12M is hell of a lot if you ask me to pass
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.Ringx55

Your Opinion.

i think wow is better than eq2, but popularity wise its good not only because its easy go get into, they gave all classes pew pew power so its possible to do lots on your own. It might not be graphics king but its got the cleanest and most polish when it comes to graphics, no instanced areas on the world so as laggy as it gets, you can take 400 people and stampede all over a town...

and the game play is on par with eq2, eq2 might have slightly more complex leveling system but in the end it all works the same and it just turns out to be a clunkier game, forcing you to find people for quests, grind for hours...

WoW might be the devil but it first came out it was a horribly addicting and fun game to play, the pvp was insane because of the lack of instancing and you never had to really grind leveling up.

I don't think starwars will dethrone wow, i think part of wows fun is its cheeky and humorous all over, so if anything beats it it'll be something stupid and unexpected... like lego universe.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

AzatiS

Star Wars is way more popular than Pokemon , how comes you beleive Pokemon will do better because of its popularity? And to dethrone WoW at top mmorpg you need to surpass it as of Subscriptions. 12M is hell of a lot if you ask me to pass

As a movie Star Wars is really popular, but as a game not near as much. People who like the Star Wars Movies arent gonna go out and buy a game just because its star wars. Where as all of Pokemon's fan base is already gamers which are more willing to purchase a game.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"][QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

As a movie Star Wars is really popular, but as a game not near as much. People who like the Star Wars Movies arent gonna go out and buy a game just because its star wars. Where as all of Pokemon's fan base is already gamers which are more willing to purchase a game.

Good point but Star Wars fans are so many and in so various ages ( 15 to 45 ) that in a way they can have fun in MMORPG and actually being good at it. With Pokemon i dont see how will lure mature players in or how 8-10 years guys will be able to play an MMORPG let alone beat it.
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
I can see this working really well. If they made it 3d with proper battle animations? YES
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Good point but Star Wars fans are so many and in so various ages ( 15 to 45 ) that in a way they can have fun in MMORPG and actually being good at it. With Pokemon i dont see how will lure mature players in or how 8-10 years guys will be able to play an MMORPG let alone beat it.

are you saying that no mature people play pokemon? that all the players are 8-10 year olds ? if so that is a ridiculous claim. Pokemon is one of the best selling series of all time. its fanbase is much bigger than 8 year olds.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Well Nintendo certainly have a great foundation to work with now that B/W will release which puts them at 5 gens and then there's the anime series.

They should make a Pokemon MMO however I'm not so sure they are going to as it doesn't feel family friendly-ish enough for it to happen.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#28 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
[QUOTE="Ultizer"]

Gamefreak would make a MMO

but nintendo wont let them

Nothing is gonna kill Wow, too many no life nerds have poured their life into that game, there not gonna leave their 80's to start over again.

The game is infested with casuals. If anything, the hard core players are the ones leaving to try new MMOs. Casuals won't leave WoW because its so easy to get into. The majority of end game content can be pug'd and the second highest tier of gear is available through playing for 30min a day.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Nintendo are great devs but they lack experience with online games. Doing a solid MMO is not for everyone.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
WoW destroys that piece of garbage of a game.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ringx55

[QUOTE="Ringx55"][QUOTE="Ravenchrome"] Your Opinion.

savagetwinkie

i think wow is better than eq2, but popularity wise its good not only because its easy go get into, they gave all classes pew pew power so its possible to do lots on your own. It might not be graphics king but its got the cleanest and most polish when it comes to graphics, no instanced areas on the world so as laggy as it gets, you can take 400 people and stampede all over a town...

and the game play is on par with eq2, eq2 might have slightly more complex leveling system but in the end it all works the same and it just turns out to be a clunkier game, forcing you to find people for quests, grind for hours...

WoW might be the devil but it first came out it was a horribly addicting and fun game to play, the pvp was insane because of the lack of instancing and you never had to really grind leveling up.

I don't think starwars will dethrone wow, i think part of wows fun is its cheeky and humorous all over, so if anything beats it it'll be something stupid and unexpected... like lego universe.

My point stands, your saying right WoW is more accessible and each class has it's own "pew pew". MMORPG's and even RPGs don't have that. When you have a tank class, that class sits there and tanks it can't go into pvp and mess stuff up but it can still be used in EQ2 (taunts work and knockbacks are great). Yes we all know how visually pleasing the graphics are (lots of vibrent colours and such) but that doesn't mean it has nice graphics. No instanced zones or towns? What MMO doesn't have that not to mention EQ2 has non-instanced dungeons and some instanced so it adds a sort of challenge beating another group to a rare spawn.

And finding people for a hard quest is something bad now? I'm not sure about you but in EQ2 I could solo fairly well on my Fury and I never needed to just grind. And I agree when WoW first started it was awesome, EQ2 had so many problems back then so WoW deserved it #1 spot... But it's different now and it's just pretty bad atm.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Much of WoW's success is based on its post-launch reputation. A lot of people don't realize just how bare the game was when it actually released. Unfortunately, because of WoW's current state most new mmo gamers assume that any MMO that launches should have as much content as WoW. It is this mind set that prevented Age of Conan and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning from taking a large chunk of WoW's consumer base. In order to overtake WoW any MMO that launches is going to have to have a very long development time because very little can be left to post launch patches with this new crowd of MMO gamers.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ringx55
[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Popular =/= Good... EQ2 shines above it in everyway imo.Human-after-all
WoW destroys that piece of garbage of a game.

Ah, the blatant "WoW is better then dat" without even trying to back up your point look what I can do here: No, EQ2 is much better! And before anybody thinks I'm some kind of WoW hater I've had my druid since vanilla and still have a active account today.
hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

With Final Fantasy XIV

Star Wars The Old Republic

DC Universe Online

The Agency

Guild Wars 2

New Warhammer MMO

all coming out in the near future I daresay WoW just might die. But Blizzard is bringing out a new expansion this year to combat them I guess.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

The only thing dethroning WoW is blizzard's next mmo. No game has the content, accessibility, polish and fluid gameplay of WoW on the market right now. Regardless of what the haters say about EQ 2 or AOC being better, they simply aren't and TOR's gameplay looks pretty generic and boring. EQ 2 was just awful at launch and after 4 months I gave up on that game, AOC had no end game.. literally and Aion and warhammer were WoW clones. Blizzard will be the only people to dethrone WoW imo.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Believe or not adults play Pokemon to. The RPG games that is. They can be quite indepth. Yes I'd totally see a Pokemon MMORPG selling like crack.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Guildwars 2 will do really well, although I doubt it'll dethrone it

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Warhammer 40k dark millenium can dethrone it.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
possibly but its hard to unseat the king of mmos when half of their userbase is addicted.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#40 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

The only thing dethroning WoW is blizzard's next mmo. No game has the content, accessibility, polish and fluid gameplay of WoW on the market right now. Regardless of what the haters say about EQ 2 or AOC being better, they simply aren't and TOR's gameplay looks pretty generic and boring. EQ 2 was just awful at launch and after 4 months I gave up on that game, AOC had no end game.. literally and Aion and warhammer were WoW clones. Blizzard will be the only people to dethrone WoW imo.

Espada12
So I heard that WoWs combat is innovative and fun. Could you enlighten moi?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

SparkyProtocol

So I heard that WoWs combat is innovative and fun. Could you enlighten moi?

It's not innovative, but it certainly is fun. The game moves at a much faster pace than most mmos and used to be better balanced than say DAOC or Warhammer, but that changed with WOTLK and with Cata around the corner we shall see what's up. The thing with TOR's gameplay that I'm knocking is that you are basically just standing up attacking and the animations in the game are really stiff so it makes the combat look really boring. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'll see for myself when the game comes out.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

Yeah, i think that the only thing with the chances to beat WoW (still i think chances would be minimal) is a MMO Pokemon, but a good MMO Pokemon, not just some average stuff.

And to be honest, while i don't like this genre at all, i'll probably give it a chance.

Meowmixxvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43 Meowmixxvi
Member since 2008 • 2243 Posts
well its good to those that are still playing the game. and thats alot of people.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

People love to hate on WoW but the game is just magic, Blizzard had to of made a deal with the devil when designing it (Crossroads demon :P ). But yeah i dont see anything but another MMO from Blizzard taking the throne.

ToR will come close alright as Star Wars and Bioware both have huge followings and it'll take a big chunk of the WoW playerbase when it first releases, but like the other big MMO's that have come out recently, people will end up going back to WoW eventually.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Every person i know would pay to play a pokemon game online. RyanShazam

Do you live on the Teletubbies set by any chance?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

oldkingallant
So why are parents willing to pay a monthly fee so Johnny can play with his level 210 night elf with special armor? There's no difference, cept Pokemon already sells millions upon millions and is as addictive as crack, the promise of an ever-growing Pokemon MMO would sell me on MMO.

So how about making it a "sorta-free" MMO like those ones you can buy the cards for.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#47 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

i don't see the point of a pokemon MMO. if i really wanted to test my pokemon skills i would just use battle net supremacy or some other online pokemon battle program.

the MMO aspect just won't work, since the main focus of a potential MMO will be interaction of battles with players.

The only thing that will ruin WoW is if blizzard stops supporting it, the community is too big at this point.

the old republic wil be very successfulbut won't dethrone anything.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Nintendo needs to make a Wii Pokemon, even if it's not an MMO. Imagine it in full 3D, with an anime artstyle, with full 3D battles like the Stadium games. :shock:

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I don't see necessarily one MMO dethroning WoW, but a combination of 2-3 really popular ones.

DC universe online and Starwars old republic together could very well dethrone WoW eventually.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

I don't see necessarily one MMO dethroning WoW, but a combination of 2-3 really popular ones.

DC universe online and Starwars old republic together could very well dethrone WoW eventually.

dercoo

I agree completely. It will be a combination of good MMOs, blended with the slow decline of WoW players. That will be the downfall of WoW, no one game can do it.