foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Metroid Prime games sold more and Nintendo didn't care.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

So?

COD sells millions and it still sucks.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#53 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Dat brand power...

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Not played it yet but that's pretty good going! Will likely pick it up at some point but got other things I'd rather play right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Cool. I may buy it someday to play with my buddy. Dynasty Warriors-type games can be pretty fun co-op.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@funsohng said:

@jhcho2 said:

Sales of a Dynasty Warriors spinoff with Link in it: 1 million

Sales of a great game like Bayonetta 2: < 1 million

And this ladies and gentlemen, is the problem with Nintendo consoles. Owners of Nintendo consoles are more interested in supporting games with Nintendo mascots rather than good games. After all is said and done, they simply just don't vote for 3rd party games with their wallet. And for some reason, there is this huge curiosity as to why 3rd party devs shun Nintendo consoles.

Bayonetta 1 sales was pretty bad on PS3/360 too, you know.

Bayonetta 1 sold poorly on the ps3/360 because nobody really gave two shits about it. But since Bayonetta 2 is exclusive, sheep made a huge deal out of it. The sales figures imply that sheep made a big deal about it but never bothered supporting it. So the takeaway from this is that the quality of the game or the word on the street for a non-Nintendo mascot game has practically nothing to do with the potential success of the game. All the game really needs is Mario, Link or Metroid in it. That would seal the deal.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

Yeah how dare they go with the console that chose the superior media format.

superior media format my ass....sony lied cheated and stole all the 3rd party so that it could compete with nintendo.

Everybody knows the story but you, it seems. Nintendo broke the deal with Sony to make a console that used CDs. Sony made their own CD-based console that was a perfect mix of power and affordability. This got third parties who couldn't see a future in the limited storage of cartridges on board. It's okay to admit Nintendo fucked up for once.

naw...i dont buy this bedtime story. there is more to it than that. it involves sony basically making their consoles specifically for 3rd parties. so they wouldnt get humilated by nintendo. probably a lot of money and exclusivity contracts involved too.

sega felt the blow the most...nintendo survived because they were so huge but **** sony's taking 3rd party all for themselves.

It's been common knowledge that Nintendo themselves don't really care for 3rd parties, and neither do the owners of Nintendo consoles. That's what made the 3rd party devs jump ship. But like any fanboy, you cry to sleep at night blaming it on a conspiracy by Sony....as if 3rd party support is Nintendo's god given right.

So when a good 3rd party game releases on a Nintendo console, does anyone support it? Not really it seems. Sheep are the loudest fanboys in demanding 3rd party games, but without actually having intention to buy it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@funsohng said:

@jhcho2 said:

And this ladies and gentlemen, is the problem with Nintendo consoles. Owners of Nintendo consoles are more interested in supporting games with Nintendo mascots rather than good games. After all is said and done, they simply just don't vote for 3rd party games with their wallet. And for some reason, there is this huge curiosity as to why 3rd party devs shun Nintendo consoles.

Bayonetta 1 sold poorly on the ps3/360 because nobody really gave two shits about it. But since Bayonetta 2 is exclusive, sheep made a huge deal out of it. The sales figures imply that sheep made a big deal about it but never bothered supporting it. So the takeaway from this is that the quality of the game or the word on the street for a non-Nintendo mascot game has practically nothing to do with the potential success of the game. All the game really needs is Mario, Link or Metroid in it. That would seal the deal.

You make it seem like gaming forums are the only reality in the world. You should try living in real life.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Sadly is such a boring game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

not that surprising. slap "Zelda" on anything and see how much it sells

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Good sales. I may have to rent it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

What's even more shocking was that the game turned out much better than people expected.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#63 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

Yeah how dare they go with the console that chose the superior media format.

superior media format my ass....sony lied cheated and stole all the 3rd party so that it could compete with nintendo.

Everybody knows the story but you, it seems. Nintendo broke the deal with Sony to make a console that used CDs. Sony made their own CD-based console that was a perfect mix of power and affordability. This got third parties who couldn't see a future in the limited storage of cartridges on board. It's okay to admit Nintendo fucked up for once.

naw...i dont buy this bedtime story. there is more to it than that. it involves sony basically making their consoles specifically for 3rd parties. so they wouldnt get humilated by nintendo. probably a lot of money and exclusivity contracts involved too.

sega felt the blow the most...nintendo survived because they were so huge but **** sony's taking 3rd party all for themselves.

It's been common knowledge that Nintendo themselves don't really care for 3rd parties, and neither do the owners of Nintendo consoles. That's what made the 3rd party devs jump ship. But like any fanboy, you cry to sleep at night blaming it on a conspiracy by Sony....as if 3rd party support is Nintendo's god given right.

So when a good 3rd party game releases on a Nintendo console, does anyone support it? Not really it seems. Sheep are the loudest fanboys in demanding 3rd party games, but without actually having intention to buy it.

I own more third party titles on my Wii U then first party titles, I also own Bayonetta 2. The whole "Nintendo console owners don't buy third party" argument is absolute bs. Resident Evil: Revelations, Guacamelee :Superturbo Championship Edition, Unepic, Nano Assault Neo, Darksiders 2, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Watch Dogs and Bayonetta 2 (including the first one) are all of the non first party titles I have for my Wii U. Although because I am a Nintendo console owner I guess it cannot be true, right?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Glad to see the game is selling well. My daughter and I play it quite a bit. It's a lot of fun.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

Glad to see the game is selling well. My daughter and I play it quite a bit. It's a lot of fun.

Same as in my house then, and it is fun I agree -- wasn't to sure about it prior to release but the mix worked out really well.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@KBFloYd said:

really? so no one bought 3rd party on the nes and snes?

it wasnt until sony got asshurt by nintendo that they decided to monoplize 3rd party with the n64.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Best game in 2014.

I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Excited for the DLC. Glad it sold well worldwide.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#68  Edited By Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Didn't the Prime games sell poorly in Japan? I can kind of see that souring their views.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

At this stage a rerelease of Yoshies Cookie would be proclaimed greatest game of all time by these people. It's Dynasty Warriors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

The ****? Apparently us cows aren't the only ones buying shit games by the thousands...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By KBFloYd

@hernandezzzz said:

The ****? Apparently us cows aren't the only ones buying shit games by the thousands...

when is the last time the vita sold 1 million of a game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732

@KBFloYd said:

You have an unhealthy obsession with the Vita...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KBFloYd

@hernandezzzz said:

@KBFloYd said:

and you have an unhealthy obsession with sony.

so now what? :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732

@KBFloYd said:

@hernandezzzz said:

@KBFloYd said:

and you have an unhealthy obsession with sony.

so now what? :/

I promise to get treatment if you do the same.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Take one of the most boring genre and slap Zelda chars on it and hope for best...

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@SapSacPrime said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Same as in my house then, and it is fun I agree -- wasn't to sure about it prior to release but the mix worked out really well.

Yeah it wasn't on my radar until we tried a demo at a Wii-U at one of the stores. It's a lot of fun with a co-op partner.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@KBFloYd:

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

so dont blame sony for anything? they are saints that just happened have all the 3rd parties come eat at their house instead of sega's and nintendo's?

i dont buy it....sony did some underhanded shit...and i hate them.

It's like you ignored everything else I said. Sony got third parties to eat at their house because they had the product that was easier to develop for, had a more appealing media format, and actually had a chance of selling well in markets outside Japan.

But if you want to believe without basis that Sony did "underhanded shit" then that's cool too.

yes i will continue believing that because you have said nothing to change that opinion.

you can shovel your peter pan story to all the casual idiots.

Haven't really visited this site in the past 2-3 years but just had to log in to respond to this absolute pile princesstrash avatar bs fanboy.

Peter Pan story my ass. Google a N64 cartridge and a PSX disc and stare at them together for like 20 minutes so it sinks in nice and deep. Which one looks more appealing to a third party developer cost wise? The CD that probably costs mere cents to make and has a much higher storage capacity or the brink of plastic with a micochip inside???? How many big expensive N64 carts would it take for SE to fit FFVII on or all the other big PSX games of the time? No shit PSX won over 3rd parties, it's a simple matter of economics and being more game development friendly with the added potential of the storage medium.

You wanna see some underhanded shit? Look up all the crazy business practices and F-U contracts nintendo imposed on 3rd parties to sign into during the NES and SNES period when they were on top. No wonder they flocked to Sony or any other competitive console at the first chance. Any deal they could get with Sony at the time was probably a million times better than what nintendo was offering. Nintendo deserves the tiny market share they have now and it will only continue to dwindle.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Are we celebrating sale milestones for bad games now?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

How is is a "bad" game? Explain.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

How is is a "bad" game? Explain.

It's Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

At least the series sort of makes sense. Link in a kart? That just looks stupid, sorry.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Didn't the Prime games sell poorly in Japan? I can kind of see that souring their views.

Metroid has always sold poorly in Japan. It's always done very well in North America (by comparison).

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By KBFloYd

@kenakuma said:

@KBFloYd:

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

It's like you ignored everything else I said. Sony got third parties to eat at their house because they had the product that was easier to develop for, had a more appealing media format, and actually had a chance of selling well in markets outside Japan.

But if you want to believe without basis that Sony did "underhanded shit" then that's cool too.

yes i will continue believing that because you have said nothing to change that opinion.

you can shovel your peter pan story to all the casual idiots.

Haven't really visited this site in the past 2-3 years but just had to log in to respond to this absolute pile princesstrash avatar bs fanboy.

Peter Pan story my ass. Google a N64 cartridge and a PSX disc and stare at them together for like 20 minutes so it sinks in nice and deep. Which one looks more appealing to a third party developer cost wise? The CD that probably costs mere cents to make and has a much higher storage capacity or the brink of plastic with a micochip inside???? How many big expensive N64 carts would it take for SE to fit FFVII on or all the other big PSX games of the time? No shit PSX won over 3rd parties, it's a simple matter of economics and being more game development friendly with the added potential of the storage medium.

You wanna see some underhanded shit? Look up all the crazy business practices and F-U contracts nintendo imposed on 3rd parties to sign into during the NES and SNES period when they were on top. No wonder they flocked to Sony or any other competitive console at the first chance. Any deal they could get with Sony at the time was probably a million times better than what nintendo was offering. Nintendo deserves the tiny market share they have now and it will only continue to dwindle.

you should of kept your ass under the bridge you were hiding under.

cartridges were perfectly capable of delivering great games...they went to sony for other reasons besides cd.

3rd party was nintendos bitch because nintendo makes the best games....sony had to cater specifically to them so their console wouldnt go the way of atari and neo geo....good for them for stealing all the third party...killing sega and making nintendo owners buy two consoles every gen...**** sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#84 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Did you know Zelda games actually sell for squat?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#85 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

cartridges were perfectly capable of delivering great games...they went to sony for other reasons besides cd.

3rd party was nintendos bitch because nintendo makes the best games....sony had to cater specifically to them so their console wouldnt go the way of atari and neo geo....good for them for stealing all the third party...killing sega and making nintendo owners buy two consoles every gen...**** sony.

You actually think Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid would have fit on a cartridge? lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By KBFloYd

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

You actually think Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid would have fit on a cartridge? lol

final fantasy 6 was a good game too and that was on the snes.....since they were working for sony they started making 2disc 3disc games to get more people hype....try to poke fun at nintendo by showing how much better their product was.."look! our shit needs 3cds!"....it was all for show and bragging....

they could of made great games on n64 cartridges.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

final fantasy 6 was a good game too and that was on the snes.....since they were working for sony they started making 2disc 3disc games to get more people hype....try to poke fun at nintendo by showing how much better their product was.."look! our shit needs 3cds!"....it was all for show and bragging....

FF 6 being a good game is irrelevant to prince's point. The question was pretty simple, which of course you dodged. The cartridges could hold what... 32-64 MBs, while CD's at the time held 650-700 MBs.

Again, them making great games on N64 cartridges is irrelevant. What they couldn't do is make the games they originally wanted. Do you think they could have made FF7 or MGS on N64 cartridges? No, they couldn't. The games those companies wanted to make would not have worked on the 64; therefore, they went to the PS1, where they could make the games they wanted without restrictions.

We all know you hate Sony, and refuse to realize that Nintendo messed up sticking with cartridges. It really should show you how much Nintendo messed up that generation as Nintendo went from the top dog to being confined to the PS1's shadow.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By KBFloYd

@StrifeDelivery said:

@KBFloYd said:

FF 6 being a good game is irrelevant to prince's point. The question was pretty simple, which of course you dodged. The cartridges could hold what... 32-64 MBs, while CD's at the time held 650-700 MBs.

Again, them making great games on N64 cartridges is irrelevant. What they couldn't do is make the games they originally wanted. Do you think they could have made FF7 or MGS on N64 cartridges? No, they couldn't. The games those companies wanted to make would not have worked on the 64; therefore, they went to the PS1, where they could make the games they wanted without restrictions.

We all know you hate Sony, and refuse to realize that Nintendo messed up sticking with cartridges. It really should show you how much Nintendo messed up that generation as Nintendo went from the top dog to being confined to the PS1's shadow.

im saying the only reason the game was so big was becuase they had so much free space to work with...

had sony used cartridges as well, ff7 would have still been an awesome game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

really? so no one bought 3rd party on the nes and snes?

it wasnt until sony got asshurt by nintendo that they decided to monoplize 3rd party with the n64.

Third party games weren't the most leading in sales in the NES and SNES era (more people bought Mortal Kombat games on the Genesis/Megadrive and to add, even Killer Instinct was preferred over the MK games on the SNES, the only third party game to even hit the top 10 in the SNES lifecycle is Street Fighter II).

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#90 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

@KBFloYd said:

im saying the only reason the game was so big was becuase they had so much free space to work with...

You're wrong. You don't even have anything to support what you're saying... Squaresoft needed to put the game they wanted to make on a CD-ROM. A tiny N64 cartridge would never have cut it.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200510/

The reality of the situation was that the technical demo was nothing more than an experiment by Square. An interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the Final Fantasy series, from the PlayStation Underground #2 demo CD, elaborates on this:

"In August of 95, one of the US's largest CG conventions, SIGGRAPH, was held in Los Angeles. At that time we were not sure what the next generation RPG game should look like, so as an experiment we created a CG based, game like, interactive demo to be presented at the show. It focused on battle scenes that were 100% real time and polygon based. This became the seed of Final Fantasy VII and it was then that we decided to make this a CG based game."

Sakaguchi goes on to describe why the game had to be released on CD-ROM media, leading to the reason that the game was released for the PlayStation and could not be released for the Nintendo 64.

"When we discussed designing the field scenes as illustrations or CG based, we came up with the idea to eliminate the connection between movies and the fields. Without using blackout at all, and maintaining quality at the same time, we would make the movie stop at one cut and make the characters move around on it. We tried to make it controllable even during the movies. As a result of using a lot of motion data + CG effects and in still images, it turned out to be a mega capacity game, and therefore we had to choose CD-ROM as our media. It other words, we became too aggressive, and got ourselves into trouble."

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By KBFloYd

@princeofshapeir said:

@KBFloYd said:

You're wrong. You don't even have anything to support what you're saying... Squaresoft needed to put the game they wanted to make on a CD-ROM. A tiny N64 cartridge would never have cut it.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200510/

The reality of the situation was that the technical demo was nothing more than an experiment by Square. An interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the Final Fantasy series, from the PlayStation Underground #2 demo CD, elaborates on this:

"In August of 95, one of the US's largest CG conventions, SIGGRAPH, was held in Los Angeles. At that time we were not sure what the next generation RPG game should look like, so as an experiment we created a CG based, game like, interactive demo to be presented at the show. It focused on battle scenes that were 100% real time and polygon based. This became the seed of Final Fantasy VII and it was then that we decided to make this a CG based game."

Sakaguchi goes on to describe why the game had to be released on CD-ROM media, leading to the reason that the game was released for the PlayStation and could not be released for the Nintendo 64.

"When we discussed designing the field scenes as illustrations or CG based, we came up with the idea to eliminate the connection between movies and the fields. Without using blackout at all, and maintaining quality at the same time, we would make the movie stop at one cut and make the characters move around on it. We tried to make it controllable even during the movies. As a result of using a lot of motion data + CG effects and in still images, it turned out to be a mega capacity game, and therefore we had to choose CD-ROM as our media. It other words, we became too aggressive, and got ourselves into trouble."

so why did EA abandon sega? why did capcom not put street fighter on the n64?

its not because sony had the first cd console....there was much more to it than that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#92 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

so why did EA abandon sega? why did capcom not put street fighter on the n64?

its not because sony had the first cd console....there was much more to it than that.

EA most likely abandoned Sega because they found the Sega Saturn to be too difficult to work with. Capcom most likely abandoned Nintendo because N64 cartridges were too expensive and much less profitable.

The PS1 being a CD console gave it a big advantage over the N64. The PS1 being relatively easier to develop for gave it a big advantage over the Saturn. Sony built the PS1 from the ground up with third-parties in mind, which gave the PS1 a big advantage over its competitors.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@funsohng said:

@jhcho2 said:

This really is depressing. Bayonetta and Vanquish were my favorite action games of gen 7. Both didn't do that great.