How to Drastically Improve Sonic: Stop Buying It

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

For the Internet Generation:

1. Every time you buy a crappy Sonic game, SEGA eats a puppy.

2. They're all crappy.

-

Please, think of the puppies.

For those who understand economics:

1. If you buy crap just because it's called Sonic, SEGA will keep making it.

2. It's all crap.

-

Please, stop buying Sonic games.

For those who like to read:

1. Sonic and the Black Knight? Sonic Unleased? Good lord - we're trusting SEGA again? After Sonic 2006? No - these will be *more of the same* low-quality we've come to expect. Sonic Chronicles? Bioware is making fun of SEGA - I can't shake the feeling Dark Brotherhood is a giant joke where Sonic Team is the punchline.

2. They're all crap (except Bioware)

-

Please, think of the reviewers.

Please System Wars, turn to your nearest SEGA fanboy, tap them on the shoulder and say "look, Sonic had a nice run, really, he did, but this has got to stop". If you have to, take their wallet - really - this has got to stop.

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
Yeah I don't like sonic anymore. I want to be excited for the Bioware sonic game cause I love Bioware, but I just can't.
bugmansean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bugmansean
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Turn to your nearest SEGA fanboy, tap them on the shoulder...

subrosian

I suggest something slightly more violent, these are furries we're dealing with here.

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Adonymous
Member since 2008 • 1664 Posts
Sonic ohh boy..never has a game character been so awesome...then so crappy
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Sonic Unleashed looks like a solid A title but yea the sonic series has become very bad recently except the handheld ones
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(
yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
All I'm asking for is a game with high res 2D sprites with a Sonic that doesn't run at 300 miles per hour. Add in some creative levels and less story, then I'm all set. And if it is truly fantastic, call it Sonic The Hedgehog 4.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
   1. The Sonic Rush series has been outstanding 2. Sonic and the Secret Rings WAS a drastic improvement over Sonic '06 or Shadow the Hedgehog. It received an 8 from Eurogamer, a B from 1up, a 7.6 from Gamespot, and a 7.6 from GameTrailers. Sonic Unleashed looks awesome. Sonic Chronicles won a sleugh of awards at E3. Sonic and the Black Knight looks great in the scans, and from what we hear will be an improvement in every way over Secret Rings.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 subrosian

I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(beast667

You're not the slightest bit concerned that the footage of "actual gameplay" is just pre-scripted running paths where you push buttons at the right time (fun!) to guide Sonic, or that the vast majority of it was at camera angles which would make it impossible to see where you are running?

Remember, SEGA will put out Sonic Unleashed in time for the holidays, whether it's finished or not.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Please System Wars, turn to your nearest SEGA fanboy, tap them on the shoulder and say "look, Sonic had a nice run, really, he did, but this has got to stop". If you have to, take their wallet - really - this has got to stop.

subrosian

You know, for some reason I don't think Panzer_Zwei is going to like that...:P

Yeah, Sonic's recent games have been mediocre when compared to his older titles. Secret Rings got okay scores, but before that (since Adventure 2 I'd guess) it was all trash (Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, anyone?).
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 beast667

1. The Sonic Rush series has been outstanding 2. Sonic and the Secret Rings WAS a drastic improvement over Sonic '06 or Shadow the Hedgehog. It received an 8 from Eurogamer, a B from 1up, a 7.6 from Gamespot, and a 7.6 from GameTrailers. Sonic Unleashed looks awesome. Sonic Chronicles won a sleugh of awards at E3. Sonic and the Black Knight looks great in the scans, and from what we hear will be an improvement in every way over Secret Rings.famicommander
the Rush games are probably what keeps Sonic alive anymore. Those were great games, but everyone overlooks them and sees the Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360 and PS3 :(

Speaking of fallen franchises, I see you're about to play Rayman 2 :D amazing game, too bad rayman 3 sucked so bad :(

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 famicommander
Also, Sonic '06 sold terribly. Despite the popular opinion, Sonic fans aren't happy with terrible games either. Rush and Secret Rings hit over one million, whereas Sonic '06 didn't even hit half a million (PS3 and 360 versions combined).
masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts

I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(beast667

This is how most of the 3D sonic games work

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

[QUOTE="beast667"]I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(masori

lol, so true.......

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 subrosian

the Rush games are probably what keeps Sonic alive anymore. beast667

Unfortunately the people who call themselves "Sonic fans" these days buy *every Sonic game*. SEGA will keep making the crappy ones because people keep buying them. Solutions? Stop buying the 360, PS3, Wii, and PS2 Sonic games. And frankly, we may need to stop buying Rush too until SEGA hires a better level designer. Repetitive boss fights? Hundreds of blind jumps? Annoying mechanics? Stupid sidekick characters? Ugh...

(paraphrased)All the new Sonic games look greatfamicommander

When you buy these *terrible* looking games, you become part of the problem. Come over here, with us, and be part of the solution. Stop buying console Sonics - we'll let you know when they've made a good one. Unleashed and Black Knight aren't the good ones.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

sonic made an evolution ! go sonic go :D

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 subrosian

Also, Sonic '06 sold terribly. Despite the popular opinion, Sonic fans aren't happy with terrible games either. Rush and Secret Rings hit over one million, whereas Sonic '06 didn't even hit half a million (PS3 and 360 versions combined).famicommander

Secret Rings was also crap - see the OP. The only reason Secret Rings wasn't plagued by technical problems was that Sonic was on rails - which entirely defeats the purpose of a Sonic game.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Sonic Unleashed looked alright until I discovered that werehog thing, my hope for it fell drastically.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 beast667

[QUOTE="beast667"]I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(masori

Unleashed is 2D gameplay with 3D environments, and thats the only reason I have any hope for the game. That chart is just all to true :(

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 famicommander
[QUOTE="famicommander"](paraphrased)All the new Sonic games look greatsubrosian
When you buy these *terrible* looking games, you become part of the problem. Come over here, with us, and be part of the solution. Stop buying console Sonics - we'll let you know when they've made a good one. Unleashed and Black Knight aren't the good ones.

First off, I don't buy bad Sonic games. I stayed far the hell away from the Gamecube ports, the Riders games, Sonic '06, and Shadow the Hedgehog. Second, you saying these games look terrible doesn't mean they will be terrible. We've seen that Sonic can still be good. Secret Rings, Rush, and Rush Adventure are prime examples. Every preview of Unleashed has been positive for the most part. Sonic Chronicles won best DS game of E3 at GameTrailers. You're not providing any substance in your arguments. You're just labeling games you know almost nothing about "terrible". I for one am going to play each of the games before buying them, but you apparently are just going to bash them.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 subrosian
[QUOTE="masori"]

[QUOTE="beast667"]I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(beast667

Unleashed is 2D gameplay with 3D environments, and thats the only reason I have any hope for the game. That chart is just all to true :(

One word: WereSonic.

I mean - really? I thought Sonic making out with a little girl was bad, but Sonic as a WereHedgehog looked almost as awkward as that glitchy boss fight between Sonic and Silver in Sonic the Hedgehog.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 beast667

[QUOTE="beast667"] the Rush games are probably what keeps Sonic alive anymore. subrosian

Unfortunately the people who call themselves "Sonic fans" these days buy *every Sonic game*. SEGA will keep making the crappy ones because people keep buying them. Solutions? Stop buying the 360, PS3, Wii, and PS2 Sonic games. And frankly, we may need to stop buying Rush too until SEGA hires a better level designer. Repetitive boss fights? Hundreds of blind jumps? Annoying mechanics? Stupid sidekick characters? Ugh...

I meant Rush keeps it alive in terms of quality. I know they all sell, but Rush and Rush Adventure are the only reasons I'm even willing to pay attention to Sonic. Even the Rush games are falling in quality compared to the Sonic Advance series, though...
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
Why would they harm the puppies? :cry:
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ONLYDOD
[QUOTE="masori"]

[QUOTE="beast667"]I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(beast667

You haven't seen the whole werehog thing have you?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YxGC6guW_Mg

It looked great until the werehog bit, maybe im just overeacting? Does anyone else think that the werehog bit looked a bit, bad?

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 beast667
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="masori"]

[QUOTE="beast667"]I'm not giving up on Sonic Unleashed until I see reviews. I did die a little inside when I saw Sonic and the Black Knight though :(subrosian

I mean - really? I thought Sonic making out with a little girl was bad, but Sonic as a WereHedgehog looked almost as awkward as that glitchy boss fight between Sonic and Silver in Sonic the Hedgehog.

I hadn't seen that. I may have to do a search to kill any hopes I had.

edit:

It looked great until the werehog bit, maybe im just overeacting? Does anyone else think that the werehog bit looked a bit, bad?

ONLYDOD

just watched it, hopes effectively killed :(

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 subrosian

Why would they harm the puppies? :cry:SSCyborg

As Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) demonstrates, they just don't care anymore.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"]Also, Sonic '06 sold terribly. Despite the popular opinion, Sonic fans aren't happy with terrible games either. Rush and Secret Rings hit over one million, whereas Sonic '06 didn't even hit half a million (PS3 and 360 versions combined).subrosian

Secret Rings was also crap - see the OP. The only reason Secret Rings wasn't plagued by technical problems was that Sonic was on rails - which entirely defeats the purpose of a Sonic game.

That's ridiculous. Sonic and the Secret Rings was a very good game. It was the best-looking Wii game to be released at the time, it had good gameplay, and above all, it was fun. You're labelling it "crap", but that doesn't make it crap. It got great reviews, it was widely regarded as the best 3D Sonic game since the Dreamcast, and it sold well. 8.5 from Nintendo Power 8 from Eurogamer B from 1up 7.6 from GameTrailers 7.6 from GameSpot 6.9 from IGN You don't have to like the game. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But to say that it's "crap" is utterly ridiculous.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 famicommander

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]Why would they harm the puppies? :cry:subrosian

Sonic '06 came out two years ago, and there have been good entries in the series since.
footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts
i've never bought a sonic sense the the dreamcast, but i plan to buy sonic unleashed just to say goodbye to the gameing icon
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
  • If you buy remakes they will keep making them
  • If you buy spinoffs they will keep making them
  • If you buy ports of generation old games they will keep making them
  • If you buy nothing but Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts you will rarely see games outside of those

Oh crap this was about if you buy crappy Sonic they will continue to make crappy Sonic. My bad lol. But yeah I agree.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

Posting in a soon to be epic thread.

And Sonic Unleashed does look nice. A, possibly even AA if they can get the Werehog right.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ONLYDOD
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="masori"]

I hadn't seen that. I may have to do a search to kill any hopes I had.

edit:

ONLYDOD

just watched it, hopes effectively killed :(

I guess it's not just me then, I would so much more happier knowing that the whole werehog idea was scrapped and only the other gameplay was there. It seems kind of like the whole Sci Fi side story in Assasins Creed, it's uncessesary and it is only going to act as a boring bit of filler inbetween the good parts of the game.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SSCyborg
  • If you buy nothing but Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts you will rarely see games outside of those

Oh crap this was about if you buy crappy Sonic they will continue to make crappy Sonic. My bad lol. But yeah I agree.

Blackbond

You really don't like Squeenix right now don't you?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 subrosian

But to say that it's "crap" is utterly ridiculous. famicommander

Review scores don't prove something is a good Sonic game. Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't a real Sonic game - it was on rails. Unless something is free-run, it is not a genuine Sonic platformer. Q.E.D. Of course, judging by your signature, you're not providing us with an unbiased look at Sonic :/.

I for one am going to play each of the games before buying them. famicommander

To rent a game means a rental company must first buy it. By renting Sonic games you encourage them to buy more copies - thus, you are still being part of the problem by renting.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 subrosian

And Sonic Unleashed does look nice. A, possibly even AA if they can get the Werehog right.

VanHelsingBoA64

Trusting SEGA to correctly implement something that could easily be lame is like trusting Michael Jackson to babysit your kids. Maybe he's not really a pedophile, maybe those accusations are false - but even if he's not, he's still a really creepy dude who probably shouldn't be around your kids.

Let's look at the track record here - after Sonic & Knuckles, has SEGA managed to introduce one new character who didn't make you cringe and feel nerdy just for playing the game? Has any new Sonic power since Hyper Sonic passed the "not completely lame" test? Nope. Shadow & Guns? Lame. Silver? Lame. Blaze? Lame. Big the Cat? Lame.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"] But to say that it's "crap" is utterly ridiculous. subrosian

Review scores don't prove something is a good Sonic game. Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't a real Sonic game - it was on rails. Unless something is free-run, it is not a genuine Sonic platformer. Q.E.D. Of course, judging by your signature, you're not providing us with an unbiased look at Sonic :/.

I for one am going to play each of the games before buying them. famicommander

To rent a game means a rental company must first buy it. By renting Sonic games you encourage them to buy more copies - thus, you are still being part of the problem by renting.

You're still not providing any arguments with substance. You can't disqualify Secret Rings as a Sonic game just because it wasn't one in the traditional sense, especially considering one of the games you're bashing in your original post is a sequel. Sonic and the Secret Rings was a good game starring Sonic the Hedgehog, pure and simple. Second, I don't see any real "problem". The last terrible Sonic games ('06, Rivals 2, Riders 2) sold terribly. The last few good Sonic games (Rush, Rush Adventure, Secret Rings, Rivals 1) are some of the best-selling third party games on their respecive platforms.
noi07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 noi07
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

I mean - really? I thought Sonic making out with a little girl was bad...

subrosian

Had you played Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)? I do not remember Sonic "making out" with a little girl. What I remembered is that "little girl" is 17 year-old princess who seems to have an infatuation with Sonic. There was no sex ("making out" as you call it) between them.

One thing: "Sonic and the Secret Rings" is not a bad game, nor do any game that rates in the 70s score range.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 beast667
[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"]

subrosian

Trusting SEGA to correctly implement something that could easily be lame is like trusting Michael Jackson to babysit your kids. Maybe he's not really a pedophile, maybe those accusations are false - but even if he's not, he's still a really creepy dude who probably shouldn't be around your kids.

Let's look at the track record here - after Sonic & Knuckles, has SEGA managed to introduce one new character who didn't make you cringe and feel nerdy just for playing the game? Has any new Sonic power since Hyper Sonic passed the "not completely lame" test? Nope. Shadow & Guns? Lame. Silver? Lame. Blaze? Lame. Big the Cat? Lame.

Big the Cat made me want to shoot somebody. There are a bunch of other characters that have been introduced, but they all suck so bad I don't even want to mention them.
masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts

ONLYDOD

oh crap now the song is stuck in my head:shock:

look like the game will have sonic stages and werehog stages (well maybe)

don't screw this up sega

bugmansean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bugmansean
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Since when was Secret Rings a good game? I'll admit to playing it and I thought it was terrible, as did most people when it first came out. Is it just a good game in comparison to the others?
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

SSCyborg

You really don't like Squeenix right now don't you?

They make themselves really hard to like now and days.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 famicommander
Since when was Secret Rings a good game? I'll admit to playing it and I thought it was terrible, as did most people when it first came out. Is it just a good game in comparison to the others?bugmansean
No, it's just a good game. It's one of those "love it or hate it games", but reviews for it were largely positive.
fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]Why would they harm the puppies? :cry:subrosian

for non believers !

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SSCyborg

They make themselves really hard to like now and days.

Blackbond

Well... I am getting Infinite Undiscovery(they're publishing) and The Last Remnant from them.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
The core gameplay of Sonic Unleashed looks awesome I'm just not feeling the whole "Were-Sonic" idea. I personally will not dismiss the game just because of that. As for Sonic and the Black Knight, as long as they fix the problems of Sonic and the Secret Rings it could be fun.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 subrosian
[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]

masori

oh crap now the song is stuck in my head:shock:

look like the game will have sonic stages and werehog stages (well maybe)

don't screw this up sega

God awful. Absolutely awful - it looks like they were having trouble doing the stupid switch-puzzle (straight out of Sonic Adventure) even in the demo. Does not bode well.

The last terrible Sonic games ('06, Rivals 2, Riders 2) sold terribly. The last few good Sonic games (Rush, Rush Adventure, Secret Rings, Rivals 1) are some of the best-selling third party games on their respecive platforms. famicommander

Sonic Rivals got a 6.9 - that's not a "good game" if we're going by your review score argument (which, for the record, I think is idiotic). If we're going by your sales argument, Sonic Rush Adventure was outsold by Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), and only barely outsold Sonic Rivals 2 (a far inferior game). Sonic Heroes (two words: overrated crap) outsold Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure *combined*

-

Ironically, I've played all of these games (review copies, friends copies, and the like) and I'm beginning to think that's part of the problem - we need to stop playing these, we need to stop hyping these, we need to stand outside stores menacing anyone who even *thinks* of buying a Sonic game (okay - that's a little extreme - but it might work). Maybe we need true SEGA fans to stand in the aisle and yell at anyone who touches a copy - maybe gamefly should send you an angry letter instead of the game if you request one.

-

Something - anything - to put an end to this tide of A-rated or lower low-quality garbage from a company that keeps promising AAA "gold" "clas sic" sonics and delivering us "Sonic and Friends ruin platforming".

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 subrosian

[QUOTE="bugmansean"]Since when was Secret Rings a good game? I'll admit to playing it and I thought it was terrible, as did most people when it first came out. Is it just a good game in comparison to the others?famicommander
No, it's just a good game. It's one of those "love it or hate it games", but reviews for it were largely positive.

Reviews don't make a game good - reviewers are just as susceptible to SEGA's aura of baloney as anyone. That a 7.6 is now considered "good job" for SEGA is proof enough of how far they've fallen. My feeling is that we (being the people who know, love, and understand gaming and are blessed with intellect & good taste) honestly feel sorry for SEGA - we set the bar extremely low - we say "make a game with only a few minor technical errors and we'll forgive that it's on rails, not really a platformer, and has a storyline that a five year old would think is cheesy".

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

*Reads posts*

*Feels nostalgic*

*Grabs Sonic Mega Collection+*

*Plays Sonic the Hedgehog 3*

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

sonic stopped being good after sonic heroes at the very latest.