How The Evil Within Fails at Horror (IGN)

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

User Lists: 0

#51 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

The fact that the player has all these weapons at his disposal makes this non-scary by default.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

I think evil within will top RE4

That's a big claim to make :P

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Well we can think of the flaws RE4 had in which this game can improve, and the only flaws i can think of in RE4 was the story was complete crap, and some bosses did become disfigured ramdon tentacles. So if they can put up a better enemy design and a decent story i think it might stand a chance... if it doesn't messes up everything else that RE4 showed the world how to do.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I would like to remind all of you that Resident Evil 4 has become as old as RE1 was when RE4 came out! So, your claims of RE4 being such a classic and the best game of its kind are as valid as those which put RE1/2/3 above RE4 in 2005. In other words, you are not better than the purists of RE1 which would still like this archaic game formula to prevail.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#55 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

@TheGuardian03
said:

Bitch, slap yourself.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#56 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Sad to hear some of the stuff in this article as some of it was exactly what I feared

In the city section, The Evil Within fails to feel threatening at every turn. Sebastian is so empowered that it robs The Evil Within of any tension in combat. He’s able to obliterate oblivious enemies with his sniper rifle, shotgun, revolver, and a crossbow that can instantly freeze or explode targets. Power, like Sebastian’s silence, negates any fear. He expresses himself with his armory

Sadly it doesn't sound like a scary game but more action ehavy like RE4. At least let's hope it's half as well paced as RE4 then

Source

apparently two demos were shown and the second was way more horrory. I think there's also been other positive articles about the game. I will wait for more info before I take IGN's word.

In the demo, the player quickly pulled out a shotgun and blasted the Keeper with the weapon until the creature's body shuddered, collapsed and the safe's door popped open and a blood poured out in thick rivulets.

Running through the dungeon, Castellano picked up some gear from different rooms including a flashlight and what appeared to be gears. The gears, I was told later, can be used to craft ammo for certain weapons. In this case, the player created special bolts for a crossbow that can freeze enemies in an explosion of ice.

Later, we see the weapon in action as Castellano shoots the Keeper with a bolt, freezing him solid and allowing him to blast away at the creature until it collapses.

The Keeper's ability to respawn isn't just used to allow the creature to return to antagonize Castellano over and over again. In one scene, the detective manages to slip away from the creature and finds himself on the other side of a cage from the Keeper.

Undaunted, the Keeper grabbed his the barbed safe on his neck and slowly started to pull it forward, struggling to rend the tendons that attached it to his body until finally it popped loose, releasing a stream of blood and seemingly killing the Keeper. But the gouts of blood that poured from the safe door oozed through the cell bars and then into another nearby safe, growing a new giant body and attacking Castellano.

As Castellano ran from the creature he stepped on a trap, barbed wire shoot from the device, wrapping like steel vines around his leg. After freeing himself, the detective managed to open a vault door and escape through it, closing the door behind him. As the door swung shut on the view of the Keeper, you could see the creature pulling at his head, trying to wrest it free from his neck. The sound of a head popping loose could be clearly heard through the door. Castellano ran, rounded a corner only to discover a safe laying on the ground. As he approached it, it popped off the ground, strands of barbed wire shooting out and grabbing Castellano's face. The safe slammed against the detectives head, barbed wire wrapping around the head until he manages to pull it loose. When the safe fell to the ground, it grew a body and the Keeper gave chase.

Where the first demo looked almost like a standard shooter with zombies and a couple of twists, the second demo was a startling take on horror with a surprising macabre twist.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/11/560...-demo-pax-east

Thats good to hear.

BilkeLegenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BilkeLegenda
Member since 2009 • 1933 Posts

Dead space 1 turned out to be amazing, so I wouldn't judge the evil within till it hits the shelves.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

base on what I watch .... I have to agree with IGN's negavive preview ........ Evil Within model characters looks bad .... like the graphic of sega dreamcast ....

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#59 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

This sounds like RE4. Very good news!

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

Re4 wasnt scary either but at least it added some tension,in my opinion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I feel sorry for people thinking a repeat of 2005 archaic gameplay would do wonders in 2014. And for that reason alone, I hope The Evil Within will flop miserably.

I mean.. I do get what you're saying. As nice as those mechanics were in 05 and as well as they still work now, it would be a bit lame to get more of the same 9 years later. RE4 still holds up, but his newest game shouldn't just be a re-skin of what worked then.

That said, RE4 was more than just some tight mechanics. The level design/encounter design and pacing were top notch. If this game can deliver like RE4 did in those areas I'd be more than satisfied.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Here's the problem with the survival horror genre. As you get older, horror gets less horrifying.

It has more to do with the age/maturity level of the gamer, than the actual game.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Here's the problem with the survival horror genre. As you get older, horror gets less horrifying.

It has more to do with the age/maturity level of the gamer, than the actual game.

This and i'm sure mikami will make a solid game. Vanquish was awesome, SOTD was pretty middle of the road ( I blame that on suda) but was still fun to play.
Evil Within if nothing will be an interesting experience in horror. I mean all the people are saying "lol won't be scary" we grew up playing his horror games realizing how scary they were
We're older now and A LOT more desensitized. Nonetheless Evil within will probably have some really outstanding moments.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The original trailers made it seem like a return to real horror games. Players want to be scared. You're only scared if your character is underpowered or has no weapons.

Hard to feel fear when you've got a pump action shot gun in your hand.

You gotta limit weapons and ammo to balance out the fear-power element in the game.

It's a shame that dark souls is a scarier game than most horror games these days.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

I honestly can't remember the advertising for it, though watching back some of the trailers it is pretty similar to how TEW is promoting itself. I was just hoping for a bit more actual "get inside your head" horror than the tense over encumbered style of horror RE4 had. Though I'm basing this all on previews which is silly

Let's hope it's half as good as RE4 then if it's not straight scary

It's dat old perception vs reality thing again Sean.

Capcom's perception of the Resident Evil franchise(before and after 4): It's a survival-horror game

Reality: it's a fucking action game, with a horror setting. Anyone pretending they got anything more than that loves lying to themselves.

Plus RE4's big pitch and back of the box stuff was "A NEW KIND OF HORROR" or whatever. Which was fine as the idea they were aiming for were enemies that weren't lumbering idiots, but people who focused more on trapping you, using their numbers wisely, setting ambushes, and just being more aware. It's just what RE 4 was actually absurdly good at was great atmosphere tied with excellent pacing and first class encounter design.

That said that recent trailer of Evil Within did more to turn me off the game than actually get me excited. But it's Shinji, and I trust Shinji to make a good game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the game looked atrocious from the very moment they even showed the slightest bit of gameplay. This is the kind of game that someone like Finalstar would love because it's all style but no substance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

If it's like Resident Evil 4, I'm pre-emptively sold.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#68  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Well at least the game looks like it has the gruesome aspect down. Even if a game isn't too scary, I still enjoy it if it feels corrupted and disturbing. Like the Darkness. Not very scary, but the high level of violence gave it a really grim and disturbing atmosphere.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Called it. I called it. I called it a while back, everyone attacked me. But I called it. I was right.

Be aware of this.

No one cares what you think, Jankarop. Just like any village idiot, we laugh at you and move on.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

So I got to watch about 30 minutes of this game at PAX and I must say I was extremely disappointed. Going in not knowing a damn thing about it I was very open to the idea but there wasn't a single thing that was scary about the game nor were the graphics anything to write home about. Gameplay was also meh. Reminded me of Resident Evil and a bad one at that There was this one part where the walls were getting smaller and eventually pushed the character and all he did was slide across the floor. No exclamation like, "What the ****!" or some attempt to speed up his progress through the hallway. If a wall was about to crush my ass I'd be flipping out trying to get to the end.

The game looks half-baked. The only decent part of the wait was The Evil Within yourself station with an attractive Bethesda employee who basically let me turn my face into the game cover. Very disappointing.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries

We like RE4.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#73 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@chronoschris: At the very least, it has the look down. Lots of creepy and demented looking enemy designs.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I'm fairly optimistic about this game. I'm guessing it will be something I like, but may not be a thing for all critics, and that's fine with me.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Called it. I called it. I called it a while back, everyone attacked me. But I called it. I was right.

Be aware of this.

Considering how much your word is worth... I'm definetely buying The Evil Within :)

Anything that you claim is bad can't be that bad

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Well we can think of the flaws RE4 had in which this game can improve, and the only flaws i can think of in RE4 was the story was complete crap, and some bosses did become disfigured ramdon tentacles. So if they can put up a better enemy design and a decent story i think it might stand a chance... if it doesn't messes up everything else that RE4 showed the world how to do.

The hit register and what counted as a knock back wasn't great either, but it's way more noticeable when you go knife/handgun only. :P

The game was also pretty tanky, but I could consider that a part of the game, so I guess that's not so much of a flaw. Depends on the person for that.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Be aware of this.

No one cares what you think, Jankarop. Just like any village idiot, we laugh at you and move on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

My vindication appears to be making people angry. Due to me being incredibly right (as predicted).

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Master_ShakeXXX said:
@TheGuardian03 said:

Bitch, slap yourself.

Why would you say that? Game isn't out yet. That's really a pretty erroneous assumption.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

the only flaws i can think of in RE4 was the story was complete crap

The story was pretty good for a Resident Evil game. It was just as cheesy and stupid as any of the other games, but was actually aware of how cheesy and stupid it was and decided to have fun with it.

"some bosses did become disfigured ramdon tentacles."

Only one boss did that.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

But if its still good, would it really matter?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@blangenakker said:

But if its still good, would it really matter?

Not really no. Just different to expectation I guess

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

That doesn't bother me.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Not hard to beat RE4

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

5 reasons why The Evil Within can't scare anyone:

1. Detached Protagonist

2. Surviving is Utterly Easy

3. Old Fashioned “Scaring” Tricks

4. Repetitive Horror Techniques

5. Enemies are Hardly Convincing

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#86 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I knew this was going to happen right after i saw the gameplay footage. Will anyone ever make an actual horror game? I'm sick of all this action/horror crap.... If i could make a horror game i would make people shit their pants.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Not hard to beat RE4

It's pretty hard. Not many games match the level design and overall game design of RE4.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i buy the ps4 version i cant wait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Not hard to beat RE4

Not hard to beat one of the best games ever made? Yeah, sure

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ballroompirate

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Not hard to beat RE4

Outside of the tight/well done gameplay and amazing graphics for it's time, RE4 was pretty meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Not hard to beat RE4

Outside of the tight/well done gameplay and amazing graphics for it's time, RE4 was pretty meh.

"Outside of these things that made it fantastic and many games today still can't get right, it wasn't all that great"

That's how you just sounded

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Ballroompirate

@seanmcloughlin:

Only having amazing gameplay doesn't really make it stand out when it has meh everything else.

Honestly I just wish they went with their original concept of RE4

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Only having amazing gameplay doesn't really make it stand out when it has meh everything else.

Meh everything else how? It delivers exactly what it sets out to do

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Ballroompirate

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin:

You mean a laughable story (the whole las plagas thing is a fraking joke), meh setting, 0 scare factor and throws ammo/herbs/weapons at you in droves. Then there's Ashley, the worst AI companion ever made.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin:

You mean a laughable story (the whole las plagas thing is a fraking joke), meh setting, 0 scare factor and throws ammo/herbs/weapons at you in droves. Then there's Ashley, the worst AI companion ever made.

Well, I do not see how the original concept would have helped. It still looks like it focuses on shooting enemies and has QTE. The only thing that is different is killer baby dolls and a ghost. And you mean to tell me that ghost and killer baby dolls would have been less laughable? I also do not see the big problem with the scare factor. Were you ok the first time you saw that maniac with the chainsaw, the tentacle head, the worm head that eats your head, it mutant with the praying mantis back, or even the regenerators? Honestly, it is all subjective. Your opinion is just as important as everyone elses.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Sean, give it a rest. It's his word against yours. Personally I think RE4 is the epitome of everything what's wrong with video games but I know I won't force my views on other people.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ballroompirate

@cooolio said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Well, I do not see how the original concept would have helped. It still looks like it focuses on shooting enemies and has QTE. The only thing that is different is killer baby dolls and a ghost. And you mean to tell me that ghost and killer baby dolls would have been less laughable? I also do not see the big problem with the scare factor. Were you ok the first time you saw that maniac with the chainsaw, the tentacle head, the worm head that eats your head, it mutant with the praying mantis back, or even the regenerators? Honestly, it is all subjective. Your opinion is just as important as everyone elses.

All of those mobs were a joke and did nothing for me, even the "troll" was meh. Don't get me wrong I like RE4 but people love the game way too much w/o actually looking at it's flaws which is why we have RE5 and RE6.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin:

The story isn't the best ever written I'll agree but I still come back to "it delivers what it sets out to". RE games have always had wacky and cheesy stories. Expecting it to be something more is on your end

Scare factor also comes down to what you find scary. Some people hate that tense overwhelming feeling of too many enemies and for them, that's scary. I didn't really get scared playing it either but that's because my idea of "Scary" isnt' the same as someone elses. Doesn't mean the game is flat out non-scary at all though

The ammo and herbs thing is dealt with through the game's dynamic difficulty. If you get too many of them it means you suck at the game and the game supplies you with more to keep you going. I played it recently on PC and while headshottng everyone and barely dying the game gave me barely any health items. The weapons are there for the action side of it, which the game fully promotes itself as "Action Horror"

Ashley I will agree on though. I hated her and wanted her to die

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Its going to be great then.