How many subscription services are you willing to pay for?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

PS+ is 50 bucks a year, XboxLiveGold is 60 bucks a year. Wouldn't be surprised if the NX is going to be getting one too. Plus there's stuff like EA Access, Playstation Now, and I'm sure others will be on their way over the next few years.

It used to be a lot easier to own all the consoles during a gen, all you had to do was pay the price of admission. And if a console got neglected for a while, it was no big deal. But if you want the full experience for each console, you're going to have to be dropping another ~ $150 bucks a year (if NX gets an online subscription). And you know you won't be giving equal time to each console, so it's like money down the drain.

A lot of people seem to like that they offer "free" games monthly, but with XboxLiveGold if your subscription runs out, you can't play the games anymore.

If each console costs ~400 dollars at launch (let's assume they last the whole gen without any repairs needed), and you're paying ~150 dollars a year for subscription services, and the gen lasts 6 years, you're going to end up dropping 2100 dollars that gen, and that's without purchasing any games or accessories or anything. Way too pricey if you ask me.

If this is the case, I'm only willing to own one console per gen anymore.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

probably one, and I wouldn't pay full price

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I pay only 1 - my phone and internet bill.

Even if i get the PS4 i'm not getting PS+ because i won't play online.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm not willing to pay for any video game subscription. I can play online on the PC for free. Consoles with subscription fees are very unappealing to me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

I don't play online.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I'm willing to pay for none whatsoever. I only game online on PC which costs me nothing outside of what I pay for my internet. **** paying Sony or MS to use my internet I am still amazed people are stupid enough to do that.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

None

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@ten_pints said:

None

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'll pay for PS+, it's like a LootCrate for games for me and I'm okay with that.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Im currently only paying for ps4. That's already one too many for my taste.

im conditioning myself to slowly shift to pc gaming for all multiplayer and multiplat games i may be interested in.

I might still stay with consoles for the exclusives...but that's starting to wane with the timed exclusivity game they keep playing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

You can find deals throughout the year. Got both Gold and PSN for $40.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Well lets see here, I'm already paying for Ps+ and Netflix, right now that's enough. Maybe in the future a third subscription wouldn't be that bad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Who pays PS+ for $50 and XBL $60 dollars a year? Hahahahaha, you'll can find way lower services if you look for deals like I do. I got Gold for $35 and PS+ for $30 last year.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Just one - Netflix

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I already pay for PSN and XBL. I was paying for 2 MMOs as well but I cut them down. I also pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I don't really like paying for PSN or XBL but I do like playing online games on both consoles, so I just bite the bullet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

depends on the returns for my Investments, and the services I get tbh.

Ideally I would only pay for one. I can barely stand PS+ as it is, but they do have the buffer of one subscription Works on al thier platforms. So if you own more tehn a PS4, then it does not bother me that much, I pretty much see it as a glorified extended renting service. that throws 3-4 games onto each system a month.

I dislike the idea of having to use it for online (which is somewhat Ironic, since I rarely use the PS4 or vita for anything online.

I don't know if MS has set thiers up the same way, but even if I had both corperations console, I would only have one subscription, but simply pick the one that gave me the most for the Money.

If Nintendo does a subscription fee? I would be cautious. I might not mind, if it is at a lower pricepoint, and ofers some really awesome services back, or give the monthly batch of legacy games, as I tend to really like the old games of the NES and SNES Era. But I could see myself on the fence. THey would have to bring something that beats the others service wise.

As for 3rd party subscriptions? No thanks. I understand it from a buisness perspective, and it can even hold value to some people, as it can be a cheap way to play random games, but it would require you to play a ton of games a day, way more then I do now, and for most of us, it would simply be an added cost.

ot to mention that I kind of like the notion that I own the license for the game I play, that I don't simply rent it.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Just the fee for FFXIV.

I bought one year of Xbox Live and never any after that. Never bought a PS+ subscription.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I don't play online games. I get bored of them too quickly.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Honestly, if Sony would give me access to all PS1 and PS2 games on their storefront, I'd be willing to pay for PS+. Ditto with Microsoft and OG Xbox games. I would think that this would be easier on them than giving a couple of "free" games per month like they are doing now. How many people purchase more than $50 worth of classic games per year, anyway? I'd pay for a Nintendo service if it included all NES, SNES, and N64 games. It would be a lot more appealing if they would get some Gamecube games on their storefront and offer those, too.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

I currently pay for PS Plus, and Spotify Premium.

I don't have any internet, cable, nor telephone payments as I work for a communications provider. But, I would probably pay for Xbox Live whenever I find myself purchasing an Xbox One.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

None. I'm not stupid enough yet to look at a fee to connect the game I bought to the internet I pay for (and to play on non-dedicated servers lol), as a feature worth paying a subscription for.

The free games they offer while you are on it is like a cute PR girl trying to charm a bunch of thirsty dudes into a fucking piramid scheme lol

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I'm pretty surprised at the number of people that don't subscribe to PSN or XBL here. $110 for an entire year of gaming online and "free" games is not a lot of money. That's like 30 cents a day..........

As for my answer I will subscribe to whatever as long as it enhances my experience.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I have one and I'm not even happy about that.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#25 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Currently subscribed to both XBL Gold and PS+. Tend to pick them up at a discount when I can.

If Nintendo goes with a paid service, it will depend on what they offer. Just online? Pass. Free games? Well we'll have to see what they do because their showing with Club Nintendo was downright horrendous most months with some standouts here and there. It really depends. I'll probably get it if they do one.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#26  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

1 only, and to the one I play on the most

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I pay for my ISP and a Star Citizen subscription.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

If they keep giving me value, I'll keep paying for them. I pay for both LIVE and PSN+, get heaps of free games and fun times with both, and I'm very happy. I also pay for Netflix, the WWE network, and would probably pay for a NIntendo Network if it was good enough too.

Cool shit costs money, I'm ok with paying for it. A years subscription = the cost of one game, it's not breaking the bank or anything :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#30 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cloud_imperium
@GarGx1 said:

8 Days left for Gamescom. Can't wait!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GarGx1

@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

It's going to be awesome the game really looks like it on the cusp of coming together :)

I was planning on going to Citizencon in Manchester this year but I missed the tickets going on sale and they sold out the same day :( Seriously considering going to Germany for Gamescom next year though.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Thunderdrone

@locopatho said:

If they keep giving me value, I'll keep paying for them. I pay for both LIVE and PSN+, get heaps of free games and fun times with both, and I'm very happy. I also pay for Netflix, the WWE network, and would probably pay for a NIntendo Network if it was good enough too.

Cool shit costs money, I'm ok with paying for it. A years subscription = the cost of one game, it's not breaking the bank or anything :P

They are not giving you free games. You are renting whatever they pick as """freebies""" every month.

Can you play these games once the subscription is over? Nope. You are not being "given" jack shit. The reason for the subscription is to fleece people who want to play online, period.

I'd go one step further and start monetizing people every 50 times they boot up their systems. But its cool though, I would give you free themes after every transaction so you can customize your menus... for as long as you hit that boot up quota that is.

Also, its only 9,99 for every 50 boot ups. Thats not much at all so I know you wont mind paying for a made up, scam of a service.

lol

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

It's going to be awesome the game really looks like it on the cusp of coming together :)

I was planning on going to Citizencon in Manchester this year but I missed the tickets going on sale and they sold out the same day :( Seriously considering going to Germany for Gamescom next year though.

Well, that sucks buddy. At least, you'll be able to livestream and seems like this time it won't crash over and over again. They are better prepared this time around. Can't wait man.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thunderdrone

Cracks me up to see people happy to pay for a completely made up toll booth between offline and online gaming. None of that money is being spent to make that particular online game run better, as most developers are responsible for their own netcoding and servers.

Sony and MS are literally asking you for money for nothing in return. Oh wait, you get to rent games they choose each month for that subscription fee, but that is totally not something made to make the deal less scammy.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho

@Thunderdrone said:

They are not giving you free games. You are renting whatever they pick as """freebies""" every month.

Can you play these games once the subscription is over? Nope. You are not being "given" jack shit.

Stop lying. My games with Gold ARE free forever, as a matter of fact. Both Metro games next month. That's worth the cost of a year's subscription by itself. The rest of the games I'll get will be just gravy.

The PS4 ones are "rented" true. I get 4 games a month for 5 euro cost. 1.25 to "rent" a game indefinitely? Yeah I think I can swing that ;)

@Thunderdrone said:

I'd go one step further and start monetizing people every 50 times they boot up their systems. But its cool though, I would give you free themes after every transaction so you can customize your menus... for as long as you hit that boot up quota that is.

Also, its only 9,99 for every 50 boot ups. Thats not much at all so I know you wont mind paying for a made up, scam of a service.

You're service doesn't provide me dozens of free games a year. I won't pay for it.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

3. Xbox Live, Amazon Prime (That two day free shipping is awesome), and Hulu Plus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

One at the most, not paying for any subscription in terms of gaming atm. Dodged it by waiting a while for Elder Scrolls Online.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By locopatho

@Thunderdrone said:

Cracks me up to see people happy to pay for a completely made up toll booth between offline and online gaming. None of that money is being spent to make that particular online game run better, as most developers are responsible for their own netcoding and servers.

Bollocks, MS has a massive infrastructure to help out devs do their online code. Every console with FREE online has had SHIT online. People are willing to pay for quality, you can "crack up" at that all you like.

@Thunderdrone said:

Sony and MS are literally asking you for money for nothing in return. Oh wait, you get to rent games they choose each month for that subscription fee, but that is totally not something made to make the deal less scammy.

I get 2 to 4 games a month for 5 euro. I don't even play my PS4 online. I just want the games. It's awesome. Why are you so pissed off at gamers getting super cheap games? The price of one retail game will get you 24 - 48 PSN+ games over the course of a year. Stop pretending that's a bad thing.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GarGx1

@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

Well, that sucks buddy. At least, you'll be able to livestream and seems like this time it won't crash over and over again. They are better prepared this time around. Can't wait man.

It just won't be the same, if we don't crash the stream and the C.I.G. servers, it tradition :)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@locopatho said:
@Thunderdrone said:

Can you play these games once the subscription is over? Nope. You are not being "given" jack shit.

Stop lying. My games with Gold ARE free forever, as a matter of fact. Both Metro games next month. That's worth the cost of a year's subscription by itself. The rest of the games I'll get will be just gravy.

I don't agree with a lot of what Thunderdrone is saying, but any games that you have to be subscribed to a service to acquire are not free. You're paying the fee of the service to get them.

Making games that are not actually free seem free is how they make the subscription more enticing.

That being said, if one has the money, there's nothing wrong with paying for online. The only reason I wouldn't (my main platforms are PS3 and a Wii U, so I don't have to at the moment) is because I don't play online very often.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho

@GreySeal9 said:

I don't agree with a lot of what Thunderdrone is saying, but any games that you have to be subscribed to a service to acquire are not free. You're paying the fee of the service to get them.

Making games that are not actually free seem free is how they make the subscription more enticing.

That being said, if one has the money, there's nothing wrong with paying for online. The only reason I wouldn't (my main platforms are PS3 and a Wii U, so I don't have to at the moment) is because I don't play online very often.

I pay for Gold anyway. To play with my friends. The games each month, to me, ARE freebies, on top of that.

No they aren't free as in "no strings attached" but they ARE an added benefit that I wasn't getting before.

End of the day, I log on each month and get extra shit that I wasn't before, for no extra cost. Ergo, FREE :D

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

Why does it bother you so much what other people spend their money on?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I'd be willing to pay the $50 for PS+ (and the $60 for the Xbox, but I'm not even considering getting an Xbox One ever, soo...) but then everything else can **** right off.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Thunderdrone

I didnt know MS gave you games even after expiration. I take back the MS mention, but stay by everything I said about PSN. Its a fucking scam with a laughably limited renting system to dress up the fact that they just want an extra source of income, with ZERO effort in justifying its existence.

@FinalFighters said:
@Thunderdrone said:

Why does it bother you so much what other people spend their money on?

I'm not bothered, I'm amused.

edit: I'm bothered that online is behind a paywall and that people paying for the service are keeping this shit model alive and well though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

This.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

It just won't be the same, if we don't crash the stream and the C.I.G. servers, it tradition :)

That's true as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

As many as make it worth my time and money.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

8 bucks a month for both ..... oh wow ! I´m going to get dirt poor for paying that ....

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I'm not willing to pay for any video game subscription. I can play online on the PC for free. Consoles with subscription fees are very unappealing to me.

This.