How many of the Uncharted games were great?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Excuse my avy and sig. Im just lazy. But

Is Uncharted 2, by itself, enough for Cows to establish Uncharted in the same league as Mario, Zelda and Halo?

Uncharted 1 was a series of frustratingly cheap shootouts and generic platforming. Uncharted 3 decided to recycle the same old story (Drake goes on a voyage, his girlfriend is kidnapped, the treasure is cursed, and the good guys win). And for some reason, a large chunk of the game is spent in generic COD-ish areas like military boats, deserts and a drab castle.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Uncharted 2 is an awesome game, 1 and 3 were good, haven't played the Vita one.

Good series but it's not on the level of Mario, nor even of Halo/Gears, but um... better than Killzone? :P

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Just UC2.

UC1 was always mediocre and UC3 sucked.

I haven't played the Vita one.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They didn't really do it for me

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

In my opinion U2 was great, U3 was good, and U1 was meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Imho all uncharted games were good but none were what I would call "great"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Just Uncharted 2, thats really it. Even then, the actual parts you play were just ok, nothing special.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

All of them and U2 is a top 5 GOAT as well as AAAE 9.0 Editors choice award winner.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

1 was good.

2 was great.

3 was absolute crap.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho

@Heil68 said:

All of them and U2 is a top 5 GOAT as well as AAAE 9.0 Editors choice award winner.

Stands proudly alongside Perfect Dark Zero with that honour, does that make the top 5 too? :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

TBH, Uncharted series is extremely overrated and over hyped by cows. It's just a cover based shooter like any other but with jaw dropping scripted events to keep you awake.

That said, I enjoyed Uncharted 2 a lot. Uncharted 3 was decent but it felt like inferior Expansion of second game. Uncharted 1 was mediocre.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

None. All of them are mediocre pasrkour simulator with terrible shooting mechanics. It's not even satisfying shooting the enemies because they really don't react to it until they die.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I do have to say that the first few chapters of Uncharted 3 were great, when it was focused on storytellings. But the game devolved fast into a generic shooter.

After chapter 3, does it do anything original? Throw in the jungle sequence to pay homage. Copy the truck chase from Uncharted 2 into the Caravan chapter. And the final chapters are basically a poor man's Shambala from Uncharted 2.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Uncharted 2 was a fantastic game. The other two were just okay. But I wouldn't put it among the Mario Galaxy games or best Zeldas. Halo trilogy as a whole is better than the Uncharted trilogy. But Uncharted 2 was better than any Halo game i'd say.

To be honest, I wouldn't even say it's Naughty Dogs best game. The Last Of Us was better. But I think I prefer Uncharted 2 due to it's themes. Sony don't really have franchises that are amaze balls because their first party are too hit and miss. Including Naughty Dog. They've had some fantastic first party games over the decades, but all from one of their random studios each time. None of their studios have consistently put out great games other than Team Ico, and they only done two games period. Even Naughty Dog have blundered with Jak 2 and 3, Uncharted 3 etc.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Uncharted 2 was amazing

Uncharted 1 was above average.

Uncharted 3 is the only one I didn't finish but I think it was because I got tired of it as I played 1 and 2 consecutively before 3. I'll finish 3 here real soon.

I do feel the series is slightly overrated though.

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

One was good, two was excellent, three wasn't as good as two, but wasn't as "bad" as people make it out to be and Golden Abyss was a cash grab.

So I would say Uncharted 2 and 3 were both great.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

UC1 was just an excuse to play something on my PS3.

UC2 was good.

UC3 was meh. Couldn't even complete it.

UC4 actually has me interested though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I only played one of them and it was Uncharted 2

Uncharted 2 is among the very worst experiences I've had from the 7th generation. It's just poorly designed in a lot of ways. Tons of missed opportunities and questionable decisions on Naughty Dog's part with this one. I find it hard not to criticize almost everything it does.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Uncharted 2 was a good game. It was not great. It was a fun ride but not an example par excellence of the action-adventure genre.

It's a game that is heavily overblown by almost everyone. It had almost nothing original in it, but what it did have was executed decently. The pacing was terrible (very much like "hiccups", not very smoothly blended, just big set piece action sequence, followed by middling gun fight, followed by highly predictable, highly boring "platforming" section).The set pieces were great, but much like a roller coaster, the ride comes to an end and you are left with a desire for more substance.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Can i vote none? I never played 3, but i tried 1 a long long time ago and didn't care to keep playing it. I went back with PSnow on my PS4 to try 2 which everyone said was the best and got bored as hell and stopped playing it. Nothing about the series is good for me

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

2 and 3 were good, but 2 was obviously the better of the two.

Both suck compared to TLOU.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

2 is the pinnacle, 3 is still a solid game, 1's a bit iffy, and GA is a tech demo padded out with hours of tedium and uncompelling narrative.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@locopatho said:
@Heil68 said:

Stands proudly alongside Perfect Dark Zero with that honour, does that make the top 5 too? :P

Sure. Top of the charts cant be argued.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Can i vote none? I never played 3, but i tried 1 a long long time ago and didn't care to keep playing it. I went back with PSnow on my PS4 to try 2 which everyone said was the best and got bored as hell and stopped playing it. Nothing about the series is good for me

@locopatho said:
@Heil68 said:

Did it really? lol PDZ was the perfect example of a "decent launch title"

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Basinboy said:

2 is the pinnacle, 3 is still a solid game, 1's a bit iffy, and GA is a tech demo padded out with hours of tedium and uncompelling narrative.

That's interesting. Like I've said before, I've only played Uncharted 2 out of the franchise, but that's exactly how I'd sum that game up. It was certainly padded with countless hours of tedium and the narrative fizzled out very early on.

Maybe I just have a very low tolerance for the kind of game Uncharted represents. To this date the only game of it's kind to receive any sort of praise from me is The Last of Us. It's the only game that made me think "you know, this kind of game could actually work. There's some merit to this".

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Excuse my avy and sig. Im just lazy. But

Is Uncharted 2, by itself, enough for Cows to establish Uncharted in the same league as Mario, Zelda and Halo?

Uncharted 1 was a series of frustratingly cheap shootouts and generic platforming. Uncharted 3 decided to recycle the same old story (Drake goes on a voyage, his girlfriend is kidnapped, the treasure is cursed, and the good guys win). And for some reason, a large chunk of the game is spent in generic COD-ish areas like military boats, deserts and a drab castle.

more than enough.

You sound like every single Mario or Zelda was awesome ... All franchises have ups and downs.

Uncharted 2/3 are great with countless of awards from both industry and gaming sites etc etc for a reason

And UC4 looks awesome as well.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 locopatho

@Pikminmaniac: You always repeat how awfully bad they are. They aren't. They simply aren't for you. I don't enjoy MMOs. I'm not gonna say WOW is shit, Guild Wars is shit, etc. They aren't, I just don't enjoy them. That's ok. It's ok you don't like linear controlled cinematic games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Uncharted 2 either really good or great, Uncharted 1 is a bad game, and 3 is average.

It still however doesn't hold a candle to some of the best third person shooters like Resident Evil 4 or the first 2 Max Payne games, it's not Naughty Dog's best work as The Last of Us is a better game overall, and when you throw in other action games or shooters (FPS games for instance) it goes even further down the totem poll.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

Uncharted 1 was decent enough for me try two which was epic. Three was a step back.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@Basinboy said:

Yeah, this for me, although I preferred the environments of UC3.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AzatiS

@locopatho said:

Good series but it's not on the level of Mario, nor even of Halo/Gears, but um... better than Killzone? :P

You must be joking ... A new IP came out of nowhere and won countless of awards and praise from the whole industry , friends and foes , and is not next to Gears or even Halo ? You saying that sales wise or what ?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#32 GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

Based on what I've heard Uncharted 1 was okay, Uncharted 2 was amazing and Uncharted 3 was good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

All I remember from Uncharted 1 is that enemies were bullet sponges.

2 was pretty cool.

3 was awful. Got about 2/3 through and quit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

UC2 was great, UC1 was good, but UC3 was pretty sucky. Overall the complete series is as overrated as the PS4 is

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By locopatho

@AzatiS said:
@locopatho said:

You must be joking ... A new IP came out of nowhere and won countless of awards and praise from the whole industry , friends and foes , and is not next to Gears or even Halo ? You saying that sales wise or what ?

Gears has 3 awesome games and 1 good spinoff. Halo has a whole series of awesome games + a couple good spinoffs.

Uncharted has 1 awesome game and 3 good ones (assuming the Vita one I haven't played is what reviews say it is)

No, Uncharted isn't on par with them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@locopatho said:

I'm not even a big fan of Uncharted but its definitely on the same level as a gears, if not above. At least the gameplay has some verticality to it and the games have their charm contrary to Gears wich is more of the typical broshooter. Wasnt it the 1st to implement a highly functional third person over-the-shoulder gameplay and the gears franchise would be put into oblivion

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho

@Vatusus said:
@locopatho said:

I'm not even a big fan of Uncharted but its definitely on the same level as a gears, if not above. At least the gameplay has some verticality to it and the games have their charm contrary to Gears wich is more of the typical broshooter. Wasnt it the 1st to implement a highly functional third person over-the-shoulder gameplay and the gears franchise would be put into oblivion

The first Gears was GOTY quality, the two Epic sequels were the same quality. (Judgement wasn't as good)

Only Uncharted 2 reaches that level of quality, and then only in single player. All three Gears destroy it in online, and they also have split screen deathmatch and co-op campaigns which Uncharted lacks.

I really enjoy both series, Uncharted as a series simply doesn't reach Gears heights though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@locopatho said:
@AzatiS said:

Gears has 3 awesome games and 1 good spinoff. Halo has a whole series of awesome games + a couple good spinoffs.

Uncharted has 1 awesome game and 3 good ones (assuming the Vita one I haven't played is what reviews say it is)

In the context that Halo's multiplayer is flat out more satisfying than most things Uncharted? Fair game, but I don't think a single one of those Halo campaigns is as consistent as Uncharted 2. Certainly not as good, admittedly in the case of Halo CE it's way more influential.

Gears is where this gets a bit more messy. It's got meatier mechanics and an inherently more satisfying multiplayer gameplay, but they sort of peaked early with Gears 1. Gears 2 added more enemy variety but got way more gimmicky with on rail segments and bullshit dom stuff, and 3 was more exhausting and run of the mill. And while the mp in 3 is legit, and 1 comes with its netcode issues, Gears 2 multiplayer is the devil may cry 2 of the franchise : >

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@locopatho said:
@Vatusus said:
@locopatho said:

The first Gears was GOTY quality, the two Epic sequels were the same quality. (Judgement wasn't as good)

Only Uncharted 2 reaches that level of quality, and then only in single player. All three Gears destroy it in online, and they also have split screen deathmatch and co-op campaigns which Uncharted lacks.

I really enjoy both series, Uncharted as a series simply doesn't reach Gears heights though.

I disagree. Beat Gears 1 on PC and played some of Gears 2 and 3. Never played Judgement. What I played was more of the bland 3rd person shooter with cover mechanics we've seen from all this generation. Gears 2 and 3 were just more of gears 1 with bigger spectacle but less substance. As I said, Gears was GOTY material because it was the 1st one to do it but if we're going to analize the game for what it is then its just as generic as the bunch. There is nothing "great" about it other then "look, we're the 1st"

For me Uncharted is a better series than Gears, and I'm saying this as a person who only enjoyed the games, not really a fan of them.

Now if we put Vanquish on the mix then both are pretty mediocre when compared to this masterpiece. Vanquish is the pinacle of TPS gameplay

EDIT: Btw, I'm only talking about SP, cause I'm not much of a MP kinda guy so I cant comment on that

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

All of the Uncharted Games are great. Uncharted 2 was the best. I liked the Co-op, I like the dynamic multilayer levels of Uncharted 3. Uncharted one of the best series in video games, deserves to put any console on the map. It might not be for some, but respect the series. Looking forward to Uncharted 4.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I loved all three of the major entries, the third was probably the weakest entry though

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Uncharted is game? Even Sony called it a movie in their ad campaign.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

UC2 was fun

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By locopatho

@jg4xchamp said:
@locopatho said:
@AzatiS said:

In the context that Halo's multiplayer is flat out more satisfying than most things Uncharted? Fair game, but I don't think a single one of those Halo campaigns is as consistent as Uncharted 2. Certainly not as good, admittedly in the case of Halo CE it's way more influential.

Gears is where this gets a bit more messy. It's got meatier mechanics and an inherently more satisfying multiplayer gameplay, but they sort of peaked early with Gears 1. Gears 2 added more enemy variety but got way more gimmicky with on rail segments and bullshit dom stuff, and 3 was more exhausting and run of the mill. And while the mp in 3 is legit, and 1 comes with its netcode issues, Gears 2 multiplayer is the devil may cry 2 of the franchise : >

Oh I'd take Uncharted 2's campaign over any Halo campaign, don't get me wrong. But then I'd take any Halo multiplayer over any Uncharted multiplayer. Plus Halo has the co-op, split screen death match (though not any more with 5, what the **** is that about?) map maker, etc. Purely talking as single player campaigns? I could see Uncharted being ranked as good or better than Halo. But the complete games? Nah.

I loved all three Gears campaigns. Admittedly I can do without their attempts at "plot" (weeping Dom and THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM!!!) but the gameplay and pacing? Soooo good in all of them, love that there are so many new weapons and enemies in each sequel. I played them all multiple times in both single and multi, and they are all fantastic. Only Uncharted 2's campaign can hang out with them, and again the top class multiplayer, co-op and split screen are all something Uncharted lacks. Gears 2 multi was incredible, whatcha you talkin' about? :P

Basically, certain Uncharted games are better than certain Halo and Gears games in certain ways.... but the entire series, Uncharted vs Halo OR Gears? Uncharted has to lose.

If we all want to suck Naughty Dog's cock just mention Last Of Us btw, I'd take that over any Xbox game ever made :3

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By locopatho

@Vatusus said:

more of the bland 3rd person shooter with cover mechanics we've seen from all this generation.

Those are the games that copied Gears, darling. Gears did it best.

Gears 2 and 3 were just more of gears 1 with bigger spectacle but less substance.

False, they added more weapons, enemies, mechanics and variety. Adding Horde mode wasn't substance? Tagging walls with grenades wasn't substance? Adding Kantus foes to add resurrection into the mix wasn't substance? They were textbook examples on how to make sequels. Also loved how they changed the atmosphere, Gears 1 = dark gory isolated horror, Gears 2 = bright larger scale military battles between large COG and Locust forces, Gears 3 = post apocalyptic chaos and desperation.

As I said, Gears was GOTY material because it was the 1st one to do it but if we're going to analize the game for what it is then its just as generic as the bunch.

No, in no way is it generic. It is darkly brutal world, with awesome enemies and incredibly satisfying shooting mechanics. It's a classic that could be enjoyed in 20 years, like Doom. Btw Gears wasn't the first at anything, it copied it's TPS mechanics from Resi 4 and and it's cover from Killswitch and other titles. It won GOTY cos it was (and is) an incredible game!

For me Uncharted is a better series than Gears, and I'm saying this as a person who only enjoyed the games, not really a fan of them.

Fair enough.

Now if we put Vanquish on the mix then both are pretty mediocre when compared to this masterpiece. Vanquish is the pinacle of TPS gameplay

Vanquish is awesome fun, a very worthy choice.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AzatiS

@locopatho said:
@AzatiS said:
@locopatho said:

The amount of games is the argument here or what those games achieved in total , in both sales / gaming experience along with anything related to it ( graphics / sound / design etc etc ) .... How is possible to say Gears is above Uncharted when uncharted has 1 less impressive title, the very first , but +100 awards or more overall ... Oh well ,your opinion

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#47 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

They are all great games with Uncharted 2 being amazing.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

None really, they were all pretty boring.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

if we are going by scores, then uc1 was good and uc 2, 3 were great.

There is no argument for ppls opinions here cuz everyone has different opinions. i think all 3 were really great games

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I only played Uncharted 3, but i didnt care much for it. I enjoyed Tomb Raider Reboot more than it. Its odd cause i bought Uncharted 3 after playing a demo of it. I played it in the store doing the fire scene at the beginning, i thought it was great, demo really impressed me, but i had hard time staying into the game, still havnt finished it, i probably never will. I have problems with games that keep you on rails, its one of the reasons i had a hard time getting into Max Payne 3, i loved Max Payne 3, but the whole time i just keep wishing they would let me go, let me be free, i felt like they kept rushing me.