How long do you think this gen is going to be?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

I think its going to be as long as last gen or maybe longer. There's been so many delays and the pace of exclusives being released has been slow but the multi platform games has been fine at least.

JJMarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 JJMarley
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

6 years at lthe very least

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

7-10 years

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I'm honestly hoping 4 more years at the most. With PC hardware making big jumps, 4K resolution and VR coming into the mix, these consoles cannot keep up. Last gen only lasted so long because of the Kinect and Move coming out in the middle of the life cycle.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

There shouldnt be new consoles till 2020. Even so... they will probably be really different from what eve consider traditional consoles

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GameboyTroy
@Nengo_Flow said:

There shouldnt be new consoles till 2020. Even so... they will probably be really different from what eve consider traditional consoles

I agree with next gen happening 2020 or later because it seems like the devs are sort of having a hard time making exclusive games especially this year. Who knows how the consoles will be like next gen.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

At least five years.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Why don't we just wait and see

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I get the feeling PS4 is gonna be another Sony console with a really long tail, even if they release another system in 2019. Japanese devs in particular take forever to transition to new consoles.

Wii U, on the other hand, will be the total opposite. I imagine it will be effectively dead by 2017 with no new games coming to it.

Xbox One figures to be somewhere in the middle. I can't imagine it lasting quite as long as the 360 did. Or rather I should say continues to last, since it's far from dead.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

2017 - next Nintendo console

2018 - next Xbox console

2019 - next PlayStation console

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@GameboyTroy: 4-5 years more and we gonna have new announcements

Hardware is way outdated as we speak .

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

anything over 4.6 and 5 years would be a mistake

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

It will end when the Nintendo phone comes out.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

nintendo late 2017 to 2018 SONY and MS 2019 probably.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It's going to be a long console cycle for sure. While developers wanted new technology, it's proven quite the hurdle for them to leap over.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I don't think it'll be as long as last gen...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Shortest and worst thought out gen we've ever had.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

If the Nintendo NX turns out to be a console set for release in 2017... then probably 5 years.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@jjmarley said:

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I got a bad feeling it's going to last just as long as last gen :/

I mean, both the Xbone and Ps4 are selling faster than the previous consoles, so why not?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

6 years total life cycle, 7 if they're lucky. The hardware is damn obsolete already with huge advances coming in GPU like 14nm, HBM, 4k, new game engines.

Even mobile gaming is catching up in terms of graphic fidelity.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@jjmarley said:

agreed. When it started people were saying 5 years. No, I think profit will rule gens now and make them last longer. All we're getting is graphics movement anyway, its not like gameplay has changed

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

I think we'll see a longer gen than pre-360/PS3 but a shorter gen than last.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

It will be a longer generation than the last.

Why are you all in such a hurry for this gen to end quicker? Whatever issues this gen has had, will be worse on newer hardware. All these dev cycles are bloated budget wise and taking longer than it used, that won't change with stronger hardware, if anything it will just add to it. Reality is this gen is going to continue to start slow, until things finally even out. The cycles changed up a bit, and it has to because the climate is different nowadays. Development costs are high, production in general, triple A has become more and more like hollywood, there is a bigger audience to capture with gaming, etc.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GameboyTroy
@AzatiS said:

@GameboyTroy: 4-5 years more and we gonna have new announcements

Hardware is way outdated as we speak .

Nintendo has to make a new console first in 2018 or 2019 before Sony and Microsoft make theirs in 2020. Comparing the consoles to the PC in power is just not fair. The PC will always have more power than the consoles.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

It's going to last no more than five years including the 15 months it's already been to market, the hardware is too weak and the software technology is spiking dramatically beyond the capabilities of the hardware already. It's not going to be a generation like the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, those were a generational abnormality when it comes to shelf longevity, it won't be happening this generation.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

8 years

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigboi500

@Chozofication said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I got a bad feeling it's going to last just as long as last gen :/

I mean, both the Xbone and Ps4 are selling faster than the previous consoles, so why not?

I think Microsoft will want to get past the Xbox One asap since they've had to deviate so far from their original intentions for the system, and Nintendo is working hard on the NX or whatever it's called. I think both of those companies will want to leap in to next gen much sooner than Sony, PS4 is the only console poised for longevity this gen imho.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

What makes you think they'll be rushing to bring in a new gen? I think it may be last gen *as we know it* - gaming's becoming too diversified in terms of platforms; high-end gaming no longer the commodity it once was and high budget games losing out in favour of low-cost production...... you can see the cracks beginning to appear >_>

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

PS4 is the only console poised for longevity this gen imho.

It's not that much more powerful man... You people really do not understand how miniscule the difference actually is...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bigboi500

@nyadc said:

@Bigboi500 said:

PS4 is the only console poised for longevity this gen imho.

It's not that much more powerful man... You people really do not understand how miniscule the difference actually is...

Never said that... but it is the gen leader by a large margin, and it'll have a ton of Japanese support over the next decade or so for games that aren't graphically demanding like Disgaea games for instance. Sony is gonna milk this gen for as much as they can get, and since they've lost a lot of money in the past I don't see them chomping at the bit to release a new system as long as they don't have to.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

New system note, I dunno about them being consoles as we know them today, launching 2020, the start of a new decade and it seems a nice even year for such a thing. :P

yanni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yanni1
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts

Another 4-5 years.

This will be one of the shortest gens for consoles. They are already incredibly weak. Anything longer will be embarrassing.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@poptart said:

What makes you think they'll be rushing to bring in a new gen? I think it may be last gen *as we know it* - gaming's becoming too diversified in terms of platforms; high-end gaming no longer the commodity it once was and high budget games losing out in favour of low-cost production...... you can see the cracks beginning to appear >_>

if low budget is doing so well how come consoles make up like 55% of gaming revenue? its the only game in town none is close mobile is all free games and core gamers an casuals love skyrim and big budget games just like a big budget movie

consoles are going nowhere until u can stream the games on high end internet

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@magicalclick said:

This indie Gen will last until people get sick of Indies.

That was last gen sir. XBLA Summer Of Arcade promotions, Xbox Indie Games. Awesome times.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@yanni1 said:

Another 4-5 years.

This will be one of the shortest gens for consoles. They are already incredibly weak. Anything longer will be embarrassing.

I am not even sure we are going to see a next gen of consoles as we know it.. There is a huge push in the industry in releasing more affordable, powerful pc's that are directly mimicing the console experience.. All while having the open platform and options of the pc..

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@GoldenElementXL said:

I'm honestly hoping 4 more years at the most. With PC hardware making big jumps, 4K resolution and VR coming into the mix, these consoles cannot keep up. Last gen only lasted so long because of the Kinect and Move coming out in the middle of the life cycle.

It doesn't matter if PC ends up doing 8k 120fps as standard, it will still be console ports for the rest of the gen. Sony aren't going to look at PC and say "oh the gap is too big, we have to make a new console". Most console owners don't care about PC gaming so sales aren't affected. And console games in the next 4 years are going to look slick as **** judging by what Quantum Break and Uncharted 4 are looking like. They are looking as good as any PC games right now.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

It doesn't matter if PC ends up doing 8k 120fps as standard, it will still be console ports for the rest of the gen. Sony aren't going to look at PC and say "oh the gap is too big, we have to make a new console". Most console owners don't care about PC gaming so sales aren't affected. And console games in the next 4 years are going to look slick as **** judging by what Quantum Break and Uncharted 4 are looking like. They are looking as good as any PC games right now.

Yeah for all the shite that PC gamers talk the games are going to be the same and the graphics on consoles look awesome, I can't see much difference between stuff running on my gaming PC and the same game on my roommates PS4.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I imagine by 2020. Maybe a bit longer than that.

As much as this generation has underperformed thus far, to think that ushering another generation of systems will somehow resolve the issue is a dumb thought.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

A very interesting question. On the one hand the current console technology is SERIOUSLY lagging behind pc tech - AND it would be damn near impossible to utilize decent vr. So maybe this gen could (and should?) be shorter.

But having said that, I actually suspect this gen will be the usual 7 - 8 years - because they're going to want to milk their precious exclusives for profit as much as possible.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

At least five years.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts
@bobrossperm said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@DarthRamms said:
@bobrossperm said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

As I said, the average buyer of these consoles couldn't give a ****. Even when 8k becomes standard.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@DarthRamms said:
@bobrossperm said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

As I said, the average buyer of these consoles couldn't give a ****. Even when 8k becomes standard.

They will when its comparing XB1 and PS4 lol

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm said:
@DarthRamms said:
@bobrossperm said:

Exactly! None of his shit matters when it's consoles vs PC, but when its Xbox One vs PS4 it makes all the difference in the world. The internet is a strange place.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

5 more years

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

5-6 years

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm said:
@DarthRamms said:
@bobrossperm said:

Exactly! None of his shit matters when it's consoles vs PC, but when its Xbox One vs PS4 it makes all the difference in the world. The internet is a strange place.

Not only that many don't know what 4k even looks like so they will downplay that as well