How long do you think this gen is going to be?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@nyadc: I don't think they outstayed there welcome yet but 3 to 4 more years is logical and all signs point to that being the case. I don't see how people can say 7 to 8 year's and know anything about how the industry works.

You will most likely see a new PS and Xbox system by 2018 at the latest.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@bobodeclown said:

@Heirren:

Obese doesn't equate to laziness. Mexico and Australia both have a larger percent of obese people than America as well.

It's easy to hate on the most successful country on the planet I suppose. Your comments though reek of jealousy.

Im American. Dont we owe people money? Obesity is lazy.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

At least 7 more years with this awesome current gen hardware.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#104 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Too long.

"Gens" need to die. Console manufacturers should be putting out new hardware yearly and game devs choose which versions to support. The idea of stagnant hardware every 5-10 years is just terrible. Not all games need super amounts of power to run. Not every game needs to be a graphical showcase. Games can also have multiple levels of rendering based on hardware specs. There is no way there can't be new consoles yearly. Devs and consumers are just too stuck in their ways.

The mobile market has adapted perfectly. Software comes out that supports a minimum level of hardware based on what that software is doing. Sometimes apps come out that don't support 3+ year old phones. That's just how they are made. If you want to use that software you need the hardware for it. Devs aren't bending over in every situation if they feel they do not need to support that old hardware to make sales and a profit.

There is no reason why gaming can't be the same. A CoD game could support 3-4 year old consoles and everything since without problem. There is nothing forcing them to take full advantage of the brand new hardware. Each year they could just bump the minimum requirements by a single year. It would still cover a few years of hardware but they would also be able to safely increase the graphical fidelity.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@nyadc: I don't think they outstayed there welcome yet but 3 to 4 more years is logical and all signs point to that being the case. I don't see how people can say 7 to 8 year's and know anything about how the industry works.

You will most likely see a new PS and Xbox system by 2018 at the latest.

What would be the point, the hardware wouldn't show significant improvements for how much consoles sell in that time (the $350 consumer budget). Look at the weak ass hardware we got in the current gen after last gens 8 years. Don't know about you, but I was expecting more. Also, it's taking about two years for this gen just to get started. Do you really think there'll only be a few more years before they start again. Especially since the current gen consoles are selling well.

Plus I can't speak for other console gamers, but if you want to dish out $350 every 4 or so years, be my guest.

Console gamers would be fools to dish out and want to start again so soon.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

It's not length that matters - it's girth that matters.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#108 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Hopefully 10 years minimum. I'm still on last Gen since I don't see any reason to upgrade.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#109 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts
@Wasdie said:

Too long.

"Gens" need to die. Console manufacturers should be putting out new hardware yearly and game devs choose which versions to support. The idea of stagnant hardware every 5-10 years is just terrible. Not all games need super amounts of power to run. Not every game needs to be a graphical showcase. Games can also have multiple levels of rendering based on hardware specs. There is no way there can't be new consoles yearly. Devs and consumers are just too stuck in their ways.

The mobile market has adapted perfectly. Software comes out that supports a minimum level of hardware based on what that software is doing. Sometimes apps come out that don't support 3+ year old phones. That's just how they are made. If you want to use that software you need the hardware for it. Devs aren't bending over in every situation if they feel they do not need to support that old hardware to make sales and a profit.

There is no reason why gaming can't be the same. A CoD game could support 3-4 year old consoles and everything since without problem. There is nothing forcing them to take full advantage of the brand new hardware. Each year they could just bump the minimum requirements by a single year. It would still cover a few years of hardware but they would also be able to safely increase the graphical fidelity.

I wouldn't be able to keep up with it if the console makers made hardware yearly. I would skip it every 2 or 3 years. Nintendo has a chance to break that trend by releasing a new proper console around 2018 if that makes you glad.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Wasdie  Moderator

@GameboyTroy: That's the point. You don't need the hardware every year. However this flexibility gives devs the ability to choose the ranges of hardware to support rather than having to support 8+ year old devices.

I would expect most devs to support the past 2-3 years of consoles for the big games while indie games and less demanding games can support 5+. This effectivly kill 5+ year gens and reduces the stagnation of hardware that plague console gaming.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts
@Wasdie said:

@GameboyTroy: That's the point. You don't need the hardware every year. However this flexibility gives devs the ability to choose the ranges of hardware to support rather than having to support 8+ year old devices.

I would expect most devs to support the past 2-3 years of consoles for the big games while indie games and less demanding games can support 5+. This effectivly kill 5+ year gens and reduces the stagnation of hardware that plague console gaming.

The devs are kind of having a hard time having a budget to make games with and the amount of time it takes to make them. I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep up with new consoles being made every year. Especially the ones that take 2 to 5 years to make games. We'll just have to wait and see if that actually happens. This isn't mobile phone gaming, this is console gaming.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Wasdie  Moderator

@GameboyTroy: Since the consoles went to x86 and much more modern graphic APIs that all mimics DirectX, supporting the latest hardware isn't all that difficult. PC devs support the latest hardware all of the time, even if their game has been in development for several year. No reason console devs can't do the same. It would be on Sony and Microsoft to make sure each new console follows the same API and coding conventions of their last. No more changing the CPU to something radical and rewriting the graphic API.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Too long.

Been thinking this for a while now especially with x86 being the standard. It works for all parties involved

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

As soon as Nintendo releases NX I'm betting that MS and Sony will follow shortly after. At least this time both should offer Backwards Compatibility this time. At least assuming they release physical consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
deactivated-57de35bf0f08e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#115 deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
Member since 2014 • 386 Posts

I don't think it'll last as long as gen 7 did, or is since it's still going.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#116 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

For Xbox One, not that long seeing this trend weekly. The PS4 will last at least 7-8 years.