how is Qore a "bad thing"?..

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8068 Posts

looking at these forums, you'd swear that Sony did the gaming community a disservice by introducing Qore... for those of you that dont know Qore is a monthly high-definition podcast of news, developer interviews, in-depth game previews, and behind-the-scenes looks at PlayStation games.. also with a Qore subscription you get special access to game demos, beta invitations, game add-ons, and other downloadable game-related content

not suprisingly tho, lemmings are crying foul on this new service for no real reason.. so lets clear a few things up:

"bu bu but you now have to pay 4 teh demoz!!1!"..

no.. demos, trailers, themes, and etc are all still available for free via the normal PS Store.. Qore subscribers simply get "special access" to demos and etc.. this "special access" is no different than how XBL Gold members get access to demos and etc before XBL Silver members get access to them.. the first example of this is the Socom: Confrontation theme which is currently only accessable via a Qore subscription.. it's pretty obvious that this theme will eventually be available in the genereal PS Store at some point; probably next month once the new Qore episode is released..

"bu bu but who wants to pay for previewz?!.. that's stuffz free on the interweb!!1!"

the people who want to pay for Qore are the same people who subscribe to monthly mags like OXM and OPM.. the people who have paid memberships to Gamespot.. these are the people who want that "premium" content and are willing to pay a little extra for it.. once again, Qore is just an option.. just as in the same way that you can still enjoy Gamespot without being a paying member, you can still enjoy free online multiplayer, free downloads in the PS Store, and PSN in general without ever paying for a single month of Qore.. Qore is simply "extra content".. for those that say that PSN doesnt have enough content at the moment, well Qore is your step in the right direction...

"bu bu but yo have to pay $3 for beta access?!.. betas should be free!!211!"..

firstly, lets not kid ourselves into thinking that there's going to be a beta available every month.. the Socom: Confrontation beta access is just a way for people to get buzzed about Qore.. the next beta i can forsee coming is maybe another Home beta, but beyond that who knows.. Qore simply ensures you a spot in the beta if you so desire.. there's obviously other free ways to gain entry into a beta, so Qore isnt "needed" for this.. gaining beta access via Qore is a convenience.. nothing more, nothing less..

and let's not act like this is the first time beta access has been used to promote a product.. anybody remember the Halo 3 beta that was pushed via Crackdown?.. ;).. but this is just $2.99 versus the $59.99 some people paid to be in that beta...

"bu but PSN will nevar be able to touch XBL!!1!.. Qore wont helpz joo!1!!"..

the bottomline is that PSN offers what nearly any average online gamer would want.. free online mulitplayer with the basics of a unified buddylist, messaging, and downloads.. most people wouldnt really ask for much more.. but beyond that, you have the in-game XMB which will be a huge step toward competing with XBL.. you have Home which brings a unique approach to bringing "community" to console gaming.. and now you have Qore.. it'll provide that extra content some people have been asking for and since it is a "paid service", Sony will have the leverage to get new content to PSN users just as fast as the paid subscribers of XBL Gold... the revenue that will be generated from Qore and from the optionial microtrasactions in Home will help PSN be truly competitive with a paid service like XBL Gold.. all without making people pay for the most important feature: the online multiplayer....

Qore is extra.. and it's optional.. so what's to complain about?...

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

its completely hypocritical is why.

so why is xbl a bad thing if qqore is a good thing?

u know what qqore rhymes with? lol.....cows

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Qore is an online magazine of sorts which is an optional purchase and has no impact on online play or any other thing. PSN is still free.
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

LibertySaint

No one said XBL was a bad thing...The fact you have to pay to play online is a bad thing.

Now how is Qore a bad thign???

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
.. anybody remember the Halo 3 beta that was pushed via Crackdown?.. ;).. but this is just $2.99 versus the $59.99 some people paid to be in that beta..Antwan3K
Difference being that when you payed $60 you still got Crackdown along with the H3 beta. And btw, I got my Halo 3 beta for free, along with everyone else who was smart to participate in the free sign ups before it.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It is a bad thing simply because it is on the PS3. The fact that it is on the PS3 is what automatically makes it a bad, no, TERRIBLE thing.
PRKiNG45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PRKiNG45
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

eh, $25 a year is nothing. People pay $60 for unfinished games and pay extra for the game to be completed through DLC. People pay $50 a year to play games online.

If it so happens that Qore provides me nothing, oh well. I'm not going to go bankrupt because I subscribed to Qore. If it gives me special access to betas and other stuff, then it's all good.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I think Qore charging you for a beta can be a bad thing. I mean what if other games with betas start charging you for the betas. Betas should always be free no matter what. You're helping these devs find bugs and such in these betas and that's why they should be free because you're doing their job for them.

I hope nobody subscribe to Qore and we'll see a price drop or they'll even probably make it free. Just look at Haze, nobody bought it, and the price dropped in mere weeks. Power to the people!

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

People think all of the regular demos and betas and other good free content will be put there.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LibertySaint
Qore is an online magazine of sorts which is an optional purchase and has no impact on online play or any other thing. PSN is still free.EVOLV3
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

f50p90

No one said XBL was a bad thing...The fact you have to pay to play online is a bad thing.

Now how is Qore a bad thign???

i never said it was, i just wanted someone to say xbl wasn't a bad thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

LibertySaint
souldnt qore be comperd to the ofical ps magazine not xbl :roll:
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Antwan3K

LibertySaint

the reason some people think XBL Gold is "bad" is because it makes you pay for a core gaming function.. the online multiplayer...

you buy a game for $60.. let's say this game is Halo 3.. sure there's a single player mode.. but a large reason the game received it's ratings is for it's online elements.. you want to play?.. well pay a monthly or yearly fee first... :|

it's like having to pay extra in order to access a piece of the product you already bought.. in many people's eye's, it's almost as bad as when you had to buy the Xbox remote control in order to "unlock" the Xbox's DVD playback.. it just doesnt make sense..

XBL is a better service since it is indeed a "paid service".. no doubt.. but the main reason why they have so many subscribers is simply because you must subscribe in order to fully play your game....

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
It should be free and the stuff would normally be released on the PSN, but now its a reason to charge people? I dont like the idea personally and wont be participating in it. Betas should be free or available through reserving a game. Cows have bashed 360 users for paying for live and how they get stuff a week later if they subscribe to live and now Cows are paying for stuff they were getting free a week ago. Just my stance on the subject.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LibertySaint
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

toast_burner

xbl has an online mag that has demos, videos and everything as well as the marketplace and everything else.
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReverseCycology

Here's the difference with Qore and a real gaming magazine. You can put away your gaming magazine and put them in your magazine collection and you can always go back to them and read them or look at the pictures again anytime. What about Qore, how long will these videos and content stay in the service? Plus all these information coming from Qore will be downloaded to your hard drive, just another way to use up your hard drive with a quickness. Atleast with a real magazine you can recycle them and it helps out with nature.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Antwan3K
[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

LibertySaint

xbl has an online mag that has demos, videos and everything as well as the marketplace and everything else.

and what do you think is financing that, sir?.. obviously is the $50 a year subscriptions that microsoft is getting from over 10 million subscribers...

that's over $500 million a year in XBL Gold subscriptions.. hell yes, XBL's online mag shouldnt cost you any extra....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

LibertySaint

i dont think you know what your talking about
PRKiNG45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PRKiNG45
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"][QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

Antwan3K

and what do you think is financing that, sir?.. obviously is the $50 a year subscriptions that microsoft is getting from over 10 million subscribers...

that's over $500 million a year in XBL Gold subscriptions.. hell yes, XBL's online mag shouldnt cost you any extra....

Lollercakes.

What do you mean $50 a year? You mean 14 cents a day!

/idiotic fanboyism

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Antwan3K

Here's the difference with Qore and a real gaming magazine. You can put away your gaming magazine and put them in your magazine collection and you can always go back to them and read them or look at the pictures again anytime. What about Qore, how long will these videos and content stay in the service? Plus all these information coming from Qore will be downloaded to your hard drive, just another way to use up your hard drive with a quickness. Atleast with a real magazine you can recycle them and it helps out with nature.

ReverseCycology

Qore downloads will be saved to the PSN network just as any other download you purchased is saved and you can re-download it at any time if you choose to erase it...

other than that, you can probably back them up on an external HDD.. i got a 500gb external USB HDD for cheap and that's where i would store them if i wanted to keep a "collection"... havent tried it though.. and probably wont since i can just redownload specific episodes as i see fit....

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReverseCycology
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

Antwan3K

Qore downloads will be saved to the PSN network just as any other download you purchased is saved and you can re-download it at any time if you choose to erase it...

other than that, you can probably back them up on an external HDD.. i got a 500gb external USB HDD for cheap and that's where i would store them if i wanted to keep a "collection"... havent tried it though.. and probably wont since i can just redownload specific episodes as i see fit....

Hey do you have a Calvary brand HDD?

Avatar image for hiphop_quotable
hiphop_quotable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hiphop_quotable
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

Antwan3K

the reason some people think XBL Gold is "bad" is because it makes you pay for a core gaming function.. the online multiplayer...

you buy a game for $60.. let's say this game is Halo 3.. sure there's a single player mode.. but a large reason the game received it's ratings is for it's online elements.. you want to play?.. well pay a monthly or yearly fee first... :|

it's like having to pay extra in order to access a piece of the product you already bought.. in many people's eye's, it's almost as bad as when you had to buy the Xbox remote control in order to "unlock" the Xbox's DVD playback.. it just doesnt make sense..

XBL is a better service since it is indeed a "paid service".. no doubt.. but the main reason why they have so many subscribers is simply because you must subscribe in order to fully play your game....

/thread

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Antwan3K
[QUOTE="Antwan3K"][QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

ReverseCycology

Hey do you have a Calvary brand HDD?

naw, not that brand.. not home right now and cant think of it off the top of my head..

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts

People think all of the regular demos and betas and other good free content will be put there.

Nike_Air

people think of all the demos and other good free content that regular folks like us (who ain't payin' a dime for no damn qore, core, cuore, whatever the f it is) would be deprived of. Stuff we used to get for free, pre-qore....

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

tok1879

people think of all the demos and other good free content that regular folks like us (who ain't payin' a dime for no damn qore, core, cuore, whatever the f it is) would be deprived of. Stuff we used to get for free, pre-qore....

Neato ...... do you really feel deprived of the content that they had in the first issue ?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Antwan3K
[QUOTE="tok1879"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Nike_Air

Neato ...... do you really feel deprived of the content that they had in the first issue ?

exactly...

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

I think Qore charging you for a beta can be a bad thing. I mean what if other games with betas start charging you for the betas. Betas should always be free no matter what. You're helping these devs find bugs and such in these betas and that's why they should be free because you're doing their job for them.

ReverseCycology

You aren't paying for a beta. Betas are not going to be on the service every single month. More than likely a Home beta and Agency beta will eventually be released.

You pay for the subscription and they give you instant access to betas as opposed to having to sign up for free others ways without any promise of getting in.

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
[QUOTE="tok1879"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Nike_Air

nope, not yet, but they gotta start somewhere, right??

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Well there's the obvious hypocritical nature of fanboys. Ther 360'ers are tired of hearing how they're the only ones paying for online content, especially all those "lol now you have to pay for demos" threads around the time it was announced XBL Gold accounts would have access to content before Silver accounts. So now that PS3 owners are being charged for what was (essentially) free, the 360 fanboys are going to town.

The other is that Qore sets a precedent. Right now it might not be a big deal, but you never know what Sony could add to the service later on. Maybe there will be Qore-only areas in Home, or Qore users will get exclusive access to some in-game content. Obviously this is just speculation, but if you were looking for a conspiracy you could argue that Qore is the precursor for a subscription-based service a la XBL.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Great points.

Qore is a cool optional feature. Plain and simple.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

[QUOTE="Antwan3K"].. anybody remember the Halo 3 beta that was pushed via Crackdown?.. ;).. but this is just $2.99 versus the $59.99 some people paid to be in that beta..II-FBIsniper-II
Difference being that when you payed $60 you still got Crackdown along with the H3 beta. And btw, I got my Halo 3 beta for free, along with everyone else who was smart to participate in the free sign ups before it.

And after that, all you had to do is rent it from BB to get into the Halo 3 beta like I did :).

But still Qore is not a bad thing at all. It's a nice optional feature. I pay for GI every year, so I might pay for Qore.

Soda-Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Soda-Jack
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts

It's hilarious imo. Where are all the people subscribing to this qore garbage, but cried about paying for XBL? The content equivalent of Qore on XBL is completely free.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

It isn't neccessarily a bad thing, but it is mediocre. And putting all those ads in it is dumb.I think people defending it should buy it first. I'll give it some time and get the first few "issues" but so far I'm not impressed.

Secondly, there's this thing: it does something that cows ripped the lemmings for: Charges for advance access to beta's and demos.Now if the advance demos turn out to be exclusive demos, I think that's terrible.

Third: They already screwed the beta access up because people who didn't buy Qore will have access to the Socom beta first.

Fourth. Playstation Underground offered access to betas and demos for free.

Fifth. GET RID OF THE FRACKING ADS. Granted you only have to watch them once, but you have to watch them. I've already paid for this crap and I don't need intrusive ads messing up my experience. LAME.

Qore better step it up. To be fair, this is only the first issue. I'll keep checking in on it for now. But it's a pretty lackluster effort ATM.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 heretrix

Great points.

Qore is a cool optional feature. Plain and simple.

TREAL_Since
Qore isn't a feature at all. It's DLC. It is not part of PSN or the PS3 OS. it's just content.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

LibertySaint

How about that Qqore is optional and XBL is mandatory for online gaming?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heretrix
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

Wasdie

What does that have to do with anything? What does online gaming have to do with Qore? Especially since Qore isn't part of PSN?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

heretrix

What does that have to do with anything? What does online gaming have to do with Qore? Especially since Qore isn't part of PSN?

Even further proves my point. You don't need to pay to play online with PSN and you do have to with XBL.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

Wasdie

Even further proves my point. You don't need to pay to play online with PSN and you do have to with XBL.

You didn't answer my question.It's not like you enlightening anybody with that information. Qore isn't part of PSN, why are you comparing it to XBL?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix

Well there's the obvious hypocritical nature of fanboys. Ther 360'ers are tired of hearing how they're the only ones paying for online content, especially all those "lol now you have to pay for demos" threads around the time it was announced XBL Gold accounts would have access to content before Silver accounts. So now that PS3 owners are being charged for what was (essentially) free, the 360 fanboys are going to town.

The other is that Qore sets a precedent. Right now it might not be a big deal, but you never know what Sony could add to the service later on. Maybe there will be Qore-only areas in Home, or Qore users will get exclusive access to some in-game content. Obviously this is just speculation, but if you were looking for a conspiracy you could argue that Qore is the precursor for a subscription-based service a la XBL.

PBSnipes

It seems like you are the only one the understands the "problem". I see a lot of people making up arguments that have no real bearing on the subject at hand:

Although Qore is not a service, it's function does EXACTLY what lemmings were once criticized for: Paying for advance access to demos, much like XBL gold users getting demos one or two weeks eariler than the silver users...

THIS IS NOT ABOUT PSN vs XBL, or whether or not online gaming should be free or not. I really wish people would stop dodging the issue and trying to make it that.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

Qore is extra and is part of the media that the PSN offers.

So i see Qore as a good thing. While PSN offers free online, you get to manage ur demos, previews, articles etc and updated.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"]

Antwan3K

Logical post i have seen in a while.

Agreed!

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts

Omg some of you are just clueless. You can still get into the special beta's without Qore. Qore just gives you that guarenteed seat. The Socom Confrontation beta entries will be offered in other ways besides through Qore.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I'm sorry but paying for beta access is lame no matter how much you want to spin things. beta is a testing phase so that they can find out what's wrong with the game before it's launched. being a free tester is one thing. paying for the "privilege" to help them test is another. it's like an internship where you have to pay the company for the "privilege" of interning with them.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

when cows stop saying that 50 dollars a year gets us every thing they will get with Qore and more much much more is a bad thing.

then we will stop saying qore is a rip off.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nike_Air

I'm sorry but paying for beta access is lame no matter how much you want to spin things. beta is a testing phase so that they can find out what's wrong with the game before it's launched. being a free tester is one thing. paying for the "privilege" to help them test is another. it's like an internship where you have to pay the company for the "privilege" of interning with them.Ontain
They are offering more than the beta though (they're offering Qore) , and people will be able to get into that beta through other traditional methods. (pre-ordering , applying , being members of exclusive clubs , etc).

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nike_Air

when cows stop saying that 50 dollars a year gets us every thing they will get with Qore and more much much more is a bad thing.

then we will stop saying qore is a rip off.

WilliamRLBaker

You can say that it is a ripoff for the content provided for the price and that is fine , but lets not compare Qore to what the $50 XBL fee is for. Most of us here want to play games online , and I suspect that most of us with internet connections don't need to have what Qore offers.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heretrix

[QUOTE="Ontain"]I'm sorry but paying for beta access is lame no matter how much you want to spin things. beta is a testing phase so that they can find out what's wrong with the game before it's launched. being a free tester is one thing. paying for the "privilege" to help them test is another. it's like an internship where you have to pay the company for the "privilege" of interning with them.Nike_Air

They are offering more than the beta though (they're offering Qore) , and people will be able to get into that beta through other traditional methods. (pre-ordering , applying , being members of exclusive clubs , etc).

Nike the content in that first issue was not worthy of a charge. I bought it and there really isn't much there.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]I'm sorry but paying for beta access is lame no matter how much you want to spin things. beta is a testing phase so that they can find out what's wrong with the game before it's launched. being a free tester is one thing. paying for the "privilege" to help them test is another. it's like an internship where you have to pay the company for the "privilege" of interning with them.heretrix

Nike the content in that first issue was not worthy of a charge. I bought it and there really isn't much there.

That is your right , you can have that opinion.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]I'm sorry but paying for beta access is lame no matter how much you want to spin things. beta is a testing phase so that they can find out what's wrong with the game before it's launched. being a free tester is one thing. paying for the "privilege" to help them test is another. it's like an internship where you have to pay the company for the "privilege" of interning with them.Nike_Air

That is your right , you can have that opinion.

How dare you!

;)

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

As its COMPLETELY optional, I don't see how anyone can complain about it...

I mean its not like Sony are pushing for people to pay for online, its like an interactive magazine...

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
I don't see how Qore is bad. It's not like you have to buy it to play online. All it is is like a monthly magazine. It has game previews, interviews, themes, demos, betas and stuff. Thanks to it, I'm now in the SOCOM beta.