How did Mass Effect win best Original Score?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#51 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
mass effect had a cool technological sound to it...i dont see how it COULDNT have won
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#52 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".
Avatar image for OldSkoolGamer04
OldSkoolGamer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 OldSkoolGamer04
Member since 2004 • 1616 Posts

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.OneShot112
i love the music when youre in the galaxy map, one of the greatest scifi music ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-19bl4_SDfI
For anyone who hasn't heard it

This reminds me somewhat of the music from Star Junk Galaxy in SMG. I have to say I like Star Junk better.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts

The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".FrozenLiquid

Have you listened to dread intrusion? 2:36 onwards... love how they mixed the mombasa suite with the sacred icon suite from halo 2.

MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
Bioshock should have won best Original score and GOTY. W/E its only one sites opinion, ME is an amazing game so I dont really care.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
There is barely any different music tracks in Mass Effect. :? How did it win that?
astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 astiop

The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".FrozenLiquid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NQoY8gfVRfI

...might as well :P

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 astiop

There is barely any different music tracks in Mass Effect. :? How did it win that?Cedmln

38 tracks on the ost and it's missing one...

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".astiop

Avery is such a bada**...I just started reading Contact: Harvest...great novel, especially considering this is Staten's first...

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".astiop

Have you listened to dread intrusion? 2:36 onwards... love how they mixed the mombasa suite with the sacred icon suite from halo 2.

Yep, I did like that too. I also liked that track when the Gravemind backstabs the Chief and Arbiter after Prophet dies. Was just such a cool percussion track. Oh, and thanks for linking the cutscene. The end of Floodgate/The Ark is some of the most inspired and fantastic cutscenes I've ever seen in a game.
astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 astiop
[QUOTE="astiop"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The beginning of this track is sooo badass. It's Halo 3, not ME sorry guys lmao. Just thought I'd put this out there. Farthest Outpost Even more kickass when you see the cutscene that goes with it. "Pop the hatch".wolverine4262

Avery is such a bada**...I just started reading Contact: Harvest...great novel, especially considering this is Staten's first...

Ive only read fall of reach :( When does the novel you mentioned take place?

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Well, I can see why it would win, but i personally feel Halo's soundtrack is more epic.

On the other hand, Halo has its highs and lows, while the Mass Effect OST is consistently good.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="astiop"]

Ive only read fall of reach :( When does the novel you mentioned take place?

First contact w/ covenant... year is...2525? Bungie loves their 7's... I think thats like 30 years before halo. You really should read the other eric nylund (sp?). dont read the flood, unless you'd like a deeper understanding of how the flood works. First Strike and ghosts of onyx are great... they all should be made into games... Id like to see some kind of squad based game come from them...
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
mass effect had some bad music...NOTHING special at all
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

mass effect had some bad music...NOTHING special at allblazinpuertoroc

are you kidding? i found mass effect's soundtrack very amazing

PapaJohn24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#66 PapaJohn24
Member since 2005 • 871 Posts
Mass Effect had an amazing score. The music was brilliant. Maybe you didn't get to Ilos? That would answer your question right there. And on another note, while SMG's score is catchy, it's not in the same league as Mass Effect's or Halo 3's. I will throw it out there that in the sense of production values, Halo 3 has the best soundtrack. It is definately the most memorable and overpowering. Not to mention it's completely professional. If someone heard it, they would have a hard time guessing it was from a game.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 Willy105  Online
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

I value catchyness over production values.

What's the point of music if you can't even remember it?

That is is why for me SMG music > Mass Effect music.

Both good, but you can only remember SMG's music at the end of the day.

s14joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 s14joe
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.ICollegeStudent
i love the music when youre in the galaxy map, one of the greatest scifi music ever.

I totally agree with you. The music adds so much to the atmoshpere it's great.I'm am also a huge fan of Metroids music as well.

Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECcDavzJGzU

This one was pretty depressing when you first hear it...Its also in the sex scenes too

[spoiler] It plays just after you had to choose Kaidan or Williams,who had to stay near the bomb to assure that it detonated on Virmir and not defused. I chose Kaidan because I hated that guy... [/spoiler]

nazrulhaique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nazrulhaique
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
The reason why halo 3 didn't win is bcuz they use the same song from halo 1 and 2.They only remix it. Mass effect deserve to win the award.I love the wreckage song,so epic.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="nazrulhaique"]The reason why halo 3 didn't win is bcuz they use the same song from halo 1 and 2.They only remix it. Mass effect deserve to win the award.I love the wreckage song,so epic.

That's what I'm thinking too. However, Return of the King won best score at the Oscars, and it's pretty much a remix of the other two films. I can understand the award going to the new and fantastic, but Halo 3 was just the peak of Halo's music.
Avatar image for Mutatedbloodelf
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 Mutatedbloodelf
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 FrozenLiquid

Willy105
Mass Effect is pretty darn memorable. Especially the music at the title screen.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FrozenLiquid
I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf
Then you don't know Halo's music. Either that, or you don't have an ear for subtlety.
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Mutatedbloodelf
[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.FrozenLiquid
Then you don't know Halo's music. Either that, or you don't have an ear for subtlety.

I probably don't I preferred hearing Mastodon and The Mars Volta instead of hearing retarted alien children scream and hearing those idiot marines awful dialogue plus they only played music like once per level anyways.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts

[QUOTE="OneShot112"][QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.OldSkoolGamer04

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-19bl4_SDfI
For anyone who hasn't heard it

This reminds me somewhat of the music from Star Junk Galaxy in SMG. I have to say I like Star Junk better.

"The Thorian" is awsome too, but my favorite has to be "Vigil" -- very soothing and mysterious music that just blows my mind.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf

I probably don't I preferred hearing Mastodon and The Mars Volta instead of hearing retarted alien children scream and hearing those idiot marines awful dialogue plus they only played music like once per level anyways.

No, you really don't have an ear for sound in general. What you were describing there was dialogue instead of the musical score. Good job.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TMontana1004

I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf

The most epic tracks are always played at the right time. Three Gates makes the level "The Covenant" feel so damn badass at the start.

Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Mutatedbloodelf
[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.FrozenLiquid

No, you really don't have an ear for sound in general. What you were describing there was dialogue instead of the musical score. Good job.

What musical score there was like three songs in the entire game.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TMontana1004

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf

Really? I heard at least 20 songs on the soundtrack. You obviously do not pay attention.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf

Um..... Wow. I think you should really go play Halo 3 again.
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Mutatedbloodelf

[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.TMontana1004

Really? I heard at least 20 songs on the soundtrack. You obviously do not pay attention.

No I play my personal collection of albums if I play Halo 3.
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Mutatedbloodelf
[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.FrozenLiquid

Never again! Not after playing Mass Effect and Portal! I will never play crap again!
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FrozenLiquid
Never again! Not after playing Mass Effect and Portal! I will never play crap again!Mutatedbloodelf
Yeah alright. Just make sure you don't listen to Iron Tusk whilst playing either of those two games. Won't work that way.
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Mutatedbloodelf
[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]Never again! Not after playing Mass Effect and Portal! I will never play crap again!FrozenLiquid
Yeah alright. Just make sure you don't listen to Iron Tusk whilst playing either of those two games. Won't work that way.

Thats true.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TMontana1004
[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]

[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.Mutatedbloodelf

And that is why you think that Halo 3 has crap music.

/battle

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Witcher should have won.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ioZy6nUcHk

the only reason why it wasn't even nominated(in music and in many other categories especialy story and character) I can think off is that majority of Gamespot editors didn't spend any time with the game

Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Mutatedbloodelf

And that is why you think that Halo 3 has crap music.

/battle

That really cuts deep man.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Mutatedbloodelf"]I don't really like the music in Halo it just sounds like a lot of drum stuff and that anthem repeated a lot.FrozenLiquid

He is partialy right though. Halo has one good theme and that;s it. thje rest of the music is fiting the game, but nothing you would later hum to yourself. Halo theme is the only good theme on all three Halo OSTs. And the best tracks are always some variations of Halo theme. Marty did much more varied music in Myth 1-2 to be honest.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FrozenLiquid

He is partialy right though. Halo has one good theme and that;s it. thje rest of the music is fiting the game, but nothing you would later hum to yourself. Halo theme is the only good theme on all three Halo OSTs. And the best tracks are always some variations of Halo theme. Marty did much more varied music in Myth 1-2 to be honest.

AdrianWerner
No, he's not partially right. Unforgotten, Brothers in Arms, Under Cover of Night, and Earth City Each of those are easily identifiable and unique in Halo's repetoire. And perhaps you may need to know a thing about OSTs -- usually the songs do have a variation of the main theme. If that was a shortcoming then maybe you should go tell Howard Shore to give those Oscars back because he certainly didn't deserve that for what he did in Return of the King.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

FrozenLiquid

No, he's not partially right. Unforgotten, Brothers in Arms, Under Cover of Night, and Earth City Each of those are easily identifiable and unique in Halo's repetoire. And perhaps you may need to know a thing about OSTs -- usually the songs do have a variation of the main theme. If that was a shortcoming then maybe you should go tell Howard Shore to give those Oscars back because he certainly didn't deserve that for what he did in Return of the King.

Neither of those was particulary good or memorable. Aren't you sure your warm memories of the scenes from the games those music acompanied aren't affecting your judgement"

And yes...in most OSTs the theme repeats. But in most good scores there are couple good themes that repeat. Halo has one.

And second...I never liked that too much. I prefer varied soundtracks with numerous good themes. I hate Horner's syndrome (one theme, repeat over whole album, then modify and use it in next movie). And that;s exacly what Halo does.

And that's the reason why to me Conan: the Barbarian stll has the best movie soundtrack ever written, not only because it has powerful themes, but it's simply filled with them with bassicaly no repetition. On the 16 tracks included in the album 13 had separate great melody themes, each unique and memorable enough to act as a theme for whole soundtrack in modern times.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 FrozenLiquid

Neither of those was particulary good or memorable. Aren't you sure your warm memories of the scenes from the games those music acompanied aren't affecting your judgement"

And yes...in most OSTs the theme repeats. But in most good scores there are couple good themes that repeat. Halo has one.

And second...I never liked that too much. I prefer varied soundtracks with numerous good themes. I hate Horner's syndrome (one theme, repeat over whole album, then modify and use it in next movie). And that;s exacly what Halo does.

And that's the reason why to me Conan: the Barbarian stll has the best movie soundtrack ever written, not only because it has powerful themes, but it's simply filled with them with bassicaly no repetition. On the 16 tracks included in the album 13 had separate great melody themes, each unique and memorable enough to act as a theme for whole soundtrack in modern times.

AdrianWerner
I knew you were about to say that. Given you're a hermit and will do anything to hate on something console-based (and you damn well know it mate), it was coming. No, my memories aren't warm from scenes from the game. In fact, just to prove the fact that I wasn't going all fanboy on myself, I went to people who didn't even like video games to see if they were good -- I didn't even let them listen to the Halo theme in case they caught it from somewhere else. And guess what they thought... and I'm really going to let you guess, because you know what the answer is going to be. So much so, I didn't even need to pay Shari (favourite song being Under Cover of Night, even after listening to the Halo theme), a friend and damn good artist, to storyboard my version of a Halo film for me. She did it of her own accord, for free, because she was damn inspired. And she didn't even know what she was doing -- she didn't know the context, the themes from the game etc. I told her what to draw, and she drew it pretty much perfectly. I think we've just nailed what was a craptastic Halo 2 ending to one of the most uplifting cliff hangers in movie history -- that's if it gets made. I don't know if you just made up a syndrome, and alluding to James Horner, because there really is a syndrome called Horner's syndrome. And that was completely hilarious that you called this situation that. It's not a theme that is repeated Werner, it's a hook. Composers do not take the whole theme and apply it to every single song. They take one hook, which summarizes the entire setting, and uses it to whatever effect. It's not the same as using one theme for a whole lot of different movies. This is all taking place in the same universe, one after another. If there's no binding theme, it becomes a jumbled mess. Remember -- a hook. Different from an entire theme song. It's vaguely the same as music albums. If you have a disjointed album with lots of varied pieces, the album doesn't feel right. You have many that have similar beats and vibes, and it's a more cohesive album. A reason why many people say, whilst Thriller may be Michael Jackson's biggest album, Off the Wall, is the better overall due to the cohesiveness. And that's why my music teacher in his strong European accent told us less is more. People don't want to hear, for example, a theme for Harry Potter 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. They want to hear a theme for Harry Potter -- a 7 note jingle. It's simple. Effective, and epitomizes the magical world Harry Potter is set in. I have a very funny feeling if Halo was a PC-exclusive we wouldn't have this conversation at all.
Rifkin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Rifkin-
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
I was surprised that God of War 2 didn't win, that soundtrack was EPIC.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The music in the game is pretty cool (but some of the pieces were head scratchers). But really, I think this year should have gone to Halo 3. If anything, Halo 3 pretty much gave it it's all when it came to music. Know why some of you felt Halo 3's battles were dry? Coz Marty O'Donnell made you think you were gonna do some crazy ass s***. It didn't even get nominated. WTF?!wolverine4262

good point... im still trying to master the halo theme (majolnir mix) in GH3.. thats a pretty tough one...it doesnt help that i suck either...

My sister got 97% on her first try. She's freakin good at GH

blues3531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 blues3531
Member since 2005 • 2632 Posts

Willy105

catchy tunes = popularity but does not mean good music, thats like saying Justin Timberlake makes better music than Muse.

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts
mass effect music>all other games music this year
MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"]

blues3531

catchy tunes = popularity but does not mean good music, thats like saying Justin Timberlake makes better music than Muse.

LOL I woul dkill anyone that said that, knights of cydonia FTW

Rifkin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Rifkin-
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
Justin Timberlake makes better music than Muse.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 FrozenLiquid
Justin Timberlake makes better music than Muse.Rifkin-
Hmm.... Most of the credit should go to Timbaland.