How did Mass Effect win best Original Score?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nikolajz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nikolajz1
Member since 2007 • 1200 Posts
This is the one award I have the biggest problem with. Mass Effect had a mediocre at best in comparison to the masterpieces that were in Halo 3, BioShock and Mario Galaxy.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
I agree, mario galaxy and halo3 had amazing musical scores. ass effect wasn't even close
OneShot112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OneShot112
Member since 2004 • 14104 Posts
I personally think Mass Effect was better than Halo 3, but it doesn't touch Super Mario Galaxy.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.
TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts
I bought the Mass Effect OST, and it's great. I think it's between Mass Effect and Bioshock.
astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts
The same way it didn't win rpg of the year and the same way cod 4 got best game on the 360 etc. Imo, 2007's awards were craped up, (not just on gs).
Avatar image for ICollegeStudent
ICollegeStudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ICollegeStudent
Member since 2007 • 655 Posts
If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.heretrix
i love the music when youre in the galaxy map, one of the greatest scifi music ever.
nikolajz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nikolajz1

If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.heretrix

Im more into the orchestral scores in games. Nonetheless, Mass Effect still is in the top 5 games I have played in my life.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 astiop

Yea, I think even the ending song was a good pick. One problem with the OST though, it didn't include the combat track from the planet liara was on... any idea what it's called and were to find (legaly)?

OneShot112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OneShot112
Member since 2004 • 14104 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.ICollegeStudent
i love the music when youre in the galaxy map, one of the greatest scifi music ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-19bl4_SDfI
For anyone who hasn't heard it
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.ICollegeStudent

yeah, it's awesome. I've spent many hours in ME and I don't think there was ever a time I felt the music didn't fit.

It's one of the few games I've actually felt compelled to buy the soundtrack..

usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts
Because they had to give Mass Effect something after gimpng it's score. Funny how Mass Effect was a GOTY contender on virtually EVERY OTHER WEBSITE except GS. lol phail.
frogilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frogilicus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I didn't care for the music of Mass Effect, but it did lend itself better to the game than halo 3. Bioshock would be a hard argument.

TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.heretrix

yeah, it's awesome. I've spent many hours in ME and I don't think there was ever a time I felt the music didn't fit.

Actually, sometimes the music would repeat in the game, especially when you are in combat. I thought it got annoying.

I'm not saying the music is bad, I just hate it when it repeats.

nikolajz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nikolajz1

Bioshocks main theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mefr53H0mOs

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26105 Posts

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.OneShot112

Meh.

Let's see that song compare to THIS!

supernoob662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 supernoob662
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
This is the one award I have the biggest problem with. Mass Effect had a mediocre at best in comparison to the masterpieces that were in Halo 3, BioShock and Mario Galaxy.nikolajz1
ok i am a huge halo andmario fan but mass effect beats both easy not just in sound but gameplay
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I didn't like this years awards at all. Some things were over rated and some were under rated.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Willy105

[QUOTE="nikolajz1"]This is the one award I have the biggest problem with. Mass Effect had a mediocre at best in comparison to the masterpieces that were in Halo 3, BioShock and Mario Galaxy.supernoob662
ok i am a huge halo andmario fan but mass effect beats both easy not just in sound but gameplay

No.

Mass Effect is an RPG.

Halo is a shooter.

Mario is a platformer.

You don't do anything on one game that you do in another.

TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
The music was so freaking epic. Mass Effect won because it was very different music that was fresh and went well with the game.
ICollegeStudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ICollegeStudent

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.heretrix

now mass effect is a true sci fi game. they should make a movie of it in the near future.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.ICollegeStudent

now mass effect is a true sci fi game. they should make a movie of it in the near future.

Unfortunately, they really couldn't since there are so many choices you can make in the game that affect the sequels. They would have to make like 50 movies :P

ICollegeStudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ICollegeStudent
[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.TMontana1004

Unfortunately, they really couldn't since there are so many choices you can make in the game that affect the sequels. They would have to make like 50 movies :P

damn youre right, how about Bioware make a poll of what type of character they should make but not show the results so the movie would be a great suprise.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
wrong. best music in any game
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

sometimes il just look at the map to listen to it, its just awesome
KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KingOfKonging
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

GameSpot awards were crap all around this year.

This site really has jumped the shark, and it's too damn bad because it used to be THE game review site on the net.

I guess that's what happens when all of your best and brightest reviewing talent either leave or are fired, and your best site personalities do the same.

I'm not bashing anyone who works at GS or anything, but man... has the site ever taken a nosedive in the last several months. Crash and burn. If it weren't for a few people left that are worth reading and listening to (Thor, Davis, AlexN) this site would not even be worth visiting.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts
nt

I didn't care for the music of Mass Effect, but it did lend itself better to the game than halo 3. Bioshock would be a hard argument.

frogilicus

Bioshock wasnt really original though. Most of the songs were actual songs from the time period.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="OneShot112"][QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.Willy105

Meh.

That song from SMG is amazing!

Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
Are you joking kid? ME had an awesome score. If anything God of war 2 should win. Because score wise that *craps* on all games this year.
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts

This game rocks so much! Im gonna play it twice more when I finish!!

The music was kinda meh I found it quite forgettable but it was a gem, if maybe a little too flawed

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts
[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.TMontana1004

TV series?

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WuTangG
Member since 2007 • 2189 Posts

How did i know SMG was going to be mentioned

I know it sucks but SMG didnt win the Nobel Prize. Sorry Sheep!

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

Quite Frankly none of the games have great music. Maybe this award should go to games that actually centre on music. Rock Band, or Guitar Hero or something.

But ah well, at least Mass Effect got something, it afterall is the People's Game of the Year. :P

Mass Effect

DMWhiteDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DMWhiteDragon
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
C64 Soloman's Key running on the SID chip > Mass Effect :P
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
The song in the credits was pretty damn awesome, anyone know what the songs name was?
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]

[QUOTE="OneShot112"][QUOTE="ICollegeStudent"][QUOTE="heretrix"]If you believe that, then you haven't heard Mass Effect's score. It is the best ORIGINAL score. large Orchestral soundtracks aren't original at all. The soundtrack fit perfectly with the 70's scifi vibe of the game. It reminded me of the excellent Blade Runner soundtrack from back in the day.Epak_

Meh.

That song from SMG is amazing!

That is just one of them.

ringuzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ringuzi
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts
mass effect is amazing. its sound track and its story. i dont know why bioshock got best story. it had one cliche plot twist, oh my the guy that was helping you is actually an evil master mind!! oh noez!
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

*looks at sig*

Amazonian women- "I want SNOO- SNOO!"

about the topic... ME has by far one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard...its epic and techno and cheesy 70's scifi at the same time!

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#39 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts
Galaxy in my opinion may have the best soundtrack in any game I have ever played. Haven't played Mass Effect yet. Looks like a sweet game though.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I liked Halo 3's a bit mor ethan Mass Effects, but Mass Effects was really amazing.
astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 astiop

The song in the credits was pretty damn awesome, anyone know what the songs name was? Juggernaut140

M4 part 2 by faunts.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wolverine4262

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]The song in the credits was pretty damn awesome, anyone know what the songs name was? astiop

M4 part 2 by faunts.

yep 8 minutes of awesome!!
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
the only award that im puzzled about is the best RPG award
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
The music in the game is pretty cool (but some of the pieces were head scratchers). But really, I think this year should have gone to Halo 3. If anything, Halo 3 pretty much gave it it's all when it came to music. Know why some of you felt Halo 3's battles were dry? Coz Marty O'Donnell made you think you were gonna do some crazy ass s***. It didn't even get nominated. WTF?!
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wolverine4262

The music in the game is pretty cool (but some of the pieces were head scratchers). But really, I think this year should have gone to Halo 3. If anything, Halo 3 pretty much gave it it's all when it came to music. Know why some of you felt Halo 3's battles were dry? Coz Marty O'Donnell made you think you were gonna do some crazy ass s***. It didn't even get nominated. WTF?!FrozenLiquid

good point... im still trying to master the halo theme (majolnir mix) in GH3.. thats a pretty tough one...it doesnt help that i suck either...

HellRazer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HellRazer360
Member since 2006 • 2693 Posts
cause it makes dat money son!!!!:evil:
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The music in the game is pretty cool (but some of the pieces were head scratchers). But really, I think this year should have gone to Halo 3. If anything, Halo 3 pretty much gave it it's all when it came to music. Know why some of you felt Halo 3's battles were dry? Coz Marty O'Donnell made you think you were gonna do some crazy ass s***. It didn't even get nominated. WTF?!wolverine4262

good point... im still trying to master the halo theme (majolnir mix) in GH3.. thats a pretty tough one...it doesnt help that i suck either...

If Halo 2 could be nominated for best score, so should this one. This was way better than Halo 2's score. Also, it's the way they used the music that was damn awesome. I mean, throughout most of the game you heard the Halo 3 version of the theme. Then when "Full Circle" came round, they reverted back to the original Halo tune. I thought that was pure effin' genius.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]The music in the game is pretty cool (but some of the pieces were head scratchers). But really, I think this year should have gone to Halo 3. If anything, Halo 3 pretty much gave it it's all when it came to music. Know why some of you felt Halo 3's battles were dry? Coz Marty O'Donnell made you think you were gonna do some crazy ass s***. It didn't even get nominated. WTF?!FrozenLiquid

If Halo 2 could be nominated for best score, so should this one. This was way better than Halo 2's score. Also, it's the way they used the music that was damn awesome. I mean, throughout most of the game you heard the Halo 3 version of the theme. Then when "Full Circle" came round, they reverted back to the original Halo tune. I thought that was pure effin' genius.

yay... I liked the halo soundtrack, but ME's was a change of pace... sorta like the original Halo's was when it was released...
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
The music was so freaking epic. Mass Effect won because it was very different music that was fresh and went well with the game.TMontana1004
Exactly, every sound fit perfectly.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]The music was so freaking epic. Mass Effect won because it was very different music that was fresh and went well with the game.CrimzonTide
Exactly, every sound fit perfectly.

Don't want to be nitpicky, but I'm sure there was a techno tune that was a head scratcher. The synth tracks are probably the best though. Very eerie and mysterious.