How come the PS4 is killing the Xbox one in sales?

forgotten10x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 forgotten10x
Member since 2016 • 114 Posts

I really do not understand it. I been a gamer for over 17 years. I really had every Sony system to date, and I honestly think the Xbox one is a better system. Beside the release of persona 5 which made me get a PS4, and Uncharted 4 which is awesome. I don't see how, or why it is beating it in sales so bad. A guy from Sony said they don't get it either. Plus I want your opinions on this. I think Nintendo is making a mistake by making their New console generation 9 come out next year. I say make the Wii U last. It can stay a float with games. I say wait. If Nintendo messes up again I believe they will go to only handheld. Nintendo is what got me in games with the original NES. I love Nintendo I would hate to see them go.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

It's not killing the Xbox One, Xbox One is selling as well or even better than the 360 in the same time period. It isn't because Sony did anything right but it's because of what MS did wrong. Their original message was confusing and really turned off consumers. There's still some people today that think you need to be online always for Xbox One. But in reality the top 10 best selling games were only on the Xbox One last year. That alone shows its doing pretty well. I mean look at Sony, if the PS4 is just fine why are they releasing a new one code name NeO. It's all hype.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Power / Price / Value / Games / Community / Controller / Ecosystem

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts
  • PlayStation brand is more popular worldwide
  • PlayStation has been around a lot longer, so a deeper history
  • PlayStation has more games
  • PlayStation 4 came out of the game $100.00 cheaper
  • PlayStation 4 didn't force bundle the PS Eye or the Move
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

I guess this effectively covers it.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

It's the better gaming device

It didn't get buried by negative publicity at launch.

It has more impressive exclusives

After a large amount of early adopters later adopters follow to where the larger community is

It launched cheaper and stronger

There are many reasons

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

It's a lesser dissapointment

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Besides the controller, I would agree with all that at the start of the generation. However now, I would argue that the ecosystem and controller is better on the Xbox One. I was also argue that value is now in favor of the Xbox One because it is priced lower and bundles games. That said, it hasn't stopped the PS4 from steamrolling in sales.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@forgotten10x:

Simple. The machine has far more games at retail and digitally. The fact that it handles multiplats better certainly helps.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

It's the better system...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Because MS did everything wrong to start the gen. Sony has been in cruise control since that first e3. That's why they're barely trying

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

@ProtossRushX: the new dualshock is a massive improvement over the ds3. The ds3 was the worst controller in modern gaming next to the wii nunchuvk scheme though. The ps4 is winning for many reasons but the controller is not one of them. The xbox controller has been a stellar controller since the s model forward and no I don't think the dualshock has surpassed it.

Everything else you said though is hard to argue with. Playstation has nurtured their psn store to great lengths and, they've got legit retail exclusives and the console is fairly priced.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Xbox got less games and mostly only do 720-900p

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's a better, more complete packaged that had a great head start due to Microsoft blundering through the launch with a lot of bad decisions.

The console with a head start usually keeps its momentum going due to people buying the console their friends have. The PS4 also has a more promising lineup and has a better foundation of games too. This isn't like the Xbox 360 last gen which kind of fizzled out halfway through while the PS3 kept getting great exclusives. It seems Sony is putting forth better support throughout the lifespan of the PS4 than Microsoft does with their consoles.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

don't play stupid by asking rhetorical questions just so you can hear the answer you're expecting

anyhow, adding to what others said don't discount their gooble-gobble cultish personality of its devout followers and their endless drive to play PR for Sony, PS3 sold better it was a worse system on price, power, library, online, features, so they were poised to do even better when they did everything better than their competitor this generation

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Why thread is open TheEroica ; charizard1605 ; Wasdie ; what happened with 500 post rule?

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

The gaming media will tell you it's because of the DRM fiasco, and yes it did play a big part in it, but Microsoft recovered to the best of its ability and it's still selling well.

The truth is PlayStation has always been a bigger brand than Xbox. When Sony launched the PS3 they were high. Even the PS3 surpassed the 360 after all those years show you just how big of a brand PS is.

Even without the DRM fiasco Xbox One would have fallen behind, and while it's still strong in the US it might have topped the PS4 in the US like the 360 did in North America.1

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Because it does just about everything better. There is little reason to buy an Xbone unless you can't live without Gears or Halo. Last gen 360 did play most multiplats better and XBL was better than PSN. This gen PS4 plays every multiplat better, PSN is equal to XBL and Sony always has the better and more diverse exclusive lineup. The only way M$ can salvage the Xbone is to start pumping out must have games you can't get on any other platform but they don't have the studios to do it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

It all comes down to the horrible XB1 launch... put it on the back foot immediately. And gamers aren't exactly a forgiving bunch.

But it's turned out to be a great console under Phil Spencer.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

Sony has a larger consumer base...........

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Playstation has always been bigger than xbox, its more powerful, it has more games, it has arguably superior exclusives at this point definitely by the end of the year. Microsoft screwed up at the beginning but even if they didnt have negative press, there was no way they would win this gen

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

All the reasons above + it didn't really help that PS4 launched in more countries than the Xbone.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@kvally said:
  • PlayStation brand is more popular worldwide
  • PlayStation has been around a lot longer, so a deeper history
  • PlayStation has more games
  • PlayStation 4 came out of the game $100.00 cheaper
  • PlayStation 4 didn't force bundle the PS Eye or the Move

This ^^^^^

Plus, Microsoft went first with their reveal. Microsoft still haven't learned their lesson.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Terrible marketing prior to launch and power of the console hurt them. In say that i actually believe the xbox one is selling good if we look at sales of the 360. You can only purchase the xbox one in 30 countries. Sony 124 countries worldwide. So Sony console can be bought in more places.

Last gen the numbers were inflated because of the red rings of death. I'm guessing 40-50 million gamers bought a 360 console in the years it was out, and maybe 30 million same gamers bought a second 360 because the first one failed? Just guessing i have know clue really what the numbers are.

I think the xbox one sales were only going to be 40-50 million in 6 to 8 years They are on there way to to that after three years. They're at 20 million+ sold or more by now? Yes they could have increased their market share if they hadn't fucked up and lot more people had picked up the xbox one, but i think Sony was always going to be leading ahead of MS, as its just a better known brand.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@forgotten10x said:

I really do not understand it. I been a gamer for over 17 years. I really had every Sony system to date, and I honestly think the Xbox one is a better system. Beside the release of persona 5 which made me get a PS4, and Uncharted 4 which is awesome. I don't see how, or why it is beating it in sales so bad. A guy from Sony said they don't get it either. Plus I want your opinions on this. I think Nintendo is making a mistake by making their New console generation 9 come out next year. I say make the Wii U last. It can stay a float with games. I say wait. If Nintendo messes up again I believe they will go to only handheld. Nintendo is what got me in games with the original NES. I love Nintendo I would hate to see them go.

Neogaf had a thread up yesterday asking people who own PS4 and xbox one what console do you play on the most? The majority picked the xbox one and you often hear Neogaf has more PS4 owners then xbox one owners! You would not know reading posts on here the xbox one is been given more play time!

Xbox one had the same raw performance as the PS4 there be no debate the xbox one is the better console and it the only console that can play 360/PS3 last gen games from the disk.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Didn't stop the 360 last gen. Horrible reveal, lots of negative press, weaker console and more expensive. Pretty much snowballed from there. Nintendo at one point had a bigger consumer base but didn't stop the PS1 was steamrolling that gen either.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

for most people its a case of better bang for your buck.

if you just want something to play the latest games on then the PS4 is the logical choice for most. it costs the same, is more powerful, has feature parity (or where it doesnt people dont care) and gets all the latest big games.

so why choose xbox? exclusives are not having a huge affect on which console sells this time (MS also seem to be misfiring on the quality of their exclusives)...3rd parties wear the pants in this industry now. surprisingly being tied into the live ecosystem from last gen has had little affect it seems. i thought people who used live a lot last gen would just go to the next xbox to keep all those achievements, friend lists and so on. im sure some are but it doesnt appear to be in huge numbers.

MS havent given a very good answer...hence getting outsold.

as for nintendo..they have to release a new console. the wiiu is done..its had it. even people who have a wiiu have become disengaged and game sales have slowed to a crawl. although nintendo are posting profits again for now they cant continue to try and make games for a console that people have stopped using.

forgotten10x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 forgotten10x

As far as saying it's a better system I strongly disagree with that

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Its the better system plain and simple. More powerful! Better exclusives! Multiplats run and look better on the PS4! DS4 is the superior controller! PSN is equal to XBL on every important level! CoD timed exclusisivity means a ton!!

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kingtito

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Its the better system plain and simple. More powerful! Better exclusives! Multiplats run and look better on the PS4! DS4 is the superior controller! PSN is equal to XBL on every important level! CoD timed exclusisivity means a ton!!

Not so plain and simple. More powerful? Yes. Better exclusive? Depends on user. Multiplats run and look better? Yes. DS4 superior controller? Umm opinion up to the consumer. PSN equlas XBL? No but closer than last gen. CoD timed exclusive? expac?

To say it's better plain and simple isn't accurate.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: I think they got rid of that rule A LONG time ago.

Also the Xbox One is underwhelming because the PS4 is more powerful and has a bigger (better) Library

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Sony sent out nano spores to infect our minds into believing ps4 is the best ever. Though it could be that it's a better system that appeals to a wide audience and had better marketing but that's not crazy enough to be true.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@forgotten10x said:

I really do not understand it. I been a gamer for over 17 years. I really had every Sony system to date, andI honestly think the Xbox one is a better system. .............................

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Cause its a much superior console and has must own exclusives, it even appeals to pc gamers like myself because even with a beefy rig uncharted 4 and the last of us still runs at 0fps on my system. Compare that with the xbone which half the 'exclusives' look and run better on pc and the remaining are bgrade. Let's just face the facts, ps4>xbone

I have to admit the xbone controller is by far the best game pad ever made, thankfully it works on the pc...

forgotten10x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By forgotten10x

@casharmy said:
@forgotten10x said:

I really do not understand it. I been a gamer for over 17 years. I really had every Sony system to date, andI honestly think the Xbox one is a better system. .............................

Hahah I'm just saying the glory days of Sony in my opinion are behind them. Persona 5 will be the best PS4 game. Just like all the personas I wish they would go to Xbox, but JRPGs don't sell so well on American products it seems.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Didn't stop the 360 last gen. Horrible reveal, lots of negative press, weaker console and more expensive. Pretty much snowballed from there. Nintendo at one point had a bigger consumer base but didn't stop the PS1 was steamrolling that gen either.

Sony sold more consoles than MS last gen as well.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

I love all console. Left the "S" off on purpose.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No they didn't. Not when the this gen started and that's all that matters. Who cares after the new consoles are out. Point, you seem to refuse to see, is that the Sony drones isn't the reason it's selling so well this gen. The 360 sold extremely well last gen and out sold the PS3 for 8 years. Beside your reasoning isn't well thought out anyway since Nintendo had way more fans yet the PS1 AND PS2 had NO issues out selling their consoles.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

I guess this effectively covers it.

Power? Yes this gen it has become something. Price? Yes, at launch in particular. Games? Bigger library is always a plus when someone asks the person or friend for advice. Controller? LMAO nope, all subjective. Ecosystem? Yeah not sure on that.

Sorry char doesn't cover it as it leaves out the biggest reasons: PS has always and probably will always be more popular the world over; and the launch policies fiasco at E3 2013 for MS. Any reasoning that doesn't include these is part BS.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Sony had a good product and MS did everything they could to alienate their customers making them purchase Sony's product instead.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Sony not only had strong momentum coming off the PS3, but also learned a lot of lessons from the early years of the PS3. They put their best foot forward with the reveal and launch while MS was busy shooting themselves in the foot and doing their best to help Sony sell PS4s.

This really set the pace from the start, Sony had already won over the mind share of gamers before these consoles even launched.

Having the better hardware and price point also helped and it's just been a snowball effect ever since, garnering more sales, more games, bigger exclusives, etc.

It's not as if these consoles are worlds apart when you get down to it. Sony just had a better, clearer message from the start and MS did everything in their power to make Sony look like the saviors of gaming.

You can bet your ass that MS will be incredibly cautious about how they communicate their next machine to gamers.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

2 things:

The by gamers FOR gamers mantar

Live, Learn and Love philosophy

and to think MS dropped 10 billion on R&D...

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

No matter what anyone tells you...it's because of the crappy launch. Word spread like wildfire and kids got what their friends purchased. It's the new hot toy.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

As for the WiiU bit, I don't think Nintendo could stay afloat on it man. They already released all of their "power house" titles aside from Zelda and Metroid. Metroid isn't a system seller anyways, and I imagine most big Zelda fans probably own a WiiU.

The console is dead in the water.

I see what you're saying, it is a bit crazy for Nintendo to drop a new platform so soon (especially so when it's not launching in the holiday window), but I don't know what else they can do.

It's a bit troubling that the system won't be at E3. Less than a year off from launch, you should have something worth showing.

I really hope this is one of those times when Nintendo actually knows what they're doing because as of now it just seems like a lot of poor planning.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No they didn't. Not when the this gen started and that's all that matters. Who cares after the new consoles are out. Point, you seem to refuse to see, is that the Sony drones isn't the reason it's selling so well this gen. The 360 sold extremely well last gen and out sold the PS3 for 8 years. Beside your reasoning isn't well thought out anyway since Nintendo had way more fans yet the PS1 AND PS2 had NO issues out selling their consoles.

PS3 actually outsold the 360 head-to-head most years last generation. Microsoft only stayed ahead for so long because it launched a year earlier.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Another day, another Alt thread.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

Another day, another Alt thread.

NyaDC never quits.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingtito

@StrongBlackVine said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

PS3 actually outsold the 360 head-to-head most years last generation. Microsoft only stayed ahead for so long because it launched a year earlier.

But it didn't outsell it by the end of the gen. You know, that console cows claimed would pass up soon as the PS3 launched. It took an entire gen to catch up and that's with the 360 selling virtually nothing in japan. Yeah great victory for Sony in losing half it's market share that gen as well as all it's profits. Very nice for Sony. Go ask Sony what your reply should be now

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@forgotten10x said:
@casharmy said:
@forgotten10x said:

Hahah I'm just saying the glory days of Sony in my opinion are behind them. Persona 5 will be the best PS4 game. Just like all the personas I wish they would go to Xbox, but JRPGs don't sell so well on American products it seems.

You aren't making any sense.

You say you think xbone is the better console, but you haven't supported that! Saying you wish that PS4 titles would come to xbone actually contradicts that very argument about xbone being the better system since the PS4 is actually getting games you want while xbone is not.

So you are just another xbone owner bitter that you chose the wrong system this gen and wishing for PS4 titles to come out on xbone since it's getting nothing of worth and you don't know how to come to grips with your x-bone choice? Gotcha!

Again...tell us moar!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

That about covers it.