How can the Ps3 have a 10 year life span?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 acekall
Member since 2003 • 3676 Posts

I mean, just looks at crysis, dx 10 supported. Looks amazing, gameplay looks good. That is just one of the Dx10 games.

In a couple of years PC will make X360 and PS3 look like snes, let alone 10 years. If MS ans Sony would release a new console in about 4 or 5 years the the consoles can keep up with the PC. But 10 years?? Just imagine if PS3 was released in 2009.

I for one hope that sony will release a new console in 2010/2011.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

The PS2 is like 7 years old and games are still releasing for it.

A 7 year old console can pump out a game that looks as good as GoW II. That's pretty damn impressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
deactivated-600fd0017f1ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
I don't think it can, I think Sony overexaggerated a little, but I'll enjoy it while it's here...
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

The PS3 is like 7 years old and games are still releasing for it. BioShockOwnz

Wow, i thought it was like 1 year old :o

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
PC's have usually looked better then consoles. Nothing has changed.
FusionApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 FusionApex
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts

I don't think it can, I think Sony overexaggerated a little, but I'll enjoy it while it's here...acekicka

Exactly, it was thought that graphics could not advance enough to create a new console until 10 years from now, but that is quite doubtful nowadays.

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

The PS3 is like 7 years old and games are still releasing for it.

A 7 year old console can pump out a game that looks as good as GoW II. That's pretty damn impressive.

BioShockOwnz
you mean ps2
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
In 2009, devs would know how to maximize the usage of both consoles. Games would look better but would also be limited eventually. But hey, look how long PS2 lasted with it's hardware. And look at the games that came out at the end. Considering that the PS3 is something like fifty times better than the PS2, I can see it last about that long. If Sony is smart....IF Sony is smart, they'll release a new console before ten years.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

BioShockOwnz
you mean PS2 right?
bulb_or_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bulb_or_parrot
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts
PS2 still looks alright seven years later, not great, but alright. Plus, lifespan doesn't mean they won't release another console, the PS4 could come out while the PS3 could still have another two years of game support, since people take their time saving up for expensive new consoles.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Ragashahs

you mean PS2 right?

Do you really need to ask that? GoW is a PS2 game, correct?

Typing error, that's all.

Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wemhim256
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts
Sony never said that they're waiting 10 years to release the next one, but they're waiting 10 years to discontinue the PS3.
Avatar image for GearsOfWarLover
GearsOfWarLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 GearsOfWarLover
Member since 2006 • 637 Posts
i guess by 10 year life span is with blu-ray but not gonna happen
Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
A healthy diet and brisk jog every morning.
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
Well the technologies such as the cell processor and blu-ray are going to allow it to sustain a longer than average console life time. I mean more space to develop on, plus untapped processing power can make a difference. While pcs do get new graphics chips and such for better looking games, you would have to keep upgrading your hardware to get better looking games whereas with consoles, their architecture differs from pcs and hence i've noticed the games get better looking on the same hardware with new revolutionary gameplay.
Thrice_III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thrice_III
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts

[QUOTE="acekicka"]I don't think it can, I think Sony overexaggerated a little, but I'll enjoy it while it's here...FusionApex

Exactly, it was thought that graphics could not advance enough to create a new console until 10 years from now, but that is quite doubtful nowadays.

Its not 10 years before they release a new console but about 10 years of support.

PS1 had about a 10 year life span and the PS2 is closing in on 8 years, and it seems like it will keep going for a little longer. Sony doesn't pull the plug on a console like MS did with the original xbox so you will still get support after the next consoles come out.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

The PS2 is like 7 years old and games are still releasing for it.

BioShockOwnz

yeh, but compared to the lack of geometry it actually renders in real time, compared to the small rooms you are normmaly in. Its not that great....

tbh FF X & MGS 2 with 3 still looks better ;)

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

The PS3 will become obsolete before 10 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
deactivated-600fd0017f1ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
[QUOTE="FusionApex"]

[QUOTE="acekicka"]I don't think it can, I think Sony overexaggerated a little, but I'll enjoy it while it's here...Thrice_III

Its not 10 years before they release a new console but about 10 years of support.

PS1 had about a 10 year life span and the PS2 is closing in on 8 years, and it seems like it will keep going for a little longer. Sony doesn't pull the plug on a console like MS did with the original xbox so you will still get support after the next consoles come out.

I understand what you're saying but the support towards the end isn't half as good as you get in the early to mid life of the console.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I mean, just looks at crysis, dx 10 supported. Looks amazing, gameplay looks good. That is just one of the Dx10 games.

In a couple of years PC will make X360 and PS3 look like snes, let alone 10 years. If MS ans Sony would release a new console in about 4 or 5 years the the consoles can keep up with the PC. But 10 years?? Just imagine if PS3 was released in 2009.

I for one hope that sony will release a new console in 2010/2011.

acekall

The main problem with the PC is it's not very user or family room friendly. Most of the PC gamers who play PC games that are already on the XBox 360, are hardcore gamers. Don't get me wrong, as there are millions of casual PC gamers, but they aren't playing console style games on their PC's. They are playing them on the PS2, PS3, XBox, 360,Gamecube& Wii. CasualPC gamers are playing online card games, golf, free shareware games on zone.com, addictivegaming.com, etc.. free MMORPG games and some free strategy games. That's why thenumber of sales for games like Halo, F.E.A.R.,FarCry,etc.. are greater on the 360 & PS3, then on the PC.

One more thing. The game consoles aren't trying to keep up with the PC. If that was thecase, they would make every console upgradible by thegamers. Having one standardhardware configuration for a game console is much easier to program for then trying to make a gave for a PC where millions of gamers have millions of different hardware configurations. Developers like Crytek can never make their games at the highest resolution with the highest speed and memory without having adjustable settings. They have too think of the little guys andput settings in so the game can be toned downso a low configuration PCcan still play the game. They don't have to do that with a game console.