Horizon Zero Dawn sales predicted to reach 4-6 million in 2017 (8 million lifetime)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

SuperData thinks Sony has struck gold with its latest new PS4 IP. Horizon Zero Dawn arrives in the UK next week, and has already been receiving glowing reviews, boasting a current Metacritic average of 88 per cent. In fact, the game will do so well that it will rival established IP such as Uncharted, the company has predicted.

Based on our initial observations we believe that Horizon Zero Dawn can sell around 4-6m units by end of 2017, given its early in the year release. Lifetime sales will likely be around 6-8m, which puts it in the same category as Uncharted 4 and Metal Gear Solid V.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/horizon-zero-dawn-sales-predicted-to-reach-4-6-million-in-2017/0179220

I think 4 million is a good bet. Maybe the game will sell better?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I don't think it has the "Uncharted" pull yet to sell THAT much. But with all the hype in the reviews it'll be a big exclusive for Sony for sure. Well earned. Good job Guerilla.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

CasualStation confirmed. :P

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I am curious how they came up with that number... are pre-orders strong?

Just wondering... not hating

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Wait, now Superdata counts? I thought they didn't count when they called PSVR a flop. I am so confused as to when it counts and doesn't count.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm sure it'll do great. Open world, pretty graphics, good reviews, somewhat fresh setting for a AAA game... and will be marketed to hell and back.

But yeah, 6-8 mill lifetime does sound a bit too optimistic. I'm with you on the 4 mill bet, which would still be great for a new IP.

Though tbh, I don't really keep up with the sales game, I could be way off lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Super data means jack shit

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

It'll be very interesting to see how things play out considering the release window. We just got Nioh, and Nier Automata is on its way. Lesser titles like For Honor are still somewhat popular. You have the Nintendo Switch and upcoming Legend of Zelda release just days away from Horizon: Zero Dawn, and about the next month after that there's the much waited games like Mass Effect Andromeda and Persona 5. Later in the year there's also the much anticipated Red Dead Redemption 2, and the release of the upcoming Scorpio. No word yet what kind of 2017 releases will make their showing at E3; Cyperpunk 2077 perhaps? In a slower year a Sony title like Uncharted 4 or Bloodborne can do very well with very little competition that matches up to it, but this is a pretty big year. Anyhow, good thing these are some third party analysts independent projects and not Sony's expectations. Safe to say though, I think Guerrilla is safe to fight another day.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kvally

I wouldn't be surprised it hits those numbers. The game has been hyped to the moon back, received great reviews, has commercials on TV 24x7. It's gonna do big.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

It'll be very interesting to see how things play out considering the release window. We just got Nioh, and Nier Automata is on its way. Lesser titles like For Honor are still somewhat popular. You have the Nintendo Switch and upcoming Legend of Zelda release just days away from Horizon: Zero Dawn, and about the next month after that there's the much waited games like Mass Effect Andromeda and Persona 5. Later in the year there's also the much anticipated Red Dead Redemption 2, and the release of the upcoming Scorpio. No word yet what kind of 2017 releases will make their showing at E3; Cyperpunk 2077 perhaps? In a slower year a Sony title like Uncharted 4 or Bloodborne can do very well with very little competition that matches up to it, but this is a pretty big year. Anyhow, good thing these are some third party analysts independent projects and not Sony's expectations. Safe to say though, I think Guerrilla is safe to fight another day.

Let's see, I'm buying:

• Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Nintendo Switch+Breath of the Wild
  • NeiR: Automata (PC)
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Those games are gonna take a lot of time to get around too and yeah, March is jam pack with lots of games and new Nintendo console is gonna take a toll for everyone trying to play everything, I myself won't be buying anything after Andromeda releases until June 30 for Crash Bandicoot remaster hits.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

2017 is going to be one of those infamous "best years in gaming" kind of years.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

@sts106mat:

For me it's..

Sea of Thieves

ME:A

RDR2

Crackdown 3

A pretty good maybe is State of Decay 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

That projection is asinine. The game is a new IP from a developer that hasn't had a "hit" yet, with a female protagonist. Those 3 points might as well be strikes against it's mainstream appeal. Rise of the Tomb Raider, a game with name recognition and a successful reboot didn't sell near that much. You can even add all 3 platforms together. Sony and GG need to distance themselves from numbers like this because it will only lead to the "failure" talk. Horizon reviewed remarkably well. Lets celebrate that for now and continue to anticipate its release without all the crazy talk.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kvally

@sts106mat said:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Mass Effect Andromeda

Red Dead Redemption

Ace Combat 7

Those are the only games I am 100% buying this year. everything else is expendable.

Solid line up for sure. Mine is similar as these I am buying 100%:

• Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Crackdown 3
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Cuphead
  • Forza Motorsport 7
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Below

As for Mass Effect Andromeda, Nier and State of Decay 2, those are on my possible list.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

That projection is asinine. The game is a new IP from a developer that hasn't had a "hit" yet, with a female protagonist. Those 3 points might as well be strikes against it's mainstream appeal. Rise of the Tomb Raider, a game with name recognition and a successful reboot didn't sell near that much. You can even add all 3 platforms together. Sony and GG need to distance themselves from numbers like this because it will only lead to the "failure" talk. Horizon reviewed remarkably well. Lets celebrate that for now and continue to anticipate its release without all the crazy talk.

And that's why studios close left and right. The gaming industry has very unrealistic expectations. They churn out huge amounts of money into a project and think it'll sell 10M copies in its first attempt. Horizon first needs to establish a name first. It'll sell no more than 6M but I expect more in the neighborhood of 4-5M. If they release a sequel than 8M might be a possibility.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Tomb Raider had competition from Uncharted which is a much better game. There's nothing quite like Horizon out there though, at least not that does all the things is does as well as the reviews say.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@dakur said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Tomb Raider had competition from Uncharted which is a much better game. There's nothing quite like Horizon out there though, at least not that does all the things is does as well as the reviews say.

The Xbox One and PC versions were out before Uncharted 4 released. Also Uncharted 4 didn't really serve as competition to those who were never going to purchase a PS4, but owned a PC or Xbox One. And the, "Uncharted is a much better game" comment is debatable. It depends on how you define "game," I guess. I would say UC4 had a better story, more polish and greater over all production value. But RotTR is a better "video game." UC4 is a super linear interactive movie. But this is a different topic entirely.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@dakur said:

Tomb Raider had competition from Uncharted

Where can I buy Uncharted for my PC?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Good, maybe now they can kill off the killzone franchise for good.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice

@Juub1990 said:
@dakur said:

Tomb Raider had competition from Uncharted

Where can I buy Uncharted for my PC?

I think he means anyone can Watch it on utube... same difference. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I don't see it even getting close to 4-6 million in it's first year. I predict that it will get outsold by the Crash Bandicoot remake trilogy.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@sts106mat:

For me it's..

Sea of Thieves

RDR2

Crackdown 3

I wonder will State of Decay see a graphics boost with the next game? I played the first one and the story was great. So i am interested in the second one coming out.

I still unsure about Crackdown have not seen enough of it to purchase i sure they will be a beta though soon. Same for Sea of Thieves i try the beta and see if i like it.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kvally

@loe12k said:
@SecretPolice said:

@sts106mat:

For me it's..

Sea of Thieves

RDR2

Crackdown 3

I wonder will State of Decay see a graphics boost with the next game? I played the first one and the story was great. So i am interested in the second one coming out.

I still unsure about Crackdown have not seen enough of it to purchase i sure they will be a beta though soon. Same for Sea of Thieves i try the beta and see if i like it.

I know the lighting engine is all new and improved. They showed some screenshots of it on their twitter account recently. It's an indie game though, so don't expect Tomb Raider or Ryse quality graphics.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

2017 is going to be one of those infamous "best years in gaming" kind of years.

i made a thread about it. lol

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/why-2017-will-be-the-biggest-year-in-gaming-over-t-33375057/

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider released on the flopbox and thats why it flopped.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

With AAA development garnering a AAA score from around the world, that would make sense.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kvally
@samfisher56 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider released on the flopbox and thats why it flopped.

LOL no.

Then on Microsoft Windows it even tripled that amount:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-first-month-pc-sales-almos/1100-6435094/

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@kvally said:

Wait, now Superdata counts? I thought they didn't count when they called PSVR a flop. I am so confused as to when it counts and doesn't count.

If it benefits cows, it counts. If it doesn't benefit them, it doesn't count...lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@kvally said:

Superdata should be taken with a grain of salt. they are estimates after all.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

not happening

not even close

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

A solid hit. Sony is knocking them out of the park. Poor Phil out in the cold begging for games lol. Don't Horizon will do as well as they are predicting though. I know I am buying my copy for my PS4 Pro.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I'll be supporting it when I have the money.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Articulately and well said.

I just hope the fact the protagonist is female doesn't actually matter to anyone. If the protagonist is strong, deep and engaging, it is completely irrelevant whether they are male or female.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Just bought my PS4 Pro from ebay. Newegg has a nice combo deal that was the Pro and 2 games for 399.99 today only. So count me in for one of those Horizon sales!

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Impressive one of the more surprising hits this year, personally I thought it looked weak as hell but guess I was wrong!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

not happening

not even close

I think it'll come close to 4 Million. Bloodborne hit 2 Million after a few months and Horizon seems to be a game that's more accessible than Bloodborne. Lifetime, though, I think it will depend on how well they support it.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@Netret0120 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Articulately and well said.

I just hope the fact the protagonist is female doesn't actually matter to anyone. If the protagonist is strong, deep and engaging, it is completely irrelevant whether they are male or female.

I think it's cool the protagonist is female. It doesn't feel it is a role female characters usually do so it makes the character more interesting IMO.