HD remakes=milkage due to failure

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skilfulgary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 skilfulgary
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts

If a dev has to remake a game from last gen then they are showing a lack of confidence in present ip's.

Seriously,if you have to bring back a game from one generation ago then does that mean the devs are failing?

I think halo anniversary has no chance of being anywhere near as good as the original in the hands of 343 to be honest.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#2 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
People want HD ports and they're relatively easy to make. Why not cash in. It's a win win so long as the port is handeled well. And the point of the Halo remake isn't to surpass the original experience(lets face it, such attempt would only anger fans). They've flat out claimed that they think it's great as is and don't want to change the gameplay. All they're doing is giving it a current gen graphics engine, supporting surround sound and reorchestrating the sound track and putting in some nice extras like skulls and terminals. No one has to make the HD ports(and the remake for Halo). It has nothing to do with how confident publishers/devs are with new games. If you don't want them simply don't buy them. Personally I can't wait to play the MGS and ZOE HD collections and the Halo remake.... And I really hope Square decides to put that FInal Fantasy X port on the 360.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

It's more like easy money. >.>

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Well, i don't have a PS2 anymore, so i don't mind buying some of my favorite games from last gen again.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
The only reason these remakes are happening, at least for the PS3, is because of the no backwards compatibility. As for Halo, if ANY game was going to get a remake, it would be Halo. It was bound to happen.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

If a dev has to remake a game from last gen then they are showing a lack of confidence in present ip's.

skilfulgary

I don't think it's lack of confidence so much as it's a case of easy money for them. Take an old game, improve the graphics, chuck in some trophies/achievements and you know you're gonna get big sales... it's a no brainer really. Plus you'll have a lot of early 20 year olds with spare cash for nostalgic crap like remakes so they're often keen to buy the old rather than embrace the new :)

Long and short is that it's easy money.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

They need to update these remakes a la resident evil remake. With not only better graphics but new gameplay. :)

If this was a perfect world anyways.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I'm sure the Metal Gear Solid games were such a critical and commercial failure that they felt the need to give it an HD remake, because everyone wants HD remakes of terrible games amirite?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Or it could be millions of fans asking for ______ to be the next HD remake.

Also, getting Shadow of the Colosis & Eco together, runing smothly, and only 40$

Its beautiful:cry:

Love you Sony:cry:

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

They need to update these remakes a la resident evil remake. With not only better graphics but new gameplay. :)

If this was a perfect world anyways.

TheHighWind

I disagree regarding the gameplay. Leave the gameplay as is but release it with improvements to allow people now to experience what other people got the first time. If you remake a game with new graphics and gameplay on a new system... why not just make a new game in the series?! I'm sure there are writers out there that could write you something interesting and new.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Also, aren't most remakes not handled by the original dev?

How is someone else remaking their clas sic game make them Lazy devs this gen:?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts
It's all about dem graphix man
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Keep buying them so I can see you next gen crying about the lack of backwards compatibility on Sony and MS consoles.
RGDT021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RGDT021
Member since 2008 • 939 Posts

HD remakes are the biggest ripoff since charging money for DLC.

Genesis-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Genesis-X
Member since 2011 • 221 Posts
If a dev has to remake a game from last gen then they are showing a lack of confidence in present ip'sskilfulgary
Proof?
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yeah, just look at No More Heroes Paradise...
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

mate i'm buying Halo Anniversary Day 1 no matter what. :D

I mean how would you feel if your favourite game of all time was remade with next gen graphics with some new content and COOP over Xbox live?

DaisyFan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaisyFan007
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

A lot of good remakes this year, i dont see the problem, guess what, kid could say remake sux and go play CoD.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

if they remade some of the greatest ps2 RPG games in HD i'd buy them......if they were a reasonable price.

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

The Metal Gear Solid series: Total failure.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

people dont need an excuse to cash in on old franchises

personally though, I like the idea of HD remakes of last gen games. all the games need are a better framerate, an updated resolution, and maybe some texture polishing and it will make them alot more playable years down the road.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
It gives the people a chance to play games they couldn't play last gen, like ICO and SOTC, some of these games are not even available in stores anymore, or hard to find, now you can play them with 30 consistent fps and in HD, if you don't want them simply don't buy them, i'm looking forward to ico/sotc collection and MGS.TheGuardian03
I couldn't agree more. :) I'm glad they are giving out remakes. :D
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Shadow of The Colossus looks fugly on my HDTV and I don't want to go into the bedroom every time i wanna replay it, feels unsociable.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no they are giving fans what they want and in return they get money...
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Or they could be, idk, ports. You know, that thing that's been around since roughly forever.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

you need to learn whats the difference between hd remakes and hd upgrades

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

while milked franchises like " AC every year or COD or MW" are not failure becaseu the sell millions. i would take ANY hd remake of a good game of the gaming mess today. 10hours Games for 60 dollars-euros with just good graphics that most people think that matter..

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Don't remember where I've read it, but a developer himself said that HD remakes are some easy money from the hardcore fans. They don't require a lot of work and are guaranteed to make profit. It's a lot less risk free way to make some money than wasting tens of millions for an AAA multi-plat game.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Seriously,if you have to bring back a game from one generation ago then does that mean the devs are failing?

I think halo anniversary has no chance of being anywhere near as good as the original in the hands of 343 to be honest.

skilfulgary

Nothing wrong with remaking a game with improved visuals from time to time, Nintendo did it on the SNES with Mario All Stars and it was a excellent pack of Mario games up to date. It becomes wrong wen developers over do it.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

I mean how would you feel if your favourite game of all time was remade with next gen graphics with some new content and COOP over Xbox live?

walkingdream

in the immortal words of keith lemon....bang tidy.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

walkingdream

Halo AE is a remake, all other HD remakes are not

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I have got all the HD remakes for the PS3. I love them. Nothing wrong with getting 3 good games for less than the price of 1 newer game. If you don't like them.....don't buy them.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

I'm actually hyped for the Resident Evil: Code Veronica HD re-release. I haven't played that game in years but it was one of my favorites...

ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

Well it's Sony's plan to keep on selling the Ps2 for $99 and remove the backward compataiblity on the Ps3 and then port Ps2 games for higher resolution.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
MGS series is not a failure.... konami is just listening to their fans request
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Um, not seeing the connection here.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

RGDT021
I LOL'D NO. I LOVE HD remakes. I've got GOW Collection and Sly Collection and I'm dying to get Metal Gear Collection and SOTC/Ico Collection :) And I'm already begging for an FFX/FFXII collection, Ratchet & Clank collection, Jak & Daxter collection, Maximo collection and a Devil May Cry Collection... So please make it happen ;)
mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

I haven't played ICO, have only gotten 33%-40% SotC, and FFX is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't have my PS2 with me, and I want to see these games looking as beautiful as I can in HD. I don't mind paying for it. The only thing is that I wish the standard price was $30 for single games like FFX, but it will probably be $40.

Also, give it a month or two and you'll see these kinds of games on sale for $30 on amazon.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

RGDT021

Depends if you played the game or not. Almost all the HD remakes out now I have never played since I never owned a PS2.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

I think the HD collectios are awesome tbh. I've played Sly collection, the 1st God of War Collection and now I'm playing the The 2nd God of War Collection (the psp games).And there are other amazing games coming to the HD side like MGS collection and ico/SotC.

So many great games for a very reasonable price in full HD . If you haven't played those games its an great deal.Even If you have theres some appeal to it.For example I did play Gow 1 and 2 on the PS2 but I still enjoyed a lot the 1st GoW collection.The bottom like is no one is forcing you to buy them and it also is easy money for Sony.Its simply a win win.

Jiz.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
Personally I love HD remakes ... I own both GoW remakes ha they're awesome games add in better visuals, trophy support at an affordable price ... count me in! Last night I just learned MGS2/3 and Peace Walker (Which is the only MGS game I've yet had a chance to play) is coming bundled in an HD Collection it seriously made my gaming year :D There's ICO and Shadow which I haven't played now I get a chance to with better performance and visuals, seriously it's a win win for everyone!
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

oh dear....hd remakes show how successfull a game was, its to show appreciation for the fanbase and to give those who havent experienced a game a chance to be able to go out and get the game for a deal, every hd remake which has came out this generation is from a super succesfull franchise

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Remakes, rereleases and ports have been happening for years now, going back to the SNES days (probably before). I really don't get the sudden dissent with them this gen.

There is no denying that developers are out to make just a quick buck but what is wrong with buying these games? It's my decision to spend my money however I want and I'll be damned if some kid on the internet is going to tell me what I should and shouldn't be buying.

Also, people are always saying that remakes and ports are a waste of resources and time. Um, devs don't go to their current projects and pull the lead graphics programmer and tell them they are now going to be working on a port and the new game be damned. Most of the times a seperate studio is given the job of porting the game. For instance, Ready at Dawn, a porting studio, were the ones that ported the GoW PSP games to the PS3. Did doing so take time away from releasing GoW4? No, as Ready at Dawn does not work in cojunction with Santa Monica.

Oh well people will continue to bash any new rerelease until their favorite game gets ported and they'll sing a different tune then.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

I think making HD remakes is a good idea. Relive some of the good old games just in a way that looks better.

rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

skilfulgary

You don't seem to know much about the development process for these games. Remakes typically leveraage the engine from the new versions of the game, whcih means the dev team had to build the NEW game before they built the remake. These games seem "cheaper" (and they are) because they leverage these assets. That's because these games are fundamentally niche. For the most part, they are side projects brought up by developers internally that want to remake one of THEIR favorite games using the new engine they've been working on. That's exactly what happened with Halo (hey, we've got the Reach engine, wouldn't it be cool re redo all of Combat Evolved levels in the Reach engine?) I think it was origially supposed to be a map pack for Reach.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus remakes are the exact opposite of a cash-in. These games sold poorly at launch and the remakes aren't going to sell well either. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were critic darlings and many considered them the very best games released on the PS2. The release was the DEVELOPERS crowing about the great games they made for the PS2 and to please the (very few) fans of ICO and Shadow. These games are the very apex of fan service, like the International releases of Final Fantasy X.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29834 Posts

It's more like easy money. >.>

timmy00
I'd agree. That being said, when I get a chance I'll definitely get the Team Ico and RE4 HD updates, as I enjoyed the games so much the first time I played them.
staticxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 staticxtreme27
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

Hey, I'm personally pumped that I'm about to be playing Shadow of the Colossus HD on my PS3 :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#50 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Sony saw a cash cow and are milking it. Take out BC from the PS3 and sell HD remakes to people. Now the other companies are following suit. The only one I have is GoW collection, I recieved as a gift. But I am thankful I have a BC PS3 so I can play my PS2 library on my PS3. The games I want from Xbox are BC with my 360, so that's covered as well.