Have you ever finished a game in one continuous sitting?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Let's split this topic into two categories:

Truly legacy games, like from NES/C64/Atari/SNES/Genesis/Amiga times,

and contemporary ones.

So, have you ever finished a game in one continuous sitting without any interruptions?

And what was it?

Mine was Mirror's Edge, and I did it because I was very, very skeptical of this game and I wanted to show a middle finger to its limitations. Looking back now, funnily enough, I have fond memories of the game.

I don't remember any legacy games that I was able to finish in one sitting, apart from maybe Capcom's Commando from 1985/6. Of course in C64/NES times, games were so short, they were bound to be beaten in one sitting anyway, but it would've been impossible to do it the first time you had the chance to play a game.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39941 posts) -

Journey.

It was crazy. Bought a 12-pack of enery drinks, snacks, and ordered some pizza.

The most shameful thing I did that evening was not even taking the time for a bathroom break.

#3 Posted by groowagon (2798 posts) -

hmmmm.... propably never.

no wait, i did finish Limbo on one sitting lol

#4 Edited by kitty (114652 posts) -

Quite a few, although I haven't done anything like that recently.

#5 Posted by speedfog (3110 posts) -

Journey, Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor, Call of duty 4,... so many games.

#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (29569 posts) -

No, because that would be obsessive-compulsive behavior, and I'd need to seek professional help immediately.

#7 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15958 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

and contemporary ones.

So, have you ever finished a game in one continuous sitting without any interruptions?

And what was it?

Mine was Mirror's Edge, and I did it because I was very, very skeptical of this game and I wanted to show a middle finger to its limitations. Looking back now, funnily enough, I have fond memories of the game.

I don't remember any legacy games that I was able to finish in one sitting, apart from maybe Capcom's Commando from 1985/6. Of course in C64/NES times, games were so short, they were bound to be beaten in one sitting anyway, but it would've been impossible to do it the first time you had the chance to play a game.

No. I had a life outside of games, even when I was single. But, over the course of a week? Sure. Lots.

Edit:

I have one. It's an Amiga game so short I finished it in one sitting. Pretty lousy game.

Persian Gulf Inferno:

#8 Posted by htotheo (2759 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: I never got this, people posting on video game forums saying others don't have a life, at this point how can you judge? Also finishing a game in one sitting doesn't mean you don't have a life.

Anyways on to the topic. When I bought the Jak and Daxter trilogy I 100% the first one in a day, after 8 hours I was a bit spent hehe but definitely a fun trip through memory lane. As far as other games go I'm not to sure. Definately remeber finished a lot in a couple fo days or a week or so.

#9 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

and contemporary ones.

And what was it?

No. I had a life outside of games, even when I was single. But, over the course of a week? Sure. Lots.

Edit:

I have one. It's an Amiga game so short I finished it in one sitting. Pretty lousy game.

Persian Gulf Inferno:

LOL I played this game on C64. That version was truly atrocious.

#10 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Who ever plays through an entire game in 1 sitting needs to reassess their life

Unless it was journey. That i could understand

#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15958 posts) -

@htotheo said:

@jun_aka_pekto: I never got this, people posting on video game forums saying others don't have a life, at this point how can you judge? Also finishing a game in one sitting doesn't mean you don't have a life.

Anyways on to the topic. When I bought the Jak and Daxter trilogy I 100% the first one in a day, after 8 hours I was a bit spent hehe but definitely a fun trip through memory lane. As far as other games go I'm not to sure. Definately remeber finished a lot in a couple fo days or a week or so.

Many gamers here have posted similar comments directed at specific groups. Don't take it seriously. I don't. If it offends you. Sorry.

#12 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2920 posts) -

I used to . Back in 90s , some console games like Mario and few other games that didn't take long to finish . Spending entire day without eating anything or taking rest just to play a game to make a record is madness .

#13 Posted by 35cent (895 posts) -

Only the Sonic games on the Mega Drive but it's not as if I had a choice with those games.

#14 Posted by Snugenz (11839 posts) -

Depends on what you mean by finish, if you mean the narrative then yes in games like Diablo * etc., if you mean 100% finished (like every star in SMG) then no.

#15 Posted by bezza2011 (2408 posts) -

The only game I ever had time to sit through and totally complete was

The Bouncer on PS2 that game was like an hour long if that, and i just couldn't believe how short a game it was completed it a few times

#16 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Yes. I have a number of short games like Journey and Limbo.

#17 Posted by rogelio22 (2352 posts) -

Uncharted2 started it at 11am finished @12am... also most of the cod campaings since they were under 5hrs

#18 Posted by bobbetybob (19247 posts) -

Wow some people in this thread are idiots. Plenty of games are 2-5 hours long or can be completed that quickly, it's not crazy to complete that in one sitting. If you completed a 40 hour RPG in one go, yeah, that's a bit worrying.

Anyway I've completed CoD4 in one sitting because the game is like 4 hours long, I've probably done it with Resi 4 as well at some point because I know I did a 4-ish hour run. I think the only game I remember completing first time in one sitting (or in one afternoon at least) was Homefront, what a terrible, ridiculously short game that was.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11391 posts) -

Portal 2, a 4 hour Speedrun. I was surprised at the games length once you figured out all the Puzzles. Took me a few days the 1st time.

And Gears Of War 3, 6 hours. Now a continuous 6 hours is long, but you won't notice that when you're chainsawing Grubs in half.

And Beyond Two Souls. Finished it in one long ass 9 hour sitting, and unlike Gears, it really did feel like 9 hours had past. I was exhausted but thoroughly satisfied.

#20 Edited by Litchie (16267 posts) -

Sure. Only small games though. Limbo, Binding of Isaac, probably some more indie games, some NES games like SMB, SMB3...Also, the ridiculously bad and short campaign of CoD: MW2.. That's all I could gather from the top of my head.. I'm pretty sure I haven't completed a game in one sitting that require more than 5 hours or so.

#21 Posted by Nightflash28 (2074 posts) -

Back in the day, my buddy and I completed both Resident Evil 1 & 2 on the PS1 in just a night. That was such a blast. :)
Jurassic Park on the SNES because you HAD to complete it in one session; there was no way to save your game. Once you stopped, you had to start all over again.
Most of the old school games could be completed in one day, like Mega Man, Metroid, Mario, etc...

Recent ones? Not so many, but that's mostly because I just don't have the time anymore to game a whole day / night anymore. The downsides of adulthood.

#22 Posted by StormyJoe (5089 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: Halo 2 and Modern Warfare 2. I played the campaigns from beginning to end the day I got them.

#23 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Back in the day, my buddy and I completed both Resident Evil 1 & 2 on the PS1 in just a night. That was such a blast. :)

Jurassic Park on the SNES because you HAD to complete it in one session; there was no way to save your game. Once you stopped, you had to start all over again.

Most of the old school games could be completed in one day, like Mega Man, Metroid, Mario, etc...

Recent ones? Not so many, but that's mostly because I just don't have the time anymore to game a whole day / night anymore. The downsides of adulthood.

Jurassic Park on SNES was a great game however, I'd gladly play it again. I only played the Amiga version which is more or less the same, I think?

#24 Posted by Ghost120x (3786 posts) -

Many times when I let someone borrow my ps2 memory card and they lost it until I found another one. I can't remember the games but it was never an rpg. I was young then and would never do it now.

Most recently I played black ops 2 and beat it over a friends house at 2 in the morning. I saved $60. I also beat portal in one sitting because it was so good.

#25 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17453 posts) -

I finished Brothers a tale of two sons in one sitting just the other day. By the third hour I was starting to feel really out of it though.

Normally I play games for only a few hours spread out over time.

#26 Edited by BattleSpectre (5981 posts) -

From the ones I remember, Gears of War 2 co-op with my brother (awesome time), and Mass Effect. This is with bathroom breaks etc.

#27 Posted by blamix99 (1812 posts) -

Tekken 3,4,5,6 LOL

#28 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8842 posts) -

Legacy:

-Resident Evil 1. My second play through took an hour and a half

-Donkey Kong Country. A few years ago, I brought my Wii over to my friends place and we just played through the entirety of that game. Good times.

Contemporary:Journey. The game also took an hour and a half to beat.

#29 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Countless times with Halo on legendary.. I would start the game when my wife went to sleep and wouldn't get up until it was over. The original game was a masterpiece...

#30 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17453 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Who ever plays through an entire game in 1 sitting needs to reassess their life

Unless it was journey. That i could understand

Judgmental much? There are people that sit through multiplayer sessions that last longer than most games.

#31 Posted by CloudStrife213 (427 posts) -

Yes. I finished Gone Home in an hour. Didn't know why it got so high review scores except for the fact that the story was about lesbians.

Not proud of it at all.

#32 Edited by bulby_g (1090 posts) -

Yes, quite a few. Mainly arcade, NES etc. though. More recently I've finished games like Brothers and To The Moon in one go. Generally I wont play much for longer than 3-5 hours these days with the exception of days that I'm ill or something and housebound.

#33 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5388 posts) -

My second playthrough of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

#34 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16707 posts) -

The only one that immediately leaps to mind was Gunstar Super Heroes on the GBA back when I was younger. Granted, that game only has about six levels, each of which take like fifteen minutes TOPS. Apart from that I can't think of a legacy or recent game that I've beaten in one sitting, although there have been a few I've beaten in only two or three days.

EDIT: Nope, a friend of mine brought the game Homefront over to my house one time and we beat the campaign that night. It was not good :P

#35 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4566 posts) -

I finished MGS4 in one sitting over 18 hours at launch. I was emotionally and physically exhausted by the end of it. I'll never do it again, and I'll never forget it either. Fantastic experience.

#36 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

true legacy games clears (I call them 1 credit clears):

Mushihimesama Futari ver. 1.5 original, black label original, black label maniac (3 separate clears/modes)
Akai Katana
Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate
Ikaruga easy, normal (two separate clears)
Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles IIX (the 2nd installment)
Armed Police Batrider Easy Course, Normal Course (two separate clears)
Mushihimesama HD ver 1.5 original max
Progear (not a true 1CC as I was only able to 1-ALL the first loop and I didn't unlock the 2nd)
DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (resurrection) laser
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (2-ALL full 1 credit clear with braclet)

I'm currently working on a 1CC of Battle Garegga and a 2-ALL of Progear.

I'm scouring through my pics to find as many scoreboard pics as I can, but they're all over the place
all the ones I found can be seen here

but this was my most accomplished:

-------------

I've also one-sat some short games like:

P.N. 03
Shadows of the Damned
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Machinarium
Penumbra series
etc...

#37 Posted by musicalmac (22962 posts) -

I've been wracking my brain but can't come up with any game I've beaten in one sitting. I tend to take my time with campaigns.

#38 Edited by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

Solitaire and Minesweeper. Do those count?

#39 Posted by g0ddyX (3911 posts) -

Which ever game that doesnt have a save point or checkpoint which means you have no choice but to go through it all in one game.
Plenty of games used to be like that.
I think some speedruns of games count as well.
I did the classic Resident evil 2,3 and Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 in one playthrough with friends, food and bathroom breaks way back.

#40 Edited by mems_1224 (46931 posts) -

The only one I can think of is Journey because it was an hour long

#41 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3533 posts) -

Zombie Panic in Wonderland, about an hour long. Solid game.

#42 Edited by wolverine4262 (19222 posts) -

MW2 and Brothers, I think.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7119 posts) -

I have, but only games that take 1-3 hours to beat like Prince of Persia, Mike Tyson's Punch out, Mario 1-3, Mega Man games, etc.

#44 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

I did it a couple of times back in high school with my buddy.

One that comes straight to mind is Gears of War. The 360 had just released and my buddy had just got one with Gears (rich parents lol). We'd been pretty hyped about it for well over a year and once we finally sat down to play it we couldn't stop. Played that bitch in co-op all through the night. I remember finally being so tired that I passed out during Cole's credits rap.

#45 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3760 posts) -

I can remember completing the following games in one sitting...

• Crysis Warhead
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare
  • F.E.A.R

There must be a lot more but I can't remember. Nothing recent though... It's hard to keep my concentration for longer than 3 hours and with multiplayer games its even worse now. I remember in high school and collage I could spend a whole day playing Counter Strike, Battlefield or Unreal Tournament... 8-12 straight hours each Sunday BUT now I struggle to play a solid hour of a multiplayer game in one sitting.

#46 Posted by Boddicker (2686 posts) -

Hmmm......the only game I remember beating in one sitting is Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers for the NES. I got it for Xmas and beat it xmas day. I was pretty pissed.

I don't think I've ever beaten a 90's+ game unless we're talking fighting games lol. Those shouldn't count.

#47 Posted by FinalFighters (1425 posts) -

Journey, RAIN, Brothers: A tale of two sons, LIMBO, Deadlight, and HALO Anniversary

#48 Posted by lostrib (35635 posts) -

I think I beat the game Gun all in one day, so just stops for bathroom most likely.

#49 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Some shorter, more-recent games (indies/expansions)

Donkey Kong Country on the SNES

I believe I completed the Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST in one sitting (not all at once) as well as HL1, BS, OF, HL2, Ep1, and Ep2 (also not all at once).

Amnesia: Dark Descent which I started at around 11pm one night, and finished around 7am in the morning.

Portal, Penumbra, Serious Sam series, and I don't know.

Most of the time I just spend an hour or two at a time playing a game

#50 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

I know I've done it with Super Mario Brothers 3, and managed to do it without losing a life as well. (never ckipped any levels either)

I just really like SMB3.