Has Nintendo forgotten what made Star Fox series is really about?

• 65 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

Seeing everyone's talking about Star Fox: Zero, the latest Star Fox game but it does surprises me Nintendo forgotten that Star Fox as a whole, is what push Nintendo's console to a whole new level back on SNES & Nintendo 64. When Star Fox first arrived on SNES, Star Fox made history introducing Super FX into the cartridge rendering 3D polygons graphics 2D effects and making it what made Star Fox special because of it.

When Star Fox 64 debut into Nintendo 64, it also made history yet again introducing not just 3D action rail-shooting, the Rumble Pak provides force feedbacks from the the game taking damage, firing weapons to immerse the gamer and when it became a smashing hit, other game developers follow suit giving us vibration controllers that is today.

When Star Fox: Adventure debuted on Gamecube, Star Fox didn't offer anything that would make history for Gamecube, just a Zelda style gameplay on foot and very little dogfighting. Star Fox: Adventures has ever made me feel is how much it likely would have been accepted if it was Dinosaur Planet as originally intended. It wasn't a bad game but it had so little to do with Star Fox. Wasn't a great game either.

It still boggles my mind that Nintendo can't replicate or improve upon the experience that Star Fox SNES and Star Fox 64 gave us. And they need to stop thinking that those games need on-foot sections. So this bring to the equation, will Nintendo ever learn what made Star Fox special again?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The game is exactly the type of game we need to see more of--those which tread new ground and expect a bit more on the players end.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Star Fox was all about showing off new graphics

Pushing the limits of technology

SNES FX Chip, 64-bits on N64

THey forgot what star fox was all about.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

@Heirren: yeah man I agree completely. I tried playing Starfox 64 again the other day and the controls felt so hard to use compared to the WiiU motion controls. Having the freedom to shoot in different directions to the way you are flying feels so right. And this game is not easy either. Trying to build my scores up and I cannot get passed silver. The thing is I know this is down to player skill and not the controls. The game really becomes something special when you put some time into it and learn how to play, get combos etc.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

Well, I was in an argument with someone who wants them to forget even more about it. Hell, another argument long time before. Both involve a COMPLETE change of genre.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I think Nintendo is forgetting the whole 'what's gaming is about', not just Star Fox. They're currently a mess, a clusterf*ck.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Ive enjoyed the implementation of the Gyro. Also have enjoyed first person addition to Star Fox, its truly ground breaking. Its an awesome foundation to build upon. Star Fox Zero gave us a bunch of cool new stuff to the series, i love the diversity it brings. Land battle, space battle, on rails, free roam, in space ships etc. Its awesome, i cant wait for it to be more open like Star Citizen. Wont be long before we can afford it.

Also love they removed some of the padding to make it more accessible to casuals, its a good step in the right direction.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendoboy16

@silversix_ said:

I think Nintendo is forgetting the whole 'what's gaming is about', not just Star Fox. They're currently a mess, a clusterf*ck.

What? Like getting extorted in the worst ways possible, like on-disc DLC and microtransactions? Not even most amiibos have sunk that low.

If anything, there are a lot more that forget what gaming is all about these days (looking at you, David Cage).

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@silversix_ said:

What? Like getting extorted in the worst ways possible, like on-disc DLC and microtransactions? Not even most amiibos have sunk that low.

If anything, there are a lot more that forget what gaming is all about these days (looking at you, David Cage).

dunno, current Nintendo (and this is only getting worst when we get close to the NX unveiling) is like 2013's Microsoft, its a fucking mess. The only positive that's coming from the company is that a new Zelda is actually coming, as if this wasn't a given...

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I actually like the graphics of the original, not sure why exactly but it really appeals to me and I replay it quite a bit. I love the "Scramble" intro, the large robots carrying parts, the music, how your ship explodes and the sound effects. I just wish it was 60fps with no pop in or jaggies but other than that, I'd love a remaster. I also really enjoyed SF64 but I'd prefer it with bland textures instead.

That said, if you want a highly graphic Starfox type game, there are others that play similar, at least on PC there is.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

The title makes my head hurt. Just like the awful 20 year old graphics style they used on the new game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@ProtossRushX said:

That's how I feel, I was hoping for ground breaking for Star Fox: Zero but other then the Gyro, it just wasn't enough when I played the game with my daughter, I expected more coming from Nintendo. Should a Star Fox NX game exist, I be surprise if Nintendo can get it right. For Once!

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

As far as I can tell, Nintendo didn't forget. Star Fox was about doing new things and it looks like they did it again with Zero.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2580 Posts

I recently played Star Fox Zero, and it felt empty; I can complain about the controls which I dislike above anything else; but overall the game feel soulless.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@silversix_ said:

You are on point. Nintendo has turned into low end gaming at high end prices. If nintendo sold the wii u at 200 and the games at 40 or less they would have a much larger market IMO.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iandizion713

@davillain- said:
@ProtossRushX said:

That's how I feel, I was hoping for ground breaking for Star Fox: Zero but other then the Gyro, it just wasn't enough when I played the game with my daughter, I expected more coming from Nintendo. Should a Star Fox NX game exist, I be surprise if Nintendo can get it right. For Once!

I actually couldnt get my kids to play it. The older one who is pretty good at games wont play it at all. I couldnt get him to play Star Fox 64 3D either. He loves Kid Icarus Uprising to death though.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

I feel like Nintendo has something hot and then they let it go.

Star Fox 64 was freaking amazing. Since then, it's been down hill.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Maybe in making shovelware for Activision it was Platinum games who forgot what making good games was about.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@HalcyonScarlet: Star Fox 64 was only amazing to few, not too many find it appealing. That game has been hyped for ages and still people dont play Star Fox 64. You can see whats hot by looking at how they sell on Virtual Console.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Star Fox 64 was only amazing to few, not too many like that game.

You sure? I distinctly remember multiple people in my neighborhood owning it and us all playing 4 player dog fights it was definitely more popular then snes one.

People loved that game man some goldeneye some star fox 64 dog fights. That was hot for its time that was the best you could get if you think about it at that time.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

@ProtossRushX: I had to edit when i first typed that. I didnt play Nintendo back then, i rocked Sega and Playstation. All my friends were the same, i knew one dude who played Zelda, and i never really talked to him cause his mom never let him play with us.

I enjoyed Star Fox 64 3D, but for some reason, my kids dont care for the dog fighting. Im not sure what it is, maybe its the 3DS for them, but they dont like battling each other. But yeah, had it been online, i could have played with others dog fighting, not sure how fun it would have been.

All i want is a 4 player online coop game. Be like Monster Hunter outerspace.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Haven't played the new one, so no opinion on that... but I never felt it was some great series to begin with. The original titles were products of their time, and sure they were technically impressive games and fun enough to play. Nothing amazing though.

I think a lot of people have an inflated idea of the series past.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Haven't played the new one, so no opinion on that... but I never felt it was some great series to begin with. The original titles were products of their time, and sure they were technically impressive games and fun enough to play. Nothing amazing though.

pretty much this. Star Fox isn't Nintendo's forte. They thrive on excellent level design and taking advantage of physics in a game.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

I was coming to say the same thing, it was never really that big of a deal. He probably got popular with people using him in Smash more than for his own games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

The series was great when it came out, but has gone steadily down hill since then.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Star Fox 64 was only amazing to few, not too many find it appealing. That game has been hyped for ages and still people dont play Star Fox 64. You can see whats hot by looking at how they sell on Virtual Console.

I still got the n64, controllers, and rumble pack so I don't need the VC. But I decided to play star fox 64 again and for the first playthrough and a half (about 1-2 hours as each playthrough is about an hour) it was pure nostalgia, the sounds, voices, heavy rumble pack, made me go back. But after that the nostalgia wore off and I kept playing because it was fun. For about two weeks I played through it about three times a day, getting the secret levels I never got to when I was younger, finally fighting brain andross and beating him. The game was fun, jump in for an hour, jump out or try again and go a different path if you want. No large time commitment, no big story to remember.

The new star fox was really good. Took about 10 minutes to get used to the controls. Game was fun, took about 4 1/2 hours to get through one playthrough and I know there is a ton of stuff I missed. The games difficulty does ramp up in the last 1/3 but all the difficulty came from the actual game not the control scheme. The control scheme was fun but I had to realize that I was screwing myself up (I game in a rocking chair and I had no idea I rocked back and forth until I played this and the aiming was going up and down). Only downside is that I felt like I had to recalibrate the aiming a lot, but that is just one button press.

To get to the point, the rumble pak was cool bit it didn't make the game. Nobody I know played star fox because the controller would vibrate, at first it was cool, but the thing that gets me to play those types of game again is that they are simple games that still provide a challenge to master it have secrets to uncover without having to play for 200 hours. Don't got time for that anymore. And even as a kid I could only play video games for a little bit, it's just that now instead of my parents saying that I was done and to go outside and play, I have work and stuff.

Quick fun that doesn't require a lot of time, I thought that the current children would be all over that type of stuff.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

All you did was highlight how it has always been a rail shooter proped up by some hardware gimmick (super FX chip, rumble pack, wii u gamepad dual screen) so in a sense no they haven't.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iandizion713

@Hatiko: Yeah well said, its also fair to say my oldest is 8, so he finds it very difficult. He still played it for awhile, but then went to his other games. But hes same way with Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101. Hell only try them since i play them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendoboy16

@lamprey263 said:

Maybe in making shovelware for Activision it was Platinum games who forgot what making good games was about.

I wouldn't be surprised.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@silversix_ said:

You are on point. Nintendo has turned into low end gaming at high end prices. If nintendo sold the wii u at 200 and the games at 40 or less they would have a much larger market IMO.

At their reception? **** no! Even a lower price would have done **** all.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@davillain-:

When it comes to Nintendo the problem doesn't just lie with Star Fox. Nintendo has been losing their mojo for the past 15 yrs.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I always thought StarFox was just a technical showcase for whatever system it's on at the time. I mean the N64 iteration is litterally the same game built for more advanced hardware. Simple games that are worth a play through but the fun is over after that. The music sure is snappy, though.

Oh, shit. I'm forgetting about Adventures! Such an underrated game.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

The rumble feature doesn't work on Virtual Console games and that was a big part of Star Fox 64. It's one of the reasons I stayed away personally.

When I like to get a version of a game, new or old, I don't want it to be missing anything.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@emgesp said:

@davillain-:

When it comes to Nintendo the problem doesn't just lie with Star Fox. Nintendo has been losing their mojo for the past 15 yrs.

For Nintendo's sake, I hope they come back strong with NX. (We can only hope)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No they haven't it just got trumped by "Nintendo: We must make use of the Wii U gamepad, now we have 1 game to showcase the gamepad full functionality, see we told you the Wii U gamepad is good!" & of course "different way to play" :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

The original Starfox was made when Nintendo was a different company. One that actually cared about pushing true technical boundaries instead of tacking on gimmicky superficialities just to be different, otherwise using 10 year old tech. A company that was impassioned in their efforts, not currently lazyly using "uniqueness" to cover their lack of effort and content up.

I remember the first time I booted up the OG Starfox. That low humming, the ships being destroyed, boom.....Starfox! Mind blowing for the time.

Long ago.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

All they needed to do was make a rail shooter with tight controls, and let platinum run the show from there. Instead we got this stupid showcase for a control scheme that is counterintuitive.

Additionally it gimped the diverging paths of 64, doesn't maintain the charm of 64, and recycles so much shit from that game without moving that formula forward. I think the people who want no mans sky or wing commander from the game are idiots as they are missing the point of starfox, but Nintendo refuses to evolve some of their ips in logical ways.

This game should have been a no brainer, instead it's pretty close to my least favorite platinum game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nintendoboy16

@emgesp said:

@davillain-:

So since the start GameCube era then and NOT the N64 era? The last era of Nintendo you find worthy of "defending" to the point of allowing something like a revision of history (considering it was panned back then) akin to this?

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

most ppl forgot what Star Fox about

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

@davillain-:

So since the start GameCube era then and NOT the N64 era? The last era of Nintendo you find worthy of "defending" to the point of allowing something like a revision of history (considering it was panned back then) akin to this?

They peaked during the N64 era for the most part. Gamecube had some great titles as well, but I didn't find that Nintendo's quality as a whole increased, more so stagnated and eventually fell from then on.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emgesp

@jg4xchamp said:

All they needed to do was make a rail shooter with tight controls, and let platinum run the show from there. Instead we got this stupid showcase for a control scheme that is counterintuitive.

Additionally it gimped the diverging paths of 64, doesn't maintain the charm of 64, and recycles so much shit from that game without moving that formula forward. I think the people who want no mans sky or wing commander from the game are idiots as they are missing the point of starfox, but Nintendo refuses to evolve some of their ips in logical ways.

This game should have been a no brainer, instead it's pretty close to my least favorite platinum game.

Miyamoto has officially become George Lucas.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nintendoboy16

@emgesp said:
@jg4xchamp said:

If he's George Lucas, then I better hear some cheers for his retirement akin to Lucas selling Star Wars and Indiana Jones to Disney. But that I have a feeling that there won't be. It'll be more like Fox announcing no more Simpsons DVD's (oh boy, the hypocrisy over that).

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@jg4xchamp said:

If he's George Lucas, then I better hear some cheers for his retirement akin to Lucas selling Star Wars and Indiana Jones to Disney. But that I have a feeling that there won't be. It'll be more like Fox announcing no more Simpsons DVD's (oh boy, the hypocrisy over that).

Trust me, everyone outside the dedicated fan base will be cheering. You can't tell me Miyamoto hasn't been holding back Nintendo for the past 8 yrs.

Wii and Wii U control schemes were his creations if I'm not mistaken which I consider Nintendo's worst home consoles by a long shot. Dude is past his prime and should retire asap.

Also, love this quote from a Polygon article from last year.

"As for Nintendo's next hardware platform, code-named the NX, Miyamoto is stepping back from its development.

"Of course I am observing and looking at the hardware, but I am not actively participating and making decisions," he said."

Thank God

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nintendoboy16

@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Trust me, everyone outside the dedicated fan base will be cheering. You can't tell me Miyamoto hasn't been holding back Nintendo for the past 8 yrs.

Wii and Wii U control schemes were his creations if I'm not mistaken which I consider Nintendo's worst home consoles by a long shot. Dude is past his prime and should retire asap.

Oh, I so doubt it. I'll hear more "thank you, Miyamoto" than "**** you, Miyamoto", which is exactly what happened with George Lucas. Despite bringing a cultural phenomenon with Star Wars, there was a lot more "**** you, Lucas!" than "Thank you, Lucas!" (or if they did say the latter, it's sarcastically) when he sold Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Gamers, including Nintendo fans (even "critical" like you) are very inconsistent. Star Wars fans and general film fans were more consistent in how they view George Lucas. Lucas' reception is SO BAD, there is even a documentary knocking against him. Find me something like that with Miyamoto.

Like I said, Miyamoto's retirement will not be a day of honor. It will not be a day of celebration. It will be a day of mass hypocrisy.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@silversix_ said:

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

Oh, I so doubt it. I'll hear more "thank you, Miyamoto" than "**** you, Miyamoto", which is exactly what happened with George Lucas. Despite bringing a cultural phenomenon with Star Wars, there was a lot more "**** you, Lucas!" than "Thank you, Lucas!" (or if they did say the latter, it's sarcastically) when he sold Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Gamers, including Nintendo fans (even "critical" like you) are very inconsistent. Star Wars fans and general film fans were more consistent in how they view George Lucas. Lucas' reception is SO BAD, there is even a documentary knocking against him. Find me something like that with Miyamoto.

Like I said, Miyamoto's retirement will not be a day of honor. It will not be a day of celebration. It will be a day of mass hypocrisy.

The industry has sucked his di** for over 30 yrs so I think he's due for some criticism.

Miyamoto has done a lot of great things for the industry, but his track record is not as perfect as some would like to believe.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendoboy16

@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The industry has sucked his di** for over 30 yrs so I think he's due for some criticism.

Miyamoto has done a lot of great things for the industry, but his track record is not as perfect as some would like to believe.

"Miyamoto has done a lot of great things for the industry"

And you think you still have grounds to say that after you freaking compared him to George Lucas? A man who lost ALL respect in the film industry/Star Wars fandom once he altered the original trilogy and released the prequels?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16: Lucas deserved to lose respect. I wouldn't argue that point based on the prequels, but of his changes to the originals and then his attempt to eradicate the original releases.

**** him. He has no right to do that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nintendoboy16

@MirkoS77 said:

@nintendoboy16: Lucas deserved to lose respect. I wouldn't argue that point based on the prequels, but of his changes to the originals and then his attempt to eradicate the original releases.

**** him. He has no right to do that.

That's implying I was defending him for it, which I wasn't, more so calling out those who call out Miyamoto for being MUCH like Lucas (what emg did) and go out and still praise him for past works, which not even Lucas' critics do.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16: well, I'd agree Miyamoto is like Lucas to an extent in the sense that his best work is far past him, but he should always remain respected because even though much of his current work is not really all that amazing in comparison (aside Pikmin) he at least hasn't tried to go back and alter his work in replacment. Lucas has.

As such, he's actively deteriorated any respect doing that. My respect for Miyamoto will never diminish (even given his recent misses) UNLESS he goes back to his older works, changes them, while not making the originals also available. I'm really pissed at Lucas for what he's done, and he deserves severe criticism for it.