Happy Birthday SEGA Genesis!

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

On August 14th, 1989, the king of kings, the champion of champions, the G.O.A.T, was released in North America: The SEGA Genesis. Rather than defiling the purity of this momentous occasion by mentioning that other console in some common versus thread, I have decided to create a special thread just for our beloved Genesis. I would have made this thread back in October to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Mega Drive's Japanese release, but we all know what happened on this site...

So anyway, here in this thread we celebrate this system's greatness, and so I ask my fellow Genesis brethren, what are your favorite games for it, and what are your favorite memories associated with it? I shall start (it's gonna be long, so feel free to skip):

Before I got my Genesis, the only systems I had were my parents' Intellivision and the PC, so most of my early days were spent playing games like Auto-Racing, Snafu, Math Rabbit, etc. The only time I played anything different was when I went to my cousins' house to play on their NES and SNES for games like Mario and Star Wars. In the summer of '93, however, my life changed forever. My mom is a doctor and my dad is an engineer, so as you can imagine, they're both huge on education, and so striving to be the best has always been a goal of mine. That year, I had started attending a new school, and in the beginning, I did have some difficulty adjusting because it was a a level up from what I was used to, and mostly because I had an old bat of a teacher. Still, I continued to work hard, and by the end of the year, I was one of the top of my class, and I received the highest award they used to give out: The #1 with a star royal purple medallion. When I showed it to my parents, they were so proud, that they immediately drove me to Toys 'R Us to get me a gift, which I'm sure you know what it was. :)

Ah, yes, I still remember picking out my Genesis, and having to decide whether I wanted to get Sonic 1 or Sonic 2. I went with Sonic 2, of course, and to make the situation even better, my Genesis came with another game, which eventually became my favorite game of all time: Streets of Rage 2. When we got home, and after my dad plugged in everything, I flipped that switch to on and... Boom... that was the moment when I really fell in love with gaming. Seeing Sonic 2 for the first time in all of its brilliant colors was simply mind blowing. I often like to compare it to what it was like when I saw the very first Crysis 1 trailer, but this was even more astounding. The color, the movement, the music, (oh, the music!), it was simply stupendous. It was just completely on another level than Mario, and I have never been so blown away by a game since.

Then just a few weeks later in July, the bigger change to my life occurred: the birth of my little bro. The day he was born, I will never forget it. I remember waking up at 4:00 in the morning to see my dad combing his hair, and my mom sitting upright in her bed. They told me to hurry up and get ready, and once I did, we went to the hospital. After a day of staying with my mom and shopping for baby clothes at the mall (my brother was born a month earlier than expected), I saw my baby bro born at 4:12 pm.

So now you might be wondering what does any of this have to do with the Genesis? Don't worry, I'm getting to it. That night when my dad and I went home, instead of going to sleep, we decided to play video games together. We stayed up past midnight playing so much Streets of Rage 2, and for the second time ever, we actually beat it. Mind you, today I can beat SoR 2 on Mania difficulty in my sleep, but back then, I was a little kid, and to beat a game with your dad, those are the type of memories that you always cherish. After we won, with the credits still rolling, my dad then said to me, "Now that you have a partner, you have someone new to play games with," and he was right. My little bro and I have played so many games together since (not so much anymore, because of our age, and also because he plays nothing but Quake Live and AoM now :( ), but those times in the 90's, they were really special. He was the Tails to my Sonic, and so whenever I hear the "Endless Mine" theme from Sonic 3, I can't help but get a little choked up, because it takes me back to the days when we were both laying on our bellies on the family room floor just playing video games together. So yeah, those are my precious memories with the Genesis. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, as for the real reason why we're here, let's talk about the games! The Genesis has by far the greatest library of video games, imo, and that is why I still play it the most out of all of my consoles. Like I wrote earlier, Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite game of all time, and Sonic is right up there with it, but there's so much more. I feel like the Genesis library gets so overlooked these days, and maybe that will change after the SEGA movie that's being done by the guys that made "The Social Network" comes out, but right now, it does not get enough love. So to help remedy this situation a little, I shall list what I deem to be the best of the SEGA Genesis:

• Streets of Rage 1-3
  • Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Alien Soldier
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • MUSHA
  • Thunder Force II-IV
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shinobi III: The Return of the Ninja Master
  • Shinobi: Shadow Dancer
  • Ranger X
  • Ristar
  • Herzog Zwei
  • Comix Zone
  • Eternal Champions
  • Mega Turrican
  • X-Men 1-2
  • Batman: The Video Game
  • Earthworm Jim 1-2
  • Two Crude Dudes
  • Rocket Knight Adventures I-II
  • Golden Axe I-III
  • Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
  • MK I-III
  • Steel Empire
  • Wings of Wor
  • Ecco: The Dolphin
  • Whip Rush
  • Twinkle Tale
  • Alex Kidd
  • Bonoanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • After Burner II
  • Outrun
  • Super Hang On
  • Crusader of Centy
  • Mutant League Hockey
  • Mutant League Football
  • Joe Montana Football
  • Bill Walsh College Football ‘95
  • NHL '94
  • Vectorman 1-2
  • Gargoyles
  • Toe Jam and Earl 1-2
  • Gaiares
  • Rolling Thunder 1-2
  • Arrow Flash
  • Phantasy Star II-IV
  • Shining Force I-II
  • Gley Lancer
  • Verytex
  • Zero Wing
  • Monster World IV
  • Dune
  • Battle Mania Daiginjou
  • Land Stalker
  • Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter
  • RoboCop vs. Terminator
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
  • Elemental Master
  • Fire Shark
  • Cyborg Justice
  • Cool Spot
  • Dragon’s Fury
  • Blades of Vengeance
  • Decap Attack
  • Pulseman
  • Altered Beast
  • Shadowrun
  • Road Rash 1-3
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • Dynamite Heady
  • Panorama Cotton
  • Truxton
  • Sagaia
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
  • Tiny Toons I-II
  • Mystical Fighter
  • Sub-Terrania
  • Langrisser II
  • Quack Shot
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Aladdin
  • Syndicate
  • Toy Story
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Strider
  • Splatter House II-III
  • Eliminate Down
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Grind Stormer
  • Samurai Shodown
  • The Punisher
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  • Mickey Mania
  • Taz
  • Yu Yu Hakussho
  • Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety
  • Virtua Racing
  • Star Cruiser

Then when I combine these with the SEGA CD and 32X libraries, it's just way too many good games to list!

And finally, we can't have a Genesis thread without bringing up the commercials! Here are my favorites:

The best games, the best controllers, the best soundtracks, the greatest commercials, and just the best system overall. Happy birthday, SEGA Genesis!

I leave you with the Sonic 3 ending credits :D

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Damn dude I miss SEGA consoles enough as it is.:(

Should break out my Genesis for a bit.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i actually never owned one, i had a master system. some of my friends had mega drives. my favourite game on the thing by a country mile:

Toejam and Earl

I even figured out part of the main theme on guitar.

Also mr renegade, I found my physical discs for x-wing vs TIE fighter

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I was typing up a generic Sega Genesis birthday thread, and was going to ask these twats their favorite game. I will gladly step aside for this thread though, but it's going to be wasted on plebs.

Anyway Shining Force 2 is my favorite game on the genesis, as I just love that genre in general. Valkyria Chronicles is probably my favorite Sega game at this point given how much I've played it, and oh man some of the music for sega games. Streets of Rage soundtrack is fucking god. I was a Super Nintendo child, but one of my boys was a Genesis child. That's how we played so many of the great games from that era, my favorite memory from that era though as much as I love Shining Force 2 (friend hated it, but I loved the shit out of it): Mother fucking Vector Man. That guy was hype.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

My first console ever. It was a piece of crap imo. I wanted a SNES

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic

@Legend002: So you had to troll this thread?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Legend002 said:

My first console ever. It was a piece of crap imo. I wanted a SNES

die slow, lol jk

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Contra hard Corps is pure awesomeness in cartridge form.

Wish I could have had a Genesis back in the day along with the SNES. One system I truly regret never owning.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Although I'm more of a Nintendo fan, this is such an amazing thread. One of the best in a long time. Love the bits about you and your bro.

Phantasy Star IV and Sonic 3/Knuckles are my favorite Genesis games.

I really want to play Ecco the Dolphin; it seems so weird and unsettling in a good way. Just haven't had the time.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Genesis: the console for rose-colored glasses wearing nostalgists everywhere.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I need to build up my Genesis collection

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

Anyhow when I bought my Genesis it came with Sonic 2....which is my favorite video game character ever. Yeah I know there is some rust on the brand now...but I'll always have a soft spot for Sonic. And pick up the games still. Some I like...some not so much...but you can't forget your first love. Which helps Nintendo since they have Sonic now. No way I skip their systems.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Blabadon said:

No

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@Blabadon said:

To be fair to the genesis, almost anything in 90's is something rose-colored glasses wearing Nolstagists love...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@Blabadon said:

Some people can never set their bias aside. FYI the Genesis usually gets good reviews even today for it's place in history.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@Blabadon said:

Some people can never set their bias aside. FYI the Genesis usually gets good reviews even today for it's place in history.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jg4xchamp

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@Blabadon said:

To be fair to the genesis, almost anything in 90's is something rose-colored glasses wearing Nolstagists love...

That mostly applies to some of the popular shit for the n64/ps1, because of how awkward 3d games were, but the snes and genesis, their best stuff is still fundamentally fantastic.

Partially because 2D games stopped being made for awhile, and mostly because even with a modern indie scene (one I enjoy), those games, a large, disgusting majority of them are working off foundations that are almost entirely built from the genesis/snes era. Modern games do the quality of life stuff better (ease of use, less frustration through death), but pure rewarding gameplay and design? **** no. Plenty of the Genesis and Snes's best stuff SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITS on the 2d dick rides of today.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's ridiculous to see how few games on TC's list are actually good. Especially Streets of Rage. Don't know why they messed up so badly with the sequel.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@LJS9502_basic: Yeah, I miss them too. They were one of a kind, and I'm right there with you on Sonic.

@CrownKingArthur: That's great! X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, hmm... I think I could write another fat thread just about it and other Star Wars games of the 90's and early 00's. :P

@GreySeal9: Thanks. I'm sure if my brother actually reads this thread, he'll call me a baby, but I don't care, lol.

@jg4xchamp: Yeah, Shining Force II is pretty good. I have never played Valkyria Chronicles before though. I've often thought about getting it, but it would definitely be outside of my comfort zone. I'm also considering playing Front Mission 3, just because of the mechs, so maybe I'll finally get VC if I like it.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I was typing up a generic Sega Genesis birthday thread, and was going to ask these twats their favorite game. I will gladly step aside for this thread though, but it's going to be wasted on plebs.

Anyway Shining Force 2 is my favorite game on the genesis, as I just love that genre in general. Valkyria Chronicles is probably my favorite Sega game at this point given how much I've played it, and oh man some of the music for sega games. Streets of Rage soundtrack is fucking god. I was a Super Nintendo child, but one of my boys was a Genesis child. That's how we played so many of the great games from that era, my favorite memory from that era though as much as I love Shining Force 2 (friend hated it, but I loved the shit out of it): Mother fucking Vector Man. That guy was hype.

Shining Force 2 and Phantasy Star IV

To me, hands down the best games for the Genesis and two of the greatest RPG's ever made.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renegade_Fury

nvm

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Legend002: So you had to troll this thread?

Well no. I had to at least acknowledge the anniversary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

**** me what a thread. :') Fitting for the best console ever.

You're missing Rolling Thunder 2 in the OP, though. :( Classic game. I'd love a new one or even a remake.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Renegade_Fury

@Aljosa23: You know what, I did see Rolling Thunder when I was going through games, and I forgot. I'll fix that now!

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Even though I only owned a SNES as a kid, I use to play on the Genesis ether at my relative's house or my friend's house. It was a great system.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Fond memories of it and CD and 32x attachments and all the games with them.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Renegade_Fury

Oh, and I think it's only fair that I post the "endless mine" theme in case you've never heard it before. It's the music for the last versus stage in Sonic 3:

Loading Video...

Hear how lovely it is?! *sniff*

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@Heil68 said:

Fond memories of it and CD and 32x attachments and all the games with them.

I have those attachments...CD fits great....32X is kind of ugly though. I took the console down to get new carpeting...since then I can't get the CD to work. I must have messed up the connections. I will have to get it up and running again. The Genesis is my second favorite console ever....closely behind my Dreamcast.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

wow, i got all emotional reading that. i remember being glued to the tv playing streets of rage 2, street fighter II championship edition, Sonic 2 (it was bundled with the console) and gunstar heroes so much that my mom had to take away the system and hide it because it was destracting me from doing my homework. lol

As for the king of kings? Nah, that would be the Dreamcast imo.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I remember wanting a Mega Drive for about a year. It was nice when I got one with Sonic 1 and 2 for Christmas. Still one of the best presents I ever got for Christmas.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jg4xchamp
Loading Video...

I have never seen this video in my fucking life, and now I want to play this game. It's so fucking stupid lol.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Woah, Streets of Rage is awesome (hands down). If anybody asks me for a beatem up game I will recommend SoR.

I will soon be getting a PS3 and the awesome collection of 40 SEGA games (with SoR 1-3 included).

There was a guy that made a remake of SoR from scratch (worked like 6 years on that game). Hats of for that dude. :-)

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Magic, from start to finish, and some of the greatest music of the 16-bit era.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:

And the well-beloved SNES is no exception.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I was 20 yrs old when i first had a genesis and the likes of Sonic 1+2 just blew my mind at the time. Later i played SoR2 and again the music in the game blew me away for a lowly 16bit console, i have so many great memories from that era.

I do still have it tucked away ina cupboard somewhere i should dig it out and dust her off again, ive been playing the sega collection on my ps3 which has all of the main titles on it but theres somethin very cool about playing them on the actual console.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Two of the best and least known Genesis games.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

SNES > Genesis.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@LJS9502_basic: I'm also there with you on the the CD and 32X. I leave the SEGA CD attached to my Genesis, but I don't for the 32X, because not only do I think it's ugly, but I get paranoid about whether it's bending the pins in the Genesis cartridge slot, lol. It has good games like Knuckles' Chaotix and Shadow Squadron, but yeah, it's kind of a clumsy device.

@FinalFighters: Memories, right? Oh, and that's funny. My mom would threaten to do the same to me, so i pretty much stuck to playing games on Saturdays. :P

The Dreamcast, i love too, and it was my second favorite SEGA console back in the day. These days I prefer the Saturn over it, mainly because NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Mega Man, and many other 2D games have aged so incredibly gracefully, but I still think it's a great system.

@jg4xchamp: Holy shit, that's funny. It reminds me of those incredibly stupid Captain Underpants books that my brother used to read.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

Genesis wrecked the SNES depending on your age,

NBA Jam <3.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Shining Force 2 and Phantasy Star IV

To me, hands down the best games for the Genesis and two of the greatest RPG's ever made.

Amen to that brother!!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Dasein808: I have the Saturn version of NBA JAM T.E, and I love the shit out of it. I used to play it a lot with my dad, and I still play it with friends today just because of how awesome it is. Best basketball game ever.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

The good o'l Sega Genesis.. That brings back memories..

Although I'd give the "g.o.a.t" title to the SNES.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

My favorites:

• Sonic 1
  • Sonic 2
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shinobi 3
  • Super HangOn
  • Vectorman
  • Vectorman 2
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Comix Zone
  • NBA Jam
  • Jungle Book
  • Cool Spot
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Micro Machines 2, Lost Vikings, Streets of Rage, Battle Toads vs Double Dragon, Zombies Ate my Neighbors. Loved the Genesis/Mega drive

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

WTF is a Sega Genesis? Oh you mean a Sega MEGA DRIVE?

In Herzog Zwei still has the best strategy game ever seen on a console!