Halo vs Goldeneye

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
One thing i have been wondering what was bigger halo or goldeneye (on nintendo 64)? Both games were extremly popular. Both games set the bar for FPS. Both games sold their consoles. Both games are Great. So what game made a bigger impact on the industry?
mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

One thing i have been wondering what was bigger halo or goldeneye (on nintendo 64)? Both games were extremly popular. Both games set the bar for FPS. Both games sold their consoles. Both games are Great. So what game made a bigger impact on the industry?EmperorZeruel

Halo was bigger, had more fans, and ended up enduring to a 3rd title while Goldeney ended with a crappy rehash. Most people keep talking about it because of nastolgia. Do me a favor, go back and play throught it again, play the multiplayer and see if you don't pull your hair out halfway through. The lack of dual analogs is really a pain.

sh0vet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sh0vet
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

That lack of a mouse is a shame.

Goldeneye on the n64 was a real blast.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Halo gave life the console FPS period. Before Halo there were very few FPS games and worst - FPS gamers. Most people could not comprehend the first person view and hated it. They were so use to seeing a person as they moved that they always ended up looking at the sky or floor as they played.

After Halo came out, it go so popular that First person view became practical, and it was easy to find people to challenge.

Avatar image for VideoGameRosado
VideoGameRosado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VideoGameRosado
Member since 2003 • 1264 Posts

Golden eye has changed the FPS industry at that time. We all know Doom started it, but Goldeneye was a "Masterpiece". IMO, which should be a fact, it started the whole 3D FPS. Halo has set the bar as well for FPS today. However, it has not set the bar as high as goldeneye.

This is how i see it. Doom is the grandfather. Goldeneye is the father, and Halo is the son. Silly analogy, but that's how i see it.

Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Carmilla31
Member since 2005 • 3335 Posts

Golden eye has changed the FPS industry at that time. We all know Doom started it, but Goldeneye was a "Masterpiece". IMO, which should be a fact, it started the whole 3D FPS. Halo has set the bar as well for FPS today. However, it has not set the bar as high as goldeneye.

This is how i see it. Doom is the grandfather. Goldeneye is the father, and Halo is the son. Silly analogy, but that's how i see it.

VideoGameRosado
What about Quake that made online fps a reality? Or Half Life who made fps story telling and scripted events amazing?
ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

[QUOTE="EmperorZeruel"]One thing i have been wondering what was bigger halo or goldeneye (on nintendo 64)? Both games were extremly popular. Both games set the bar for FPS. Both games sold their consoles. Both games are Great. So what game made a bigger impact on the industry?mtron32

Halo was bigger, had more fans, and ended up enduring to a 3rd title while Goldeney ended with a crappy rehash. Most people keep talking about it because of nastolgia. Do me a favor, go back and play throught it again, play the multiplayer and see if you don't pull your hair out halfway through. The lack of dual analogs is really a pain.

If by crappy rehash you mean Goldeneye: Rogue Agent then I'll forgive you.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I think without goldeneye's influence on console FPSs halo could not have been what it is.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
The DOOM and QUAKE series started it all with FPS and the copy cats came, and then GOLDENEYE started the craze on consoles. HALO has played a big part for sure, but those other titles got it started.
hello12367890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hello12367890
Member since 2005 • 977 Posts

[QUOTE="EmperorZeruel"]One thing i have been wondering what was bigger halo or goldeneye (on nintendo 64)? Both games were extremly popular. Both games set the bar for FPS. Both games sold their consoles. Both games are Great. So what game made a bigger impact on the industry?mtron32

i completely agree a few of my friends arent really in to games and when i go over there house they weall ways play goldeneye and i cant stand playing it.but back in the day itwas great
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
The the overall impact to the console industry, Goldeneye.
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts

Halo gave life the console FPS period. Before Halo there were very few FPS games and worst - FPS gamers. Most people could not comprehend the first person view and hated it. They were so use to seeing a person as they moved that they always ended up looking at the sky or floor as they played.

After Halo came out, it go so popular that First person view became practical, and it was easy to find people to challenge.

Blue-Sky

You do know that Goldeneye sold more than eight million copies right? Which is the same as Halo 2 and more than Halo. And on top of that, the game hasgotten great reviewsall around.So to say that people hated FPS games beforeHalois just like saying the Halo games are a failure.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
I think we have to consider the contexts of each game when comparing them. There is no doubt in my mind that Goldeneye was the better title in relation to its context, but play it now and it feels unwieldy and clumsy. Halo was an extremely solid game and its use of the dual analogs was an important evolution but it does not have the same impact on me. Anyway, Perfect Dark trumps them both in my opinion.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
More games have tried to copy the Halo formulae and its a superior game that will age better. Goldeneye has been a blurry mess with bad performance and clunky controls for a long while now.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
goldeneye was ahead of its time for when it came out, halo was just another shooter that we had seen that that point, i dont want to say it defined the FPS genre but, it definatly made alot of rules for it today
MunkeySpunk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MunkeySpunk69
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
that really isn't fair though seeing as hhow i cant find an fps to top goldeneye
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
goldeneye was ahead of its time for when it came out, halo was just another shooter that we had seen that that point, i dont want to say it defined the FPS genre but, it definatly made alot of rules for it todayAnimal-Mother
There had never been an FPS like Halo outside the PC and few could stand up to it at the time.
muff07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muff07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

Goldeneye revolutionised the console FPS especially in offline multiplayer letting players chose maps and weapons (a rare occurance before that point in time), Halo revolutionised Online multiplayer but in the campaign did nothing other shooters hadn't done already except using a diffrent artistic design model. Goldeneye sold over 8 million units around the same as Halo 2 and more than Halo. Goldeneye also spawned one of the greatest games ever as its sequel Perfect Dark (A game that along with Metroid gave women a voice in gaming instead of the usual machoism of FPS'S) if anything Rare did more that generation to forward gaming than any other dev team of a similar size, and if you look at current inovation it seams as if gaming is going backwards instead of forwards.

Credit where its due Halo made online multiplayer a reality on consoles but it doesn't hold a candle to Goldeneyes 700 watt light in terms of invovation (for there respective periods).

Gamespot also gave Goldeneye a 9.8 (for people that only rely on gmaescore reviews)

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EmperorZeruel
recently i went back and played goldeneye on my nintendo 64, from playing it i noticed it does show its age but it will always be remembered. I also played perfect dark on my nintendo 64, Perfect dark was better ten goldeneye and the guns are still awsome especially the laptopgun, Perfect dark shows its age a lot better then golden eye. Now i wonder how its going to be when i were to put in halo ten years later will it be still great or would it be forgotten.
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
This really isn't a matter of opinion. If you compare both games during the time they came out Goldeneye was obviously more groundbreaking.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
Put it this way, playing Goldeneye now would be painful. Playing Halo is still fun, playing Quake 3, Doom, UT etc... is still fun. Goldeneye was just the first FPS on a console that didnt completely suck, nothing more.
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kratos_OMEGA

I think without goldeneye's influence on console FPSs halo could not have been what it is.laughingman42

Perfect Dark as well.

RBlair21088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RBlair21088
Member since 2004 • 200 Posts
Goldeneye deserves a ton of credit and was a great game but truly halo ushered in the mass market FPS. Controls alone have been permanantly changed by halo what is the lasting impact of goldeneye?
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kratos_OMEGA

Put it this way, playing Goldeneye now would be painful. Playing Halo is still fun, playing Quake 3, Doom, UT etc... is still fun. Goldeneye was just the first FPS on a console that didnt completely suck, nothing more.TerroRizing

Did you even play it when it first came out?

mengo816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mengo816
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]I think without goldeneye's influence on console FPSs halo could not have been what it is.Kratos_OMEGA

Perfect Dark as well.

I agree. Perfect Dark was the best FPS. The only problem with it is that it was released during the N64's last days.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerroRizing

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"]Put it this way, playing Goldeneye now would be painful. Playing Halo is still fun, playing Quake 3, Doom, UT etc... is still fun. Goldeneye was just the first FPS on a console that didnt completely suck, nothing more.Kratos_OMEGA

Did you even play it when it first came out?

Yes, it was terrible compared to pc FPS at the time. Halo was the first console shooter that could compete with PC FPS. Even go back and read the reviews for Halo, /End Thread

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#27 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I would put it this way, Golden Eye/Perfect Dark set the standard for console FPS, and Halo perfected it. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

I'm sorry, but this one isn't even a close call. To that idiot who said FPS wasn't relevant before HALO, don't post again and go have your mom make you a snack pack.

Pre-Goldeneye there was Doom, Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfand Quake that were making waves on the FPS scene. An established scene on PC. N64 launched with the promise of GE, but the game was delayed. If anyone remembers buying one at launch like me, once you got through Mario 64 and Wave Race, all you did was stare at the images of GE on the back of the console's box.

Then Star Wars Shadows of the Empire came out for N64 adding to a growing FPS genre on N64. FPS was established on consoles. Finally GoldenEye was released with perfect graphics and more importantly, perfect multi-player. The game dominated, and while it didn't do much that was groundbreaking, it did bring the MP experience to the masses and make the game a cultural phenomenon. Anyone in college when it came out can attest to that. What it did was perfect a recipe that was already in existence.

Halo simply used the same recipe with higher quality ingredients. Without GE, there would be no Halo. And that is said with respect to Halo - it has become a cultural phenomenon as well.

I recently broke out my N64 and played GE again. Still holds up. Gameplay is great and the graphics, while aged, are still nice.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerroRizing

I'm sorry, but this one isn't even a close call. To that idiot who said FPS wasn't relevant before HALO, don't post again and go have your mom make you a snack pack.

Pre-Goldeneye there was Doom, Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfand Quake that were making waves on the FPS scene. An established scene on PC. N64 launched with the promise of GE, but the game was delayed. If anyone remembers buying one at launch like me, once you got through Mario 64 and Wave Race, all you did was stare at the images of GE on the back of the console's box.

Then Star Wars Shadows of the Empire came out for N64 adding to a growing FPS genre on N64. FPS was established on consoles. Finally GoldenEye was released with perfect graphics and more importantly, perfect multi-player. The game dominated, and while it didn't do much that was groundbreaking, it did bring the MP experience to the masses and make the game a cultural phenomenon. Anyone in college when it came out can attest to that. What it did was perfect a recipe that was already in existence.

Halo simply used the same recipe with higher quality ingredients. Without GE, there would be no Halo. And that is said with respect to Halo - it has become a cultural phenomenon as well.

I recently broke out my N64 and played GE again. Still holds up. Gameplay is great and the graphics, while aged, are still nice.

slduncanlaw

Halo doesnt have much to do with goldeneye at all, it was a pc game that microsoft bought up to be released for their console. Console shooters had been done before goldeneye, and im sure Halo would have happened even without goldeneye.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Goldeneye showed that FPS could be done on consoles, but halo showed it could be done really well.
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts
i say perfect dark and the spiritual successor to golden eye. also perfect dark was the first FPS that i was able to play with dual analog sticks. you could play using two controlers at once to achieve this. i thought it was really cool when i first did it. i never thought it would catch on to be the standard for console FPS. i find it funny that so many people list halo as the first dual analog FPS on consoles as there were many before it. including a few on the ps2.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TerroRizing

i say perfect dark and the spiritual successor to golden eye. also perfect dark was the first FPS that i was able to play with dual analog sticks. you could play using two controlers at once to achieve this. i thought it was really cool when i first did it. i never thought it would catch on to be the standard for console FPS. i find it funny that so many people list halo as the first dual analog FPS on consoles as there were many before it. including a few on the ps2.frankeyser

Who the hell would use two controllers to control a game?

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TerroRizing
Only on System Wars could Goldeneye win this poll, everyone knows that Halo has impacted the gaming industry much much more than GoldenEye could have ever even dreamt of.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

goldeneye is the father of console's FPS like it or not, even medal of honor for the ps1 used dual analog years before halo

azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts

Blue-Sky

actually the fps's that came out before halo were very good. goldeneye, perfect dark, quake 2& 3, and although i may be mistaken, jet force gemini was fps too.

goldeneye brought life to the console fps, not halo. halo did redifine it with using the second analog stick. but without goldeneye, i dont believe games like halo would exist.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Only on System Wars could Goldeneye win this poll, everyone knows that Halo has impacted the gaming industry much much more than GoldenEye could have ever even dreamt of.TerroRizing

Goldeneye sold almost the same of halo 2!

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EmperorZeruel
Another thing about goldeneye was when they relesed the sequel perfect dark for the nintendo 64, it was a big change from the 1st to the 2nd. The graphics were alot better more weapons were added and coop was added. There was nt as much of a change from halo 1 to halo 2, yes the graphics were better but there wasnt as many new weapons added compared to golden eye to perect dark.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TerroRizing

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"]Only on System Wars could Goldeneye win this poll, everyone knows that Halo has impacted the gaming industry much much more than GoldenEye could have ever even dreamt of.JuarN18

Goldeneye sold almost the same of halo 2!

Sales and impact on industry arent the same thing.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TerroRizing

Another thing about goldeneye was when they relesed the sequel perfect dark for the nintendo 64, it was a big change from the 1st to the 2nd. The graphics were alot better more weapons were added and coop was added. There was nt as much of a change from halo 1 to halo 2, yes the graphics were better but there wasnt as many new weapons added compared to golden eye to perect dark. EmperorZeruel

yes perfect dark is better than Goldeneye, despite sales figures.

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
The only thing golden eye had that halo does not is simple.. proximity mines... It was fun to create a defense perimeter and set traps everywhere!
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

azshorty2003

actually the fps's that came out before halo were very good. goldeneye, perfect dark, quake 2& 3, and although i may be mistaken, jet force gemini was fps too.

goldeneye brought life to the console fps, not halo. halo did redifine it with using the second analog stick. but without goldeneye, i dont believe games like halo would exist.

halo was being made for the MAC then got ported over to the xbox.... bungie did't set out to make a FPS on consoles (at first)...
dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts

Goldeneye revolutionised the console FPS especially in offline multiplayer letting players chose maps and weapons (a rare occurance before that point in time), Halo revolutionised Online multiplayer but in the campaign did nothing other shooters hadn't done already except using a diffrent artistic design model. Goldeneye sold over 8 million units around the same as Halo 2 and more than Halo. Goldeneye also spawned one of the greatest games ever as its sequel Perfect Dark (A game that along with Metroid gave women a voice in gaming instead of the usual machoism of FPS'S) if anything Rare did more that generation to forward gaming than any other dev team of a similar size, and if you look at current inovation it seams as if gaming is going backwards instead of forwards.

Credit where its due Halo made online multiplayer a reality on consoles but it doesn't hold a candle to Goldeneyes 700 watt light in terms of invovation (for there respective periods).

Gamespot also gave Goldeneye a 9.8 (for people that only rely on gmaescore reviews)

muff07
I completely agree. Goldeneye sucked me in so badly that it was the only game I was playing for a good portion of the year it came out.I have fond memories of playing multiplayer and destroying most of the opposition. Good times. :)
dispator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dispator
Member since 2005 • 570 Posts

Put it this way, playing Goldeneye now would be painful. Playing Halo is still fun, playing Quake 3, Doom, UT etc... is still fun. Goldeneye was just the first FPS on a console that didnt completely suck, nothing more.TerroRizing

Agreed,and please yeah goldeneye was a great game to play split screen,only couse no other shooter did that on the console at teh time,and also the game had some cool death animations :) but i think people are giving it far too much credit,without great PC fps games like doom2,quake and duke3d,HL non of the console FPS would be as they are those games should be gettinglots and lots more credit for anything FPS related than goldeneye or halo regardles of the platform!

Citizen_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Citizen_Zero
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts

For god sakes people when was the last time you all played 007GE? Auto aim out the wooha, no speech yo had to read it all. The 2nd 007 on the n64 was much better, speech audio, better graphics it even had bots for multiplayer, it had way more then 007GE

If you played Halo and 007GE side by side you would know Halo stomps it in every way. 007GE was just the first good FPS on a console nothing more.

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Halo led to health regen.

Goldeneye led to Perfect Dark.

Yeah... Goldeneye FTW.

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
Halo saved a console and the console FPS. After Halo came more people wanting/developing FPS.
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
Here's the point, Goldeneye is boring now and Halo is still playable. Halo had the bigger impact. Halo wins.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Another thing about goldeneye was when they relesed the sequel perfect dark for the nintendo 64, it was a big change from the 1st to the 2nd. The graphics were alot better more weapons were added and coop was added. There was nt as much of a change from halo 1 to halo 2, yes the graphics were better but there wasnt as many new weapons added compared to golden eye to perect dark. EmperorZeruel

I don't recall Perfect Dark being the sequel to Goldeneye.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Here's the point, Goldeneye is boring now and Halo is still playable. Halo had the bigger impact. Halo wins.DuDisNow

Maybe Halo is still playable because it came out a whole generation later?

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
goldeneye 4 sure