Halo 3: ODST; the first non-linear Halo game

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

Many people have constantly complained about the Halo series as being a very linear experience. For Halo 1, 2, and 3, that is very true. There really has not been an "open world" in a Halo game, instead there are just environments that you push through fighting enemies until you get to the end of the level, sometimes backtracking as well.

Meet Halo 3: ODST

The game takes place at night in New Mombasa, the city that we fought at in Halo 2. As, "The Rookie", you are set in a huge open environment. You can roam the streets going to whichever beacon you want to, trying to piece together the mystery of your lost squadmates. Once you get to the beacons, the flashback sequences are mostly linear however.

-"There are actually more than four beacons, and once you find the first one you're pretty much free to roam the dark, Covenant-patrolled streets of New Mombasa however you like - free to find the remaining clue beacons in any order you choose."

-"The silenced SMG is just one of the tweaks to the Halo 3 sandbox that make ODST a stealthier experience -- one that, at least in the open environment of nighttime New Mombasa, rewards a more measured approach to combat."

As seen in one of the Gamespot videos of the game, one of the guys at Bungie said that the beacon that he was traveling to was "about a kilometer away".

So there you have it, the first open world Halo game: Halo 3: ODST

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's about time too, I always wanted to play an open world Halo game.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
People have complained about Halo Combat Evolved being linear? I'd hate to see what those people think of Call of Duty.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hockeyruler12
People have complained about Halo Combat Evolved being linear? I'd hate to see what those people think of Call of Duty.AAllxxjjnn
Ive heard it numerous times. Yeah Call of duty has to be the most linear ive ever played
Supa__Mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Supa__Mario
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts
that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Hooray, now we can have really chopppy story telling and lack of character involvement; Just what Halo always needed! Screw non-linear, open world games and their segmented stories.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]People have complained about Halo Combat Evolved being linear? I'd hate to see what those people think of Call of Duty.hockeyruler12
Ive heard it numerous times. Yeah Call of duty has to be the most linear ive ever played

Werid, never heard that complaint before, cause Halo combat evolved at least gave you a few options on how to go about your way (different vehicles, etc). And some of the levels were fairly open. Whatever. Halo ODST should be awesome.
DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

That's cool, but linear does not necessarily mean bad. I really enjoyed COD4's campaign, and that was about as linear as it gets. Sometimes the most exciting gameplay can come from when you are led down a path.

error_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 error_202
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts

Havent bungie been saying this since Halo 2? Anyway if they make it as linear as Halo CE then thats fine.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hockeyruler12
[QUOTE="hockeyruler12"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]People have complained about Halo Combat Evolved being linear? I'd hate to see what those people think of Call of Duty.AAllxxjjnn

Werid, never heard that complaint before, cause Halo combat evolved at least gave you a few options on how to go about your way (different vehicles, etc). And some of the levels were fairly open. Whatever. Halo ODST should be awesome.

Yeah i loved Assault on the Control Room. I still play that level all the time.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I cant wait for this game. I love how these horde like modes are starting to became standard on shooter (gears, left4dead and ODST) :D

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PAL360

that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....Supa__Mario

Gamespot will most likelly not review this game but i think it will be AAA on metacritic and gr

error_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 error_202
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts

[QUOTE="Supa__Mario"]that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....PAL360

Gamespot will most likelly not review this game but i think it will be AAA on metacritic and gr

Its being released stand alone on a disk so they have to review it.

They will also probably review the GTA expansion packs later when they are released on disk.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mitu123

[QUOTE="Supa__Mario"]that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....PAL360

Why not, it's on a disc, and expansions do get reviewed, plus they review Halo 2 Map Packs and it was AA(8.7), LOL.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
While the Halo games are pretty linear, they never rally gave me that linear feeling to be honest. The outside levels (not in some sort of base) are large enough for me to take a different approach each time. I guess Halo CE is the most non-linear of the three, Halo 3 second, Halo 2 was the most linear experience out of the three.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
The missions are still linear, its just that there is now an open over-world where you can activate the missions from (in a non-linear way).
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
Were people really complaining about there being no open world Halo game? Open world FPS's are stil a tiny minority of FPS's released, and most people don't realize that Halo was originally announced as an open world game... So I just haven't seen many people complaining about this. I mean, I don't see people complaining that Half-Life wasn't open world - why would they complain about Halo?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PAL360

I hope you guys are right. The same goes to GTA4 expantion packs.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mitu123

I hope you guys are right. The same goes to GTA4 expantion packs.

PAL360
Yeah, I hope so to, they review map packs on a disc, which isn't even a game, LOL.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

How many Halo fans / Lems know Halo was - during its time in development (post strategy design) - set to be an open world, non linear, procedurally generated shooter - where you fought the covenant in a guerrilla war across the ring?

Honestly if Bungie managed to translate the design to the Xbox then it would have been one of the most groundbeaking shooters.

Hell, not even today has procedural generation in shooters been done properly, even dynamic open worlds are more of a recent phenominon in shooters.

Its a pity, I was hyped for it all that time back, and even though the final product is great, there is so much it could have, and well - should have been, based off the huge amount of information and hype at the time....

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

i prefer linear games

pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
I personally that halo 2 was the only real linear game. I mean surer halo 1 and 3 weren't exactly open world but they had lots of "choices" for you - like weapons, methods, pathways. mainly in the vehicle segments though.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

The game actually looks more fun than regular halo. I love the fact you aren't a super soldier. Just a regular guy put into a tight situation. I'd love if they made stealth a very important gameplay mechanic.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

The game actually looks more fun than regular halo. I love the fact you aren't a super soldier. Just a regular guy put into a tight situation. I'd love if they made stealth a very important gameplay mechanic.

Espada12
agreed. I'm glad they're doing something different, and knowing Bungie, it should be awesome.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vandalvideo

Espada12
From what I saw, the gameplay didn't look all that different. Instead of a shield then boom head shot, you have a regenerating health bar like most other shooters. They just replaced the shield with regen health.
Rudy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rudy25
Member since 2003 • 2001 Posts

NON LINEAR in Halo means the option of exploring a tunnel being blocked by debris. Damn...DEBRIS!

OH NOES! DEAD END!

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Vandalvideo

From what I saw, the gameplay didn't look all that different. Instead of a shield then boom head shot, you have a regenerating health bar like most other shooters. They just replaced the shield with regen health.

It looks that way but the game itself SHOULD have to change and I hope the silenced weapons/stealth play a big part in the new gameplay mechanics. These guys aren't exactly MC, they shouldn't be able to flip jeeps.. bust through tank hatches, drop kick people off bikes and air jack people... if they do well that would be epic fail, if they don't and new gameplay is introduced that's be awesome.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Personally I can't wait for this game like the sound of the less-linear structure. I tend to like games that have some linear and non-linear sections to them.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Is Halo Wars considered Linear? Maybe I'm confused over the meaning.

D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Vandalvideo

Health packs are back, so you don't really regenerate health. Instead, you have a stamina gauge similar to Halo 1's shield.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hockeyruler12

Espada12
yeah no more insane shields and jumping
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vandalvideo
Health packs are back, so you don't really regenerate health. Instead, you have a stamina gauge similar to Halo 1's shield.D00nut
You must know more about the game, so what was happening when the guy was getting shot, the screen would start getting saturated and red, and then it would restore itself? It looked like your average regen health model graphic to me.
Avatar image for awwaawawawawaww
awwaawawawawaww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 awwaawawawawaww
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The guns look pretty cool, shame the grenades are same as always no different. but the level design sucks ass and everything looks lifeless level looks incomplete and empty. anyone notice the bungie dev at e3 2009? was the biggest dork there lol, dont get dork confused with nerds like john carmack who are actually smart. that dude was just a plain ole star trek dork or something lol.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
No Halo game has flopped yet, I have faith
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Right, all those other Halo FPS's have flopped, why wouldnt this one??
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
[QUOTE="Supa__Mario"]that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....enterawesome

I would say no Halo FPS, because Halo Wars getting a 6.5 flopped
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Hooray, now we can have really chopppy story telling and lack of character involvement; Just what Halo always needed! Screw non-linear, open world games and their segmented stories.Vandalvideo
Segmented storyline? Please explain.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Hooray, now we can have really chopppy story telling and lack of character involvement; Just what Halo always needed! Screw non-linear, open world games and their segmented stories.lettuceman44

Prince of Persia.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Hooray, now we can have really chopppy story telling and lack of character involvement; Just what Halo always needed! Screw non-linear, open world games and their segmented stories.Vandalvideo

Prince of Persia.

You can't use one game to backup a claim for an entire type of gameplay genre.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

That's cool, but linear does not necessarily mean bad. I really enjoyed COD4's campaign, and that was about as linear as it gets. Sometimes the most exciting gameplay can come from when you are led down a path.

DarthBilf

I enjoyed COD 4's single player the first time around..The second time I was like "Wow this game is terrible" just because everything was soo linear.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Halo 2 was linear; it'd be ridiculous to say Halo 1 was linear. :? Halo 3 had some pretty open environments.
Fetus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fetus5
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

[QUOTE="Supa__Mario"]that game is going to flop........7/10 if its lucky....enterawesome

It ill flop when Bungie gets sick of Halo and want to streach their creative muscels that have gone dorment from remaking the same games with better graphics and fail bad

or they will run out of weapons to add i mean they added a hammer last time whats next? steel toed boots

lol jp

honestly i think ODST will be a 8-8.5

its gunna be halo

its gunna be a bit different

but I just don't know what will make it a 9+ in only a bit over a year

I think its just a lil bit of a money booster so they can afford the 2-3+ development of the return of master C on ... Wii with super pistol whip action

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="lettuceman44"] You can't use one game to backup a claim for an entire type of gameplay genre.

The game highlights the problem with allowing free form story exploration. The major problem with doing that is you have disjointed story. You can't create as indepth character interaction as you may be able to otherwise, because going to one event may be spoiling another, or the interactions themselves may feel disjointed. Because of this, the stories in these types of games are generally overly broad, or fail on execution.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

That sounds pretty cool. Can't wait for this.

Fetus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fetus5
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"] You can't use one game to backup a claim for an entire type of gameplay genre.Vandalvideo
The game highlights the problem with allowing free form story exploration. The major problem with doing that is you have disjointed story. You can't create as indepth character interaction as you may be able to otherwise, because going to one event may be spoiling another, or the interactions themselves may feel disjointed. Because of this, the stories in these types of games are generally overly broad, or fail on execution.

Lol you just explained inFamous to the T i rented and beat it last week while it had awsome gameplayit was hard to get into the story because you would do genric mission between the main Quest much the way you would in GTA. the result was that i just wan't to play to get new power not to extend the story line. It kinda said it seemed like an ok plot i just didn't care.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123
[QUOTE="D00nut"]Health packs are back, so you don't really regenerate health. Instead, you have a stamina gauge similar to Halo 1's shield.Vandalvideo
You must know more about the game, so what was happening when the guy was getting shot, the screen would start getting saturated and red, and then it would restore itself? It looked like your average regen health model graphic to me.

What video did you watch, I watched one where your health doesn't regenerate after getting shot. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-halo-3-odst/51018
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 II-FBIsniper-II
[QUOTE="D00nut"]Health packs are back, so you don't really regenerate health. Instead, you have a stamina gauge similar to Halo 1's shield.Vandalvideo

It's your stamina. When the screen is saturated and red, you are vulnerable to losing health. Once you take hits, you're health won't restore unless you find health packs. So its pretty much Halo 1's system except the health plays a bigger part than the shields (in this case, stamina).
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Also, did you guys hear that it's now a full $60 release and not an expansion pack price? Bad move if you ask me.
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 II-FBIsniper-II
Also, did you guys hear that it's now a full $60 release and not an expansion pack price? Bad move if you ask me.Ninja-Hippo
Bad move? It's a great move if you're microsoft and bungie. As far as they know, anything with Halo on it will sell like crazy. They managed to score a million+ with Halo Wars, now Halo ODST will be their next test.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
People have complained about Halo Combat Evolved being linear? I'd hate to see what those people think of Call of Duty.AAllxxjjnn
they cant get enough CoD. sad isnt it?