Halo 2 Anni may not exist. Needs "Fantastic MP"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Rumours about the existence of a Halo 2 Anniversary edition refuse to go away. The game is said to be coming out for Xbox One later this year, and now Microsoft exec Phil Spencer has spoken about what he thinks the most important feature of the game--if it exists--would have to be: multiplayer.

"In this fictitious world where that game existed," said Spencer in an interview with IGN, "it’s an easy answer: it has to be just the multiplayer experience that we all found in that first Halo 2 game."

Halo 2 launched in 2004 and, due to its beloved multiplayer mode, became the poster boy for Microsoft's fledgling Xbox Live service. The multiplayer mode featured map playlists, peer-to-peer matchmaking, and a ranking system, which were all seen as pretty revolutionary at the time.

"If you think about what happened in the franchise," continued Spencer, "and what were the hallmark moments--when did duel wielding come in, when did another playable character that wasn’t Master Chief come in?"

"All the things that you and I know about the evolution of the franchise, if you’re going to say one thing about Halo 2, you’re going to talk about real multiplayer. I think you just have to nail that in just such a fundamentally core way. Frankly [we'd have to do it] probably better than we did with Halo 1 Anniversary."

"I thought the multiplayer in Halo 1 Anniversary was good, but Halo 1 never had multiplayer in the truest sense, so it always was going to be something different."

"If there were something called Halo 2 Anniversary," says Spencer, "I think the multiplayer would have to be fantastic."

Microsoft has told GameSpot that it will publish a new Halo game this year. But will it be Halo 2 Anniversary?

Home Sauce

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I hope it exists, but Spencer is right, it needs to nail the multiplayer if it is to live up to the original title.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

New titles please............

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animal-Mother

@charizard1605 said:

I hope it exists, but Spencer is right, it needs to nail the multiplayer if it is to live up to the original title.

Never really been crazy about the halo MP but people really enjoy it. So I agree it does have some big shoes to fill

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

multiplayer muiplayer mutiplayer that's all MS even cares about when it comes to games. Gotta get that XBL subscriptioin money up yo. Honestly the lack of focus on quality single player is what turned me off about Halo 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605 said:

Never really been crazy about the halo MP but people really enjoy it. So I agree it does have some big shoes to fill

I actually didn't get to play Halo 2's MP until long after, but yeah, people were crazy about it. From what I understand, modern console online multiplayer owes itself to Halo 2, so that's a lot of pressure on any potential remake :p

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Animal-Mother

@kuu2 said:

Why? Phill spencer even comes out and says it doesn't exist. "In this fictitious world where that game existed". Sorry bro.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

They should ship Halo 2 Anniversary with Halo 3's multiplayer.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@kuu2 said:

Why? Phill spencer even comes out and says it doesn't exist. "In this fictitious world where that game existed". Sorry bro.

Not big on nostalgia around these parts. MSoft did it with Halo Anniversary I see nothing stopping them from doing it with 2.

@kinectthedots said:

multiplayer muiplayer mutiplayer that's all MS even cares about when it comes to games. Gotta get that XBL subscriptioin money up yo. Honestly the lack of focus on quality single player is what turned me off about Halo 2.

This is rich.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Animal-Mother

@kuu2 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@kuu2 said:

Not big on nostalgia around these parts. MSoft did it with Halo Anniversary I see nothing stopping them from doing it with 2.

@kinectthedots said:

This is rich.

Do me a favor, Imagine my big smiling mischievous face for a second. Look at where we are=Profit

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

So a Microsoft that charged for Live but didnt produce online multiplayer games would be better right???

Logic fail.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Halo without the multiplayer is like what the **** is the point? The campaign? **** that.

Halo 2's mp was legit as hell, such a great map list. Honestly I'd want most of the glitches back as well. BXB, BXR, the cancels, the sky jumps, and all that jazz. Custom games with that shit was so much fun.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Halo 2 HD may not exist like X1 exclusives for 2014.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I wish I had an Xbox and Live so I could have experienced Halo 2 MP online. Still got to have fun with it at a friend's house with custom games atleast (and always lose...). So Phil is saying they wouldn't be content just bringing whatever Halo 2 offered to Xbox One with improved HD graphics, more maps and modes? Or forge (wasn't inroduced until Halo 3 AFAIK)?

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but of course I never experienced the game like others did back in the day and played the helll out of it, so what do I know...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Halo 2 anniversary really doesn't make much sense. The single player component of that game was not well loved, and the multiplayer in Halo 3 is basically an updated version of Halo 2.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Minority opinion: Please just keep the campaign faithful, played that 25x more than the MP.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I absolutely enjoyed halo 2 multiplayer. Played that forever on my Xbox. If they do a remake, there is no reason to change anything about it. Just update the visuals

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I ever bought the first Halo remake so my interest is meh on 2. Bring on the Playstation killer, Halo 5!

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Halo 2 has the Little Shop of Horrors plant in it. That was the last Halo I purchased.

Feed me, Seymour.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Halo 2 has the Little Shop of Horrors plant in it. That was the last Halo I purchased.

Feed me, Seymour.

I sense come jelly

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Spartan070

@xboxdone74 said:

Feed me, Seymour.

Never talk bad about the Gravemind, one of the greatest NPC characters in gaming history!

The character whos' name I bare proudly as my gamertag, Twitch account and use as a handle in many other capacities.

ALL HAIL THE GRAVEMIND

\|/ This is BLASPHEMY!

\|/ This is GDLK!

Loading Video...

I'm a bit of an Arbiter/Gravemind fan :P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Copy paste it Microsoft. There's a generation of gamers who missed out on one of the best MPs ever.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Multiplayer was easily the best part of Halo 2. If they release an anniversary edition for that, it NEEDS to recreate Halo 2's MP and not be the nooby Codified crap that caused Halo 4's online community to be a pathetic shell.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

After Titanfall, 343 really needs to take Halo MP to the next level and give SPARTAN's even greater mobility (not necessarily parkour mind you). They have it in the fiction, but it was never fully realized in the games.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

After Titanfall, 343 really needs to take Halo MP to the next level and give SPARTAN's even greater mobility (not necessarily parkour mind you). They have it in the fiction, but it was never fully realized in the games.

Absolutely not. Halo was perfectly fine before Bungie/343i tried to make it into something it's not *cough* CoD *cough*. Halo is Halo. CoD is CoD. Titanfall is Titanfall. Variety is the spice of life

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@DillonShwing said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Absolutely not. Halo was perfectly fine before Bungie/343i tried to make it into something it's not *cough* CoD *cough*. Halo is Halo. CoD is CoD. Titanfall is Titanfall. Variety is the spice of life

And why do you think the Halo MP community disappeared and the CoD MP community is disappearing? The games these people are playing aren't changing enough to keep up with the evolution of game mechanics. As much as Microsoft/Activision wants to believe, people will get bored of the same game if they keep releasing it.

I wasn't suggesting Halo mimic Titanfall, I'm saying Halo needs to rethink how it approaches multiplayer and the verticality if it is to remain relevant. Titanfall has introduced a new, innovative element to shooter MP, despite having the surrounding package be quite underwhelming and content-lite. The SPARTAN's have always been incredibly strong, fast and agile characters in the fiction, and that isn't reflected well in the games (especially with ODST making mere humans as mobile as the SPARTAN's). FFS, they can run as fast as a car, and jump huge distances... but that isn't reflected in the games at all. They just run a little faster than the human characters, and jump (more like float) for a little longer.

Something I never felt while playing the Halo games, SP or MP, was their "weight" when clad in full armor, despite having the much-increased mobility. It's just something to think about. And jeez, people seem to really hate the idea of change.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Agreed, but I still wouldn't say no to a Halo 2 campaign remake. Not the strongest in the series but still brilliant despite the ending.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Well said, and good post 'Mother (said in Arlis Howard, FMJ voice). The Halo Anniversary was something I bought, and enjoyed. I was originally angry about taking away BC in PS3 for the reissue of PS2 games. I then bought the GoW, Ico&SotC collections and enjoyed them. I began to see the value of them getting the clean up into HD, because my 80 gig PS3 could play my PS2 copies but they were a bit blurry on my HDTV.

The Halo anniversary had features I enjoyed including the select button time warp from 2001 Halo CE to 2011, HD and graphic over haul; Kinect scanning (I know LOL Kinect, But I used it and it was interesting). The MP was well already done. This Halo2 would NEED the HALO 2 MP imo, not a new Halo 4 MP, as well as the aforementioned graphics overhaul.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I can't speak for the CoD fanbase because I'm not a fan whatsoever but I can tell you that Halo's multiplayer community is dying because Halo hasn't been Halo since Halo 3. The community at large felt betrayed by the direction Reach took the franchise and Halo 4 drifted even further. I guarantee that if Halo 5 launches with true Arena style multiplayer with an IN GAME 1-50 ranking system (Halo 2/3 style) the halo multiplayer community will be the highest it's been since Halo 3's heyday. Quote me on that if you want.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Animal-Mother

@cainetao11 said:

Well said, and good post 'Mother (said in Arlis Howard, FMJ voice). The Halo Anniversary was something I bought, and enjoyed. I was originally angry about taking away BC in PS3 for the reissue of PS2 games. I then bought the GoW, Ico&SotC collections and enjoyed them. I began to see the value of them getting the clean up into HD, because my 80 gig PS3 could play my PS2 copies but they were a bit blurry on my HDTV.

The Halo anniversary had features I enjoyed including the select button time warp from 2001 Halo CE to 2011, HD and graphic over haul; Kinect scanning (I know LOL Kinect, But I used it and it was interesting). The MP was well already done. This Halo2 would NEED the HALO 2 MP imo, not a new Halo 4 MP, as well as the aforementioned graphics overhaul.

That was a great feature.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By foxhound_fox

@DillonShwing said:

@foxhound_fox: I can't speak for the CoD fanbase because I'm not a fan whatsoever but I can tell you that Halo's multiplayer community is dying because Halo hasn't been Halo since Halo 3. The community at large felt betrayed by the direction Reach took the franchise and Halo 4 drifted even further. I guarantee that if Halo 5 launches with true Arena style multiplayer with an IN GAME 1-50 ranking system (Halo 2/3 style) the halo multiplayer community will be the highest it's been since Halo 3's heyday. Quote me on that if you want.

No, Halo 4 was the only thing that truly hit the community. A bunch of crybaby's got upset over 3 and Reach, despite them being legitimately good MP experiences. But, if we take your assertion as correct, then obviously the Halo franchise needs drastic changes to it's multiplayer to even be relevant for the next release.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Well Halo 2 without a worthy multiplayer would kind of suck. The lame ass Arbiter ruined half the campaign with his terrible levels.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Spartan070

@foxhound_fox said:

Can't think of how many times I've played the games wishing that even a few of the Chiefs abilities could be used in-game, I second this. Mjolnir is really a special piece of armor but in the games it's just a small strength enhancer.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spartan070

@Renegade_Fury said:

Well Halo 2 without a worthy multiplayer would kind of suck. The lame ass Arbiter ruined half the campaign with his terrible levels.

Well, since you've just insulted Thel 'Vadam, the greatest character in gaming history, I'll try to keep this cordially brief...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox

@Spartan070 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Can't think of how many times I've played the games wishing that even a few of the Chiefs abilities could be used in-game, I second this. Mjolnir is really a special piece of armor but in the games it's just a small strength enhancer.

It seems like very few people actually read the novels.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX: well...I suppose PC beggars would be jelly, yes.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@DillonShwing said:

@foxhound_fox said:

And why do you think the Halo MP community disappeared and the CoD MP community is disappearing? The games these people are playing aren't changing enough to keep up with the evolution of game mechanics. As much as Microsoft/Activision wants to believe, people will get bored of the same game if they keep releasing it.

I wasn't suggesting Halo mimic Titanfall, I'm saying Halo needs to rethink how it approaches multiplayer and the verticality if it is to remain relevant. Titanfall has introduced a new, innovative element to shooter MP, despite having the surrounding package be quite underwhelming and content-lite. The SPARTAN's have always been incredibly strong, fast and agile characters in the fiction, and that isn't reflected well in the games (especially with ODST making mere humans as mobile as the SPARTAN's). FFS, they can run as fast as a car, and jump huge distances... but that isn't reflected in the games at all. They just run a little faster than the human characters, and jump (more like float) for a little longer.

Something I never felt while playing the Halo games, SP or MP, was their "weight" when clad in full armor, despite having the much-increased mobility. It's just something to think about. And jeez, people seem to really hate the idea of change.

they changed Halo before anyone wanted them to though. There is a reason why so many played Halo 3 for so many years after the new games launched. I'm sick of hearing this kind of talk. Change should only be implemented when it is absolutely necessary. Doing it just for the sake of change or to try and bring in an audience THAT WAS NEVER THERE just kills the IP. It already happened with Gears of War and It's going to happen with Halo if the next one doesn't reverse course.

I get it. Spartans are strong. MC could bitchslap a rocket out of the air before it hit him if I remember correctly (though he did have Cortana's help). But how the hell do you balance it? Just adding in running created a shitstorm and being able to spawn with plasma pistols and earn guns/armor and having them arriving straight to your location just for getting kills (killstreaks) arguably killed it. Do you really alienate EVERYONE who goes to the store and buys Halo because they want THAT experience just because MAYBE it could be different? I'd say a spinoff would be the best course of action, but how to handle that? When everyone hated Judgment it was called a "spinoff" instead of a "prequel". Now if it were something crazy like say Revengeance to MGS, that might just work.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@kuu2 said:

Did he? Or did he want to comment on it without officially revealing that it does. I think that he's even talking about it is a stronger indication that it does exist.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Meh Halo.

That is all.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

In all actuality, Halo 2 remake probably exists more that DriveClub. Doohh.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@handssss said:

they changed Halo before anyone wanted them to though. There is a reason why so many played Halo 3 for so many years after the new games launched. I'm sick of hearing this kind of talk. Change should only be implemented when it is absolutely necessary. Doing it just for the sake of change or to try and bring in an audience THAT WAS NEVER THERE just kills the IP. It already happened with Gears of War and It's going to happen with Halo if the next one doesn't reverse course.

I get it. Spartans are strong. MC could bitchslap a rocket out of the air before it hit him if I remember correctly (though he did have Cortana's help). But how the hell do you balance it? Just adding in running created a shitstorm and being able to spawn with plasma pistols and earn guns/armor and having them arriving straight to your location just for getting kills (killstreaks) arguably killed it. Do you really alienate EVERYONE who goes to the store and buys Halo because they want THAT experience just because MAYBE it could be different? I'd say a spinoff would be the best course of action, but how to handle that? When everyone hated Judgment it was called a "spinoff" instead of a "prequel". Now if it were something crazy like say Revengeance to MGS, that might just work.

I never said they should change for the sake of it. They should EVOLVE the gameplay to higher levels, add more depth and connect it better with the fiction.

SPARTAN's are strong (an understatement), many times stronger than a basic soldier. They were the reason humans survived the Covenant incursions. Had Haley not made them, humanity would have gone extinct. Master Chief wiped the floor (read: slaughtered) with 4 of the best ODST's in the navy, and just came out of his augmentation procedure. He had no idea of his power, and he wasn't even in armor (and the SPARTAN's didn't get armor until much later).

How do you balance it? Have you played, or even watched videos of Titanfall? It's amazingly well-balanced and incredibly fast-paced. These monstrous mechs with incredible power are sharing the battlefield with regular grunts and other "pilots", and the pilots are capable of taking down (with effort) any mech they so choose.

And really, if every human player is a SPARTAN, why would there even be a question of balance? Everyone has access to the same power.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Halo 2 is my least favorite Halo, but I know quite a few people who love it. So good for them I guess, if it ever does come out.