Half-Life was an awesome game. Half-Life 2 was merely a good game.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I hate how people run around on the Internet claiming that "Half-Life 2 is the greatest shooter of all time."

They even claim it's better than the original Half-Life!

When I read such statements, my reaction is, "What? Really? Are they serious?"

I was ten years old when I played Half-Life, and of course, from my little ten year old mind, it certainly constituted awesomeness. So, that is why I still think it's awesome. Its main innovation, a cohesive narrative, was its defining trait. In the year 2000, good games tied together with excellent narratives were very few, and for that, I credit Half-Life as being one of the greatest shooters of all time. It manage to tie a story into a shooter when games like Doom and Quake simply failed in that department.

Which brings me to Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2, beyond the introduction of a physics engine (which my thirteen year old mind at the time recognized as pretty cool) and some pretty graphics, did not push the boundaries of the video game narrative as far as Half-Life did. We had all the Half-Life trademarks: a silent protagonist, lack of cuscenes, etc. Add on the weak gunplay, and Half-Life 2 constitutes as one of the weakest sequels of all time.

So, to conclude: Half-Life was awesome, but Half-Life 2, while good, was certainly not as awesome as the original Half-Life was. Its fabled reputation amongst gamers is directly related to its Half-Life pedigree, not to the game itself.

Anyone agree? Anyone want to challenge me? There, I said it! Half-Life > Half-Life 2!

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
While the narrative may have (debatable) been superior in HL, Half Life 2 had better level design, tighter gameplay, and of course the later release brought better tech including superior AI, physics, and of course graphics. The physics system alone allowed for some out of the box thinking when it came to the game play and solving puzzles or getting around tough to beat enemies. HL2 is arguably better than HL one in just about every way.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Capitalist

I thought the AI was pretty crappy in HL2. A lot of enemy maneuvers seemed scripted.

Heyhuub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heyhuub
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

Recently played through HL2 again and i agree that HL1 is superior.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

HL2 has more personality and more variety

but i actually liked HL1 more than HL2, the whole experience felt more connected together and the ending is better, but it's not really a knock on HL2 at all

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
You were ten when you played Half Life 1 in 2000, but you were 13 when you played Half Life 2 no earlier than 2004. Something isn't quite right here.
Darkedge34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkedge34
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

They were both pretty generic shooters.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

got bored of HL1 never actually completed it. I completed HL2 and the extra episodes. Much better IMO.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Capitalist

You were ten when you played Half Life 1 in 2000, but you were 13 when you played Half Life 2 no earlier than 2004. Something isn't quite right here.Skittles_McGee

Oh, did I say ten? I meant nine.

Sorry, my math isn't very good.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 88mphSlayer

Darkedge34

what's generic about 'em?

mariobros1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mariobros1981
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts
honestly, i thought hl1 was the more compelling game. in hl2, i just felt i was being pushed from a-b for little reason much more than in hl1. i did think the episodes were a lot better though.
Darkedge34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkedge34
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkedge34"]

88mphSlayer

Go from point A to point B in a linear fashion shooting zombies and maybe a couple marines. ORIGINALITY AT IT'S BEST.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
I think Half Life 2 is far better than Half Life.
Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

People who generally dislike Half Life 2 seem to completely miss the story. The variety in HL2 alone blows my mind... I can't grasp why anybody wouldn't enjoy it, yet enjoy a pubescent type game where the main characters face is molding into a scowl, who shouts alot, and tries so hard to include gore that even skeletons gush blood like a fountain. :? Half Life 2 earned all the praise it gets in my book. Likeable characters, check, unrivaled level design, check, unrivaled atmosphere, check, more then 2 enemy types, check, vastly different gameplay (one minute you're driving a hovercraft, trying to escape the combine, then you enter a town reminiscent of Resident Evil, then you're controlling antlions in an assault across a beach), check. If you don't agree about the atmosphere part, try playing it again with your eyes open. Half Life 2 doesn't ram its story down your throat, it intricately weaves it into the surroundings. Of course this is just my opinion though. :P I honestly enjoyed them both equally.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I've never been a big fan of Half-Life 2, but there will most likely be those that disagree and those that agree. Like with everything else.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

[QUOTE="Darkedge34"]

Darkedge34

Go from point A to point B in a linear fashion shooting zombies and maybe a couple marines. ORIGINALITY AT IT'S BEST.

The Combine are marines now? Ya don't say.
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Persistantthug
Member since 2009 • 1420 Posts

Like I said before...

GOLDENEYE 007 for the N64 did much of what Half Life 1 did...and it did it first too.

In some/many respects, GOLDENEYE was better. Half Life 1 was sterile in comparisson because Valve doesn't have the production values. Totally my opinion, of course, but HL1 bored me when I got around to it in late 1999. Not that HL1 was a bad game nor did I not think the game was good, but yeah...totally bored, never even bothered to finish it.

I did like HL2 though.

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

Like I said before...

GOLDENEYE 007 for the N64 did much of what Half Life 1 did...and it did it first too.

In some/many respects, GOLDENEYE was better. Half Life 1 was sterile in comparisson because Valve doesn't have the production values. Totally my opinion, of course, but HL1 bored me when I got around to it in 2000.

I did like HL2 though.

Persistantthug

Dude, no it never. Duke Nukem 3D did more then Goldeneye. Half Life 1 REWROTE the rulebook of FPS.

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
Totally disagree with the TC. I think Half Life 2 is the best game of all time, of any genre. For its time, it was absolutely incredible. I loved Half Life as well, but HL2 was the closest thing to perfect I've ever played for its time.
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

i liked hl1 better. hl2 had more variety but some of that variety was outright awful (the watercraft parts?). hl1 was much creepier, more atmospheric, and a little more interesting overall.

episode 2, however, is by far the best part of the half life franchise. the end where youre driving the car around planting bombs on the striders is like the most epic thing ever.

Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Persistantthug

Dude, no it never. Duke Nukem 3D did more then Goldeneye. Half Life 1 REWROTE the rulebook of FPS.

Dataleak

That's what lots of people keep espousing,

But I played GOLDENEYE in like, 1997...no...early 1998, and I clearly remember the fun, awe, and strange feeling I got when I shot relatively real looking people in their faces.

Half Life1 was a bit more advanced with the blood and a few other features, but it didn't do anything really revolutionary to me...it just seems people have always wanted to dismiss Goldeneye N64 for some reason because a console game usurped PC games.

Go figure
*shrug*

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

While I like HL2, I still enjoy HL1 more and I think it is the best FPS ever made in my opinion. The reason is that I enjoy the setting of Black Mesa more then City 17, and also I like fighting the Soldiers more then the Combine to be honest. And I liked how it use to be only Gordon Freeman by himself and fights on his own rather then what we see in HL2. But don't get me wrong, HL2 is still a great game.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

i liked half life 2 quite a bit more then half life 1...

and it is astounding how half life 2 still looks good even to this day..

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

Persistantthug

But I played GOLDENEYE in like, 1997...no...early 1998, and I clearly remember the fun, awe, and strange feeling I got when I shot relatively real looking people in their faces.

Half Life1 was a bit more advanced with the blood and a few other features, but it didn't do anything really revolutionary to me...it just seems people have always wanted to dismiss Goldeneye N64 for some reason because a console game usurped PC games.

Go figure
*shrug*

Before Half Life, name an FPS that told the entire story without ever playing a cutscene or leaving the player's point of view. If you can't name 2 or more, then you see the point.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 88mphSlayer

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

Persistantthug

Go figure
*shrug*

i didn't play either game (Goldeneye/HL1) until years after they both came out

when i did eventually play Goldeneye, i thought it felt generic, i mean compare the enemies to enemies in Quake 1, and the level design was very basic as well

when i played HL1, i thought it was great, the controls were solid, the platforming was fun, the level design never broke up the experience - you felt like it was one long level and not arbitrary video-game jumps between locations, and the situations where you eventually got to shoot something were paced out and were fun to get through (not to mention, crowbars)

that's just me, i never played the goldeneye multiplayer, so whatever

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
As I agree that Half life was an awesome game, and i was probably 8 when i played it, I don't think you're giving HL2 enough credit. I thought it was a well done game with some cool physics and I had a lot of fun with it, especially with the episodic content. Episode 1 was good, but epi 2 was just, Mind blowing in my opinion.
SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

I agree. I loved Half Life, but Half Life 2 was just extremely mediocre and forgettable. I've tried so many times to get into it, but I just can't. It's one of the most overrrated games ever made imo.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Half Life1 was a bit more advanced with the blood and a few other features, but it didn't do anything really revolutionary to me...

Persistantthug

The biggest advancements were the skeletal animation system and the AI. The AI cheats, just like FEAR's, but the effect is still impressive today.

Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Persistantthug

[QUOTE="Persistantthug"]

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

Skittles_McGee

Go figure
*shrug*

Before Half Life, name an FPS that told the entire story without ever playing a cutscene or leaving the player's point of view. If you can't name 2 or more, then you see the point.

I've actually heard that arguement before, regarding alot of games and just games in general....But I have to come clean, it's an aspect of gaming that's always been trivial to me.

Like, I couldn't care less if a game jumps to cutscenes. In actuality, I think I might prefer cut scene cinematics if their well done. Scratch that...I DO like cut scenes. Always have. I've always liked the big explosions, epic music scores and Hopefully, good voice acting. I typically BUY games like that, assuming they are good.

Hmm...maybe that's just me.

*shrug*

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

I agree that first Half-Life was better than it's sequel, still though I don't think it was THAT much better at least not as much as to make an issue out of it. They were both awesome.

AktionJakson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 AktionJakson
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts

Did you play HL2 when it was released? If not you can't be making such statements.

I hate posts like this. You admitted you were young when you played HL1. Nostalgia is extremely powerful. Saying HL2 was merely a good game only exemplifies the power that nostalgia has over you. The graphics, gameplay, story telling, pacing (not matched to this day), length, and sound all contributed to its greatness. It set the bar in almost every aspect and is still a great game even with modern standards.

For these reasons HL2 is a great game. So was HL1, just don't let nostalgia get the better of you, mmkay?

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Half Life 2 was far better. The only thing I think Half Life 1 nailed on the head was the atmosphere.
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Persistantthug

Half Life 2 was far better. The only thing I think Half Life 1 nailed on the head was the atmosphere.VALikimlav

THIS

TOTALLY THIS

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#34 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Half-Life turned the FPS genre on its head, Half Life 2 introduced arguably the greatest weapon of all time, the Gravity Gun. It proved that the new graphics are more than just a shiny coat of paint. That said, both are great games, and although Half-Life's influence can be felt far and wide, Half Life 2 gets the edge simply for the use of gravity as a weapon and the dynamic relationship the player has with Alyx Vance.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 88mphSlayer

Half-Life turned the FPS genre on its head, Half Life 2 introduced arguably the greatest weapon of all time, the Gravity Gun. It proved that the new graphics are more than just a shiny coat of paint. That said, both are great games, and although Half-Life's influence can be felt far and wide, Half Life 2 gets the edge simply for the use of gravity as a weapon and the dynamic relationship the player has with Alyx Vance.hiphops_savior

definitely

go back to 2003/2004, Doom 3 gets released, it's t3h graphics king and all

but what do they give you? a shotgun with a tiny flashlight on it, ugh

Half Life 2 was king for a reason, proving that everything else should be up to the standards you place on graphics

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

I thought the AI was pretty crappy in HL2. A lot of enemy maneuvers seemed scripted.

The_Capitalist
When it came out AI was fine. All games are scripted,
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I gave it 7.5 in my review, totally agree. The original is pure epic. HL2 is more like a glorified tech demo, but a good glorified tech demo.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Half-Life turned the FPS genre on its head, Half Life 2 introduced arguably the greatest weapon of all time, the Gravity Gun. It proved that the new graphics are more than just a shiny coat of paint. That said, both are great games, and although Half-Life's influence can be felt far and wide, Half Life 2 gets the edge simply for the use of gravity as a weapon and the dynamic relationship the player has with Alyx Vance.88mphSlayer

definitely

go back to 2003/2004, Doom 3 gets released, it's t3h graphics king and all

but what do they give you? a shotgun with a tiny flashlight on it, ugh

Half Life 2 was king for a reason, proving that everything else should be up to the standards you place on graphics

DOOM 3 was much more exciting IMO, but I did also play it in 3D. Ever played it with headphones on and the lights off?
Materia_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Materia_Ashes
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
Anyone who calls HL1 generic has no idea what they are talking about. When it came out the entire industry praised it as "revolutionary". Carmack and ID said as much about HL1. All other FPS games are copying the formula of HL1. PS Goldeneye did nothing new at all. It was a good FPS on consoles but there was nothing revolutionary about it. Everything it did had already been done on the PC years before.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I enjoyed the original a little more but that isn't saying Half-Life 2 is crap and nobody should play its actually the opposite but the buggy driving, boat driving and running around in the aqua ducts of City 17 annoyed me so much. I also throughly enjoyed Blue-Shift though I still think it is one of my favorites in the Half-Life universe.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tomarlyn
Anyone who calls HL1 generic has no idea what they are talking about. When it came out the entire industry praised it as "revolutionary". Carmack and ID said as much about HL1. All other FPS games are copying the formula of HL1. PS Goldeneye did nothing new at all. It was a good FPS on consoles but there was nothing revolutionary about it. Everything it did had already been done on the PC years before.Materia_Ashes
Goldeneye was revolutionary for a console FPS, not just a good console FPS
wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wintermute0
Member since 2010 • 302 Posts

In terms of gameplay, Half-Life 2 > Half-Life.

In terms of narative, Half-Life 2 > Half-Life.

Materia_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Materia_Ashes

Like I said before...

In some/many respects, GOLDENEYE was better. Half Life 1 was sterile in comparisson because Valve doesn't have the production values. Totally my opinion, of course, but HL1 bored me when I got around to it in late 1999. Not that HL1 was a bad game nor did I not think the game was good, but yeah...totally bored, never even bothered to finish it.

I did like HL2 though.

Persistantthug
Goldeneye did nothing new. If you're so confident then state what it did that hadn't already been done by Quake. HL introduced: scripted storytelling, skeletal animation based upon bones, Every FPS afterward has built upon the HL formula. I'll take the words of John Carmack, John Romero (actual game developers) over your misinformed statements.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts
I had more fun with Half-Life 2, personally.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

The_Capitalist
You know most single player games are "scripted" right? please give me a list of the awesomely unscripted games in 2004.
vitalogy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 vitalogy23
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts

While the narrative may have (debatable) been superior in HL, Half Life 2 had better level design, tighter gameplay, and of course the later release brought better tech including superior AI, physics, and of course graphics. The physics system alone allowed for some out of the box thinking when it came to the game play and solving puzzles or getting around tough to beat enemies. HL2 is arguably better than HL one in just about every way.gamer620

HL1 has better A.I. than HL2 and it's episodes and imo the level design was better also. im certainly not saying HL2 had bad level design and A.I. but i think HL1 did it better.

wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wintermute0
Member since 2010 • 302 Posts

[QUOTE="Persistantthug"]

Like I said before...

I did like HL2 though.

Materia_Ashes

Goldeneye did nothing new. If you're so confident then state what it did that hadn't already been done by Quake. HL introduced: scripted storytelling, skeletal animation based upon bones, Every FPS afterward has built upon the HL formula. I'll take the words of John Carmack, John Romero (actual game developers) over your misinformed statements.

Eh, I don't think so. I think that was the natural progression of FPSs and most other games besides RPGS at the time: to make things look more REAL and to have cohesive STORYS. That's not revolutionary, it's simply innovative for the FPS genre. Just because Half-Life did it first (and very poorly, at that. but given it's development era, forgiven.) doesn't mean it's revolutionary. The fact is, Half-Life did not withstand the test of time, it's completely dated now... if you play it now, you can see that the narrative was presented poorly and that it wasn't very interesting. It was all done within the game's engine, and it was very uninteresting to watch. I mean, Half-Life 2 was released in 2004 and it's still a fresh game to play, and it looks great to boot.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

[QUOTE="Darkedge34"]

Darkedge34

So what's a non-generic shooter to you?
Materia_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Materia_Ashes
Goldeneye was revolutionary for a console FPS, not just a good console FPStomarlyn
A game being revolutionary "for consoles" doesn't automatically make it excellent. Case in point: Halo. Revolutionary for console FPS? Undoubtedly? Excellent game? I do not think it was anything more than average.