>>> Microsoft's Live Anywhere is OWNAGE!!!

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
PC users will have to pay if they want online multiplayer achievements. Otherwise, they'll be playing for free.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]funny...ps2 owners have been doing it for years :Dalfy13
Really? For what games?

Final Fantasy XI, Nabuaga's Ambitions Online and Uncharted Waters Online

MMO is different, it needs to be charged. you are using their servers to host 1k ppl on one server.

its much more then 1000.... WOW servers average out to I think 10,000. I think everquest set the record with 36,000

opps i left the 0 out of my 1k, thanks for correction. but yah like he said. so charging is needed. but for FPS that a player host, yah i dont see ppl like Live Anwhere.

Its not only for the servers, MMO's also have constant upgrades with new Content. but yes, for every other game, Dedicated servers are usually used.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]funny...ps2 owners have been doing it for years :DAdrianWerner
Really? For what games?

Final Fantasy XI, Nabuaga's Ambitions Online and Uncharted Waters Online

MMO is different, it needs to be charged. you are using their servers to host 1k ppl on one server.

of course, but so what? Dreamcast had Q3 crossplatform gaming. And "their servers"? THat's actualy the whole point, even in nonMMo Pc games you use decidated servers, which is why P2P that XBL uses is pathetic and completely unnaceptable for most pcgamers, it's would be like returning to 1993 all over again

i know im not dumb. but you posted MMO so yes im agreeing with you. those needs to be charged, as for player host server does not like you said. so yes i am agreeing with you. maybe i confused you .
BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
For those of you who haven't seen it, check out the bottom of this link about silver and gold accounts for games for windows.

http://blogs.ign.com/MGS_HiredGun/2007/03/06/48572/

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Games that play on XP are being phased out? All games being released after, what, 6 months will only be installable on Vista?
cobrax25
No, of course not. especially if Vista continues to not sell. for the next few years, games will let you choose between playing DX10 on Vista, or with DX9 on XP. eventually XP will be phased out, but it will take a long time. games have only recently begone to not support Windows 98 (though most games can still be played on 98 even if they dont support it).

I didn't think older OSs got phased out THAT quickly. I wonder what Fox meant by MS "forcing" people to upgrade to be able to play games.

Phased out means something different with OS's then Consoles. Despite that Windows 98, is no longer "officially" supported, almost all programs made for XP will still work with 98. part of the reason that 98 is now outdated, has to do with the fact that after Windows 98 came a huge upgrade for Windows, known as Windows NT, which used a new file system called NTFS. While Windows NT was almost never used on PCs, since NT was a server OS. It did provide the backbone of all future Window's OS's. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista, all are essentially upgraded versions of Windows NT. in fact if you search around you Windows Files, you will find tons of Folders labled "Windows NT"

hmmmm, when Fox talked about MS "forcing" PC gamers to upgrade to Vista, it occured to me, maybe he means that to have Live Anywhere you need Vista. Otherwise you can play Games For Windows on just about any version from the last 9 years.
tramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 tramp
Member since 2003 • 2110 Posts

OMG OMG I CAN GET POINTS ON MY PC NOW!!

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Yeah it's a good way to alienate sony lol
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
I think its a good idea :)
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Games that play on XP are being phased out? All games being released after, what, 6 months will only be installable on Vista?
AdobeArtist
No, of course not. especially if Vista continues to not sell. for the next few years, games will let you choose between playing DX10 on Vista, or with DX9 on XP. eventually XP will be phased out, but it will take a long time. games have only recently begone to not support Windows 98 (though most games can still be played on 98 even if they dont support it).

I didn't think older OSs got phased out THAT quickly. I wonder what Fox meant by MS "forcing" people to upgrade to be able to play games.

Phased out means something different with OS's then Consoles. Despite that Windows 98, is no longer "officially" supported, almost all programs made for XP will still work with 98. part of the reason that 98 is now outdated, has to do with the fact that after Windows 98 came a huge upgrade for Windows, known as Windows NT, which used a new file system called NTFS. While Windows NT was almost never used on PCs, since NT was a server OS. It did provide the backbone of all future Window's OS's. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista, all are essentially upgraded versions of Windows NT. in fact if you search around you Windows Files, you will find tons of Folders labled "Windows NT"

hmmmm, when Fox talked about MS "forcing" PC gamers to upgrade to Vista, it occured to me, maybe he means that to have Live Anywhere you need Vista. Otherwise you can play Games For Windows on just about any version from the last 9 years.

yes, DX10 and Live only are Vista only. Games for Windows itself, is for every OS. With the exception of Halo 2. Remember, Games for Windows, isnt a MS brand. Other then the games that MS makes, they have no control of PC gaming in general.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
any pc gamer that doesn't already have a 360 would be wasting their money.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
I think 360 users who also own a PC will be the only ones using this feature. unless MS comes out with a cross-platform killer-app.
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
I think some people will pay, but imo most people won't cuz look at it this way: why would people pay $50 to play with a smaller online community? the pc online community is already big enough
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Haha, Pc players will cough up $50 just to get the sole satisfaction of owning 360 players in unreal tournament
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Dreams-Visions
Haha, Pc players will cough up $50 just to get the sole satisfaction of owning 360 players in unreal tournament verbalfilth
who said unreal tournament would be a Live Anywhere game?
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts
It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pmr-sheep
us ps3 owners will be on pcs ownming u newbs with a moyse and keyboard
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
[QUOTE="verbalfilth"]Haha, Pc players will cough up $50 just to get the sole satisfaction of owning 360 players in unreal tournament Dreams-Visions

No doubt about it, it will happen. Unreal on the 360 without live will be suicide.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 cobrax25
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="verbalfilth"]Haha, Pc players will cough up $50 just to get the sole satisfaction of owning 360 players in unreal tournament verbalfilth

No doubt about it, it will happen. Unreal on the 360 without live will be suicide.

yes, but that doesnt mean it will be on Windows Live.... besides, even if it is, after a week, PC gamers wont be able to play with the 360 people, because all the PC servers will be modded.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="verbalfilth"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="verbalfilth"]Haha, Pc players will cough up $50 just to get the sole satisfaction of owning 360 players in unreal tournament cobrax25

yes, but that doesnt mean it will be on Windows Live.... besides, even if it is, after a week, PC gamers wont be able to play with the 360 people, because all the PC servers will be modded.

which is what I meant. I think he misunderstood. UT3 will not be a live anywhere game. unless there's some news nugget laying around that I haven't seen.
squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pmr-sheep

You think PC gamer will pay 50$ just to play with console ??

Yeahhh

LMAO it would be a waste of time for PC gamers man, u see what happened to the best console controller gamer who played the best pc gamer on unreal tournament 2? Yes the pc gamer owned him I believe the score was 21 to negative 3, lol. It sounds fun for console players who are up for the challenge but I can promise u, dat u will get owned by PC gamers. Besides dat PC gamers will have to pay for a gold live to play with console players which in my mind is a waste of money since they already know the outcome. Very nice idea but I think this is just MS milking PC gamers for more money just like they already have with us xbox 360 owners with xbox live gold.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :PF-Minus

Yeahhh

Think again :)

>.> Its on cell phones to,so you can play your Live Arcade games.
Lazy_not_fat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lazy_not_fat
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
As long as it's balanced for all the games, i don't mind
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 killab2oo5

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Psquallff8_fan

Yeahhh

LMAO it would be a waste of time for PC gamers man, u see what happened to the best console controller gamer who played the best pc gamer on unreal tournament 2? Yes the pc gamer owned him I believe the score was 21 to negative 3, lol. It sounds fun for console players who are up for the challenge but I can promise u, dat u will get owned by PC gamers. Besides dat PC gamers will have to pay for a gold live to play with console players which in my mind is a waste of money since they already know the outcome. Very nice idea but I think this is just MS milking PC gamers for more money just like they already have with us xbox 360 owners with xbox live gold.

With Shadowrun,a game actually built for Controller vs M/KB players,the players with the controllers won the most games.Ofcourse in a game of UT2 the M/KB players will win no doubt,players with the controller has to have to advantages to even it out.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 cobrax25
[QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pkillab2oo5

Yeahhh

With Shadowrun,a game actually built for Controller vs M/KB players,the players with the controllers won the most games.Ofcourse in a game of UT2 the M/KB players will win no doubt,players with the controller has to have to advantages to even it out.

what they didnt tell you, is that Shadorun has limitations placed on the PC players.
caje47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 caje47
Member since 2005 • 2298 Posts
It's a rip off and even a novice KB/M would own a pro controller.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 killab2oo5
[QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pcobrax25

Yeahhh

what they didnt tell you, is that Shadorun has limitations placed on the PC players.

:)See underlined please...when I said "built for controller vs M/KB players...that means they balanced the game out.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pkillab2oo5

Yeahhh

:)See underlined please...when I said "built for controller vs M/KB players...that means they balanced the game out.

yes, and unfortunatly, no PC gamer will ever buy a game with such limitations.... and cross multiplayer gaming, also means no Mods, which PC gamers find Essential in games.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 killab2oo5
[QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pcobrax25

Yeahhh

yes, and unfortunatly, no PC gamer will ever buy a game with such limitations.... and cross multiplayer gaming, also means no Mods, which PC gamers find Essential in games.

..I already read of a few PC players wanting this game.Surely atleast 1 will buy the game,and many 360 players will buy it.Enough to keep the online suffecient,hopefully.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
It's fre for PC but you pay for such tings as, Matchmaking and MP achievments
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="killab2oo5"][QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

Yeahhh

..I already read of a few PC players wanting this game.Surely atleast 1 will buy the game,and many 360 players will buy it.Enough to keep the online suffecient,hopefully.

PC players want shadorun? where? considering that they are paying pretty much $50 a year for 1 game, I doubt it would please them to much.
Amnesiacx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Amnesiacx
Member since 2004 • 1329 Posts
You're *@(*ing delusional if you think PC gamers who have been playing free online since the dawn of online gaming are going to pay 50 bucks to play with some 360 fanboy noobs.
dreadlord12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dreadlord12345
Member since 2006 • 3073 Posts
i don't know much a bout live anywhere being a hermit i like the idea of playing against xbox players but no way in hell am i paying $50 a year for that
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
I'm not seeing many PC gamers that do both: A) Buy the same titles as console gamers and then b) Spend $50 to play them with console gamers. This is especially true considering how many PC Gamers tend to hate console gamers.
squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

You're *@(*ing delusional if you think PC gamers who have been playing free online since the dawn of online gaming are going to pay 50 bucks to play with some 360 fanboy noobs.Amnesiacx

U got very good taste in games man. :)

Amnesiacx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Amnesiacx
Member since 2004 • 1329 Posts

[QUOTE="Amnesiacx"]You're *@(*ing delusional if you think PC gamers who have been playing free online since the dawn of online gaming are going to pay 50 bucks to play with some 360 fanboy noobs.squallff8_fan

U got very good taste in games man. :)

Thanks. :)
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
PC gamers are smart, don't forget that.
dreadlord12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dreadlord12345
Member since 2006 • 3073 Posts
PC gamers are smart, don't forget that.Paul_TheGreat
we have over 150 AAA why wouldn't we
lazerluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lazerluke
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts

A lot of you have missed the point.

In my group of friends some have playstations, some have xbox 360's and some have PC's. If I have a gaming pc and some of my mates have 360's I would pay to play with them. To say I wouldn't buy Live for Windows because online PC gaming has always been free is just stupid.

PS. I own a PC Lan Gaming Centre and a lot of hermits have 360's. I am one of them.

-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts
It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pmr-sheep

No! Pc gamers wont pay $50 to own 360 gamers... its just milking.
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

Being a PC and Xbox 360 owner I don't think PC only owners will pay for the xbox live fee. BUT this is great for people who own both a PC and a 360.

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"][QUOTE="tranhgiang"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :PF-Minus

Yeahhh

Think again :)

Yea they will, your a fool if u think they wouldnt...people on PC pay for MMO's, forget a $50 a year charge.

People on PC pay for gamespots and IGN's and gamespy's.

People will buy anything if they think its cool or fun.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Being a PC and Xbox 360 owner I don't think PC only owners will pay for the xbox live fee. BUT this is great for people who own both a PC and a 360.

CPM_basic
I agree, there is no way I would pay for this if I only had my PC.
meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#92 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts
$50 to play already free pc games. Why just why?
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :Pmeischris39

More people play WoW than any other...online PC game and u pay for that, I cant see your logic. The only good games that are free are the FPS where people pay to host servers, which isnt free, free for some but definately expensive for a lot others. $50 a year is nothing, people pay just to go on websites, people will buy anything.

I know what your saying, they ARE free but there are plenty of non-free things people are willing to pay for.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 cobrax25

[QUOTE="meischris39"][QUOTE="mr-sheep"]It's a great concept :P Being able to play cross-platform with PC people with my Xbox 360 is GREAT!!! PS3's Home is nothing compared to this :PMrGrimFandango

More people play WoW than any other...online PC game and u pay for that, I cant see your logic. The only good games that are free are the FPS where people pay to host servers, which isnt free, free for some but definately expensive for a lot others. $50 a year is nothing, people pay just to go on websites, people will buy anything.

I know what your saying, they ARE free but there are plenty of non-free things people are willing to pay for.

WOW is an MMO, when MMO's go to console's, you will be paying extra also. and every non-MMO (and even many MMO's) are free on the PC. and its not like your forced into hosting a server.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

Why pay $50 USD a year to play games when I could just play them for free instead?foxhound_fox

I agree with you. See, Im in a unique situation. I own a high end pc AND a 360. For those that just own a PC there are some games that will not port to the PC or port much later. The games that do port, Im sure people will pay $50 for a year of live. Jesus christ you make it seem like the PC folks are third world poor. If they afford to keep their pc upgraded, surely then can afford a subscription to live which is much less than a gig of ram......  :shock:

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 cobrax25

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Why pay $50 USD a year to play games when I could just play them for free instead?Magical_Zebra

I agree with you. See, Im in a unique situation. I own a high end pc AND a 360. For those that just own a PC there are some games that will not port to the PC or port much later. The games that do port, Im sure people will pay $50 for a year of live. Jesus christ you make it seem like the PC folks are third world poor. If they afford to keep their pc upgraded, surely then can afford a subscription to live which is much less than a gig of ram...... :shock:

but a gig or Ram is worth the money. PC live is not.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
[QUOTE="Magical_Zebra"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Why pay $50 USD a year to play games when I could just play them for free instead?cobrax25

I agree with you. See, Im in a unique situation. I own a high end pc AND a 360. For those that just own a PC there are some games that will not port to the PC or port much later. The games that do port, Im sure people will pay $50 for a year of live. Jesus christ you make it seem like the PC folks are third world poor. If they afford to keep their pc upgraded, surely then can afford a subscription to live which is much less than a gig of ram...... :shock:

People will pay for live to be able to play the game online. Its really no way around it. My subscription fees to various crap is: Live, Everquest, Comcast and I believe thats it. I wouldnt need to buy pc live because I have a 360. Those that only have a pc will pay for live if they want to play online.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax25"] but a gig or Ram is worth the money. PC live is not.

Amen.
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts

Yeh, Well i wont be paying 50$ to play with lil kids

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="Magical_Zebra"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Why pay $50 USD a year to play games when I could just play them for free instead?Magical_Zebra

People will pay for live to be able to play the game online. Its really no way around it. My subscription fees to various crap is: Live, Everquest, Comcast and I believe thats it. I wouldnt need to buy pc live because I have a 360. Those that only have a pc will pay for live if they want to play online.

No, the online Gaming itself is free. besides the majority of games, aren't even using live. and wont.