Graphics have become stale

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Whether it's Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall or even Crysis 3 on full-setting, it just doesn't feel like a huge leap from what we've mostly seen throughout the gen. The focus on realism is resulting in both uncanny valley and diminishing gains.

Hooking up Gears of War 1 to a high-definition television was a HUGE leap. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. It even dwarfed most PC games. Yes, Crysis 3 and friends look way better than Gears of War, but it's much less of a jump

Are we going to have to accept graphics getting shittier and shittier over time?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Couth_ said:

lol

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I agree with some of your points. There isn't a huge difference between so-called "next-gen" and latest PC games. In fact, PC games look better than all of next-gen titles.

Also, HDTVs back then started entering consumer market, but now everyone has one. That's one of the biggest reasons why you don't see that "huge" difference.

But there's a massive difference between next-gen and past-gen console titles.

Graphics won't get shittier.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Gears was a small jump over Fear. Then again when you consider Fear's far superior shadows and lighting it may not have been any jump at all. Crysis 3 blew me away as much as any other graphics king from Quake to Doom 3.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Also, HDTVs back then started entering consumer market, but now everyone has one. That's one of the biggest reasons why you don't see that "huge" difference.

I wonder what the actual percentage of HDTV owners is for having an actual good HDTV. I went from a shitty Insignia 32 inch to a 60 inch samsung un6400 and was blown away. I think someone coming from a crummy tv or a computer monitor still can be impressed greatly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Graphics used to be terrible, now they are great. Let's focus on gameplay now.

Graphics are not getting shittier - that's just stupid.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

No way man. Gears came out a year after the 360 launched. Give the PS4 and to a lesser extent the xbone a year or so and I am sure they will blow our minds again.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

After Crysis 1, I kinda felt this diminishing return kicking in.

I wish I can find the old topic here in SW where it was explained that budget, manpower and publishers choosing w/c to publish are the real reason behind this (what slows/hastens progression) and we will still see more leaps in graphics (more expansive, more sophisticated AI and physics, etc.).

EDIT: here

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/diminishing-returns-due-to-technological-barrier-n-29358319/

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I reckon a big reason it's that way is because while graphics might be improving rapidly, things like physics and the way you interact with your environment is still lagging way behind. Developers make a big deal over subtle lighting effects, but interactions haven't improved much at all in a long time. Some games have a more physicalized environment, but they're rare.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

I was blown away by ryse.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

console kids always say this

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Now isn't exactly a good time to whine about this. Come back in two years!

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I have been playing kerbal space program. Watching the sun appear on the horizon as im orbiting kerbin in my spacestation that I made leads me to believe graphics are doin fine,maybe you just need to take a break from the AAA press x to win games for a bit as you seem to be obsessing over graphics rather than gameplay

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By naz99

@farrell2k: no they are not stop it with this $400 pc nonsense, just the fact that you still need to buy windows for now kills that argument, At $500 you are getting into the realm of possibility but $600 is the cheap yet upgradeable sweet spot you need to be in.

Maybe once steam OS becomes a viable alternative you may have a point but not yet

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Law of diminishing returns is why most people wont be impressed with the visual jump, but that is selling them short however as we have just started a new gen and we wont see killer visuals untill like four years down the line.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Whether it's Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall or even Crysis 3 on full-setting, it just doesn't feel like a huge leap from what we've mostly seen throughout the gen. The focus on realism is resulting in both uncanny valley and diminishing gains.

Hooking up Gears of War 1 to a high-definition television was a HUGE leap. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. It even dwarfed most PC games. Yes, Crysis 3 and friends look way better than Gears of War, but it's much less of a jump

Are we going to have to accept graphics getting shittier and shittier over time?

You expect too much from launch software (Ryse/KZ).

Then, you go onto compare GeoW 1 which came out a full year after the 360 launched. I had two copies of GeoW reserved for LAN, and I played the hell out of that game when Gears released a year after the 360 launched.

Perhaps you should make this thread in one year when the Xbone/PS4 are a year old like the 360 was when GeoW released, your prime example. Maybe then you would have a point, as of now, you got zilch.

I'm not saying you won't have a point, I'm saying right now your approach is completely flawed as you gave the 360 a year to produce a game that impressed you and you gave the Xbone/PS4 launch titles. We'll see how the new machines fare in a year with hopefully software that wasn't scaled for PS360.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By naz99

@farrell2k: yeah right mate 21 years building pcs and I dont know what im talking about...

Proclaming you know better than everyone else on a forum does not actually mean you know anything get of your high pc fanboy horse and come back to reality moron.

If you are so sure build one online and show us until then you know **** all

Also linux is not an option YET for the pc if you wnat to compete with consoles you are missing over 90% of the pc catalouge

You are only using it to try and validate your argument

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

hd to hd isnt much like it was sd to hd.

for me its always about the detail and the art style

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

The last couple of games which have impressed me have been more down to the games being visually appealing rather than graphically. Couple weeks ago I was impressed with earthworm jim on the Snes, I was impressed how beautiful the game looks and all its quirky charm. I think the last game was W101 which made me thinks eye candy but then I find all of PG beautiful from Mad World to Vanquish. Overall I dont think graphics have become stale but realism has become a big part of the industry rather than people using their imagination.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By naz99

@farrell2k: lol im a pc only gamer you numpty hows that for assumptions ....

Crappy power supply , the athlon x4 is not compatible with the motheboard you listed and tje gfx card is weaker than whats in the ps4 even without considering console optimisation and stull no windows ....congrats you just owned yourself

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I keep seeing these threads but they are always quick to leave out any kind of comparison pics of previous launch games. Look at a gameplay video of Shadowfall and compare it to Resistance:Fall of man, it's an incredible difference.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Glasses and LASIK have come a long way........look into them.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

You kind of had a point until you claimed that graphics have become shittier.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@crimsonman1245 said:

I keep seeing these threads but they are always quick to leave out any kind of comparison pics of previous launch games. Look at a gameplay video of Shadowfall and compare it to Resistance:Fall of man, it's an incredible difference.

Yes. Shadow Fall is a dramatic upgrade from Resistance: Fall of Man, but Resistance is pretty ugly. If you compare Shadow Fall to the best looking games on PS3/360, the difference is not nearly as dramatic.

That being said, PS4/X1 should be given time to produce more impressive looking games than Shadow Fall and Ryse.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@naz99 said:

@farrell2k: yeah right mate 21 years building pcs and I di not know what im talking about...

Proclaming you know better than everyone else on a forum does not actually mean you know anything get of your high pc fanboy horse snd cime back to reality moron.

If you are so sure build one online and show us until then you know fick all

You are not the only one who has been building since the 90s...

Here

and another

and another

and another

$400 pc hardware will outperform the PS4. If you crybabys can't deal with this now, i can only imagine how you will feel in 6 months when hardware prices drop even lower while the PS4 price remains at $400. Oh, the cow butthurt!

7850 is not stronger than the PS4.

4GB ram is not enough for several new games.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Graphics are getting better, just slowly, obviously. BF4 maxed out looks amazing and runs really well (now that they have pretty much fixed it). I am sure by the end of this gen (in the next couple of years actually) we will see games that are a significant step up. Witcher 3 looks amazing as well. So does Infamous Second Son.

With that said, I am not tweaking out about it too much, since games are looking phenomenal, and I just want phenomenal ideas and gameplay with it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I'm disappointed too. With the current gen consoles (X1/PS4), I remember thinking 'is that it? after 8 years... that's it?'. Graphic are such a small leap it's unbelievable,

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By naz99

@farrell2k: amazing! You continue to fail in your argument yet still claim ownage just like a true fanboy. And your tiny little brain cannot comprehend that we are not cows yet you continue to say we are....its because that is sall you have

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 drekula2

@GreySeal9 said:

You kind of had a point until you claimed that graphics have become shittier.

Sorry. I should've said GRAPHICAL JUMPS have become shittier and shittier.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

There will always be room for improvement. Higher resolutions, more objects on screen, bigger worlds, better physics, better animations, better AI, etc, etc

As for PS4 and X1, the jump was as big as before. Look at BF4, for example: It went from subHD, 30fps and 24 players, to 900p, 60fps, 64players and improved graphics. Pretty big jump, especially considering it's a multiplatform, launch, cross-generation game.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 drekula2

@PAL360 said:

There will always be room for improvement. Higher resolutions, more objects on screen, bigger worlds, better physics, better animations, better AI, etc, etc

As for PS4 and X1, the jump was as big as before. Look at BF4, for example: It went from subHD, 30fps and 24 players, to 900p, 60fps, 64players and improved graphics. Pretty big jump, especially considering it's a multiplatform, launch, cross-generation game.

but was it as big a jump as Majora's Mask to Eternal Darkness or Super Mario World to Super Mario 64.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@drekula2 said:

@PAL360 said:

but was it as big a jump as Majora's Mask to Eternal Darkness or Super Mario World to Super Mario 64.

The jump will never be as obvious as before, especially if you look back to the transition from 2D to 3D, or plain polygons to textured ones, but that's only because the graphics are already very good. Like i said above, now we see other improvements, like particles, physics and scale, which are less visual but equally important improvements.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drekula2

But will there ever be a giant revolutionary jump again?

Ryse for example looks so realistic, but still suffers from uncanny valley and years from now there will be much better stuff out there. Like when Mortal Kombat came out for the Genesis, my thoughts at the time, were "wow, those are great graphics! i doubt they'll ever get better"

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
@farrell2k said:

@kraken2109 said:

@farrell2k said:

@naz99 said:

@farrell2k: yeah right mate 21 years building pcs and I di not know what im talking about...

Proclaming you know better than everyone else on a forum does not actually mean you know anything get of your high pc fanboy horse snd cime back to reality moron.

If you are so sure build one online and show us until then you know fick all

You are not the only one who has been building since the 90s...

Here

and another

and another

and another

$400 pc hardware will outperform the PS4. If you crybabys can't deal with this now, i can only imagine how you will feel in 6 months when hardware prices drop even lower while the PS4 price remains at $400. Oh, the cow butthurt!

7850 is not stronger than the PS4.

4GB ram is not enough for several new games.

Cows still in denial. 7850 is about 3% slower than the ps4, but the pc cpu is much more powerful. The ps4 only has 4.5 GB for video and games after the ps4 os eats up 3.5 GB ram. That pc has 3.5GB ram for games + 512MB for Linux OS + 1 GB ram for video. That video card and cpu in the pc can be overclocked, something you cannot do with the PS4, which makes it even more powerful than the PS4, but this is not even needed due to it having a faster CPU. It's time you cows stop denying reality. The PS4 is almost as powerful as $400 pc hardware. Just accept it, becasue in 6 months it is only going to be as powerful as $329 PC hardware. It's just how pc hardware is. It is nothing to be ashamed of, so I just don't understand all the butthurt. Did cows really expect the PS4 to be more powerful than a comparably priced PC or something?

Yep, you got me, I'm a massive cow.

Hence my PC and 157 games on Steam.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

I would agree. pc graphics have really gone down hill. nothing but indie games. fortunately the ps4 is graphics saving grace.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@farrell2k: pc panhandler jelly confirmed. B-)

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Couth_ said:

lol

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I don't know. Bf4 at max settings and 1080p is pretty impressive. The lighting in that game surprises you. At times the photorealism is scary. Thats been the game that shows what we have to look forward too. Bf4 looks better than crysis 3 imo.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

Yes.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I stopped caring about graphics the day i regreat not playing Windwaker on day 1 because i thought the graphics were too kiddy and not realistic enough...nowadays i can enjoy Super Mario 3D World Graphics as well as some less "good" graphics like The Last of Us (compared to BF4 for example) and i just don't care as long as the game is good and there is a great concept in the art department.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

If you arent impressed yet, then just wait for ND to put out their game

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

that's cuz gears 1 was revolutionary AND good looking. crysis 3, kz and ryse are all as generic and trashy as it gets. tw3 will be the first game to demonstrate good graphics with things not possible last gen, play that and come here saying your 'graphics are stale'