Gordon Freeman vs. Master Chief vs. Nathan Drake

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Gordon Freeman.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

In my opinion, from solid, good experience with all game franchises, I just find the silent protagonist to be better than the protagonists of both Halo and Uncharted franchises. Freeman can go through a town, fighting a bunch of zombies when no one could, but he did it anyway. Plus, he has a degree, which is better than treasure hunting skills. The hazard suit is also better than the spartan armor. But hey, I'm a good guy. You can vote who is the best game character out of the three right now.

sonic1564

As far as canon goes Master Chief would fvck both of them up. He'd fvck up the zombies which are nothing compared to the Flood, and he'd fvck the Combine so hard they'd retreat and never come back, as the Covenent are much more powerful.

EzekyleAbadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 EzekyleAbadon
Member since 2010 • 1391 Posts

Dey all 'Umies. I will krump 'em all like da rest of 'em. We 'Ave more Dakka, more choppa's, and we are dead 'Ard wez are. Dem 'Umie gitz got nofing on da boyz. Wez da Orkz, and wez fer fighn' and winning!WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!

WAAAAAAGH!

So it's obvious who I support:P

lordreaven

Gorgutz? Nah, Bluddflagg is much better.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Nathan Drake..

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#105 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Gordon Freeman

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Battle of the Bland. At least Gordon Freeman is an honest hollow shell who is more of a narrative device then a either a dull as bricks half arsed character, or a contradictory smug inhuman 'everyman'. They all suck for different reasons, hooray!
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
At least Drake has personality.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Nathan drake is the best IMO, I just don't get the appeal of master chief, and I don't personally like freeman.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Is Freeman's charming personality winning everyone over in here? I've always felt it was a bit...lacking.

Nothing wrong with a silent protagonist, but I think it's ridiculous to say he's an awesome character.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#111 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
a brick vs a slightly more entertaining brick vs poor man's nathan fillion. Meh I'll take poor man's Nathan Fillion.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Is Freeman's charming personality winning everyone over in here? I've always felt it was a bit...lacking.

Nothing wrong with a silent protagonist, but I think it's ridiculous to say he's an awesome character.

Ross_the_Boss6

Frying pan > rolling pin > crow bar !! :twisted:

MC wins !! :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Truth is...Gordon Freeman isn't really a brilliant scientist. Or that person before was lying. I heard word from a fourm some time ago that Gordon Freeman was actually just a lowlife janitor and everyone JOKED about the PhD stuff and when the aliens came they just said to hell with it and called him a scientist.

Still...I'm not sure that's correct. I think he was just making that up...not to sure.

Goyoshi12

what im saying is that he isn't a character. he has no personality, doesnt talk, we dont know anything about him. hes just an avatar there to give you a reason to shoot s*** he could be the damn easter bunny and it wouldnt have any effect on the story or gameplay

It would damn well affect the story and gameplay! Yeah, fine, he's mute. Why the hell does that matter? How come games like DA:O, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls games, and other such games get away with this? He has no personality? HE'S YOU. You GIVE him ther personaility. You develop his story along the way. You evolve him as a character.

I prefer non-talking characters over chitter-chattering characters out there like those found in Final Fantasy games.

he cant be a manifestation of me. i talk, i have emotion, i can think for myself and make my own decisions. DA, KOTOR and ES games all let you create your own character, decide what kind of person hes gonna be and give you dialogue options. gordon freeman isn't a character. he has no personality, no brain, no nothing.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Master Chief is only as good as your imagination--designed so that the player takes the helm. People hating on him are hating on themselves.

Nathan Drake--I was surprised by the depth of the character. I didn't expect a 30-something with down to earth thoughts/emotions. Uncharted2 was hayped to death for me, and it exceeded it in every way. I think I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the character-centric story of Uncharted 3.

Freeman is rather lousy. One, he doesn't speak, so one cannot relate in the nathan drake sense of similarities. Two, he is too fleshed out to work in the Master Chief way. Three, the hipster look is just annoying.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#115 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Dr. Freeman is the best of these 3.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Nathan Drake, he has fabulous hair.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts

I thought these threads were banned? Whatever.

Chief would tear out both of their spines and floss with them.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Gordon sucks hes a mute character with no personality except that which the other characters imply.

But I do love the replies of how hes more powerful than the other 2 *lie* or how master chief is just a generic space marine...except Freeman is just a dude in a power suit thats about it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Nathan Drake, he has fabulous hair. Heil68

Plus he railed two girls in one game. Never been done before. (std ridden gta girls don't count, sorry)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Nathan Drake, he has fabulous hair. Heirren

Plus he railed two girls in one game. Never been done before. (std ridden gta girls don't count, sorry)

Never played The Sims Eh ? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Nathan Drake, he has fabulous hair. SecretPolice

Never played The Sims Eh ? :P

dsds

Women that dance like that aren't worth it, and do not count.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#123 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
gordon. he's not that great of a character (coming from someone who's favorite game ever is hl2), but he sure as hell beats out the 2 generic, cliche, and somewhat annoying other characters.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#125 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]gordon. he's not that great of a character (coming from someone who's favorite game ever is hl2), but he sure as hell beats out the 2 generic, cliche, and somewhat annoying other characters.sts106mat
straight away having the name gordon means he loses 10000 cool points & then he wears glasses so.....

im not saying he's the best character ever. i'm saying that it was quite hard dealing with those other 2 as my protagonists-with an exception of master chief in the first halo; he had a very acceptable personality and didn't throw in overused/generic/cliche sayings over and over. i guess the lack of personality in gordon freeman leaves room for the user's interpretation. leaving that space for interpretation is usually a good thing in anything ranging from music to games. letting the player explore their mind and find reasoning behind certain design decisions can be a great way to immerse the player if set in an environment that allows for it. the lack of personality in gordon is also what makes any title of the half-life series a better game. just imagine gordon having one of those annoying, over-talkative, immersion-destroying personalities; half-life would NOT be the same great franchise. while the halo and uncharted environments and gameplay allow for their personalities to work with them, i just did not find the other two characters as appealing.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Gordon Freeman is an avatar not a character, an empty vessel.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 mems_1224

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] straight away having the name gordon means he loses 10000 cool points & then he wears glasses so.....sts106mat

im not saying he's the best character ever. i'm saying that it was quite hard dealing with those other 2 as my protagonists-with an exception of master chief in the first halo; he had a very acceptable personality and didn't throw in overused/generic/cliche sayings over and over. i guess the lack of personality in gordon freeman leaves room for the user's interpretation. leaving that space for interpretation is usually a good thing in anything ranging from music to games. letting the player explore their mind and find reasoning behind certain design decisions can be a great way to immerse the player if set in an environment that allows for it. the lack of personality in gordon is also what makes any title of the half-life series a better game. just imagine gordon having one of those annoying, over-talkative, immersion-destroying personalities; half-life would NOT be the same great franchise. while the halo and uncharted environments and gameplay allow for their personalities to work with them, i just did not find the other two characters as appealing.

i was actually only joking.

master chief isn't really a character, he rarely speaks which i like. with FPS games, i prefer the halo / Half life approach , i like it to be me thats in the game. having an actual character works much better for third person games as you are looking at them and seeing things happen to them, rather than to you.

thats why i enjoyed farcry and fallout 3, you were never shown your appearance or taken out of the first person view, the immersion factor is a huge deal for me in long - first person games.

master chief does have some bad ass one liners. dude is like the perfect sci fi action hero. her rarely talks but when he does its awesome lol.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Drake > Chief > everyone else > Freeman.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="lordreaven"]

Dey all 'Umies. I will krump 'em all like da rest of 'em. We 'Ave more Dakka, more choppa's, and we are dead 'Ard wez are. Dem 'Umie gitz got nofing on da boyz. Wez da Orkz, and wez fer fighn' and winning!WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!

*pic*

So it's obvious who I support:P

EzekyleAbadon

Gorgutz? Nah, Bluddflagg is much better.

I agree, I just pulled up Gorgutz becasue he was the first Ork pic I saw. Bluddflag is the greatest warboss ever. And probebly the one the most interesting characters I've seen too. Orks can have great stories if people actually tried to write for them.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Freeman is a mute, Master Chief only says one-liners so Drake wins by default

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

I thought it said Gordon Ramsey.He beats them all though.

But out of those,Freeman by a mile.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Freeman, because he says nothing you feel you are freeman.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 mems_1224

kraken2109
so you dont ever talk and just blindly follow what other people tell you to do?
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

Why do people complain about Gordon Freeman? Runner-up for best video game hero here on Gamespot was Mario... you gonna bring up the 'has no writing' card when your sorry butt voted for Mario? Some Mexican plumber that grows dope and shrooms in his backyard, pretending they're radishes, going on acid trips where he dreams about being able to fly off into space and jump on flying turtles' heads? Please.

Short-a** bastard's probably not even a real plumber. More like the lawn mower guy. yeah... shrubs be the only thing his ass is 'fixin', huehuehue...

BALLIN

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#136 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Gordon Freeman isn't much of a character; he's more of a symbol. You never really know what his motives are, what he's feeling, or who he is other than the game world's impression of him as some heroic figure that saved the world.

I voted for Master Chief solely because he's a fairly silent protagonist, but you at least he has some character and personality revealed to the player. The most I ever saw of Gordon Freeman was in the artwork for Half-Life 1 and 2.

Nathan Drake is a total a-hole and an arrogant, annoying character. I legitimately enjoy making him jump to his death off mountains and ledges because his snide remarks and cliched one-liners are infinitely grating. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy him as an individual, or actually think the Uncharted games have good, believable, and unique characters.

Basically: this poll has crappy choices.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#137 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9876 Posts
Don't have any preference, but I'm pretty sure Drake is the correct answer.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Drake, Freeman then Chief.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Gordon Freeman isn't much of a character; he's more of a symbol. You never really know what his motives are, what he's feeling, or who he is other than the game world's impression of him as some heroic figure that saved the world.

I voted for Master Chief solely because he's a fairly silent protagonist, but you at least he has some character and personality revealed to the player. The most I ever saw of Gordon Freeman was in the artwork for Half-Life 1 and 2.

Nathan Drake is a total a-hole and an arrogant, annoying character. I legitimately enjoy making him jump to his death off mountains and ledges because his snide remarks and cliched one-liners are infinitely grating. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy him as an individual, or actually think the Uncharted games have good, believable, and unique characters.

princeofshapeir

It takes some seriously horrible childhood / teenage events to turn someone into the type of person that would have that sort of opinion on Nathan Drake.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#140 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

arkephonic

It takes some seriously horrible childhood / teenage events to turn someone into the type of person that would have that sort of opinion on Nathan Drake.

That was a bit of an exaggeration, but the point still stands that Drake is a cliched, one-dimensional character who is ripped entirely from Hollywood action movies.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

mems_1224
so you dont ever talk and just blindly follow what other people tell you to do?

Yes.