Good or bad time to move to PC gaming?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

apollo333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 apollo333
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts

I'm getting annoyed with how bad console graphics are now, so I've been considering switching to PC gaming by the time AC3 and Hitman come out. (And then I'd be able to play GTA V and Watch Dogs on PC when they come out later.) But to build a PC I'd probably have to sell my PS3/games and my MacBook Pro. And then my concern is that the PS4 will come out with amazing graphics and games (Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo) and I'll wish I was back on consoles!

So... should I just deal with the relatively bad graphics and stick to consoles, or switch to PC and hope I can either live without PS4 or that I have more money by then?

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

What matters to a game: gameplay or graphics? Answer that.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

thom_maytees

PC has more games, and the best version of every multiplat ....

So both wins with PC.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

thom_maytees

Unless you are attatched to a specific console exclusive IP then I would say PC gaming has a greater varaity of gameplay and graphics. I would say that consoles have the edge in motion controls (though the razer hydra is pretty sweet) I'm not really a big fan of them. There are a huge ammount of great indie games that are really cheap and fun on PC, also steam is amazing. Soon there is gonna be the steam summer sale, and man that is a fun time to be a PC gamer. Last year I bought like 8 games for $25 which would have probably cost me $100 at full price.

PC is a great platform, and so are consoles. Remember, it's always great to have both.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

Jankarcop

So both wins with PC.

and is also very unlocal multiplayer freindly and has a higher start up cost and regardless of what some herm around here would have you believe it does require a bit you knowledge if you plan on building your own rig.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

Jankarcop

So both wins with PC.

Eh, PC multiplats can sometimes play victim to really bad DRM and certain ports aren't worth the discs they're printed on. But when done right? PC always wins.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

Jankarcop

So both wins with PC.

Eh, PC multiplats can sometimes play victim to really bad DRM and certain ports aren't worth the discs they're printed on. But when done right? PC always wins.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

When you play a multiplat on PC the only really great thing is playing in 1080P. The exclusives suck. Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft. It's hard to tell because Hermits hype up garbage games like Metro 2033 but PC got no games kinda like 360.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

save up some money and get a Gaming Rig. The whole switching or moving notion needs to end..nothing is wrong with having the best of both worlds.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

ANOTHER thread about teh graphics and PC gaming? Sheez

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

blah blah blah

Pray_to_me

Nobody cares.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I really don't know if it's a bad time to move to PC gaming. I keep hearing how most developers prefer to develop on consoles, and are moving to consoles only, due to it's unified platform, but I'm not sure. Until it actually happens altogether then I'd actually worry. I just started gaming on my PC, about 6-7 months ago, since I finally built one capable of doing so, and I find that there are so many free titles out there, which you would never find on a console. There are a lot of RTS games also, which only seem to work with a keyboard and mouse, as a controller just doesn't seem suited for those type of games. Lord of the Rings RTS for the 360/ps3 seemed to get it almost right . I think it's a good time to be a gamer on all platforms if you can. I prefer not to miss out on great games, no matter what platform their on. I'm not swearing allegiance to any one system.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Never a bad time...
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
console graphics look just fine to me.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

save up some money and get a Gaming Rig. The whole switching or moving notion needs to end..nothing is wrong with having the best of both worlds.

lawlessx
Indeed. Each has their benefits.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
console graphics look just fine to me.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

yeah you got this smugness about you so you'll fit right in with pc gaming.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

I really don't know if it's a bad time to move to PC gaming. I keep hearing how most developers prefer to develop on consoles, and are moving to consoles only, due to it's unified platform, but I'm not sure

godzillavskong

Where are you hearing this? we have seen more console only dev's develop games on the Pc thos gen, plus the fact that many dev's are focusing on PC more because how limiting current consoles are.

2013th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 2013th
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

I wouldn't move to pc gaming just to play multiplats though.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

2013th
O I dont know about that, examples like Skyrim pr BF3, and many others are just plain better on Pc.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

If you have to sell that much, it's probably not worth it

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

selling that much stuff for a pc to play multiplats?

lolno

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
console graphics look just fine to me.mems_1224
A person used to console graphics would say that. Being used to PC graphics first, then trying to play on console is a different story.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

it's always the time

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I'm getting annoyed with how bad console graphics are now, so I've been considering switching to PC gaming by the time AC3 and Hitman come out. (And then I'd be able to play GTA V and Watch Dogs on PC when they come out later.) But to build a PC I'd probably have to sell my PS3/games and my MacBook Pro. And then my concern is that the PS4 will come out with amazing graphics and games (Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo) and I'll wish I was back on consoles!

So... should I just deal with the relatively bad graphics and stick to consoles, or switch to PC and hope I can either live without PS4 or that I have more money by then?

apollo333

you just need to sell the macbook. mac;s actually have ridiculously good resale value. last gen's macbooks and some of the ones ebfore that still sell for several hundred and its likely watchdogs wont take anything over what next gen will likely be so you could sell the macbook. build a pc and pocket 100 bucks for yourself lulz

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Consumer strategy wise yes it's a good time.

You can build a PC now, use it for a few years, and wait for PS4 price drop.

Every few years switch over and play the backlog.

Wait for price drops.

Don't sell your PS3, you never know what game will catch your fancy.

Sell the macbook and use a desktop PC instead.

Even if you end up not liking PC gaming, you'll still have a computer for general use.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

If you want to go to forums and brag all day and have zero games and exclusives to play, go for PC

If you want the most amazing games, day one and with stunning graphics that PC will never get (Witcher 2, Halo 4, GEars 3-4 etc) get xbox 360 and xbox 720 later

Remember xbox 360 + 720 will cost half of a gaming PC and you will own two systems !!! and will have like 1000x more and better games to play and exclusives that PC does not get

The best graphics are console only too, games like FF15 and Gears 4 are only on consoles, PC will get the usual DX9 graphics it gets for years now

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

If you want to go to forums and brag all day and have zero games and exclusives to play, go for PC

If you want the most amazing games, day one and with stunning graphics that PC will never get (Witcher 2, Halo 4, GEars 3-4 etc) get xbox 360 and xbox 720 later

Remember xbox 360 + 720 will cost half of a gaming PC and you will own two systems !!! and will have like 1000x more and better games to play and exclusives that PC does not get

The best graphics are console only too, games like FF15 and Gears 4 are only on consoles, PC will get the usual DX9 graphics it gets for years now

loosingENDS
Try harder...
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]console graphics look just fine to me.Merex760
A person used to console graphics would say that. Being used to PC graphics first, then trying to play on console is a different story.

i can stillplay n64, snes, ps2, nes and gameboy games just fine. Graphics are nice, and i cant wait to be able to play some good looking games on pc but they arent that important to me
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
It's always a good time.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

You should have already switched ;D The gap just gets bigger and bigger, PC has the most good scoring games this gen, a fantastic indie scene, tons of mods, freedom of input devices (you can actually play with x360 / ps3 controller if you don't like kb/m, even though kb/m is very good for shooters)

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Never a bad time to start pc gaming. The crisper, cleaner visuals and stable framerates are just bonuses.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Having all systems is always best, however i wont do that again, this was the last time i'd get all systems (Pc + Consoles)..

PC Gaming is great but having 1x console to go along with it is even better :)

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
its always a good time to move to pc gaming.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
As a gamer with a somewhat broad taste, I find that the best possible combo to cover as many great games possible while enjoying them at the greatest possible quality tends to be PC + PS1/2/3. PS3 isn't nearly as great as PS2 in terms of exclusives, but it's more worthwhile than 360. I'm not sure about next gen considering the spot Sony is in. We'll see.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="2013th"]

04dcarraher

O I dont know about that, examples like Skyrim pr BF3, and many others are just plain better on Pc.

BF3 is worse on PC. Deal with it.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="2013th"]

Pug-Nasty

BF3 is crap, but the PC version is still better then the low rez sub hd console versions, not even mentioning the tiny maps.

PC gaming is different then console, depends on what type of games you like really, console gaming is a lot more simplistic and less complicated.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] O I dont know about that, examples like Skyrim pr BF3, and many others are just plain better on Pc.tenaka2

BF3 is crap, but the PC version is still better then the low rez sub hd console versions, not even mentioning the tiny maps.

PC gaming is different then console, depends on what type of games you like really, console gaming is a lot more simplistic and less complicated.

Graphics just don't make a game good or not.

I've never seen anyone playing a game and say, "this game is ass, but it looks good so I'll keep playing it."

The Ps3 version of BF3 is a lot less glitchy than the PC version, and it has better hit detection. Still pretty crappy though.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="Merex760"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]console graphics look just fine to me.mems_1224

i can stillplay n64, snes, ps2, nes and gameboy games just fine. Graphics are nice, and i cant wait to be able to play some good looking games on pc but they arent that important to me

I can actually kinda agree, I think graphics improving is important though. If you're playing a PS2 or N64 it's fine because you realize it's old.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"]

I really don't know if it's a bad time to move to PC gaming. I keep hearing how most developers prefer to develop on consoles, and are moving to consoles only, due to it's unified platform, but I'm not sure

04dcarraher

Where are you hearing this? we have seen more console only dev's develop games on the Pc thos gen, plus the fact that many dev's are focusing on PC more because how limiting current consoles are.

Was about to write the same response to him...

To the TC,it's always a good time to switch to PC gaming,there is never a shortage of games to play,due to modding,full backwards compatibility,cheaper games,and not ahving to chose between good graphics and gameplay.Just have both :)

Only flaws you may run into would be some annoying DRMs,and some bad ports.However,they're not so often anymore.Devs are getting smarter,and stay away from heavily intrusive DRMs and barely working ports,since they know they won't get much money then...

Avatar image for deactivated-5df236af85f29
deactivated-5df236af85f29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5df236af85f29
Member since 2011 • 481 Posts

its always a good time to join the elites

and its definitely a good time to move from the pre historic shythole known as console gaming

besides,PC is objectively better anyway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5df236af85f29
its always a good time to join the elites and its definitely a good time to move from the pre historic shythole known as console gaming besides,PC is objectively better anyway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5df236af85f29
its always a good time to join the elites and its definitely a good time to move from the pre historic shythole known as console gaming besides,PC is objectively better anyway
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

It is the worst time really

PC has no exlusives left, the only one Diablo is a nightmares of hackers and the online only blackmail will ruin the experience completly

Consoles are cheaper, have no issues and have all the exlusives

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

It is the worst time really

PC has no exlusives left, the only one Diablo is a nightmares of hackers and the online only blackmail will ruin the experience completly

Consoles are cheaper, have no issues and have all the exlusives

loosingENDS
We already shut you down in your old thread. No need to spread your crap elsewhere.