Giantbomb : The Upgraded PlayStation 4 is Codenamed NEO, Contains Upgraded CPU, GPU, RAM - UPDATED (Elaborated by DF)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@quadknight said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@quadknight: They are never going to complete with PC trying to keep a $399 limit on the price. Exclusives and PlayStation associated games should see a nice bump though.

....and this is why I'll be upgrading. Sony makes the best exclusives IMO and I want to play their exclusives with the best graphics possible.

It's not going to be native 4k resolution for games.

No shit Sherlock. It can't do 4K native with those anemic specs.

This is to get an extra bump in resolution and fps for future PS4 games (1080p instead of maybe 900p and 30fps instead of 20fps).

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts
@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:
@quadknight said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@quadknight: They are never going to complete with PC trying to keep a $399 limit on the price. Exclusives and PlayStation associated games should see a nice bump though.

....and this is why I'll be upgrading. Sony makes the best exclusives IMO and I want to play their exclusives with the best graphics possible.

This is to get an extra bump in resolution and fps for future PS4 games (1080p instead of maybe 900p and 30fps instead of 20fps).

I bet it could do some 4K indie games.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Day fucking one. Just take my money already.

The Xboner is going to be put on life support...it's barely clinging to life as it is. Could be the final nail in the coffin.

Can't wait to hear Phil damage control this. Nya meltdown imminent.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#104 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20249 Posts

@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

So, it's just an overclocked APU with an additional better GPU? Meh, I'll wait for a new console generation

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

This thing will shit all over the NX, even if it does have the fake rumored Polaris GPU.

Nintendo execs must be shitting bricks right about now. Nobody can stop the genius Mark Cerny.

You're an idiot, a GPU with 4 TFLOPS will be severely bottle-necked with that tablet APU Sony is using.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 xhawk27

@hitmanactual said:

The Xboner is going to be put on life support...it's barely clinging to life as it is. Could be the final nail in the coffin.

I am selling my Xbone! Are you sure Scalebound is going to get a PC port?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#106 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

the best information there is that there will be zero allowed exclusive software or content for the Neo, as in ps4 owners won't be excluded from any content.

I have my doubts that Sony would actually stick to that for a significant amount of time, much less a whole gen. I would also be worried about some Ps4 versions playing absolutely awfully, where the game might as well be called a Neo exclusive. Still, Sony gets more points than Nintendo already, who have software for the New 3DS that won't play on a 3DS

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 NotAFanboy
Member since 2015 • 573 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

So, it's just an overclocked APU with an additional better GPU? Meh, I'll wait for a new console generation

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

This thing will shit all over the NX, even if it does have the fake rumored Polaris GPU.

Nintendo execs must be shitting bricks right about now. Nobody can stop the genius Mark Cerny.

You're an idiot, a GPU with 4 TFLOPS will be severely bottle-necked with that tablet APU Sony is using.

Yeah, I'm sure armchair chip designers like you know more than Mark Cerny, the guy who invented the legendary PS4 SoC.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#108 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Oh I hadn't seen the earlier thread. Good I guees, I'm still keeping this ps4 I got. Nothing worth until I see a price tag and if older games get patched.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#109 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

So Sony is going to fragment their own userbase then. That's smart.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:
@quadknight said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

R9-290 can do 4K games at console's frame rates. It depends on the detail settings.

I was running Tomb Raider 2013 at 5760x1080p Eyeinfinity on my old R9-290 reference card and it couldn't maintain the 947 clock speed. The CPU is Intel Core i5-2500K.

8 core Jaguar at 2.1 Ghz would be a problem.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 QuadKnight

@xhawk27 said:
@hitmanactual said:

Good choice. Xbone is a already an outdated POS with the current PS4 around, imagine how bad it will be once Neo hits.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@mjorh said:
@dynamitecop said:

I was expecting more, you don't think that CPU is going to bottleneck that GPU? That's hardly an improvement, that's only a 500Mhz increase in frequency with a GPU twice as powerful...

That doesn't seem right.

Hmmmm.....what would be the equivalent of that CPU in Intel?

It's a tablet CPU, so I have no idea, the reality is though it's basically got the performance output of an i3.

I can attest a i3 is perfectly fine for gaming depending on your GPU. I only have a gtx 960 and I am experiencing no bottleneck, but from the way people are talking....I was expecting a i5 and 970 or something. I seriously feel sorry for early PS4 adopters. Hardly any big exclusives and now they have to buy the weak PSVR and a new console? lol. jeeze.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By QuadKnight

@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:
@quadknight said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

R9-290 can do 4K games at console's frame rates. It depends on the detail settings.

I was running Tomb Raider 2013 at 5760x1080p Eyeinfinity on my old R9-290 reference card and it couldn't maintain the 947 clock speed.

Well now that you put it that way I suppose it's possible but why bother. Playing at 20fps with mid/low settings wouldn't be worth it just to get 4K.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By xhawk27

@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:
@hitmanactual said:

Good choice. Xbone is a already an outdated POS with the current PS4 around, imagine how bad it will be once Neo hits.

Yeah its going to be bad.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 intotheminx

@gamecubepad said:

Those are decent specs at $400. Probably perform something like a 380.

I'm glad I haven't bought a PS4 at this point. Basically a last gen system after PS4k launches.

A 380? You're lucky if it hits a gtx 950 level, which I can't imagine.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 svaubel

@quadknight said:
@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:
@quadknight said:

I was running Tomb Raider 2013 at 5760x1080p Eyeinfinity on my old R9-290 reference card and it couldn't maintain the 947 clock speed.

Well now that you put it that way I suppose it's possible but why bother. Playing at 20fps with mid/low settings wouldn't be worth it just to get 4K.

Right. If youre going to play at a higher resolution, have the hardware to make it worth it. Whats the point of going from 1080p to 4k for example, if you had to turn everything down just to get a stable framerate.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 FireEmblem_Man

@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

Yeah, I'm sure armchair chip designers like you know more than Mark Cerny, the guy who invented the legendary PS4 SoC.

He didn't invent anything! AMD is the one that created the Jaguar Cores and just stuck 2 Quad Cores together! You think he invented GDDR5, but he didn't as it's been out since ATi started to use it in 2008 with the Radeon HD 4000 series

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@hitmanactual said:

Not sure about Scalebound anymore. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be like the supposed killer game Quantum Break and be barely a 6/10 game. Seeing as the Xboner is so underpowered, you can't help but wonder what compromises will need to be made to make the game playable without making your eyes bleed.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#119 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

I don't think so , the devs are getting used to gpgpu tools more and more this gen.

A 500 mhz increase across 8 cores is also a pretty big increase. That would match the cpu almost with an I5 sandy bridge. That will only be barely enough for 4k but i suspect the games will be upscaled.

Just like the memory , I don't think 8 gb will be enough for 4k, but I should be able to handle a near 4k upscaled resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I'm surprised so many console fanboys are okay with this. You used to always hear people talk about not having to worry about upgrades as a pro for consoles. I guess the idea just needed Sony's name on it.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 intotheminx

@emgesp said:
@mjorh said:
@emgesp said:
@mjorh said:

ny will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4. That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance. But again, don't expect those differences to transfer to online modes.

Since this is coming from GB , it's a legit rumor.

It's not a huge upgrade , i think NEO can maintain 30fps without dipping to 20s....well, that's an achievement for a console.

Thoughts?

With those specs we are looking at around 2x more performance. So, stable 30fps games could potentially be relatively stable 60fps with the PS4K.

Not with that CPU, and i think devs would go with better graphics over fps given how mainstream audience aka casuals respond to graphics...

Games are mainly GPU driven. If you look at PC performance there isn't a huge loss in FPS from one CPU to another until you hit really old Dual Core designs.

This. I have a i3 and a 960 and experience no bottleneck issue. I'd imagine I wouldn't until I put a 980 in my case.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 QuadKnight

@beardmad said:

I'm surprised so many console fanboys are okay with this. You used to always hear people talk about not having to worry about upgrades as a pro for consoles. I guess the idea just needed Sony's name on it.

I'm actually not okay with it to be honest but what can you do. It seems the industry is changing and Sony is doing the same.

I guess I'll have to be upgrading my PC as well as my console now :(

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ronvalencia

@quadknight said:
@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:

That's high details not max/ultra details. There's little need for MSAA at 4K.

You get a large performance boost with one step down details settings.

For visual "bang per buck" quality, ultimate settings are just wasteful.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 QuadKnight

@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:

That's high details not max details. There's little need for MSAA at 4K.

Hmmmm....interesting. We shall see then.

What kind of CPU were you running?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Might get it for the 4K Bluray player....the only one out is Samsung and its 400 and can't play games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Might get it for the 4K Bluray player....the only one out is Samsung and its 400 and can't play games.

Pretty much like what happened when the PS3 launched

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By intotheminx

So...you guys are ok with this? I can't imagine devs are happy about it. Might as well bury the original PS4. I feel sorry for people that bought one in the last few months. Sony knows how to shoot itself in the foot.

I was expecting a new console around 2018, but now? lol. Good times.

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 NotAFanboy

@intotheminx said:

So...you guys are ok with this? I can't imagine devs are happy about it. Might as well bury the original PS4. I feel sorry for people that bought one in the last few months. Sony knows how to shoot itself in the foot.

Porting will be easy.

Code for the PS4 and then just use the extra power on the 4.5 to lock frame rates and keep the resolution at 1080p. Nothing difficult or time-consuming.

Also, SONY isn't "shooting" themselves in the foot. They are stopping greedy MS from calling it quits and releasing a new console next year. The PS4.5's 4 TF GPU throws a wrench into their plans, because whatever MS was planning for 2017 won't be as strong as the PS4.5.

SONY is trapping MS.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@quadknight said:
@ellos said:
@quadknight said:

Doesn't sound too bad. I'll trade in my regular PS4 if this is true and upgrade. Though to be honest I'd rather have them just wait and release a PS5 when the time is right. This looks like it might bite them in the ass if they don't handle it well. I can't imagine people who bought a PS4 a few months ago being happy with this.

That's why I feel like they are reacting to something. PSVR or MS Nintendo. That Phill upgrade talks was not nothing. Sony maybe reacting they just not good at keeping secrets. Its going to be a fun e3.

@gamecubepad said:

@quadknight:

The general consensus seemed to be that Sony would sh1t the bed with PSVR because of the lack of horsepower in relation to Oculus and Vive min. requirements. This is the answer to all the pundits. *Rumors *

This E3 will definitely be fun. I get the feeling they are doing this as a reaction to either Nintendo, MS or VR.

Mainly VR, but a side perk of the upgraded hardware is it will now be on an even playing field with the NX/XB1.5.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#130 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@intotheminx said:

it clearly says that devs won't be allowed to leave the ps4 behind though. To me that is the most important thing. Games are what matters. The graphics do not.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 emgesp

@FireEmblem_Man said:

I bet you won't be saying that if you see more 1080p 60fps games on the PS4K.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 ronvalencia

@intotheminx said:
@gamecubepad said:

I'm glad I haven't bought a PS4 at this point. Basically a last gen system after PS4k launches.

GTX 950? That's R9-270X/7870 GE level

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I don't see them going with that CPU.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 emgesp

@xhawk27 said:
@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

It is not going to be 4Tflop GPU.

Just doubling the CU count would put it at 3.68 Tflops. The clockrate boost puts it over 4 Tflops.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@MonsieurX: Yup....I just wish I wouldn't have already bought a PS4, hopefully there will be decent trade in deals.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 intotheminx

@notafanboy said:
@intotheminx said:

Porting will be easy.

Code for the PS4 and then just use the extra power on the 4.5 to lock frame rates and keep the resolution at 1080p. Nothing difficult or time-consuming.

Also, SONY isn't "shooting" themselves in the foot. They are stopping greedy MS from calling it quits and releasing a new console next year. The PS4.5's 4 TF GPU throws a wrench into their plans, because whatever MS was planning for 2017 won't be as strong as the PS4.5.

SONY is trapping MS.

You talk as thought Sony is pro consumer, but if they were..why did they follow MS's footsteps with online fees and such? Do you believe they will abandon this model if MS bows out? If they were so "pro gamer" they wouldn't have adopted any of MS's business model. If I'm not mistake, Ubi said a PS4k would be a pain in the ass, so you might as well book it. No dev want's to do extra work.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#137  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69586 Posts

All of this is because Sony actually believes that their piece of shit VR is going to make strides. This is the rather Titanic of Sony.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 intotheminx

@ronvalencia said:
@intotheminx said:
@gamecubepad said:

GTX 950? That's R9-270X/7870 GE level

Doesn't a 950 outperform a 270x?

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By svaubel

@notafanboy said:
@intotheminx said:

Porting will be easy.

SONY is trapping MS.

Then explain how Sony fragmenting their own userbase is going to be a good thing. How will it be a good thing when devs have to worry about not one, but two hardware configs? Know what will happen? A- the devs will have to cater to the weakest hardware so it will run on the PS4 and not take advantage of the upgraded hardware making the PS4K pointless or... B- Make the game run exclusively on the upgraded system and give the finger to the 40 million people that already bought the system.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ronvalencia

@chikenfriedrice said:

I have the same view point i.e. PS4K as Bluray 4K player.

If Sony can capture 4K bluray player upgrade cycle, Sony would win this round.

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By NotAFanboy

@Pedro said:

All of this is because Sony actually believes that their piece of shit VR is going to make strides. This is the rather Titanic of Sony.

This isn't about VR.

This is about ruining Microsoft's current plan.

SONY knows MS is a sore loser company and will rush out a new Xbox next year. By releasing a 4 TF GPU console this year, they are throwing a gigantic wrench into MS's plans.

SONY is trapping MS. Now MS can't release a new console soon. They probably wasted billions in R&D already and now it's all gone down the toilet because Microsoft can't release a new xbox at only 3-4 TF performance when there's already a 4 TF GPU PS4.5 released 1 year earlier.

SONY is VERY smart. Cerny is a genius.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#142  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

And I was starting to not be happy about upgrading my pc for around a hundred bucks a year. Damn!

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I remember someone once commented on how this is "The Re-Master Generation." That term is more true now than when it was initially stated.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ronvalencia

@quadknight said:
@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:
@ronvalencia said:
@quadknight said:

That's high details not max details. There's little need for MSAA at 4K.

Hmmmm....interesting. We shall see then.

What kind of CPU were you running?

Intel Core i5-2500K at ~3.9 Ghz

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 NotAFanboy

@svaubel said:
@notafanboy said:
@intotheminx said:

Porting will be easy.

SONY is trapping MS.

Then explain how Sony fragmenting their own userbase is going to be a good thing. How will it be a good thing when devs have to worry about not one, but two hardware configs? Know what will happen? A- the devs will have to cater to the weakest hardware so it will run on the PS4 and not take advantage of the upgraded hardware making the PS4K pointless or... B- Make the game run exclusively on the upgraded system and give the finger to the 40 million people that already bought the system.

Read the article.

Devs can't release anything exclusively on 1 version.

Devs will make a base PS4 version and as the 4.5 uses the same architecture as the 4, they will just fix up any issues the 4 has.

Fluctuating frame rates and <1080p res? The 4.5 will have solid frame rates and locked 1080p res.

It's nothing difficult. It's just flipping the switch.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@commander said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@notafanboy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

A 4 FREAKING TF GPU!!!

I don't think so , the devs are getting used to gpgpu tools more and more this gen.

A 500 mhz increase across 8 cores is also a pretty big increase. That would match the cpu almost with an I5 sandy bridge. That will only be barely enough for 4k but i suspect the games will be upscaled.

Just like the memory , I don't think 8 gb will be enough for 4k, but I should be able to handle a near 4k upscaled resolution.

You have no idea what you're talking about, not even an 8350 overclocked competes with a Sandy Bridge i5, that CPU has literally half the per-core performance not to mention it's a 125 watt desktop CPU...

Jaguar is a tablet CPU which per-core performance is likely less than half of even the 8350...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 FireEmblem_Man

@emgesp said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I bet you won't be saying that if you see more 1080p 60fps games on the PS4K.

Don't care, I don't buy a console to brag about hardware, I buy consoles to have fun with games that I like. I already have a PC that I can use to play in 1080p 60FPS.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@notafanboy said:
@svaubel said:
@notafanboy said:
@intotheminx said:

Porting will be easy.

SONY is trapping MS.

Read the article.

Devs will make a base PS4 version and as the 4.5 uses the same architecture as the 4, they will just fix up any issues the 4 has.

Fluctuating frame rates and <1080p res? The 4.5 will have solid frame rates and locked 1080p res.

Talking about reading an article,that's rich coming from you when you couldn't even do that in your thread

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#149  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17816 Posts

I was going to stock up on soothing eyedrops to cope with my 30fps Uncharted 4 playthrough, but if this new system guarantees UC4 60fps, I can wait.

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 NotAFanboy

@MonsieurX said:
@notafanboy said:
@svaubel said:
@notafanboy said:
@intotheminx said:

Porting will be easy.

SONY is trapping MS.

Read the article.

Talking about reading an article,that's rich coming from you when you couldn't even do that in your thread

Hear that? It's the sound of asshurt.

Go enjoy your garbage NX that will be weaker than the base PS4. LOL