Gears of War franchise on PlayStation 4 (Updated OP)

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts

Exhibit A:

Epic Games owns the Gears IP and "can do what we want with it"

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/15/rein-epic-owns-gears-ip-can-do-what-we-want-with-it/

:Epic can, and do choose whatever publisher it wishes for the games it creates.

We own Gears of War. We can do what we want with it, Rein told us.

So what if Epic decides they want to go multiplatform, get more sales, and sign a deal with EA or Activision (like Bungie did). The difference with Bungie and Epic is that Bungie does not own the Halo IP, Microsoft does. Epic, however, owns Gears of War IP and can do whatever they want with it. Yes, that means they can put it on PS4 if they want to. 

Exhibit B:

Epic Games would love Gears on Playstation. 

http://www.1up.com/news/gears-of-war-ps3-epic-love

:Speaking about the possibility of ever doing a Gears game for the PlayStation 3, Epic president Mike Capps explained it's something he'd "love" to do.

"Do we wish we could take all those Killzone [players] and Resistance fans on PS3, and get them to say 'Gears is awesome'? Yeah, sure I'd love to ship the Gears trilogy on PlayStation. That would be fun. I want to be there; I want to be everywhere"

Exhibit C:

Look no further than Call of Duty, Uncharted, Battlefield. Shooters sell very well on PS3 now too. COD sells over 10 million copies on PS3 every year despite 360 having timed-exclusive DLC. Some games like FFXIII, Batman:Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5, FIFA, and others actually sell better on PS3 than they do on 360. 

Now Gears of War games usually sell roughly 6-7 million copies on 360. They would probably sell an extra 6-7 million on PlayStation systems. 

How could Epic possibly turn down an extra 6-7 million sales? People will say it's because Microsoft is money hatting them. But how much could MS really be putting forward for this one IP that they don't even own? Developers apparently make $10 from every game sold at $60. They also lose out on all the DLC Map Packs that could be sold to PlayStation gamers.

Do the math. Epic is missing out on 60-70+ Million dollars every time they release a Gears game without putting it on PlayStation. Microsoft might pay for some development and marketing, but there is no way Microsoft is paying Epic $60+million every time a Gears game is released. 

From a financial standpoint, Epic would be downright silly if they don't put Gears of War on PlayStation 4. 

Exhibit D:

Epic and Microsoft had made a deal for the first 2 Gears games to be exclusive on 360. But that was a very, very long time ago. PS3 wasnt even in stores at the time. Epic was not nearly as big as they are now. Gears was a new, unknown IP. Now Epic is one of the leading industry developers, and Gears is a well known IP. They don't need MS to market it for them anymore since Gears is a proven commodity, and they dont need MS to help with development costs since theyve grown so much.

It's also important to note that Epic and many other PC devs like Valve were very disappointed with the PS3's technical architecture. PS3 was harder to develop for. It was harder to port games to. 

We all know this will NOT be the case with PS4 when it is released. Infact, PS4 will probably be the BETTER system to port to, and it will most likely be more powerful than the next Xbox. Devs were happy when Sony announced PS4 would have GDDR5 8GB RAM. PS4's specs were made "by developers, FOR developers". We even saw Epic's Unreal Engine 4 at the Sony meeting this past week, and Sony's 1st party game "Knack" is being made with UE4. Needless to say, Sony has reached out to developers and has done a great job getting their input on the new console. Oh... did I mention Xbox fanboy Cliff Bleszinski is no longer at Epic?  

Simpy put.... Times have changed! It isn't 2006 anymore. 

Conclusion:

Epic owns the Gears IP. Epic wants Gears on PlayStation. Fans want Gears on PlayStation. Sony wants Gears on PlayStation. EA/Activision would love to publish Gears on Playstation. There are absolutely no technical limitations that would prevent Epic from putting Gears on PS4.

There will be NOTHING holding them back this time.

I think there's a 50/50 chance Gears of War franchise will be on PS4 next-gen. Epic's co-founder Mark Rein seems happy with the Official PS4 specs. Now let's hope Epic puts those specs to good use. 

tumblr_mipkyoNqVP1s63ovdo1_1280.png

For all PlayStation fans that would like Gears of War on PlayStation 4, you can contact Epic through their Twitter accounts and tell them you want Gears on PS4

https://twitter.com/MarkRein 

https://twitter.com/epicactual

https://twitter.com/EpicGames

UPDATE:

Tim Sweeney, Epic Games Founder and CEO

The PlayStation 4 is a leading-edge hardware platform, and its enormous CPU, GPU and memory resources enables Unreal Engine 4 to reach levels of visual quality and detail that go far beyond the current generation, for games of all sizes and genres.

Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform.

The features and effects in our new "Elemental" demo on PlayStation 4 are just the tip of the iceberg, showing dynamic lighting and shadowing, subsurface scattering and GPU-powered particle effects at full 1080p resolution.

As the developers of the Unreal Engine, we're passionate about not only building great games, but building them efficiently. PlayStation 4 builds upon PC technology and takes it to the next level, providing a very robust and easy-to-use development environment.

As we're building games that are an order of magnitude more detailed than the current generation, Unreal Engine 4's tools combined with PlayStation 4's hardware enable developers to achieve that in a reasonable amount of time and on-budget. Our console efforts are focused on high-end, mainstream platforms that will be supported by enormous launches and large-scale support by major developers and publishers.

With PlayStation 4, Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform with massive appeal to core gamers, and incredible potential for bringing triple-A experiences to the next level.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Exhibit E: It won't happen
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Exhibit E: It won't happenBlabadon

They seemed to be more excited about the PS4 than anyone else.

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Exhibit E: Microsoft Moneyz /thread
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sandbox3d

Exhibit E: Microsoft Moneyz /threadTheDidact

Maybe, but MS doesnt seem to be too concerned about keeping, or fostering good devs.

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

PlayStation doesn't need Gears of War. If the "flop" console managed 2nd place and near 80m, I doubt the Quad will need this monotone franchise. 

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Exhibit E: Microsoft Moneyz /thread

The only reason I didn't put Microsoft publishing it as a reason was Mass Effect 1. Still, you're completely correct.
drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 drakekratos

Gears of War is the only franchise on 360 that I enjoyed. I'd like to see Gears on PS4 and would be in line Day 1 to buy it. Next-gen I'm definitely not getting the next-XBOX (I refuse to pay for XBL) and don't want to miss out on this franchise

Sorry to break it to any fanboys.... but it seems like theres a really good chance Gears of War franchise will be on PS4. It just wouldnt make sense for Epic to keep Gears exclusive. 

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

doubt it. but i can't wait for tc to call gears a "classic playstation franchise" if we do see it on the ps4. :lol:

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Cows hate Rehash of War, now they want it on Playstation :lol:

Cows gonna cow.  MOOOOOOO

cow.jpg

doubt it. but i can't wait for tc to call gears a "classic playstation franchise" if we do see it on the ps4. :lol:

KarateeeChop

Brb, cole train/baird in Playstation No Stars :lol:

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drakekratos
Imagine Epic comes out at E3 and announces a new Gears of War..... at Sonys Press conference. it would be the biggest megaton in E3 history. Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Imagine Epic comes out at E3 and announces a new Gears of War..... at Sonys Press conference. it would be the biggest megaton in E3 history. Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360drakekratos
Keep dreaming son.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Imagine Epic comes out at E3 and announces a new Gears of War..... at Sonys Press conference. it would be the biggest megaton in E3 history. Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360drakekratos

Bigger than FFXIII? I highly highly doubt that. 

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?funsohng

^this

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drakekratos

[QUOTE="funsohng"]So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?Primordialous

^this

1. I'm not a fanboy... Ive owned NES,SNES,N64,Gameboy, GameCube,Wii, PS1,PS2,PS3,Xbox360.... 2. One person doesn't represent an entire group of fanboys.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

i don't really care if it does or not. i think even lems are tired of it. having bungie at a sony conference was the big blow for m$ and lems.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sandbox3d

Nah, FFXIII was huge.

Still though, its very likely that Gears could end up on PS4.  We saw what happened to all of Sonys 3rd party exclusives last gen.  

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongDeadlift

Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360drakekratos

No. Nothing will ever be as big as the megaton from that.  :|

Cows sent death threats to Nomura/Square Enix, etc over that.  And they also made petitions.  

That also happened at a time where nobody saw that coming.  I highly doubt anybody in this era of multiplatform franchises would care.  That, and 360 fans generally arent the same weird ass cult following weirdos that develop unnattural attachments to their brands, like cows do. 

Cows do the weirdest shyt on here :lol:

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?drakekratos

^this

1. I'm not a fanboy... Ive owned NES,SNES,N64,Gameboy, GameCube,Wii, PS1,PS2,PS3,Xbox360....

2. One person doesn't represent an entire group of fanboys.

You contradict yourself.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

No

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KarateeeChop

[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

StrongDeadlift

Brb, cole train/baird in Playstation No Stars :lol:

lol i was talking about this. 

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Exhibit E: Microsoft Moneyz /thread

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

Do not want.

i don't really care if it does or not. i think even lems are tired of it. having bungie at a sony conference was the big blow for m$ and lems.

NathanDrakeSwag

If you listen closely, you can still hear the lemmings crying about the exclusive content.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

THEY MAY be interisted in it now  but when it hits stores and struggles in retail  if it does , dont expect epic to be interisted in it then , esepcally if wiiu picks up steam and does wihat 3ds did  then theyll definatelly miss money ,  also without 720 officail epic may want to hold their wad until 720 comes up what if its specs are better? 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

THEY MAY

mariokart64fan
Alright, so now we know they won't Thanks Pachter
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Fable, gears, and Halo are the only reason why I even have a 360.  I honestly don't intendo on getting the nextboxuntill it is being sold for $300 or less.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drakekratos

[QUOTE="drakekratos"]Imagine Epic comes out at E3 and announces a new Gears of War..... at Sonys Press conference. it would be the biggest megaton in E3 history. Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360sandbox3d

Nah, FFXIII was huge.

Still though, its very likely that Gears could end up on PS4.  We saw what happened to all of Sonys 3rd party exclusives last gen.  

FFXIII wasn't as big as Gears would be. FF big fan base is in Japan, and FFXIII was still PS3 exclusive in Japan.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#32 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol i hit the submit button by accident read message again lol

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="drakekratos"]Imagine Epic comes out at E3 and announces a new Gears of War..... at Sonys Press conference. it would be the biggest megaton in E3 history. Even bigger and more significant than FFXIII on 360drakekratos

Nah, FFXIII was huge.

FFXIII wasn't as big as Gears would be. FF big fan base is in Japan, and FFXIII was still PS3 exclusive in Japan.

FFXIII was a pretty big deal man.  At the time it happened nobody was aware of how badly it would suck.  It was still one of the most anticipated games of the gen among many.  It was the sole reason that many people even bought a PS3.

It wasnt just a megaton here in SW, it was everywhere. 

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Epic will either go multiplatform with Gears or sell it and go multiplatform with a new IP.

Don't care either way.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrongDeadlift

lol i was talking about this. 

KarateeeChop

Funny you mention that thread. Reguarding my post above, Cows are weird as f*ck. Did you see Rumbalumba's posts in that thread?  Where he starts listing off the history of that guy who made Knack (and designed the PS4), and defending him as if he was his own family member?  

[spoiler]

Mark Cerny

went to high school at age 12

went to UC Berkeley at age 15

worked for Atari at age 17

made Marble Madness

worked on Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2.

worked on Disruptor

worked on the Crash Bandicoots

worked on the Spyro the Dragons

worked on the Jak and Daxters

worked on the Ratchet and Clanks

worked on Uncharted

worked on God Of War 3

worked on Killzone 3

Mark Cerny = such a boss.

rumbalumba

pwahahahhaha. :lol: oh, so now you try to minimize (and even completely discount) present-day Molyneux's and Rare's involvement with whatever games they're putting yet you speak as if Cerny was the driving force behind Resistance 2? GET OUT. :lol: double standards, much?

This clown = smarter than you will ever be, even if you get reincarnated 100 times. what does that make you? this clown's biatch's biatch? :lol:

rumbalumba

[/spoiler]

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29357306/--knack---ps4s-new-mascot?page=4

Read the entire conversation in context.  This is what im talking about.  Why on earth does he know all of this about this guy?  :? :lol:  

Im fairly certain he had no idea who he was prior to wednesday, and would not give two chits about him or that game if he wasnt associated with Sony (or instead Microsoft), but now he's taken such an interest in him and defending him like hes a family member?  Cows develop such weird unnatural bonds to things associated with Playstation that no other faction does.  Thats also why im saying nobody would give a sh*t if Gears went multiplat.  

Only cows do weird f*ck sh!t like this :lol:

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KarateeeChop

damn, looks like this mark cerny guy was making quality stuff until last gen. :(

and i lol'ed at the "unnatural bound to playstation" part, so true. :lol:

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]So cows now like Gears of War. Do you little angels ever wonder why people call you hypocrites?drakekratos

^this

1. I'm not a fanboy... Ive owned NES,SNES,N64,Gameboy, GameCube,Wii, PS1,PS2,PS3,Xbox360.... 2. One person doesn't represent an entire group of fanboys.

Yet you seem to be speaking for the "fans" when you said "the fans on Gears on PlayStation"
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I think Gears is at that point where there's really no reason to continue it any longer.

But regardless many of Epic's comments regarding Gears, and their ability to do whatever they want with it, have existed FOREVER!!!!

They're excited for the PS4 for a few reasons.

It's more like a PC, and it's powerful enough to showcase Unreal Engine 4. That's about it.

I doubt they have much interest in continuing the Gears franchise for much longer.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
So this is the day when cows stop calling Gears : Overrated,milked series,Crappy TPS,sh!tty graphics?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Still never going to happen. Microsoft may not "own" the Gears of War license they dictate the future of the IP.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tessellation

Funny you mention that thread. Reguarding my post above, Cows are weird as f*ck. Did you see Rumbalumba's posts in that thread?  Where he starts listing off the history of that guy who made Knack (and designed the PS4), and defending him as if he was his own family member?  

[spoiler]

[QUOTE="rumbalumba"]

Mark Cerny

went to high school at age 12

went to UC Berkeley at age 15

worked for Atari at age 17

made Marble Madness

worked on Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2.

worked on Disruptor

worked on the Crash Bandicoots

worked on the Spyro the Dragons

worked on the Jak and Daxters

worked on the Ratchet and Clanks

worked on Uncharted

worked on God Of War 3

worked on Killzone 3

Mark Cerny = such a boss.

StrongDeadlift

pwahahahhaha. :lol: oh, so now you try to minimize (and even completely discount) present-day Molyneux's and Rare's involvement with whatever games they're putting yet you speak as if Cerny was the driving force behind Resistance 2? GET OUT. :lol: double standards, much?

This clown = smarter than you will ever be, even if you get reincarnated 100 times. what does that make you? this clown's biatch's biatch? :lol:

rumbalumba

[/spoiler]

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29357306/--knack---ps4s-new-mascot?page=4

Read the entire conversation in context.  This is what im talking about.  Why on earth does he know all of this about this guy?  :? :lol:  

Im fairly certain he had no idea who he was prior to wednesday, and would not give two chits about him or that game if he wasnt associated with Sony (or instead Microsoft), but now he's taken such an interest in him and defending him like hes a family member?  Cows develop such weird unnatural bonds to things associated with Playstation that no other faction does.  Thats also why im saying nobody would give a sh*t if Gears went multiplat.  

Only cows do weird f*ck sh!t like this :lol:

that's basement dwelling to a whole new level :cool:

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NathanDrakeSwag
So this is the day when cows stop calling Gears : Overrated,milked series,Crappy TPS,sh!tty graphics?Tessellation
gears sucks. by far the weakest franchise of the 3 m$ have.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"]So this is the day when cows stop calling Gears : Overrated,milked series,Crappy TPS,sh!tty graphics?NathanDrakeSwag

why should i take your opinion seriously if your name ends with Swag? :cool:

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Be almost the same as if Insomniac went multiplat. Wait, they did didn't they?
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NathanDrakeSwag

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]So this is the day when cows stop calling Gears : Overrated,milked series,Crappy TPS,sh!tty graphics?Tessellation

why would i take your opinion seriously if your name ends with Swag? :cool:

are you mad because it doesn't say coletrain swag? :lol:

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
I'd rather get some Rare IPs that MS has longgggg forgotten. =/
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StrongDeadlift

I think Gears is at that point where there's really no reason to continue it any longer.

But regardless many of Epic's comments regarding Gears, and their ability to do whatever they want with it, have existed FOREVER!!!!

They're excited for the PS4 for a few reasons.

It's more like a PC, and it's powerful enough to showcase Unreal Engine 4. That's about it.

I doubt they have much interest in continuing the Gears franchise for much longer.

Ly_the_Fairy

Still never going to happen. Microsoft may not "own" the Gears of War license they dictate the future of the IP.

Wasdie
This. And Epic isnt even making them anymore. Gears of War was the flagship franchise for Unreal Engine 3. They will have a new flagship franchise for Unreal Engine 4. Unless cows want people can fly to make them.
Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#50 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

That would give me even less reason to buy a 720.