Gears 2 - Did MS pay reviewers or something?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

I mean, seriously, even Gears Fanboys have accepted that Gears 2 has horrible multiplayer that, by some accounts, is borderline broken.

Any other game would get taken to bits in a review and would get a highly reduced score... but oh no, not gears 2. Gears 2 is allowed to be broken simply because it is gears 2. reviewers turned a blind eye to this games failings and, as a result, did us gamers a great dis-service

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
The multiplayer is not broken. The matchmaking system sucks, but it works. The multiplayer itself has been great for me personally.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

I mean, seriously, even Gears Fanboys have accepted that Gears 2 has horrible multiplayer that, by some accounts, is borderline broken.

Any other game would get taken to bits in a review and would get a highly reduced score... but oh no, not gears 2. Gears 2 is allowed to be broken simply because it is gears 2. reviewers turned a blind eye to this games failings and, as a result, did us gamers a great dis-service

thetruespin

You do yourself a disgrace if you give a review that much influence over what you buy.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

perhaps not broken, but it has serious issues that reviewers IGNORED.

no other game would get awaywith this type of problem, except gears

Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts
I play in full groups so don't notice the matchmaking issues. Still, they really do need to fix it...people with no friends like yourself are getting screwed :(
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jade_Monkey

thetruespin

I think other games of the same hype quality would also have it's flaws ignored. A Halo game, a Metal Gear Solid game, a Mario/Zelda game,  there areother titles thatmany reviewers are afraid to bash.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I doubt MS paid reviewers, what would be the point? People would buy it anyway.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jade_Monkey

I doubt MS paid reviewers, what would be the point? People would buy it anyway.Floppy_Jim

Peace of mind and because they can.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
have you even played it, or are you just repeating what cows and angry shotgunners said?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpruceCaboose

thetruespin
The first Gears had the same issues at launch. I don't see what the issue is. Many games have poor matchmaking their first month or so out. Stuff needs to be ironed out, but the game is still functional, and IMO its a superb game on every level.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Yes. MS paid 10 dollars more than Insominiac did for the Resistance 2 review. That's why it scored higher.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]I doubt MS paid reviewers, what would be the point? People would buy it anyway.Jade_Monkey

No, there is no way MS bribed reviewers, and people claiming that they could or would are being very irrational.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]I doubt MS paid reviewers, what would be the point? People would buy it anyway.SpruceCaboose

No, there is no way MS bribed reviewers, and people claiming that they could or would are being very irrational.

It's one of the constants of system wars

1. All PS3 games are crap

2. MS pays of everybody and hasn't earned anything

3. The Sheep don't count

Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts

Gears 2 MP is perfectly fine other than the match making issues which i'm sure will be fixed soon. But even still just get a couple of friends in your game and you'll be able to find games no problem.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose

3. The Sheep don't count

heretrix
I know. It just amazes me that it seems like people really believe those three things though, in spite of major logical hurdles to each of them.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Yes. MS paid 10 dollars more than Insominiac did for the Resistance 2 review. That's why it scored higher.

But it didn't !!!!
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="black_tempest"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

But it didn't !!!!

We are talking about all reviews, not just GameSpot.
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

SpruceCaboose

The first Gears had the same issues at launch. I don't see what the issue is. Many games have poor matchmaking their first month or so out. Stuff needs to be ironed out, but the game is still functional, and IMO its a superb game on every level.

well, Socom: Confrontation didnt get that luxury.. it was tore apart buy GS and other reviewers for having network issue during the launch.. check the reviews and find some serious issues with the actual gameplay.. you'll find next to nothing.. based upon the actual gameplay it's easily a AA title, yet the game received a 6.5 for network issues that you would agree are temporary in nature.. so why did Gears 2 get a "pass"?.. it still received a AAA score with such an obvious flaw?.. GS even mention Gears 2's multiplayer features in the "Good" section of their review.. which means that not only did Gamespot ignore those network issues, they gave praise to them and factored them into Gears of War 2's 9.0 score..

that doesnt sound like bias to you?..

Network issues during the launch window of Socom: Confrontation = TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!.. "6.5".

Network issues during the launch window of Gears of War 2 (and apparently on-going) = totally ignored and multplayer is still used as a selling point.. "9.0".

something is wrong with this double-standard.. i wont say that someone got paid-off, but there is obviously a problem with this logic..

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
The multiplayer is not broken. The matchmaking system sucks, but it works. The multiplayer itself has been great for me personally.SpruceCaboose
and me
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Antwan3K

well, Socom: Confrontation didnt get that luxury.. it was tore apart buy GS and other reviewers for having network issue during the launch.. check the reviews and find some serious issues with the actual gameplay.. you'll find next to nothing.. based upon the actual gameplay it's easily a AA title, yet the game received a 6.5 for network issues that you would agree are temporary in nature.. so why did Gears 2 get a "pass"?.. it still received a AAA score with such an obvious flaw?.. GS even mention Gears 2's multiplayer features in the "Good" section of their review.. which means that not only did Gamespot ignore those network issues, they gave praise to them and factored them into Gears of War 2's 9.0 score..

Network issues during the launch window of Socom: Confrontation = TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!.. "6.5".

Network issues during the launch window of Gears of War 2 (and apparently on-going) = totally ignored and multplayer is still used as a selling point.. "9.0".

something is wrong with this double-standard.. i wont say that someone got paid-off, but there is obviously a problem with this logic..

You won't get me to defend GameSpot's reviews. I don't like them either. That, and I have never played a SOCOM game, so I can't really talk about them either positively or negatively.
DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

thetruespin
i can tell your a person who blames lag over how bad they suck. I'm sorry if you actually play the game how it's suppose to be played you would know the game is perfect, wow the game lags they can easily fix that with a patch...Critics are aware but they know it's not something that NEEDS to be addressed also they played the game before it came out so the servers weren't overflooded with people. I was just on gears and i didn't lag and had a hell of a experience. Also if you pick reviews over a game that is fun just has problems you don't even deserve to play games. People like you ruined the gaming community for people who just wanna have fun with friends and play a dam game.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Say what youi will against gears 2 it's still light years ahead of R2 and that's what reviewers base games around, is it better than whats currently about? The answer is yes.

Go cry.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
It got it's scores based on hype. What did you expect?
GinoNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 GinoNYC
Member since 2008 • 470 Posts
I'm a hardcore 360 fan here and I hate Gears. Most overrated series of this entire generation.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

Yes because Microsoft is such an upstanding company who can do no wrong and would never do something slightly unethical to help their company. I in no way said they did, I said they could. You are a blind Microsoft fanboy who ought to wake up and see how the world works.

If you would have said the same about Ninty or Sony I would say the same thing. Its illogical to think that 1) Any company would bribe something like 100 reviewers since the vast majority of game buyers do not read revews and 2) That a company as terribly bad at keeping secrets as MS could continually bribe 100s of magazines, websites, etc and not have anyone anywhere leak it.
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts
You won't get me to defend GameSpot's reviews. I don't like them either. That, and I have never played a SOCOM game, so I can't really talk about them either positively or negatively. SpruceCaboose

i can respect that.. my comments were more-so geared towards those 360 fanboys who blindly bashed Socom: C without realizing that there was nothing wrong with the game itself.. it just got bad reviews based on the natural and temporary network issues that occur with wildly popular online games during the launch window.. yet when people make Gears of War 2 threads talking about how much the multiplayer is dragged down by network issues, they all say "hey it natural during launch. give it time. the actual gameplay is solid though".. :roll:.. it's incredibly funny and sad at the same time...

they somehow dont see why (according to their own logic with Socom: C), that Gears 2 possibly should have been scored AA due to those same network issues..

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
If anyting, Sony paid the Reviewers, GeOW 2 deserves a 10
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
nope the game is great some issues but they can be fix with updates most of the new additions work great.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

No, there is no way MS bribed reviewers, and people claiming that they could or would are being very irrational.heretrix

3. The Sheep don't count

That's about right.

And TC, what about Jeff Gerstmann? He gave the game 5/5 over at Giant Bomb and we know he didn't accept any payments...he was fired for pretty much refusing to do that sort of thing.

I haven't played it yet (I'm planning to pick it up with my next paycheck), but I've heard it's much better than the first...if that's true, then you can bet it deserves every increment of the scores awarded to it.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
and can take the network issues off the table now its just down to some mp issues they fixed it today
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
The reviewersdidn't even play the game over XBL. It was played in a lan setting hence there was no mention of the broken online.
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

thetruespin

MGS4s online was a joke........10/10

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#37 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
I hated gears1 online, but i love gears2 online. Horde mode is epic with friends.
Master_SONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Master_SONY
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts
They definetly paid reviewers! SOCOM didn't pay and they got bashed for laggy servers. GeoW deserves that same punishement for crappy online!
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

have you played it, or do you not even own a 360?
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
They definetly paid reviewers! SOCOM didn't pay and they got bashed for laggy servers. GeoW deserves that same punishement for crappy online!Master_SONY
SOCOM has no single player, doesn't look that great, and doesn't play that great. To have serious server issues on a multiplayer only game is a nono.
bullfrogj3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bullfrogj3
Member since 2003 • 896 Posts

Antwan3K

WOAH! Hold on a second here. Have you ever heard of Partner Net? No? That's what game journalists use to play pre-release online games on Xbox Live, it's not the standard 'ol Live. Try reading the WHOLE review instead of just looking at the meaningless number, you might find that they mention that fact in most of their reviews. Sony just throws the game out there, warts and all. If you want to blame someone, try blaming all the gaming sites and the competition for page views and wanting to be the first with a review. Thanks and have a nice day!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Antwan3K

and like has been said to cows before Gears of war 2s small problems are nothing compared to the CRIPPLING ISSUES that socom had and socom is a multiplayer only game. Gears of war 2=single player and multiplayer the single player worked perfectly, and the multiplayer has small issues I play multiplayer on it and have no problems. Scocom=Multiplayer only shipped with crippling issues that made it UNPLAYABLE for everyone. it wasn't just network issues cause too many people were on the service it was crippled because of bad code in the servers and game it self which required a patch.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Did MS pay reviewers or something? I mean, seriously, even MGS4 fanboys have accepted that MGS4 has terrible multiplayer, by some accounts, is borderline broken.

Any other game would get taken to bits in a review and would get a highly reduced score... but oh no, not gears 2. Gears 2 is allowed to be broken simply because it is gears 2. reviewers turned a blind eye to this games failings and, as a result, did us gamers a great dis-service.

lol

I know that most people don't think Gears of War 2 has as good of a single player as MGS4. But MGS4 did not have a good multiplayer, and I'm pretty sure most would agree Gears 2's multi is better. Just pointing out how ridiculous it is for a game to be docked solely because of it's multiplayer. 

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Lol, multiplayer is far from broken, and its very fun still. Also, horde (which is also multiplayer) is the best addition to a shooter this generation for online multiplayer. The true question is why do people always think that MS paid a reviewer just because a good game got a good review, when that person didn't like the game (and probably hasnt even palyed it themselves?)??
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts
See what happens when a game is overhyped? Reviewers and publishers feel obligated to score it well to satisfy their fanbase. Doesn't anyone remember Metal Gear Solid 2, or Metal Gear Solid 4? These games are nowhere near perfect, but they had such a foggy and potent hype cloud surrounding them that I expected them to score as such. Never mind that all these games have serious flaws, just that honesty just isn't the most profitable policy anymore.
Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Jade_Monkey

I think other games of the same hype quality would also have it's flaws ignored. A Halo game, a Metal Gear Solid game, a Mario/Zelda game, there areother titles thatmany reviewers are afraid to bash.

I said this before and I'll say it again, you can't trust reviews for anything from anyone. They do not get paid for them giving you their honest, true, deep opinion. They get paid by...

1. Being the first ones to review something with lots of hype so people go to them first.
2. Pleasing the majority so certain groups would prefer them anyway.

If a review team always got their reviews behind everyone else, and piss off large majorities by giving a installment of their favorite series a low score, even slightly below other reviewers (remember the Zelda 8.8 riot?) they would die out pretty quickly. Think about it.
Cuby_Finest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cuby_Finest
Member since 2005 • 1129 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Its only the lag that ruins the game but lately its been lag free for me considering i had issues with game at begening also i think new update helps cause i played today and it seems fine
readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts

Antwan3K

It's not bias. Socom was an Online only game whereas GeOW had a solid single player and a functioning multiplayer. The "broken" label which is being thrown its way is ridiculous. There are a few glitches and Matchmaking often takes quite a while but it's far from non functioning. Also, as i said before, if Socom had a really solid Single player experience with storyline and the ability to play co-op seamlessly it would be a different story.
facebooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 facebooker
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts

thetruespin

stop making things up. gears 2 is a great game, stop whining 

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I love the new shotgun, I just can't stand 2-piecing with it! Also, the chainsaw needs to drop down when it's shot at. Apart from those main two issues, and the whole matchmaking problem, Gears 2 online is great