• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

So I just bought me a Samsung KS8500 4K TV, preparing for the Pro when that's released and I have to say that it's a gorgeous TV to look at. Interested in what TV's "gamers" in here have and what they are gaming on or even plan to get in the near future.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

So I just bought me a Samsung KS8500 4K TV, preparing for the Pro when that's released and I have to say that it's a gorgeous TV to look at. Interested in what TV's "gamers" in here have and what they are gaming on or even plan to get in the near future.

+1

Best 4k TVs Samsung or LG (preferbly samsung)

Best 4k budget brand Vizio

B-Tier 4K brands Sony Sharp, or Panasonic (sharp is the worst of these 3)

Any other brand, avoid at all costs

Just one FYI, the Pro isn't going to be playing games at 4k and doesn't have a 4k BD drive, so the only "native" 4k you'll get from it is streaming like netflix, which will require about 50 down broadband internet and still not look as good as a blu ray due to compression. Some say netflix 4k looks pretty much like a 1080p blu ray movie. I haven't personally used it though. I'm holding out for the scorpio

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Got a 2015 Samsung 55" JS8500

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Man, I double checked to see if my tv is HDR ready, although it's still an awesome tv, it's not. I feel out of the loop. I brought up getting a new tv with my wife and got shut down fast haha

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I got the LG UH8500 with the Xbox One S last week. A 65" 4K HDR set. Both are in my living room. In my game room I'm currently using a 70" 1080p Sharp. Once the OLED tvs come down in price, I will get one of those for the living room.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I have a 60" Samsung 4k TV (Model #JS7000), and I have both my Xbox One S and my gaming PC hooked up to it.

What sucks is my TV supports HDR8, so I haven't been able to use my Xbox One's full potential.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I have 42 inch Samsung, (I forget the model) I'll upgrade to 4K when the time comes.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Samsung JU7500 it's an amazing TV but I probably haven't seen the best of it yet. Netflix 4K streams look no better than bluray to me though blurays look fantastic on this TV. Streaming just isn't there yet.

PS4 looks great, PC not hooked up yet wife is still griefing me over moving everything around all the time, no idea what she's talking about... er...

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Its funny how everyones TV is getting bigger and I'm trying to get smaller. Looking to upgrade, but now I have a 50" Sharp, 46" LG that I use for gaming and a 40" Insignia. Gonna replace my wifes old insignia with the LG and upgrade she just don't know it yet hehehehe

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

Samsung KU6290 Series 65" 4K UHD Smart TV With HDR

Got it 5 days ago

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@darkangel115: Again, no.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Recently bought a 55" LG EF9500 OLED. Insane picture quality.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

+1

Just one FYI, the Pro isn't going to be playing games at 4k and doesn't have a 4k BD drive, so the only "native" 4k you'll get from it is streaming like netflix, which will require about 50 down broadband internet and still not look as good as a blu ray due to compression. Some say netflix 4k looks pretty much like a 1080p blu ray movie. I haven't personally used it though. I'm holding out for the scorpio

ummm you do know that LG makes the OLEDs right?

and the second best TV beside that might be the new Sony Z9D series as far as LEDs TVs go.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 demon-returns

@joebones5000 said:

Got an LG. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60UH7700-4k-uhd-tv

Already upscales my 1080p content to 4k, so no need for another console. I use it with my xbox one s and my pc. If you think the scaler in the $400 ps4pro can do a better job than my $1,300 tv, then...........LOL

Yes what your TV does is a little different than what the PS4P would do..... because according to you a person can just play a PS2 game on a 4K TV and then think the game is being played at 4K resolution.

Well yes in a way you are right as all TVs display things at the TVs own native resolution but having the game itself being output at close to 4K which I assumed would be the case for PS4P and then upscaled would look vastly better!

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

This is the one to get: OLED65B6P

LG - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

LG 55" 1080p I forget the model. It's awesome. Had it for over 6 years..

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I am still using a Plasma. lol

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkangel115

@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

+1

and the second best TV beside that might be the new Sony Z9D series as far as LEDs TVs go.

what does that have to do with anything?

and no Sony doesn't have any top of the line TVs. 6 grand for the Z9D? lol the LG and Samsung are way better at that price range. Sony is in the vizio quality but with LG/samsung prices

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkangel115

@flyincloud1116 said:

@darkangel115: Again, no.

again , yes.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flyincloud1116

@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

+1

and no Sony doesn't have any top of the line TVs. 6 grand for the Z9D? lol the LG and Samsung are way better at that price range. Sony is in the vizio quality but with LG/samsung prices

You know nothing about TVs, stop giving this shit advice.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Now you'll going to argue about tv's lol. I just wanted to know what everyone is gaming on and you'll turn that into a debate lol. Priceless.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

After a lot of research the last couple weeks, I'm going to go with either the M or P series Vizio in a couple months. I'm leaning more towards the P series as it has a better scaler for lower resolution content. The P series also has the least input lag that I've found in 4K TVs going as low as 19.1 ms in game mode. The M series is second best at 19.8 ms in game mode.

Both are 120Hz and support both HDR10 and Dolby HDR.

The Samsung KS8000 series is also really good but does not support Dolby HDR (yet). The lag input was still great at 20.9 ms in game mode.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i have a crappy 4k tv that doesn't even support hdr

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Now you'll going to argue about tv's lol. I just wanted to know what everyone is gaming on and you'll turn that into a debate lol. Priceless.

I know, LOL! He should stop with that nonsense though.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I have a regular, ordinary and not even "smart" 40" Samsung and I´m happy with it, no plans for upgrading in the future.

I wish I could find one like my mom´s 32" LG in either LG or Samsung but apparently they are no longer being made like that ( my mom´s has 4 HDMI ports, AV, component, PC, audio optical out, audio regular out, 2 USB, coaxial antenna in, coaxial audio out ), the closest thing I´ve found with all those ports are Philips.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 demon-returns

@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

+1

This joker can't be serious... lol

I don't know even know if I should my waste time on this one.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 demon-returns

@Telekill: Be aware that while the 2016 P and M vizio series offer the best bang for the buck when it comes to LED TVs these with both being FALD and both do offer HDR 10 as well as Dobly Vision HDR only the P series can offer WCG where as the M series doesn't so it can't get as colorful and it only has half the FALD zone count of the P series as well.

These are all important things to be aware of so you can at least make an informed decision rather than buying and then realizing later that these are important features you'd want.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darkangel115

@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

+1

If you think sony makes the best TVs, you'd be the joker. Good quality? yes. better then LG or samsung? no

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@demon-returns: That really helps actually. All my research and I had yet to see any mention of WCG. When I do a specific search for it and what it is, I'll definitely want that.

Thanks for making up my mind. P series it is.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Quick question for you, when you turn the "game mode" on with the KS8500, does the picture quality degrade at all? Because on the last Samsung I owned, when I turned on game mode, the picture went noticeably blurry and just didn't look as crisp as with game mode off.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 demon-returns

@Telekill: Just to get you started - WCG is short for wide color gamut. TVs that have this capability are able to display up to a billion shades of colors when watching UHD 4K Blu Rays with 10 bit colors as opposed to regular Blu Ray which uses the limited REC 709 color space which is 16 million colors. So in essence with more colors in addition to HDR it makes for a more vibrant picture.

Glad I can help you make a better more informed decision my friend.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 demon-returns

@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:

+1

If you think sony makes the best TVs, you'd be the joker. Good quality? yes. better then LG or samsung? no

Are you a dummy or you just don't know how to read? Or both?

With Sony I specifically mentioned the Z9D

and if you are aware of the VE TV shootout that happened this year where flagship TVs from each of the manufacturers were put head to head the Sony x940D the former Sony flagship this year came in second behind the OLED and ahead of the Samsung flagship.

And guess what - the Z9 is even better than the x940D.

I have a samsung SUHD tv so if anything I'd be hyping up samsung but I'm not gonna be a fanboy and ignore facts like many little fanboys do just because something I own isn't considered the best.

The samsungs have the edge when you get the mid tier level as anyone would take the ks8 series and ks9000 over the competing 850D and 930D. But step to the 940D and above for Sony and it's a different story altogether.

BUT surprisingly the Vizio P series is arguably competitive to the other LEDs as it had a full array local dimming which if you want a Samsung or Sony you'd have to get their flagship for that feature (LG doesn't even use it in any of their LEDs which are also IPS to boot. And then on top of that LG and Vizio offer both flavors of HDR in their TVs HDR 10 and Dolby Vision.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darkangel115

@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:

and if you are aware of the VE TV shootout that happened this year where flagship TVs from each of the manufacturers were put head to head the Sony x940D the former Sony flagship this year came in second behind the OLED and ahead of the Samsung flagship.

I have a samsung SUHD tv so if anything I'd be hyping up samsung but I'm not gonna be a fanboy and ignore facts like many little fanboys do just because something I own isn't considered the best.

The samsungs have the edge when you get the mid tier level as anyone would take the ks8 series and ks9000 over the competing 850D and 930D. But step to the 940D and above for Sony and it's a different story altogether.

BUT surprisingly the Vizio P series is arguably competitive to the other LEDs as it had a full array local dimming which if you want a Samsung or Sony you'd have to get their flagship for that feature (LG doesn't even use it in any of their LEDs which are also IPS to boot. And then on top of that LG and Vizio offer both flavors of HDR in their TVs HDR 10 and Dolby Vision.

it's a 6k dollar TV that hasn't been reviewed yet. it'll be compared with the 6k dollar LG and the 4500 dollar samsung. at 1500 more then the samsung it will need to blow it away and I highly doubt it does. It'll likely be around the same or a little worse, in now justifying the 1500 more then the samsung. Sony does make good TVs, but all their good ones are overpriced compared to samsung counterparts that often perform the same or better

http://4k.com/news/more-details-on-sonys-new-and-stunning-ultra-premium-z9d-hdr-4k-tvs-15758/

[quote]Most interestingly, while the XBR-D models from early to mid-2016 have been disappointing in their HDR specs when compared to competing HDR TV models from Samsung, we might see the Z9D televisions fly right past their Samsung SUHD counterparts in terms of high quality peak brightness and black level delivery. So far, the Samsung 2016 SUHD Televisions and the flagship KS9800 in particular, have been the absolute best LCD 4K HDR TV’s we’ve yet managed to review. We’ll have to wait and see if the new Sony Z9D editions outperform even this high bar and what detailed measurement can show us across their specific display metrics.[/quote]

So lets wait until we see reviews as you can see sony TVs have been behind for years. Maybe, Maybe they can change that with the Z9D but it better blow about the Samsung for costing 25% more

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Preparing for upscaled 4K.

Must be fun.

If you have $2000 to spend on a TV, why not buy a monster PC and get native 4K?

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 demon-returns

@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:

it's a 6k dollar TV that hasn't been reviewed yet. it'll be compared with the 6k dollar LG and the 4500 dollar samsung. at 1500 more then the samsung it will need to blow it away and I highly doubt it does. It'll likely be around the same or a little worse, in now justifying the 1500 more then the samsung. Sony does make good TVs, but all their good ones are overpriced compared to samsung counterparts that often perform the same or better

http://4k.com/news/more-details-on-sonys-new-and-stunning-ultra-premium-z9d-hdr-4k-tvs-15758/

[quote]Most interestingly, while the XBR-D models from early to mid-2016 have been disappointing in their HDR specs when compared to competing HDR TV models from Samsung, we might see the Z9D televisions fly right past their Samsung SUHD counterparts in terms of high quality peak brightness and black level delivery. So far, the Samsung 2016 SUHD Televisions and the flagship KS9800 in particular, have been the absolute best LCD 4K HDR TV’s we’ve yet managed to review. We’ll have to wait and see if the new Sony Z9D editions outperform even this high bar and what detailed measurement can show us across their specific display metrics.[/quote]

So lets wait until we see reviews as you can see sony TVs have been behind for years. Maybe, Maybe they can change that with the Z9D but it better blow about the Samsung for costing 25% more

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2494882-value-electronics-2016-tv-shootout-results.html

scroll down just bit and you'd see it was no contest that the Sony won hands down even past the OLED for day time viewing or in more lighted room which a major of americans fall under as not many people have dedicated theater rooms that are pitch black unless they are enthusiasts. Now that's only the 940D and again like I said you look at the Z9 and what it has it's like trying to compare PS4 Pro to what a GTX 1080 can do - come on dude - just give it up.

One thing I'll give you thatyou said is that the Samsung is cheaper and at the 65inch size I'd definitely go OLED as well since the money between the Z9 and OLED is comparable BUT once you go past that size the OLED at 77inch is $20k where as the 75inch Z9 is like half that amount. And the higher we are starting to go up in resolution the bigger TV helps unless you wanna be sitting very close to the TV.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By demon-returns

@foxhound_fox said:

Preparing for upscaled 4K.

Must be fun.

If you have $2000 to spend on a TV, why not buy a monster PC and get native 4K?

Are there PC monitors that are HDR capable?

I mean even if you spend money on a PC you'd still have to buy one of these TVs to then use as a monitor for it sooooo......................??

edit - not trying to make fun of you, I really haven't done research on PC monitors so if there really is one it would be cool if you can point me to it ---->

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is my TV: Samsung UN55JU6500 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV.

Though I don't game on it much.

Most of my gaming happens on this monitor: BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz 1ms 27 inch Gaming Monitor

And then I have an additional 27 inch Samsung monitor that I game on, but usually for slower paced games. It has slightly better picture quality than my BenQ monitor, but lacks the refresh rate and isn't as responsive.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@demon-returns said:

I mean even if you spend money on a PC you'd still have to buy one of these TVs to then use as a monitor for it sooooo......................??

edit - not trying to make fun of you, I really haven't done research on PC monitors so if there really is one it would be cool if you can point me to it ---->

Not talking about PC monitors. I'm talking about buying a rig to make that $2000 TV a worthy investment. :P

I wouldn't buy that kind of TV unless I could take full advantage of it's capability.

And to me, 1080p is more than enough. I care more about performance and steady (and high) framerates.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darkangel115

@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2494882-value-electronics-2016-tv-shootout-results.html

scroll down just bit and you'd see it was no contest that the Sony won hands down even past the OLED for day time viewing or in more lighted room which a major of americans fall under as not many people have dedicated theater rooms that are pitch black unless they are enthusiasts. Now that's only the 940D and again like I said you look at the Z9 and what it has it's like trying to compare PS4 Pro to what a GTX 1080 can do - come on dude - just give it up.

One thing I'll give you thatyou said is that the Samsung is cheaper and at the 65inch size I'd definitely go OLED as well since the money between the Z9 and OLED is comparable BUT once you go past that size the OLED at 77inch is $20k where as the 75inch Z9 is like half that amount. And the higher we are starting to go up in resolution the bigger TV helps unless you wanna be sitting very close to the TV.

well according to your link, the LG at the same price beat it, and the older samsung 1500 bucks cheaper was pretty close. In that case I'd still take the LG which was my main point of LG or Samsung.

also there is flaws in what you linked

"One thing I felt was missing from the shootout was a true reference monitor to judge color. It's hard to judge color accuracy without a point of reference, and in that sense, the color accuracy category was a bit of a misnomer. People were voting on the image they thought looked best, not necessarily the one that was most accurate and reflected the artist's intent. Granted, it's possible for the most accurate color to be the most pleasing to look at, but without a reference monitor, there's no way of knowing. I did appreciate the inclusion of a calibrated Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, which looked great when showing BT.709 content with the lights dimmed."

"I've seen a few KS9800s over the past month or so, and this is the first time I have seen such an obvious flaw in one. It makes me wonder if there was a defective LED in the backlight array given the size and shape of the defect. Another thing I noticed during the shootout was that the KS9800 occasionally displayed muted colors and it required a reset of the HDMI connection to get proper HDR/WCG performance out of it."

"I can't say I agree the OLED was superior to the Samsung for "overall day" viewing. I did not see that it offered better motion resolution or HDR/WCG performance than the LCDs. Nevertheless, the votes show that the majority came to a different conclusion. I look forward to seeing the calibration-measurement results for any insights they might offer regarding the discrepancy between my impressions and the attendees' votes."

So lets wait until we get some technical tests. "viewer eye" is usually not great. thats why manufacturers ship with brightness and backlight turned really high, so floor models stand out and people buy them. Most people look for the biggest and brightest. The settings by default are poor for actual quality and correct color.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Holy shit you guys are giving me some ideas, none of which are good for my wallet :)

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zen_Light

@ConanTheStoner: Does your tv not support HDR?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner

@Zen_Light said:

@ConanTheStoner: Does your tv not support HDR?

Hmm, I figured it didn't, but it turns out it does.

- Meets CEA 4K UHD Connected and HDR Compatibility Definitions

- Compatible with Next-Gen UHD Blu-Ray HDR

That's cool.

Either way though, I still prefer just gaming on a monitor lol. Even in gaming mode, my TV is nowhere near as responsive as my BenQ monitor. Plus my computer chair is far more comfy for extended play sessions than any couch could ever be.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zen_Light

@ConanTheStoner: That's great, because a lot of older and cheaper 4k tvs don't support HDR. And yeah, the input lag is pretty high for most of these 4k tvs, even newer ones.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner

@Zen_Light said:

@ConanTheStoner: That's great, because a lot of older and cheaper 4k tvs don't support HDR. And yeah, the input lag is pretty high for most of these 4k tvs, even newer ones.

Yeah definitely. I didn't even research this TV before buying lol. I went out earlier this year to get a new 1080p set and saw that the 4k sets weren't really that much more expensive, so I just bought it right there. It's a good TV, especially since I just watch movies and shows on it.

The lag in regular mode is absolutely unplayable for a fast paced game. In gaming mode it's not too bad though, I was able to play stricter stuff like Bloodborne, Ninja Gaiden, DMC3, Bayo 2, and Super Meat Boy without any real issues. But still, it has nothing on a true gaming monitor.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

for a tv i still got a plasma ...63" samsung bought it in 2009.

plan to finally join 4k in november or december....going to get a 65" oled 4k....going to cost me 4k or 5k i think.

for a monitor i already got a 31" 4k....looks great when you put games in actual 4k.

----------

i dont know what to do with my plasma....works perfect and looks like new still :(

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By demon-returns

@foxhound_fox said:
@demon-returns said:

Not talking about PC monitors. I'm talking about buying a rig to make that $2000 TV a worthy investment. :P

I wouldn't buy that kind of TV unless I could take full advantage of it's capability.

And to me, 1080p is more than enough. I care more about performance and steady (and high) framerates.

Aha I see.... if you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

I mean with the new graphics card coming out now it's slowly becoming cheaper to output 4K resolutions now but there have been some people pushing 4k graphics the past couple years now but I guess the new thing is the high dynamic range factor.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 demon-returns

@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:
@demon-returns said:
@darkangel115 said:

well according to your link, the LG at the same price beat it, and the older samsung 1500 bucks cheaper was pretty close. In that case I'd still take the LG which was my main point of LG or Samsung.

also there is flaws in what you linked

"One thing I felt was missing from the shootout was a true reference monitor to judge color. It's hard to judge color accuracy without a point of reference, and in that sense, the color accuracy category was a bit of a misnomer. People were voting on the image they thought looked best, not necessarily the one that was most accurate and reflected the artist's intent. Granted, it's possible for the most accurate color to be the most pleasing to look at, but without a reference monitor, there's no way of knowing. I did appreciate the inclusion of a calibrated Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, which looked great when showing BT.709 content with the lights dimmed."

"I've seen a few KS9800s over the past month or so, and this is the first time I have seen such an obvious flaw in one. It makes me wonder if there was a defective LED in the backlight array given the size and shape of the defect. Another thing I noticed during the shootout was that the KS9800 occasionally displayed muted colors and it required a reset of the HDMI connection to get proper HDR/WCG performance out of it."

"I can't say I agree the OLED was superior to the Samsung for "overall day" viewing. I did not see that it offered better motion resolution or HDR/WCG performance than the LCDs. Nevertheless, the votes show that the majority came to a different conclusion. I look forward to seeing the calibration-measurement results for any insights they might offer regarding the discrepancy between my impressions and the attendees' votes."

So lets wait until we get some technical tests. "viewer eye" is usually not great. thats why manufacturers ship with brightness and backlight turned really high, so floor models stand out and people buy them. Most people look for the biggest and brightest. The settings by default are poor for actual quality and correct color.

But the thing is you also have to factor the size of the TV into the equation which does a lot to help towards having benefits of the higher resolution to begin with.

The 940D is 75 inches and the OLED is 65, when you try to jump into the 70+ inch size the OLED price sky rockets to an insane $20,000. And the KS9800 I believe is cheaper like you said but is also 65 inches. So while the Sony may cost a little more like you said once you start going up in inches then the premium price really shoots up.

The people that did the shoot out aren't just ordinary joes from around the street corner, these are experts in the industry of calibration etc.

I also believe that unlike rec 709 content there really isn't any calibration for rec 2020 content at the moment as when you start watching UHD blu rays the back light and contrast gets maxed automatically and the color space works the same way. Can't really change or adjust it. At least for the samsung TV I have anyway. Not sure how other models like Sony, Vizio or LG do it but I'd think it's similar.

I do think that one thing you and I BOTH agree on is that OLED is top notch at the moment as far as superior blacks go even though it can't really get as bright as the LEDs, but still most will take it in a heart beat over any LED especially the non FALD ones as they are prone to light bleed blooming in dark scenes with blacks looking more like gray.

Did you hear about Samsung possibly making QLEDs as the next tech to even surpass OLED?