gaming job help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biswajit90210
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

Guys i have an interview for a gaming job and i need to prepare for it..i need basic info about various games from different sources like the release date, developers,publishers etc for america, europe and australia. It can be any game so i am trying my best to get as much info as possible from gamespot,ign,wiki,allgame, can you guys mention any other website that i can check which will have detailed information about games? i am a little confused so i needed some help..a gaming job this is my dream!! please help if u can thanks :)

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 biswajit90210

BTW not really sure if this was the right place to post this but i have no time!!

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Young man become a doctor or lawyer!

Just joking :P

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

What's the job description?

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

You should have prepared for this if it's your dream.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Guys i have an interview for a gaming job and i need to prepare for it..i need basic info about various games from different sources like the release date, developers,publishers etc for america, europe and australia. It can be any game so i am trying my best to get as much info as possible from gamespot,ign,wiki,allgame, can you guys mention any other website that i can check which will have detailed information about games? i am a little confused so i needed some help..a gaming job this is my dream!! please help if u can thanks :)

biswajit90210

that's a bit of wide topic, can you narrow it down?

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biswajit90210

I am prepared for it, i just needed more info..the job profile is of a game researcher(if i can call it that) it's for a forum that gets detailed information about various games on various platforms like the publishers, developers the release date of a game on different platforms in US, EU, JP. What they are looking for is how accurate i can be with the info they need for eg assassin's creed 3 i need to find out about the developer publisher the US, UK release dates the guys who ported the game to other platforms etc. What i guess i need is something like wiki but with more accurate and detailed info..and yes iam looking too!

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

I am prepared for it, i just needed more info..the job profile is of a game researcher(if i can call it that) it's for a forum that gets detailed information about various games on various platforms like the publishers, developers the release date of a game on different platforms in US, EU, JP. What they are looking for is how accurate i can be with the info they need for eg assassin's creed 3 i need to find out about the developer publisher the US, UK release dates the guys who ported the game to other platforms etc. What i guess i need is something like wiki but with more accurate and detailed info..and yes iam looking too!

biswajit90210

no offense, but that's all easilly googled if you want to know who did the ports go to youtube, watch each version as it starts up and see if there's a difference between developer logos as the games boot

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 biswajit90210

[QUOTE="biswajit90210"]

rilpas

no offense, but that's all easilly googled if you want to know who did the ports go to youtube, watch each version as it starts up and see if there's a difference between developer logos as the games boot

yup iam doing just that..it's just that sometimes the information differs on websites anyway thanks
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="biswajit90210"]

biswajit90210

yup iam doing just that..it's just that sometimes the information differs on websites anyway thanks

If I was interviewing you, the sort of questions I'd be asking are:

Where is the best place to find out information about upcoming games? For example, Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5.

I think that good answer's would be, the developer's own website (Rockstar North), the publisher's website, (Rockstar Games). Also, developer interviews would be good, as you are quoting someone on the actual gaming team.

Wikipedia is a great resource, but the primary information you read on Wikipedia comes from these sources.

I think an shopping website would be a quick and easy source for release dates.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Big_Pecks

Pretty much. Kind of sound like the worst person for whatever job it is.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

biswajit90210
first off, realize that they won't be asking you that stuff. you're not supposed to memorize them. you're supposed to know the best, most reliable ways to get the most accurate results.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Wow TC a few years on here and you should already know enough to be great at the job, however, the job isn't about testing your current knowledge, it's about your techniques of researching, you can't just answer every question with "Well I looked on this site and it tells me everything I need to know, so i copy and paste it!". It's about getting the latest news and information from reliable sources, you might get some contact emails for people working in various game publishers by the sound of the job description and you then have to try to squeeze things out of them game titles, development times, the engine, platforms it'll release. Direct information that other sites then cite your page for, leading to increased traffic and more exposure. If you simply repost already widely posted information then you wouldn't be someone I'd hire. I want someone who can get up to the minute information from a wide range of reliable sources, not rumours and reposts of information already on 300 other sites. Anyway that's my take on the job you applied for but I am no expert so don't take it to heart.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Defending a console in SW is the best gaming related work there is.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Defending a console in SW is the best gaming related work there is.dramaybaz
That's not a job, it's a duty for most :P
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

I've been working in this industry for years... I have NEVER heard of a job like this. If for some crazy reason such a job exists you seem ill prepared for it.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Good luck with the interview. A couple of thoughts: 1) Rather than trying to find out what the most accurate web sites are, focus on checking your data against multiple sources (so, for example, check the wiki, gamespot and Ubi-Soft's web site). If each site give you the same details, chance are good that the data is accurate. 2) Don't forget that you can mail the publisher and ask. Most companies will be happy to answer basic questions about their game. 3) A site like Mobygames (http://www.mobygames.com) can be useful since they usually list the complete credits of the game. So if you wanted to find out who localized AC3 to Spanish, go to mobygames.com, search for Assassin's Creed 3, select complete credits in the bottom right and select the platform. You can now search through the credits for details. The credits will list that the Spanish localization was handled by 'Synthesis Iberia, S.L.'. 4) GameFaqs.com can be a good source (look under game > home > release data for a good overview of the different versions and regional releases). 5) Google!
biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biswajit90210

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

heretrix

Pretty much. Kind of sound like the worst person for whatever job it is.

kind of sounds like the worst person at judging someone..did i mention that i need the information today? i said i have a job interview and i need some information. I am already preparing for the interview and the job, i just wanted to know from my fellow gamers if there is a website i can use which is like wiki to get more information about games. So if you can't help just don't comment..you don't have to be a smart ass about it.
biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biswajit90210
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]Good luck with the interview. A couple of thoughts: 1) Rather than trying to find out what the most accurate web sites are, focus on checking your data against multiple sources (so, for example, check the wiki, gamespot and Ubi-Soft's web site). If each site give you the same details, chance are good that the data is accurate. 2) Don't forget that you can mail the publisher and ask. Most companies will be happy to answer basic questions about their game. 3) A site like Mobygames (http://www.mobygames.com) can be useful since they usually list the complete credits of the game. So if you wanted to find out who localized AC3 to Spanish, go to mobygames.com, search for Assassin's Creed 3, select complete credits in the bottom right and select the platform. You can now search through the credits for details. The credits will list that the Spanish localization was handled by 'Synthesis Iberia, S.L.'. 4) GameFaqs.com can be a good source (look under game > home > release data for a good overview of the different versions and regional releases). 5) Google!

Thank you so much i will do that cheers!