GameTrailers: Splatoon Reinvents and Upends Shooters

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

NO WIIMOTE AND NUNCHUCK CONTROLS = NO Buy from me simple as that and thats a real shame because the game looks great but they have not shown one time that the game has a WiiMote and Nunchuck control option

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

You do realize this is just marketing drivel, right?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

not sw material. flagged.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Ew it's not brown and generic enough. What is fun?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#55 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

No, this is a roundtable by editors discussing their impressions on an upcoming game that they have played.

Marketing drivel is the threads you make for anything related to Sony.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@nini200 said:

NO WIIMOTE AND NUNCHUCK CONTROLS = NO Buy from me simple as that and thats a real shame because the game looks great but they have not shown one time that the game has a WiiMote and Nunchuck control option

It has even finer controls. The gyroscope aiming system is even better for aiming than the wiimote and nunchuck. Many of the previews have been raving about it.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Boy, I hope you never quote or source a site or anything that compliments one of your beloved PlayStation games since its nothing but "marketing drivel"

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
@nini200 said:

I really hope this isnt true. I dont wanna have to get a pro controller for mp.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@nini200 said:

It has even finer controls. The gyroscope aiming system is even better for aiming than the wiimote and nunchuck. Many of the previews have been raving about it.

Gyroscope aiming may be better (subjective because I don't believe it is by any means) however only one player can use that at a time since it's only One Gamepad use per console so therefore WiiMote is still better.

@wolverine4262 said:
@nini200 said:

I really hope this isnt true. I dont wanna have to get a pro controller for mp.

There has not been one video of Splatoon where they've shown anything but the Gamepad being used outside of this recent direct because of the Battle Dojo where one player is using the gamepad screen and the other is using the tv screen (implying they were using a Pro controller).

Hopefully WiiMote and Nunchuck controls are an option in this.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I'm excited for the game, but I just feel like it's lacking in some areas. Local co-op looks lame (I hope that's not the only mode) and I feel like two modes online for a shooter is way too light.

But I could be wrong though MK8 and smash are limited in terms of match set ups. And I play the hell out of those.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts
@Wild_man_22 said:

I'm excited for the game, but I just feel like it's lacking in some areas. Local co-op looks lame (I hope that's not the only mode) and I feel like two modes online for a shooter is way too light.

But I could be wrong though MK8 and smash are limited in terms of match set ups. And I play the hell out of those.

It would be shocking if those were the only two online modes. I mean, to separate the modes and call one "Ranked battles" really makes it seem like there would be more ranked modes. It would just seem pointless to go through the trouble of calling one ranked if there is only one

Avatar image for bundleofnumbers
bundleofnumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62  Edited By bundleofnumbers
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

My concern for splatoon is the fact there is no voice communication between teammates in a game that appears to give a lot of strategic options, everyone will be doing their own thing which kinda takes away from the team strategy experience for me... Have to see what its like at launch

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I just don't see the hype. Not at all.

I'll wait to for the reviews to come in to get a better idea of the game.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@charizard1605: The problem with 3rd person online shooters is their modes and how to be appealing even after alot of hours.

Thats the big bet with Splatoon. As an idea and all is great but the big question is ...for how long it will be fun to play with it. Lets see, game seems promising but there are alot of worrying things about it ( for its online aspect at least , i dont know about its single player )

CrashNeoSigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By CrashNeoSigma
Member since 2014 • 50 Posts

Game looks like crap to me honestly and Nintendo higher ups f - ed up again ... They were going to put the mario characters in this game ... that would of finally made freaking sense to put mario in a shooter ... how the hell does nintendo keep getting away with such trash they run out for 25 years straight ... We bitch about games like madden having little to nothing done for the next installment and other games ... why doesn't nintendo get the same overwhelming hate it deserves is beyond me ... Nintendo won't be nothing until maybe 10 more years when all the higher ups retire at nintendo and a new management is at the helm

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@crashneosigma said:

Game looks like crap to me honestly and Nintendo higher ups f - ed up again ... They were going to put the mario characters in this game ... that would of finally made freaking sense to put mario in a shooter ... how the hell does nintendo keep getting away with such trash they run out for 25 years straight ... We bitch about games like madden having little to nothing done for the next installment and other games ... why doesn't nintendo get the same overwhelming hate it deserves is beyond me ... Nintendo won't be nothing until maybe 10 more years when all the higher ups retire at nintendo and a new management is at the helm

Your post just proves that there is no way to please everyone. People actually like that its a new IP and that there is no Mario references involved.

Avatar image for bundleofnumbers
bundleofnumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#67 bundleofnumbers
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@crashneosigma said:

Your post just proves that there is no way to please everyone. People actually like that its a new IP and that there is no Mario references involved.

It makes sense that it is a new ip as they have made the new characters transform into squids to improve their mobility, every long franchise has a first game. I dont think you can compare mario to madden, though there is a bias when some people will say a game like uncharted is milking the series at the 4th installment and then go to play mario party 10... (but at least mario party is different, though thats not a good thing in this case, madden is literally the same game each year)

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@bundleofnumbers said:

@bunchanumbers said:

It makes sense that it is a new ip as they have made the new characters transform into squids to improve their mobility, every long franchise has a first game. I dont think you can compare mario to madden, though there is a bias when some people will say a game like uncharted is milking the series at the 4th installment and then go to play mario party 10... (but at least mario party is different, though thats not a good thing in this case, madden is literally the same game each year)

Gollum... is that you?

Anyways personally I'm glad they separated this from Mario, it gives the impression of a greater diversity in their IP. If it had been Mario related people would be bitching about milking an old franchise with weird spinoffs.

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: maybe it is something you have to play before you judge it . I used to jugde stuff when I was younger but something won't be fun unless you play it because monster hunter looked boring watching other people play.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

It is too bad that the longevity of this game, which I think will be great, will be cut short by Nintendo's refusal to take their online into the modern age.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Looks pretty lame.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

I was looking forward to this game and so were a few of my friends but since Nintendo announced that it would not have voice chat I will no longer be buying it. When I play shooters I like to play strategically and call out where enemies are hiding. Lack of voice chat has turned me off of this game and it cost a Nintendo a sale.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

It is too bad that the longevity of this game, which I think will be great, will be cut short by Nintendo's refusal to take their online into the modern age.

@ryno1179 said:

I was looking forward to this game and so were a few of my friends but since Nintendo announced that it would not have voice chat I will no longer be buying it. When I play shooters I like to play strategically and call out where enemies are hiding. Lack of voice chat has turned me off of this game and it cost a Nintendo a sale.

It's a real bummer. Not even friend party chat. Nintendo's should be more interested in our demographic, but they just don't seem to understand the internet and they have had the Gamecube, Wii, DS, 3DS, and part of the Wii U gen to figure it out.

I loved that it was a new IP, so I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of any voice chat. It went from a Day one buy to now a cheap purchase down the road, if ever.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@sylveon128 said:

@mr_huggles_dog: maybe it is something you have to play before you judge it . I used to jugde stuff when I was younger but something won't be fun unless you play it because monster hunter looked boring watching other people play.

I've got news for you. You're going to judge stuff until the day you die....young or old.

Either way...thats why I specifically said "From the videos I've seen".

Also...ppl are positively judging this without playing it...so lets not just single me out shall we.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

My first reaction: Why is "E for Everyone" somehow derogatory in their tone? As if games made with that rating in mind shouldn't even be considered? Kind of a reflection on the state of modern gamers.

My second reaction: I'm excited to play the game. I have been since it was announced. It looks like a genuinely FUN multiplayer game. Something that has been missing for a long time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MirkoS77

@SolidTy said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@ryno1179 said:

It's a real bummer. Not even friend party chat. Nintendo's should be more interested in our demographic, but they just don't seem to understand the internet and they have had the Gamecube, Wii, DS, 3DS, and part of the Wii U gen to figure it out.

I loved that it was a new IP, so I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of any voice chat. It went from a Day one buy to now a cheap purchase down the road, if ever.

I think they understand the net, it's just not something they agree with in what they believe gaming should entail. They still envision everyone sitting in front of the TV laughing together, and while I can agree with that ideal, it's just not a practical reality for many fans who grew up with them from the eighties and have other responsibilities and don't (or rarely) have the opportunity to have a "Splatoon get-together night", much less younger people who've known nothing but the net and expect this as a standard.

This is a company that seriously cannot acknowledge and move on from what they believed in the past. It's astonishing. If Nintendo doesn't alter their philosophy online, they are going to get slaughtered. GET THOSE DINOSAURS OUT OF THERE!

But I digress. I'll see how the single player pans out, but it really better be something special. Otherwise I'm with you, then it'll be relegated to the bargain bin or no purchase at all. And then Nintendo (and their fans) will continue to be completely at a loss as to why their new IPs struggle, and blame it principally on the "dudebro" audience or whatever else they wish, as long as it's not Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#78  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@MirkoS77: I hope for two things:

a) That Splatoon is successful enough to warrant further investment in this IP (i.e. a sequel), and other new IPs from Nintendo in general;

b) That no matter what Splatoon's performance is like in the end, Nintendo does not take that to be representative of how new IPs from them would perform in general (especially given how Splatoon faces so many limiting factors- poor install base, poor online infrastructure, and so on).

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I'm incredibly skeptical.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I've always thought it looks interesting and different. Too bad no one wants anything new. They want more COD and Madden BS. Ninty usually never wins. Make new IPs!.. I don't want that, give me more Zelda. Then complain the next day they want something new.

I'm hyped for any new Nintendo IP. We don't get enough of them because of reasons above.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Get over no voice chat already. It was stupid to not include it and all, but bitching until the moon turns blue wont reverse the decision. Move on. With the map on the tablet you'll know what's going on at all times.

@TrappedInABox91 said:

I've always thought it looks interesting and different. Too bad no one wants anything new. They want more COD and Madden BS. Ninty usually never wins. Make new IPs!.. I don't want that, give me more Zelda. Then complain the next day they want something new.

I'm hyped for any new Nintendo IP. We don't get enough of them because of reasons above.

This times ten.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77: I hope for two things:

a) That Splatoon is successful enough to warrant further investment in this IP (i.e. a sequel), and other new IPs from Nintendo in general;

b) That no matter what Splatoon's performance is like in the end, Nintendo does not take that to be representative of how new IPs from them would perform in general (especially given how Splatoon faces so many limiting factors- poor install base, poor online infrastructure, and so on).

That's what I fear will happen, and has been evidenced by their past.

I get the impression from Nintendo that they believe that gaming is how they believe it should be and everyone should follow them, and are conducting their business as such. Either they are trying to steer it to how they wish it against an insurmountable tide, or they're ignorant......and I don't think they're ignorant. I just think they're so high on their legend they really consider themselves to be the ones that dictate industry norms and desires, bolstered by the Wii.

And they're losing. How can they sit there and think they can dictate anything in such a position? I think you're right. If Splatoon falters, it'll be seen because the audience and industry are fools for not following the all-wise Nintendo in their 80s-90s philosophies in what direction gaming should take. It's arrogance mired in antiquated philosophy.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

The problem I see with your post is that Nintendo rarely makes new IP's.. Sony has venture out Waaaaaay more than Nintendo (not just 1st party) when it comes to new IP's. If Nintendo pulled their heads out of their asses and marketed their machine more, release more IPs like this, reach out to 3rd parties, and support their online more effectively.. then maybe they would get more people interested.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Too bad the game gets crippled with no voice chat, leaving out any chance for teams to comunicate and strategize

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@OhSnapitz: Even If they marketed it the way they should have, 3nd parties wouldn't be there. Nintendo ruined their rep. many years ago with them. Sad thing has been that Ninty doesn't seem to try. I believe Ubi even said that their games don't sell on the Nintendo hardware. (Which makes since considering they release old half ass ports on Wii U) The blame is the attitude of both of them. I sure hope Ninty takes a fair look at themselves for their future projects, because they're the reason Wii U is under performing.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#87  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@roler42: Teamspeak beach, get with the times.

I cant wait to get my Splatoon T-Shirt, im trying to find one now.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Roler42

@iandizion713: What about those who can't use teamspeak or can't access a computer while on the Wii U?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By iandizion713

@roler42: Can use a phone. Thats how we roll. Teamspeak is epic, we use it for PS3, Wii U, and PC. I use it on Mario Kart a lot also, its not needed, i actually dont know of a game that does need it, but its fun.

Wii U is epic cause it breaks the language barrier. I play against people in countries that i cant even understand. Nintendo is a universal language.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Roler42

@iandizion713: I have played people from countless countries around the world in games where there's still in-game voice chat

It's an option, options are good, why would you want less options in your game? why not ask for more? get more out of your game

This "universal languaje" is wherever gamers are playing online, nintendo is no special snowflake

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By iandizion713

@roler42: How do you chat with the people who speak other languages in the games?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Roler42

@iandizion713: Maybe because some of those people have english as a second languaje

Look don't get me wrong, i use both skype and teamspeak for my gaming sessions, but I don't think it's a good idea to remove the option from the main game

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By iandizion713

@roler42: When was it a part of the game? You dont even know if its needed. Voice Chat could hinder the gaming experience of Splatoon. Splatoon is for everyone. Kids, Teens, and Adults. Its also for all languages rather you speak German, Switz, Japanese, it doesnt matter, we can all play together. If youve ever been in a lobby for Wii U games you never have to wait. With all the countries put together, getting matches is super easy. A lot of games now have server population problems. Nintendo has found a way around this.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#94 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

This is one of those games I don't care about but will try at some point.

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: ooook I know everyone jugde people and thinks and not single just you or people who hate the game and let's say I was a cop and I was going to arrest someone and the guy looked like a criminal to me so I just put him in jail no I have to prove he did the crime not jugde him on his looks lol. I am telling all not just the hater to want til you play the game because you can say all you want but it means nothing just because you looked or heard other people talking bad about a game so let's not jugde a book by it's cover shall we.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

"Fundamentally changes everything you know about shooters"

*watches video....sees players shooting the floor and walls*

I guess? /shrug

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

I LOVE the fact that these videos sometimes slip through the thought process that goes on behind the scenes at Gamespot and simillar coverage sites.

"I originally ignored this game at E3 because I thought it was a E rated game for beginners... like look my grandma is playing a TPS duh-huh huh", "Yeah, I covered it because I looked at the schedule and no one else was gonna do it".

Amazing.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@roler42: Teamspeak beach, get with the times.

I cant wait to get my Splatoon T-Shirt, im trying to find one now.

Why should I have to use teamspeak on my Wiiu? I don't have to use it for any other console. Even the PS3 didn't have a party chat option but it didn't matter because you could still use in game chat. Hey Nintendo get with the times beach.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#99 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@charizard1605:

Im hyped also, i love competitive games and ill probably be getting Smash Bros and this one. The one-on-one local multiplayer also has me very excited. I hope we can play vs each other with one using the gamepad and the other using the TV screen. Would be epic if they can pull it off. I want a t-shirt also like Miyamoto wears, im not sure why this game feels so addicting, ive already bought the Amiibo set and im trying to get a shirt to wear when i buy it. I usually never do this for new IPs. Maybe its the colors.

The artstyle is appealing, I agree.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Joke? It's like an XBLA game. :(