Gamespot: What Microsoft Must Do To Win Next Gen

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

With Nintendo's Wii follow-up, the Wii U, due at the end of this year, the talk of next-generation consoles is already crackling. Soon we'll be overcome with rumors, leaks, and speculation about the eighth generation of game systems, which includes the next hardware from Microsoft and Sony.

But what are at least 10 things each console manufacturer needs to do to find success in the next iteration of the system wars? Let's kick things off by examining Microsoft, but be sure to check back in the following weeks for an assessment on Sony, Nintendo, and the next crop of mobile devices.Gamespot

The article goes on to list ten important things that Microsoft needs to do, including making sure that its lower end base model isn't so stripped down as to limit developers (the lack of hard drives in Xbox 360 Arcade/Core really hurt the prospect of game development on the system in the long term, since developers had to develop for the lowest common denominator), embrace Blu Ray, evolve Xbox Live, invest in more first party franchises, and more. You can read the full article here.

Xbox 8

The next Xbox will be crucial to Microsoft. As the final part in its three pronged strategy to gain entry into the living room, it is instrumental that Microsoft do it right.
What do you want from the next Xbox?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
That last bit really kills it for me, not everything needs kinect even for what they're suggesting it would just be a waste of resources for the dev team.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

While the GS writer Hilary is stating the obvious in the OP (Many of these "must do's" many of us already have spoken about in SW,industry analysts have spoken about it as well), I'm sure we won't see all those things come to fruition.

Also, I don't agree with HD Kinect 2 being force bundled in the 720, that just would drive the price of the 720 up. I also don't agree in forcing Kinect 2 into every game. Some multiplatform games will just be wasting money trying to think of ways to waggle gamers around. Waste of time.

However, I have suggested since Kinect's release that is exactly what is going to happen. So, while I have predicted that outcome of a built in Kinect, I actually have always hoped against it. We all should know that peripheral support wanes eventually compared to an install bases game support. Built in always allows for devs to explore, like the Sixaxis or Wiimotes. Sure, it won't always impress, but the option is there. Don't FORCE KINECT to be required on developers though...that's a terrible idea. A lot of these ideas though are wishful phone ins we've discussed many times in SW.

The author seems to want it all...but doesn't realize Timed Exclusives /Timed DLC costs money...the very same kind of money that creating 1st Party games/new IP's cost. It's no coincidence that M$ shut down, sold off, and downsized it's 1st Party division while we saw cheapy Kinect/XBLA/Timed Exclusive deals take off. These things go hand in hand. The writer wants more 1st Party games and more Timed DLC. It seems like wanting their cake and eat it too kind of situation.

An imaginary wish list. Most of it is fine though, it sure would be nice if we could have it all...some of it will happen and it's VERY Obvious, like continued Timed content, Xbox Live new deals, and Kinect 2, and some of it won't like STEAM being allowed on the 720.

It looks like IGN fired Hilary Goldstein, the writer of this new Gamespot.com piece.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts
  • Get rid of Kinect and go hardcore.
  • Make more decent 1st party games and cut the Kinect crap.
  • Get rid of DVD drive and use Blu-ray.
  • Get rid of that ridiculously huge power supply brick, and build it inside the console like the PS3.
  • Build the Wi-Fi in the console.
  • Use decent hardware like the PS3.
  • Change the controller.
  • Cut that battery bollocks off the controller and build rechargeable ones inside like DS3.
  • Make Xbox Live free.
  • Change the dashboard back to blades and make it HD.
  • Stop the ridiculous timed-exclusives and DLC.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

• Get rid of that ridiculously huge power supply brick, and build it inside the console like the PS3.
  • Change the controller.
  • Cut that battery bollocks off the controller and build rechargeable ones inside like DS3.
  • Make Xbox Live free.

GamerwillzPS

I would also say, go the way of building up 1st Party teams focusing on hardcore games, moving away from timed DLC/exclusives. Take that money going to Activision or whoever, and channel it into more games for gamers. :P

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

• Change the controller.
  • Make Xbox Live free.

SolidTy

I would also say, go the way of building up 1st Party teams focusing on hardcore games, moving away from timed DLC/exclusives. Take that money going to Activision or whoever, and channel it into more games for gamers. :P

Yes, this as well. I edited my post to add 1st party games.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

• Change the controller.
  • Make Xbox Live free.

GamerwillzPS

So in short you say , do exactly like the Company that sold the worst and lost lost all their money .

Top idea !

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts
This dude pretty much nailed it 2 months ago... http://www.meodia.com/article/401/state-of-the-union-the-outlook-for-next-generation/
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

• Change the controller.
  • Make Xbox Live free.

Caseytappy

So in short you say , do exactly like the Company that sold the worst and lost lost all their money .

Top idea !

I'm sorry but people suck if they like Kinect and Nintendo. I don't want any gimmicks that appeals casual gamers. They suck. PS3 is the PERFECT console in my point of view, it's just perfect. I couldn't ask for more.

If majority of people think the PS3 is a bad console, then this is an awful planet to live in and I do hope this world will end.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="Caseytappy"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

• Change the controller.
  • Make Xbox Live free.

GamerwillzPS

Top idea !

I'm sorry but people suck if they like Kinect and Nintendo. I don't want any gimmicks that appeals casual gamers. They suck. PS3 is the PERFECT console in my point of view, it's just perfect. I couldn't ask for more.

If majority of people think the PS3 is a bad console, then this is an awful planet to live in and I do hope this world will end.

:|
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Caseytappy"]

Top idea !

charizard1605

Go on, tell me what you think in words instead of a smiley face.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I would like to see Microsoft pull back from console gaming. Still think they should market Windows 8 as a gaming platform like they did with Windows 98.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

I think you're ridiculous if you were being serious.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Is so hard to predict generations. I think Kinect 2 will happen and build in which is like it should be if they want success,the problem is already those games are gimics,and as we have see the wii wow factor die off,so by 2013 or 14,kinect could be all but burn out and would actually hurt the xbox more than help it,the problem with Kinect is that it has change MS stance from is all about hardcore games,to its all about facebook,moving interfaces,and shallow games that star wars games was a disaster score wise,not that everyone did not see it coming,they need to drop Kinect off (i don't think they will) Stay like they are good enough hardware they don't have to fallow the PC market,and push for exclusives own by them,sony has a tons of games,while MS has just a few when they have money to make some great games,stop paying for games that will land on the other console latter,sure it was fun to have bioshock exclusive but as the market is now,the sequel you know damn right would be multi platform,something that will not happen with Halo,Forza and some other because they are owned by MS. Sony need to learn that not every one will buy something even when it is a great deal if the price is to high,they need to get to the PS2 times,good hardware,not over priced or to expensive.I my self think they should build everything around Home actually push those developers to use home,MS push developers all around all the time,and while some hate MS for it,it does work in making everything look more centralize,centralization is one key part,build the console to be more easy to re shape,so that if you need a features like cross game chat you can add it latter by update without problems. And Nintendo well Nintendo is something completely different,they will win money no matter if the console sell like crap or not,because on Nintendos hardware Mario is king,and Nintendo games sell above any other games from other developers,COD has done nothing on wii,and is because Nintendo is hardware is all about their games.
SpiralSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpiralSmile
Member since 2012 • 245 Posts
Microsoft has lost alot of trust from it's core base. If they want them back they are going to have to deliver some insanely good, controller based titles. Less apps more games!
gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts
  • Change the controller.
  • Make Xbox Live free.
GamerwillzPS
Agreed fully, one casual console Wii U is quite enough for the industry.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

GamerwillzPS

Man, just look at the gaming industry. Look at the Kinect sales. Look at the Wii sales. This world is screwed. Yes, I'm serious and it's a fact that people are fvcking retarded. They literally ruined PlayStation.

oh noes the competition surpassed the playstation, whathever shall we do? :cry:

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

rilpas

Enjoy playing such top notch titles such as "Cooking Mama Cook off" and "Kenectimals," I guess.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Vraeth

Enjoy playing such top notch titles such as "Cooking Mama Cook off" and "Kenectimals," I guess.

don't own either of them, but seeing as how you're recommending them I'm guessing you love them

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vraeth

don't own either of them, but seeing as how you're recommending them I'm guessing you love them

rilpas

*Whooooooooooosh*

That was the point going over your head.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Vraeth

*Whooooooooooosh*

Oh no, I got your point, I just thought it was stupid so I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, my mistake, next time I'll just assume you're not very smart :)

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vraeth

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

*Whooooooooooosh*

Oh no, I got your point, I just thought it was stupid so I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, my mistake, next time I'll just assume you're not very smart :)

Wow, compelling argument you have there buddy. You really fielded some well thought out facts.

You really just don't get the point. Look at the majority of Wii games. Look at the majority of Kinect games. It's pretty self explanatory--those types of casual games are what drove the sales of Wii and Kinect, and if that's the future of money makers, that's what we're all stuck with.

Flail about with your insults like the tool you are, but the fact is I'm right, you're wrong. You're the one coming off as an idiot.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

Alert. Alert. Self absorbed young person who thinks everything in gaming should cater only to their taste.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vraeth

Alert. Alert. Self absorbed young person who thinks everything in gaming should cater only to their taste.

SUD123456

Oh wow, you went straight to the "ur a kid" card. Very compelling. Or, you could take the more honest approach and say "Wow, I don't have an argument, so I'm just going to call you a kid."

It has nothing to do with being self-absorbed and it has everything to do with the industry is completely going in a direction which alienates a lot of gamers because the market is simply bigger. But I guess seeing a hobby I like slowly dying due to the mainstreaming just makes me self-absorbed. Enjoy your Kinectimals.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rilpas

SUD123456

Bingo! this is why I Vraeth's argument was moronic at best, selfish and moronic at worst

so I'll just reiterate my original point:

"oh noes the competition surpassed the playstation, whathever shall we do? cry.gif"

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

Vraeth

Oh wow, you went straight to the "ur a kid" card. Very compelling. Or, you could take the more honest approach and say "Wow, I don't have an argument, so I'm just going to call you a kid."

It has nothing to do with being self-absorbed and it has everything to do with the industry is completely going in a direction which alienates a lot of gamers because the market is simply bigger. But I guess seeing a hobby I like slowly dying due to the mainstreaming just makes me self-absorbed. Enjoy your Kinectimals.

Alert. Alert. Self absorbed young person who thinks everything in gaming should cater only to their taste AND who has no grasp of capitalism.

Hint: Capitalism is not a zero sum game.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

The only thing anybody needs to do to win next-gen is to be open to all distribution models, methods, and pricing.

Just look at the game industry when it comes to PC and tablets/smartphones. Both have been seeing record growth each year, and have been rapidly increasing since 2008.

Meanwhile the console industry has been on the decline since that same time period, and just this year alone (for one example) the NPD has posted year-over-year decline every month.

It's simple! There are millions of gamers who can't afford to drop $60 on each game they want. Not only that, but some can't even afford the $10-$15 arcade titles either.

As it stands the tablet/smartphone and PC industries are the only industries that allow gamers of all budgets to play. Even people with no money can still game on the PC.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

-Use monthly payment plan tied to super low hardware price.
-Kinect "2" based.
-Ingame advertisements.
-Pay for exclusive deals. "I don't create, I own."
-Focus on USA so they can take these to more extremes.
-Blueray and more aps/services.
-Partner more with Activision.
-In the meantime wait for more media services to distribute worldwide.
-Gain control of media outlets around games (review sites etc.).

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I don't think the Xbox will be that crucial to MS next gen. Like always, Windows will be their bread and butter that allows them to even try anything else.

It's a pretty solid setup they have with Windows.

Create an operating system that, with updates, chugs more and more on the hardware it used to run great on. This helps drive PC sales, which come with new copies of Windows, which makes PC manufacturers love MS and allows MS to make the deals for PC developers to shut out any possible competition.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamerwillzPS

The only thing anybody needs to do to win next-gen is to be open to all distribution models, methods, and pricing.

Just look at the game industry when it comes to PC and tablets/smartphones. Both have been seeing record growth each year, and have been rapidly increasing since 2008.

Meanwhile the console industry has been on the decline since that same time period, and just this year alone (for one example) the NPD has posted year-over-year decline every month.

It's simple! There are millions of gamers who can't afford to drop $60 on each game they want. Not only that, but some can't even afford the $10-$15 arcade titles either.

As it stands the tablet/smartphone and PC industries are the only industries that allow gamers of all budgets to play. Even people with no money can still game on the PC.

Raymundo_Manuel

facedesk.jpg

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GamerwillzPS

-Use monthly payment plan tied to super low hardware price.
-Kinect "2" based.
-Ingame advertisements.
-Pay for exclusive deals. "I don't create, I own."
-Focus on USA so they can take these to more extremes.
-Blueray and more aps/services.
-Partner more with Activision.
-In the meantime wait for more media services to distribute worldwide.

KungfuKitten

Well done for making some of the worst decisions ever made. Apart from Blu-ray.

People like you are part of the problem. The gaming industry is dying.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

here is my two cents:

- Make Kinect 2 optional

- Buy Epic

- Buy Rockstar (sell Skype if you have to)

- Spend a lot on the X720 GPU

- Make all retail games downloadable on XBL day 1

- Use BD

- Don't be afraid of having an expensive hardware, just do like what Apple does, and subsidize the hardware via 2 years contracts (similar to the $99 X360 plan)

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

GamerwillzPS

Man, just look at the gaming industry. Look at the Kinect sales. Look at the Wii sales. This world is screwed. Yes, I'm serious and it's a fact that people are fvcking retarded. They literally ruined PlayStation.

You do realize that "Casual" is what built the Playstations install base so high? well, that and faulty hardware in the ps1 & ps2 days.
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wewantdoom4now
Member since 2012 • 1792 Posts

1# stop appealing to casuals.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wewantdoom4now
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] I think you're ridiculous if you were being serious. dotWithShoes

You do realize that "Casual" is what built the Playstations install base so high? well, that and faulty hardware in the ps1 & ps2 days.

Doesnt matter ps1 is the only good playstation console and it was built for gamers not casuals.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

wewantdoom4now

Doesnt matter ps1 is the only good playstation console and it was built for gamers not casuals.

Never had a ps1 when it came out did ya?
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wewantdoom4now
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] You do realize that "Casual" is what built the Playstations install base so high? well, that and faulty hardware in the ps1 & ps2 days.

Never had a ps1 when it came out did ya?

I have a launch ps1 made august 1995 released in september 1995. Whats odds of someone getting launch ps1 if i didnt play it? LOL smart guy ps1 is made for GAMERS ps2 and ps3 were made for casuals.
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wewantdoom4now

go look at sony e3 1995 conference.

ps1 was aimed at 19 year old hardcore gamers what they said.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dotWithShoes

wewantdoom4now
And there over 100 million of those? odd.. wonder how many of those were replacement consoles.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Built-in Kinect seems to ignore the reality that Kinect needs to be positions on top of/underneath/next to you TV to work. Unless the whole console is going to fit on a mantlepiece, built-in Kinect is a dumb idea.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#45 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
There's nothing Microsoft can do to win next gen. Nintendo has to screw up.
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wewantdoom4now
[QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"]

dotWithShoes
And there over 100 million of those? odd.. wonder how many of those were replacement consoles.

Who cares just go watch e3 1995 it wasnt made for casuals.
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wewantdoom4now

ps2 outsold ps1 because of the casuals buying it for a dvd player.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wewantdoom4now
Built-in Kinect seems to ignore the reality that Kinect needs to be positions on top of/underneath/next to you TV to work. Unless the whole console is going to fit on a mantlepiece, built-in Kinect is a dumb idea. Ninja-Hippo
kinect needs to be thrown in the garbage it has nothing to do with gaming.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dotWithShoes

ps2 outsold ps1 because of the casuals buying it for a dvd player.

wewantdoom4now
And replacement consoles for the garbage hardware Sony produced.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#50 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

They need more reliable and powerful hardware, better exclusives, less focus on Kinect, and free online gaming.

Basically they need to make a PS3.