Gamers would enjoy PCs if its fans weren't hostile

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chronogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Chronogos
Member since 2014 • 392 Posts

Would more gamers adopt PC gaming if getting into it were easier?

Costs aside, a major reason some gamers stay away from PC gaming, is simply because how hostile its fanbase/the master race can be.

When I was younger, I wanted to get into PC gaming but dared not to because whenever I asked a "newb" type question, I was treated like I was a complete moron.

Of course, now that I know a lot more about computer than I did back then, my PC is now my favorite gaming platform. But that's only because I learned how to do so myself.

Master race jokes towards peasants can be quite funny, however, they go to show what the PC community is (largely) like. If you truly want to help someone enjoy the superior gaming experience, the last thing you want to do is make fun of them. Yes, it is annoying when you have to explain what an SSD is and why it's better than a 7200 RPM HDD, but everyone has to start from somewhere! Some people don't even know how to take a screenshot on a PC, but that's the fun of it! Sharing your passions with someone else is a very rewarding experience!

So my question is, would more gamers venture into the world of PC gaming if the community weren't so hostile towards newbs?

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

What?

Most people who don't game on PC simply don't know how to build a PC or don't have the disposable income to put together a quality rig.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Anyone who takes any offence to this stuff on the internet is an absolute fool.

"How Nice" gamers are effects nothing outside of real socially anxious people. For gods sake the most popular gaming genre in the world, across core gaming platforms (MOBAs) is one of the harshest, elitest communities out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well. all the platforms can be fairly hostile, outside of Nintendo tbh. ever listened to the chats when playing a mp game? yeeeah -.-

There are idiots in the PC community no doubt, most of the people WHO gives sny remarks, tend to either just found out the answer themselves (and likely very young) or the question has been asked so many times that it has begun to irk.

Notthat it is a good excuse for being a dick, nothing really is.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Cows are the most hostile; Newton's 4th law.

On serious note, every platform is followed by different kind of people. But at least PC gamers know what they are talking about and don't act dumb or lie just to defend their platform or prove their point.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Didn't some PlayStation fans send death threats over final fantasy? And recently there were Xbox fans using the hashtag xboxorweriot

There's assholes everywhere

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It would be absolutely silly to ignore something you're interested in because the fanbase is filled with a bunch of loud, angry morons who think they are better than everyone else. And that's not exclusive to PC, it's on all platforms of gaming and in plenty of other mediums.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Not all PC gamers are hermits. Hell I think hermits are a minority when it comes to PC gaming.

Chronogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chronogos
Member since 2014 • 392 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: That is true. But what I'm talking about, is why do so many PC gamers seem to hate explaining things to newbs? I know where they come from, I used to be an IT guy and would cringe when I had to explain how to take a screenshot, but it's very hard to get into a new niche when no one wants to help. Kind of like those awkward guys who are in their late 20's and don't know how to drive a stick shift even though they got their driver's license when they were 16 :D

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

when i talked to pc gamers about pc gamming they were terrific and very helpful.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib

@chronogos said:

@Cloud_imperium: That is true. But what I'm talking about, is why do so many PC gamers seem to hate explaining things to newbs? I know where they come from, I used to be an IT guy and would cringe when I had to explain how to take a screenshot, but it's very hard to get into a new niche when no one wants to help. Kind of like those awkward guys who are in their late 20's and don't know how to drive a stick shift even though they got their driver's license when they were 16 :D

there's plenty of places to go to get advice about building a PC, and i've found most people to be rather helpful there

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

when i talked to pc gamers about pc gamming they were terrific and very helpful.

Exactly...

You go to any PC building forum and they are nothing but nice.

TC just making a selective thread.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cloud_imperium

@chronogos said:

Bad luck I guess. Frankly, I find PC gamers quite helpful. A lot of people even post in PC and Mac discussion here on forums and users post links of different hardware that you can just order by opening links one by one, they also explain everything that how stuff works. Yes, I know these discussions almost always turn into "My recommended build is better than yours" but that's normal in the world of PC Gaming. However if you are talking about online communities of games like DOTA or LOL then I agree. That's why I don't touch those genres at all. Communities surrounding games like ArmA 3 and stuff are much better.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

PC gamers are definitely the worst on forums but there are idiots everywhere.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Hey lets pretend that the 1% of moronic gamers on 1 platform are exactly what the other 99% are like!

And lets pretend that the exact same thing does not happen on other platforms....

Infallible logic there.

The general reality is that many PC gamers love helping newcomers and this hostility towards newbs that you claim is just not the case, there is hostility in certain communities on certain games like any other platform but not towards a newcomers first time on the platform,and the lack of knowledge about hardware is a given and understood,none of us touched a PC for the first time and magically turned into Bill Gates.

The primary thing as always that keeps people away from PC gaming is misinformation and ignorance which is perpetuated by many fanboys on other platforms, some on this forum being a prime example.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Na...I haven't returned because I don't want to play around with patches and configuring hardware. Well now with consoles requiring a F*CKING internet connection all that is left is not playing with configuring hardware.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'm more then willing too help others get into pc gaming. Never was one to be a platform snob like so many are about their platform of choice. Hell I've probably got more then 50 posts alone giving someone a pcpartpicker.com build.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

They're definitely the bunch that gets trolled the easiest. It's ridiculous, really.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

lmfao

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

They're definitely the bunch that gets trolled the easiest. It's ridiculous, really.

lol this.

Good grief people can't spot a bait thread if it slapped them. XBL (never been on a PSN game with enough people with mics to compare) is a horrific place and if anyone had ever taken the time to look at a PC game's forum they'd understand the ridiculousness of this thread.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@naz99 said:

Hey lets pretend that the 1% of moronic gamers on 1 platform are exactly what the other 99% are like!

And lets pretend that the exact same thing does not happen on other platforms....

Infallible logic there.

The general reality is that many PC gamers love helping newcomers and this hostility towards newbs that you claim is just not the case, there is hostility in certain communities on certain games like any other platform but not towards a newcomers first time on the platform,and the lack of knowledge about hardware is a given and understood,none of us touched a PC for the first time and magically turned into Bill Gates.

The primary thing as always that keeps people away from PC gaming is misinformation and ignorance which is perpetuated by many fanboys on other platforms, some on this forum being a prime example.

For some its the price and time for fine tuning , well for me thats the reason.

I just got a laptop and thats it.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Cows are by far the most hostile on the internet.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

How about stop playing the victim card, I see it all the time there are horrible fans on all platforms at least when it comes to internet discussions. Do they honestly think PC gamers are shouting master race and all that nonsense about console gamers while playing games? Console gamers play the victim card a lot especially. They complain about PC gamers arrogance when talking about PC vs Console gaming when most of the time PC gamers can back up what they say with facts. They seem think PC gamers stating facts equals arrogance. I see consolites shout things like PC nerds, dying platform, no games etc etc but if PC gamer ever replies and hits them with facts its the immediate victim card and how terrible PC gamers are so they'll never play on PC.

The truth is you'll never try/switch platforms you're just too biased and make excuses to not look like a corporate drone.

Console gamers of all different brands are suddenly "united" when they're against PC gamers but will immediately go back to crapping on each other when PC isn't involved and heck some of them are very contradictory. Like a PS4 fanboy will trash PC gaming and say how consoles are superior, no one plays on PC and consoles make more money but when against Xbox they have no problem using PC gaming against Xbox mainly for when they want to exclude many Xbox One exclusives as possible since they're PC but will also flip it when it suits them to brag about "playstation console" exclusive stuff like Shenmue 3 and Street Fighter 5.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud_imperium

@NoodleFighter said:

How about stop playing the victim card, I see it all the time there are horrible fans on all platforms at least when it comes to internet discussions. Do they honestly think PC gamers are shouting master race and all that nonsense about console gamers while playing games? Console gamers play the victim card a lot especially. They complain about PC gamers arrogance when talking about PC vs Console gaming when most of the time PC gamers can back up what they say with facts. They seem think PC gamers stating facts equals arrogance. I see consolites shout things like PC nerds, dying platform, no games etc etc but if PC gamer ever replies and hits them with facts its the immediate victim card and how terrible PC gamers are so they'll never play on PC.

The truth is you'll never try/switch platforms you're just too biased and make excuses to not look like a corporate drone.

Console gamers of all different brands are suddenly "united" when they're against PC gamers but will immediately go back to crapping on each other when PC isn't involved and heck some of them are very contradictory. Like a PS4 fanboy will trash PC gaming and say how consoles are superior, no one plays on PC and consoles make more money but when against Xbox they have no problem using PC gaming against Xbox mainly for when they want to exclude many Xbox One exclusives as possible since they're PC but will also flip it when it suits them to brag about "playstation console" exclusive stuff like Shenmue 3 and Street Fighter 5.

+1

@Motokid6 said:

Yea I've been here over a decade and console gamers are BY FAR the most adamant trolls and fanboys.

I've said it many times before I'll probably continue to say it. PC gamers can truly be dicks, but the thing is 9/10 they are correct dicks. PC gamers can back up what they preach.

Console gamers on the other hand cannot back up what they say. They abandon there own threads. They are incredible hypocrites as NoodleFighter stated above. They very quickly take the discussion out of the hobby. They will attempt to insult your social status or sexuality despite that having nothing to do with gaming.

And on the off chance... May attempt to kill you or threaten to do so.

But no. Because PC gamers are dicks and argue about GAMING... There the worst. By far.

Not to mention, if you talk about demanding more from your games, then you suck at social life.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

On System Wars, both console and PC gamers are obviously dicks. Everyone is, here!

In real life, only PC gamers are dicks. Just my experience, and not all of them, obviously. But a fair number. Console gamers are just "lets have fun", PC gamers are like "here is why your fun is WRONG"

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I had an avatar of my fiance and me....somehow...that ended up a HUGE problem with several hermits here.

On the Steam forums...any console thread is immediately derailed by a few PC gamers that can't get their heads our of their asses. That said....the Steam forums have always been a pretty cool place with some pretty cool PC gamers.

Hermits are the worst. I think it's b/c they're very defensive of their platform....too defensive.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@chronogos said:

Would more gamers adopt PC gaming if getting into it were easier?

Costs aside, a major reason some gamers stay away from PC gaming, is simply because how hostile its fanbase/the master race can be.

When I was younger, I wanted to get into PC gaming but dared not to because whenever I asked a "newb" type question, I was treated like I was a complete moron.

Of course, now that I know a lot more about computer than I did back then, my PC is now my favorite gaming platform. But that's only because I learned how to do so myself.

Master race jokes towards peasants can be quite funny, however, they go to show what the PC community is (largely) like. If you truly want to help someone enjoy the superior gaming experience, the last thing you want to do is make fun of them. Yes, it is annoying when you have to explain what an SSD is and why it's better than a 7200 RPM HDD, but everyone has to start from somewhere! Some people don't even know how to take a screenshot on a PC, but that's the fun of it! Sharing your passions with someone else is a very rewarding experience!

So my question is, would more gamers venture into the world of PC gaming if the community weren't so hostile towards newbs?

So,it's solely based on your unique experience?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@mr_huggles_dog: But Hermits will keep the argument relative to the hobby. Why can't consolites here do that? Why do nearly all console gamers here quickly ( if not immediately ) resort to personal attacks? Why are they so quick to abandon there own threads? And why do consolites attack each other so viciously then when PC comes in there all of a sudden one?

Answer at least a few of those please.

If hermits keep things on topic...why was my avatar of my fiance and I kissing the subject of a huge problem?

I've been personally attacked my hermit after hermit.

The hermits took the avatar thing to new heights. if they stayed on topic....the several wouldn't have made my avatar a big deal.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

If the community is enough to deter your enjoyment of a platform.,then you should probably stay away from the internet in general or just grow a thicker skin.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

Some people just prefer consoles. It's not a mystery. Why are PC gamers so insecure about that?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I had an avatar of my fiance and me....somehow...that ended up a HUGE problem with several hermits here.

On the Steam forums...any console thread is immediately derailed by a few PC gamers that can't get their heads our of their asses. That said....the Steam forums have always been a pretty cool place with some pretty cool PC gamers.

Hermits are the worst. I think it's b/c they're very defensive of their platform....too defensive.

Based on interactions here, I would actually say console fanboys are the worst

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

Hostile gamers are everywhere... Welcome to the internet.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

How about 500 posts

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lostrib

@jhonMalcovich said:

How about 500 posts

look at the stickies

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lostrib

however, this seems like more of a fanboy wars thread than a system wars thread

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jhonMalcovich

@lostrib said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

How about 500 posts

look at the stickies

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's the community that new comers are afraid of, and with good reason most of the time. Same thing can be said about console gaming and their online communities as well, most people who are new get repulsed by the behavior of the gamers.

So basically, most gamers live up to their stereo types, sadly enough.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

not sure if that's true for PC, but could definitely agree my biggest turnoff of the PlayStation brand is its fanboys

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

On the Steam forums...any console thread is immediately derailed by a few PC gamers that can't get their heads our of their asses.

Also known as trolls. Trolls aren't platform-specific. They're just... trolls.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jhonMalcovich

I have never seen PC gamers bashing newbs unless those newbs were trying indirectly to bash pc gaming hiding behind "asking for help".

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

It's cause we can't fathom peasants stupidity.

Seriously though this whole Master Race thing is a joke taken out of context, it was actually meant to make fun of PC gaming as pc games tend to be unintuitive and overly complex as possible but somehow people managed to turn it around use it as this obnoxious way of justifying their investment on this plastic box or something

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

The PC gamers on SW are absolute dicks for the most part (though some are not). Out there in the real world if you need help with anything PC related or PC gaming related you will always get it from PC gamers. On the net too, people bend over backwards to help people with PC issues whether you're buidling a PC or just need advice on anything PC related including games.

Ignore SW PC gamers specially God Jank or Mbirdy absolute fuckwits and probably just trolls who don't even own a PC.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#47  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

Console gamers are by far the worst. First off, you are bragging about an inferior platform. You are not getting the best experience. As a gamer, you should strive for the best. Also, you limit yourself to one console while making fun of the other console which is very similar and has good exclusives you should be playing. The funniest of all is when console peasants talk about resolution and framerate. If you truly care about that stuff, you should game on PC.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@BassMan said:

Console gamers are by far the worst. First off, you are bragging about an inferior platform. You are not getting the best experience. As a gamer, you should strive for the best. Also, you limit yourself to one console while making fun of the other console which is very similar and has good exclusives you should be playing. The funniest of all is when console peasants talk about resolution and framerate. If you truly care about that stuff, you should game on PC.

I agree with the resolution part, but what if someone doesn't have enough cash to "strive for the best"?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#50 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:
@BassMan said:

I agree with the resolution part, but what if someone doesn't have enough cash to "strive for the best"?

Then they should buy a cheap PC. Or if they must have a console, not brag about it because it is just silly.