Gamepro's top 26 RPG's of all time

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

I'm glad Skies of Arcadia is on that list. That game is so underrated.sammyjenkis898

Yes it is.

FFVII is a good game, but the reason why everyone hypes it so much is because

A. It was the first RPG to be really mainstream

B. It's many's first RPG because of this

C. It was the first RPG that REALLY took advantage of CD's.

There are many RPG's though that are better the FFVII. True RPG players at the time would argue PZ Saga was the better game. LEts not forget the first Grandia too came out that time on the Saturn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
hayato_
final fantasy 6 >>>>>>> final fantasy 7. :P
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

Sup with all the hate on Final Fantasy VII. The game was a masterpiece. One of the best to come out though 1996 or 97 I can't remember. If it wasn;t for the game, serioully doubt the RPG or JRPG genre for that matter would be as popular as it is. Every character has written so well that they all could have had their own game. The story as well. I played tons of RPGs and WRPGs, but none to make an impact such as FF VII. Star Ocean: The second story and Valkyrie Profile got close back in my early teens.

Definitly derserves number one. I think people just like to hate on it for fun.:P

(Id like to see someone elses list, so I can say how bad it it is if yor number 1 or whatever number doesn't agree with mine give me a break jeez) ;)

st1ka

if i made an rpg list my first step would be to make it a JRPG or WRPG only list rather then mixing two genres that have little to do with each other

that was gamepro's first mistake

Lots of games could be classiflied in the RPG mix imo. Take Zone of the Enders for instance and Zelda. If your gonna go by that, then I don't think WRPGs should be in there (Some are deabtable for that matter IMO).

What is the definition of a Role Playing Game? They span across the board its just that divserse.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="hayato_"]Jandurin

I'll raise you:P

FF VII/ FF X >>> FF IV>>FF VIII>>> FF VI

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="hayato_"]

Sup with all the hate on Final Fantasy VII. The game was a masterpiece. One of the best to come out though 1996 or 97 I can't remember. If it wasn;t for the game, serioully doubt the RPG or JRPG genre for that matter would be as popular as it is. Every character has written so well that they all could have had their own game. The story as well. I played tons of RPGs and WRPGs, but none to make an impact such as FF VII. Star Ocean: The second story and Valkyrie Profile got close back in my early teens.

Definitly derserves number one. I think people just like to hate on it for fun.:P

(Id like to see someone elses list, so I can say how bad it it is if yor number 1 or whatever number doesn't agree with mine give me a break jeez) ;)

hayato_

if i made an rpg list my first step would be to make it a JRPG or WRPG only list rather then mixing two genres that have little to do with each other

that was gamepro's first mistake

Lots of games could be classiflied in the RPG mix imo. Take Zone of the Enders for instance and Zelda. If your gonna go by that, then I don't think WRPGs should be in there (Some are deabtable for that matter IMO).

What is the definition of a Role Playing Game? They span across the board its just that divserse.

zone of enders is not an RPG, that´s like saying gears of war is a racing game because you have a driving section

Legend of zelda is an adventure game not an RPG

RPGs are games that give you the ability to roleplay a character, with that being said many people (such as myself) don't think JRPGs are rpgs, we just call them so to avoid unecessary arguements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="hayato_"]hayato_

:x FFVI >> FFIX > FFIV > FFVII > FFV >>>>> FFX I never played 8 or 12.
Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="hayato_"]Jandurin

:x FFVI >> FFIX > FFIV > FFVII > FFV >>>>> FFX I never played 8 or 12.

You have to! FF8 is my fav FF game, followed by Tactics and FF9.

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts
Oblivion rated higher than Maldurs Gate 2 makes this list fail, and now the people who wrote it should go kill themselves because the same of that is too great to bear and it makes me angry.
Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#109 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

Did I somehow miss some huge revolution here in system wars? I swear FF7 was held in high regard by almost everyone on this forum, but after reading so many people's responses to the list I can see that isn't the case.

I personally would have put chrono cross at #1 but that's just me.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]most people would agree that FF7 is the best RPG....with Chrono Cross and FF3 and FF8 and so many others...ArisShadows

No they wouldn't

And link, tc?

Indeed. I regard KOTOR as the greatest RPG of all time, and I know that opinion is shared by many. So FF7 being greatest isn't universal.

And WTF is up with the Zelda games being on that list?? :? :?

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts

Ocarina of time isnt an RPG.

These people make me angery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
AdobeArtist
KotOR is lame >_> :P

I personally would have put chrono cross at #1 but that's just me.

creeping-deth87
Chrono Trigger, sure :o Chrono Cross was very good, imo, but not the best RPG by any rubric.

You have to! FF8 is my fav FF game, followed by Tactics and FF9.

Blommen
I dunno... the draw system scares and confuses me.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
FFVII the number one RPG of all time? Either Gaempro's trying to appeal to the fanboys, or they've also fallen into the trap of nostalgia...
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Verge_6

KotOR is lame >_> :PJandurin

I will have to kill you now. Slowly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] KotOR is lame >_> :PVerge_6

Haha. It's not my fault BioWare has brainwashed you people >_>
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
They need to switch FFXII with FFX. Glad to see Deus Ex there though
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44260 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] KotOR is lame >_> :PVerge_6

Happy to help on this one, here, you can borror this for a nice slow death. :twisted:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

SecretPolice
:lol: not a spoon? Spoons hurt more :o
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#119 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Yeah, once I saw that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl(two of the worst entires in the series) make it into the list I could no longer take the list seriously.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] KotOR is lame >_> :PSecretPolice

Happy to help on this one, here, you can borror this for a nice slow death. :twisted:

No no, allow ME :twisted:

*force chokes Jandurin, taking my time*

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#121 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

if rogue galaxy,persona 3 fes,and final fabtasy 10 or 12 is not oon that list I am not reading.Iceman2911

All of them ate on the list except Rogoue Galaxy, but why would it be on the list?

It was good, but deffinatly not best RPG material.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#122 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Oh what the crap, Suikoden 3 made it on there but not Suikoden 2? Suikoden 2 is LIGHT YEARS better than Suikoden 3. Suikoden 3 is a final fantasy clone peice of crap compared to S2. You can easily tell the list was made by a Square fanboy.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
What a completely horrible list!
audioaxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 audioaxes
Member since 2004 • 1570 Posts
lol no secret of mana
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#125 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I wouldn't be looking at Gamepro for the most well based "best ***** list". Just looking at the FPS one also, I was annoyed at this statement,

"The controls, graphics, sound, and online modes were all hugely influential -- this is another series that played a key role in the creation of Halo."

Why are they trying to label Halo as some holy coveted game? Oh and speaking of which, Halo 3 in the top 10? Before anyone flames me, I'll just simply say the Halo series is overrated. By no means are they terrible games at all, it's just the way people talk of how great it is, is severely overrated. Oh and where's the original Half-Life?

Mystic_Legend

The fps list was even worst than the rpg list. Where is ut2k4? battlefield 2? half life 1?

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

If you read the game descriptions on the list you can see that they dont know what they're talking about at all.

They said that FF12 was the peak of storytelling in the FF series even though a good portion of the fanbase found it bland and even those who did enjoy it still admit the pacing was awful. Then they went on to say FF12 introduced the ATB battle system and Im pretty sure thats been around since FF4. 12 introduced the ADB system.

The descriptions for most of the games on the list had major flaws, but those are the ones that really stuck out to me.

Not to mention only about 5 games on the list even deserve to be there.

Avatar image for kid_who_grew_up
kid_who_grew_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 kid_who_grew_up
Member since 2008 • 450 Posts
No surprise here, But if Zelda is a RPG? Why isn't shenmue on the list? IMO Shenmue should be in top 20. Mass Effect Should be a little higher up in the cat, But I mostly agree.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Verge_6
After reading the whole article, I am of the opinion that Gamepro should be wiped off the face of the earth. They were already a joke in the gaming world to begin with, but this list alone warrants eternal damnation. FFXII having the deepest FF story? lol, wut? I think the tool(s) that wrote this didn't even play the damn games that comprised it, and just looked at the message boards and wrote down what the raving fanboys of each respective game had to say about it.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

OMG at all the games above Skies of Arcadia, BLASPHEMY. SoA should be a heck of a lot higher than that.

And Dragon Quest VIII should definitly be on there. Pokemon better than DQVIII & SoA lololololol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

OMG at all the games above Skies of Arcadia, BLASPHEMY. SoA should be a heck of a lot higher than that.

And Dragon Quest VIII should definitly be on there. Pokemon better than DQVIII & SoA lololololol.

laus_basic
Dragon Quest VIII was great, but I got scared of its depth and ran away like a little girl after about 10 hours :(
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#131 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
That list is full of fail. I used to subscribe to gamePro back in the Playstation 1 days and it is sad to see how far they have fallen.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#133 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

I guess what we've learned is that everyone has a different taste.

Alas.

All I care about is Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, Persona 3, Jade Cacoon, and a few others.

Oh, Shadow Hearts. You got to be down with Shadow Hearts. The only game I know of where to upgrade your weapons you need to have a gay guy fondle you. And the only game where monsters waggle their phallus at you in an attack. That game was absurd to the Nth degree. And awesome.

Oh, what else. I never did like Xensaga but I loved Xeno Gears.

And Thousand Arms. Dude, any game where flirting is a primary game mechanic totally wins.

I like Wild Arms 3. It had gunfights on horseback. HORSEBACK. Holy @#$%!

I like most of the Final Fantasy games. I loved eight and ten more than seven but still loved seven (but it was never the second coming of christ for me unlike for some people).

La Pucelle Tactics. . . Mana Khemia. . Ar Tonelico. Okay. Anything Atlus or Nippon Ichi I just die for.

AncientDozer

Everyone may have different tastes but it seems that there is a general concensus that this list is flawed. Most users here may like different games but they all seem to agree that most of those games don't belong on that list.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

KOTOR need be moar higher :(

And why is Zelda there...

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts
[QUOTE="laus_basic"]

Jandurin

Dragon Quest VIII was great, but I got scared of its depth and ran away like a little girl after about 10 hours :(

So that's like 1/8 of the game. That's too bad, you missed a lot of good stuff..

Only bad thing for me about DQVIII was the random battles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="laus_basic"]

laus_basic

So that's like 1/8 of the game. That's too bad, you missed a lot of good stuff..

Only bad thing for me about DQVIII was the random battles.

Eh, I'll beat it some day. I stopped at a place where I could remember what was going on. I just had too many other games right at that moment.
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
We all realize this is Gamepro right?? When was the last time they were credible, yearly 90's????
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

I have not seen a list so atrocious in my lifetime. They picked FFVII as their number one RPG of all time. This game to me is comparable to Battle Arena Toshinden. All glamour and glitz but no real substance. Real games stand the test of time but FFVII did not for me anyways. Another problem I had with the list is the fact that they had Legend of Zelda a link to the past and Ocarina of time in their picks when a true gamer knows these games are not even RPG's at all. The list was all over the place and one of my favorite RPG's which was Panzer Dragoon Saga, did not make the list. Dragon Quest was another series that did not make the list either if I recall correctly. Sorry for not adding a link to the page so I guess you guys will just have to find it yourselves. LOLpoptart28

I agree with their #1. It ismy favorite game of all time.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

KOTOR need be moar higher :(

And why is Zelda there...

angelkimne

Personally, I liked Knights of the Old Republic better than Baldur's Gate 2, but you're delusional if you think it's a better crafted game.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
We should make up our own list and have it posted on gamespot. It could be voted upon by us, the gamers.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#141 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

What a fail list. Putting FF7 as the number one is like putting Starcraft at number one on a strategy list, its the obvious, safest choice.

And Legend of Zelda? lol?

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#142 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Why Oblivion over Morrowinds? Why Fallout 3 over Falout 1 (or 2)? Why FFXII but no FFVI? I can only assume that this list was made by a 14 year old..