Gamepro's top 26 RPG's of all time

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Well honestly the list would fail regardless, simply because its a gamepro list.

Im still yet to see any form of redeemable quality from them.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]The fact they gave ff7 number 1 shows the list is crap.Koalakommander

It's not even a contender for #1? Geez, give us your list.

Final fantasy 7 isn't even in my top 50 let alone top 26.

ff7 for me is the lowest point of the final fantasy series because its the begining of the end for the series in my eyes nearly every game after has blown badly for me.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Final fantasy 7 isn't even in my top 50 let alone top 26.

ff7 for me is the lowest point of the final fantasy series because its the begining of the end for the series in my eyes nearly every game after has blown badly for me.

WilliamRLBaker

I agree with you except for me the lowest point of the series was FF VIII, but to be honest FF VII was low enough.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
No Fallout 1 or 2? The list fails.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Well honestly the list would fail regardless, simply because its a gamepro list.

Im still yet to see any form of redeemable quality from them.

skrat_01

I was about to say the same thing.

I don't know why people are caring about what GamePro thinks.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
who gives these people jobs?beenieman40k

The same people who think FF7 is the best RPG ever made. You know, people that havn't been gaming any longer the PS1/N64 era.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
No FFIV or VI...? Both of those deserve to be on tha tlist more than FF7.
Also, FF7 the first game to show RPGs don't need to be in medievil times? Are they serious?
Wasteland:
treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

FFVII is a great game and one of my favorite FFs, but surely it doesn't deserve #1.

FFVII is extremely popular because it was the first console RPG to appeal to the masses and it was a technical powerhouse for its time. Most long time FF fans that I know would argue that 4 and 6 are both better than 7. Of course you cant argue with the hordes of Cloud/Sephiroth fanboys who had their first RPG experience with 7. Kind of sad really as there are so many better RPGs that came both before and after 7.

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

I love FF7, but I wouldn't put it on the number 1 RPG of all time.

[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

Man, hermits here have made me really want the original Fallouts. But the pack that you can get them in online doesn't work with Vista.

For 19 bucks I'm willing to try both the first Fallout game and Tactics.
Is there are way to get it to work on Vista?

Planeforger

You can get the three games for $18 US off gog.com, and they claim to be Vista compatible.

I got Fallout 2 from them and had no major problems running it under Vista.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts

People should just stop reading these lists. They are never accurate, not even close, and they often end up insulting gamers.

Also Planescape Torment #22 :roll:

Franky-the-bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Franky-the-bat
Member since 2006 • 977 Posts

I personally would of put BOF and FF tactics in that list.

Also FF VII was and still is a masterpiece, if you like it or not.
treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 treelog82

Also FF VII was and still is a masterpiece, if you like it or not.Franky-the-bat

FFVII is a great game, but not the best RPG of all time according to most long time RPG fans and not even the best FF according to most FF fans.

Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I've been gaming since Commodore 64 days and I'd say FFVII is my favourite RPG. It's not a popular opinion but there you go.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Salt_The_Fries
I've been gaming since Commodore 64 days and I'd say FFVII is my favourite RPG. It's not a popular opinion but there you go.LightReflection
Same except FFVII part.
Franky-the-bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Franky-the-bat
[QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"]

Also FF VII was and still is a masterpiece, if you like it or not.treelog82

FFVII is a great game, but not the best RPG of all time according to most long time RPG fans and not even the best FF according to most FF fans.

I never said it was the greatest RPG of all time, but imo its still a masterpiece, I haven't played all the FF games, and probably wont so I cant say for sure if its the best in the series or not.

The hate is ridiculous for this game though, it's still an incredible game no matter what anyone here says.

I'm sure more people would have been happy if it was CT or FF VI at no.1, but having played and beat both I don't agree with that.
Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts
if rogue galaxy,persona 3 fes,and final fabtasy 10 or 12 is not oon that list I am not reading.
madsmokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 madsmokey
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts
They win my vote =) Exellent list although i would put crono trigger at number 2
treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 treelog82
[QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"]

Also FF VII was and still is a masterpiece, if you like it or not.Franky-the-bat

I never said it was the greatest RPG of all time, but imo its still a masterpiece, I haven't played all the FF games, and probably wont so I cant say for sure if its the best in the series or not.

The hate is ridiculous for this game though, it's still an incredible game no matter what anyone here says.

I'm sure more people would have been happy if it was CT or FF VI at no.1, but having played and beat both I don't agree with that.

I understand there are people who hate FF7 simply because its popular. Im not one of those people and I think FF7 is a great game. FFVI is definitely one of my favorites of all time, but I dont even think it deserves the #1 spot. Now if CT was on top then I could be cool with that.

Of course its all opinion, but even though I consider FF7 a masterpiece as well, its still far outclassed by to many RPGs to even make the top 5.

Franky-the-bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Franky-the-bat

I can understand that, no matter how good is a game is your always going to get a group saying how overrated it is no matter what.

I'm just as bad, I hated Halo 2, never played it on multiplayer but the single player was dreadful IMO.

TruestGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TruestGamer
Member since 2008 • 294 Posts
It's a solid list, although for me it was Chrono Trigger or Xenogears that really blew me away. If only they made a next-gen version of Xenogears... :sigh:
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Salt_The_Fries

I can understand that, no matter how good is a game is your always going to get a group saying how overrated it is no matter what.

Franky-the-bat

Maybe because some people are outraged by how commercial phenomenon combined with ignorance of the past can contribute to some of the most cringe-worthy lists ever?

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
Pretty bad list. Not the worst list like halo 3,cod 4,and gears being the best game of all time list, but still pretty bad.
Franky-the-bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Franky-the-bat
[QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"]

Salt_The_Fries

Maybe because some people are outraged by how commercial phenomenon combined with ignorance of the past can contribute to some of the most cringe-worthy lists ever?

Insert your no.1 here to show us an example of this.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"][QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"]

Franky-the-bat

Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss. First FPP game with full 3D, predating pseudo-3D Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Released in March, 1992. You could run, jump, fly, and even swim in water, you had a fully 3-D environment. Best of all was the mouse movement, made moving smooth and easy. Ask yourself, when the mouse movement, I mean with being able to look up and down with a mouse became a standard? But it was a RPG game, despite being pioneer of 3D FPP view of the truest sense. It singlehandedly influenced another highly influential, overlooked and innovative FPP RPG hybrid - System Shock and THE ENTIRE Elder Scrolls Series: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion. Quite a feat, if you ask me.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 treelog82
[QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"][QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"][QUOTE="Franky-the-bat"]

Salt_The_Fries

Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss. First FPP game with full 3D, predating pseudo-3D Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Released in March, 1992. You could run, jump, fly, and even swim in water, you had a fully 3-D environment. Best of all was the mouse movement, made moving smooth and easy. Ask yourself, when the mouse movement, I mean with being able to look up and down with a mouse became a standard? But it was a RPG game, despite being pioneer of 3D FPP view of the truest sense. It singlehandedly influenced another highly influential, overlooked and innovative FPP RPG hybrid - System Shock and THE ENTIRE Elder Scrolls Series: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion. Quite a feat, if you ask me.

Well this list wasn't supposed to be the most influential RPGs of all time either. I haven't played Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss, but do you really find that it outdoes other RPGs in terms of gameplay and story? Graphics don't matter when determining a great RPG, but gameplay and story do. All you listed is a bunch of things that were innovative at the time that are commonplace now. Many RPGs today follow off the blue print that FFIV established, but that doesn't mean FFIV is the greatest RPG because of that.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

treelog82

Well this list wasn't supposed to be the most influential RPGs of all time either. I haven't played Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss, but do you really find that it outdoes other RPGs in terms of gameplay and story? Graphics don't matter when determining a great RPG, but gameplay and story do. All you listed is a bunch of things that were innovative at the time that are commonplace now. Many RPGs today follow off the blue print that FFIV established, but that doesn't mean FFIV is the greatest RPG because of that.

Your talking about a ultima game, most them had very good stories and gameplay for there time, heck most aspects of rpgs today are still influenced by those games.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]most people would agree that FF7 is the best RPG....with Chrono Cross and FF3 and FF8 and so many others...ArisShadows

No they wouldn't

And link, tc?

FF7 pretty much was the apex on the chart.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 treelog82
[QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

Zenkuso

Your talking about a ultima game, most them had very good stories and gameplay for there time, heck most aspects of rpgs today are still influenced by those games.

Yeah thats kind of what Im asking here. Does he still think the gameplay and stories hold up today? Like I said before the list isnt for most influential RPGs of all time.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#80 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
No Final Fantasy Tactics.... BOO!!
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Salt_The_Fries
Story and gameplay are subjective matters but technological and ideological innovations - not. But Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss in my opinion stood the test of time, and System Shock who runs heavily modified Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss engine and with the same lead designer - Doug Church at helm also. Overall, Ultima Underworld: Stygian abyss had: commercial acclaim at the time, technical and ideological innovations uncommon at the time and predating the game industry by at least few years, plus commercial flop, but my blessing. Make what you want out of it.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I'm sorry but that's a pethetic list..
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
why are FF12 and Mass Effect on this list :( Oh god, and Fallout 3 :lol: I wonder if it's any good. And where's mah Final Fantasy 6 :x They rated it pretty highly back in the day. I remember when I read the score for FF3 (VI) in the magazine, I was like, woot!
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
Zelda is not a freaking RPG series. It action adventure. I can't believe people still think it a RPG. And Gold & Sliver and FFX so be there instead FFXII and D&P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Zelda is not a freaking RPG series. It action adventure. I can't believe people still think it a RPG. And Gold & Sliver and FFX so be there instead FFXII and D&P.Wanderer5
FFX shouldn't be on there.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]Zelda is not a freaking RPG series. It action adventure. I can't believe people still think it a RPG. And Gold & Sliver and FFX so be there instead FFXII and D&P.Jandurin
FFX shouldn't be on there.

FFXII shouldn't be there either. I rather have FFX up there then FFXII.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

FFXII shouldn't be there either. I rather have FFX up there then FFXII.

Wanderer5
I'd rather neither. :P Or FF6 >_> It's like they just took the last 3 years of RPGs and put them into a hat. Then drew them out 1 by 1.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
[QUOTE="Zenkuso"][QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

treelog82

Yeah thats kind of what Im asking here. Does he still think the gameplay and stories hold up today? Like I said before the list isnt for most influential RPGs of all time.

I'd say yes they still hold up by todays standards, many people are still playing the ultima games even as they've shifted into abandonware, the classics die hard but ultima as a bigger cult following then most niche titles released on todays market.

So they've got to have done something right.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

I hate it when people call Zelda an RPG series.

Final Fantasy VII isn't even close to being the best RPG. After a while I just wanted to murder Cloud in his sleep.

Hippostrike
Zelda is more RPG than other action adventures. I'm not too picky.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
terrible terrible list
SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

It's funny to see so many people get riled up over this list.

I didn't really think it was that bad, but, then again, I haven't played a lot of the games on that list. I would really like to, though.

Still, it's annoying to see so many people **** whine and complain about how the list is so wrong and they're right, and anyone who thinks similair to the list "must not have played much RPG's". Seriously, I hate elitism, and SW is full of it.

Gamepro can say whatever the hell they want, but no one can tell them they're wrong. I'm sure they don't expect anyone to take their list as fact.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Gamepro can say whatever the hell they want, but no one can tell them they're wrong.

SSJ_Nega
Watch me: Gamepro am wrong.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 st1ka

Gamepro can say whatever the hell they want, but no one can tell them they're wrong. I'm sure they don't expect anyone to take their list as fact.

SSJ_Nega

gamepro´s opinion in this list is like someone saying "i thought bloodrayne the movie was better then the dark knight"

oh sure they can have their opinions... doesn't stop me from laughing in their face though

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts
[QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"]

Gamepro can say whatever the hell they want, but no one can tell them they're wrong.

Jandurin

You better watch out... Gamepro know where you live.:x

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#95 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

All these best list of all time suck and deserve a /facepalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"]

SSJ_Nega

No they don't :x I moved since I last subscribed to their magazine. :P
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 st1ka
[QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"]

Jandurin

No they don't :x I moved since I last subscribed to their magazine. :P

you know you could get arrested for that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

you know you could get arrested for that

st1ka
Back during the SNES days, they were way better than EGM >_>
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Sup with all the hate on Final Fantasy VII. The game was a masterpiece. One of the best to come out though 1996 or 97 I can't remember. If it wasn;t for the game, serioully doubt the RPG or JRPG genre for that matter would be as popular as it is. Every character has written so well that they all could have had their own game. The story as well. I played tons of RPGs and WRPGs, but none to make an impact such as FF VII. Star Ocean: The second story and Valkyrie Profile got close back in my early teens.

Definitly derserves number one. I think people just like to hate on it for fun.:P

(Id like to see someone elses list, so I can say how bad it it is if yor number 1 or whatever number doesn't agree with mine give me a break jeez) ;)

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 st1ka

Sup with all the hate on Final Fantasy VII. The game was a masterpiece. One of the best to come out though 1996 or 97 I can't remember. If it wasn;t for the game, serioully doubt the RPG or JRPG genre for that matter would be as popular as it is. Every character has written so well that they all could have had their own game. The story as well. I played tons of RPGs and WRPGs, but none to make an impact such as FF VII. Star Ocean: The second story and Valkyrie Profile got close back in my early teens.

Definitly derserves number one. I think people just like to hate on it for fun.:P

(Id like to see someone elses list, so I can say how bad it it is if yor number 1 or whatever number doesn't agree with mine give me a break jeez) ;)

hayato_

if i made an rpg list my first step would be to make it a JRPG or WRPG only list rather then mixing two genres that have little to do with each other

that was gamepro's first mistake