Final Fantasy IX coming to PlayStation Store soon!

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#151 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14926 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]fighting God or religionhakanakumono

It sounds like you don't have a very good understanding of Xenogears.

Anyways, humans rising up against powerful oppressive forces is an archetype held by many stories. As for fighting Gods or religion specifically, no it wasn't very common in JRPGs. The only game I can think of was fighting YHWH in one of the original Megaten games (which I only know about because I read about the series). But Xenogears isn't about "fighting God or religion," and anyone who claims this probably doesn't have a very good understanding of the game. Furthermore, sometimes it's how things are handled that set them apart.

One of the Final Fantasy Legend games, forgot which one...Breath of Fire II and FF Tactics come to mind...its now cliched in JRPGs to have a religious bad guy, with FFXIII being the latest. They main not be the main theme, but they are predominately featured. "Anyways, humans rising up against powerful oppressive forces is an archetype held by many stories" archetype "Religion or a God like figure being the antagonist" cliche

Simply put....Xenogears is a good game, but the flaws keep it from greatness. It was unfinished plain and simple and unfinished games like KOTOR II and Fallout 2 didn't reach their full potential because they were unfinished. Xenogears is the same way. Plus, the story feels forced, especially with all the symbolism. Yes, it is convoluted and it is known to be. Then there is the disc 2 pacing dropoff.

Suikoden II, FF Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, FFIX, Legend of Mana (with its flaws), and Vagrant Story are all better PSRPGs than Xenogears.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]fighting God or religiontexasgoldrush

Anyways, humans rising up against powerful oppressive forces is an archetype held by many stories. As for fighting Gods or religion specifically, no it wasn't very common in JRPGs. The only game I can think of was fighting YHWH in one of the original Megaten games (which I only know about because I read about the series). But Xenogears isn't about "fighting God or religion," and anyone who claims this probably doesn't have a very good understanding of the game. Furthermore, sometimes it's how things are handled that set them apart.

One of the Final Fantasy Legend games, forgot which one...Breath of Fire II and FF Tactics come to mind...its now cliched in JRPGs to have a religious bad guy, with FFXIII being the latest. They main not be the main theme, but they are predominately featured. "Anyways, humans rising up against powerful oppressive forces is an archetype held by many stories" archetype "Religion or a God like figure being the antagonist" cliche

Simply put....Xenogears is a good game, but the flaws keep it from greatness. It was unfinished plain and simple and unfinished games like KOTOR II and Fallout 2 didn't reach their full potential because they were unfinished. Xenogears is the same way. Plus, the story feels forced, especially with all the symbolism. Yes, it is convoluted and it is known to be. Then there is the disc 2 pacing dropoff.

Suikoden II, FF Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, FFIX, Legend of Mana (with its flaws), and Vagrant Story are all better PSRPGs than Xenogears.

God isn't a villain in FF Tactics. I thought you liked that game?

No that's an archetype. You're just calling it a cliche because you don't understand what a cliche is. Anyways, (young) Japanese are typically suspicious of organized religion and that's why we see religious entities present in JRPGs. Religions that are based upon the western brand of Christianity, particularly catholocism come across as particularly exotic which is why we see that influence JRPGs. It has nothing to do with cliche's, it has more to do with modern culture's perception of religion. The games that we play now are culturally relevant.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. :roll: Meanwhile, Xenogears is a far better game than Suikoden II.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

No that's an archetype. You're just calling it a cliche because you don't understand what a cliche is. Anyways, (young) Japanese are typically suspicious of organized religion and that's why we see religious entities present in JRPGs. Religions that are based upon the western brand of Christianity, particularly catholocism come across as particularly exotic which is why we see that influence JRPGs. It has nothing to do with cliche's, it has more to do with modern culture's perception of religion. The games that we play now are culturally relevant.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. :roll: Meanwhile, Xenogears is a far better game than Suikoden II.

Looks like I'm going to have to help him out with this. Archetype[ahr-ki-tahyp]?noun, the original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form; prototype. Cliche[klee-shey,kli-]?noun, a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser,or strong as an ox.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="farnham"]

definately the best FF after Final Fantasy I, VI,VIIand VIII by far..

Rockman999

fixed.

Sorry mommas boy, you forgot an "I" on "VII", fixed. :P

Better a momma's boy than an insane god that gives the main party hope even after he destroyed everything. Fixed:P

mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#155 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
:D
Meowmixxvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#156 Meowmixxvi
Member since 2008 • 2243 Posts
x_x i just beat this game a couple days ago... i'll wait till next year to purchase this so i can try to get Excalibur 2 again. xD
ichiban30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 ichiban30
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts

Will buy.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#158 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

cool cool

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#159 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Nice, i would so buy this as soon as i can, still need to buy 7 and 8 from PSN.

VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts

I remember when every other person on these forums hated IX, now they love it... hmm.

Jackopeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Jackopeng
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

By far the best FF ever made.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

I said either god or religion...the church is a villain in FF Tactics. Its a cliche and has become one. The religious or godly antagonist has been overdone in the genre. Its not an archetype. it doesn't matter if it a culture's perspective on religion, the evil church or diety element is overdone, like the brooding loathing protagonist and the anime chick sidekick. A game that handles religion very well is Dragon Age, highlighting both the good and the bad of organized religion.

Xenogears is the deeper story, but Suikoden II's story is better told and breaks most of the genre's norms.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 texasgoldrush

By far the best FF ever made.

Jackopeng
I think VI, Tactics, and IV are better....but IX is really good. I think it is the most true to the spirit of FF however and I love how each of the characters are modeled of the FF1 classes. Especially Vivi.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I own this for ps1, bought it and have not opened the box, it is still sealed:D

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Not sure if anyone keep up with PSN charts but Final Fantasy VII ever since it was releaed on PSN last year on E3 the game been always the top selling game on there and Final Fantasy VIII comes close to second. now that we have FFVII and FFVIII it was a matter of time till FFIX gets annouced. Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto tweeted that more info on the downloadable version will be coming next week. yup now that FFIX is coming to PSN hopefully Sony and Square will release FFX and FFX-2 on 1 blu-ray with tropheis :D

Link

finalstar2007

:cry: About time!

Finally, more people will get to play this gem of a game. It's funny, charming and has excellent characters. Zidane,Garnet, Steiner, Vivi, Amarant, Freya, Quina... awesome party.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

well, i already own it but at least theyre releasing a good game for once on psn

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
Thats awesome news, shame it won't make it till europe till about 2011 though. Also i hope they do it so it actually works when transfered onto a PSP, FFVII had a few glitches but was still fine to play all the way through. FFVIII however constantly crashes/freezes at random so i can't progress in it, and my PSP is fully up to date because i heard that was a solution to fix it but it doesnt work :?
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

texasgoldrush

I said either god or religion...the church is a villain in FF Tactics. Its a cliche and has become one. The religious or godly antagonist has been overdone in the genre. Its not an archetype. it doesn't matter if it a culture's perspective on religion, the evil church or diety element is overdone, like the brooding loathing protagonist and the anime chick sidekick. A game that handles religion very well is Dragon Age, highlighting both the good and the bad of organized religion.

Xenogears is the deeper story, butSuikoden II's story is better told and breaks most of the genre's norms.

The way you described Suikoden 2's plot reminds me of Naruto, which isn't a good thing.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 hakanakumono

Suikoden II is the journey of a mute adolescent who watches as everyone around him fights a "war" through a series of Deus ex Machina, but he takes all of the credit for it.

Xenogears is the deeper story, but Suikoden II's story is better told and breaks most of the genre's norms.

texasgoldrush

So JRPGs aren't allowed to cover religion as a subject matter because otherwise they are cliche'd? Antagonistic religions and gods were hardly prevelant in the genre. On the other hand, prior to Suikoden II there were countless stories of rebels taking over kingdoms. The hilarious thing about all of this is that Xenogears is far less cliche'd than Suikoden II by a long shot. Especially by your standards. In Suikoden II there are countries which are antagonists. Therefore, it is terribly cliche'd. This is too easy.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 texasgoldrush

Suikoden II is the journey of a mute adolescent who watches as everyone around him fights a "war" through a series of Deus ex Machina, but he takes all of the credit for it.

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

hakanakumono

So JRPGs aren't allowed to cover religion as a subject matter because otherwise they are cliche'd? Antagonistic religions and gods were hardly prevelant in the genre. On the other hand, prior to Suikoden II there were countless stories of rebels taking over kingdoms. The hilarious thing about all of this is that Xenogears is far less cliche'd than Suikoden II by a long shot. Especially by your standards. In Suikoden II there are countries which are antagonists. Therefore, it is terribly cliche'd. This is too easy.

Suikoden II's war is country vs country, not evil empire vs rebels like the first game. and the protagonist country, Jowston, is not all good either and is paying for the sins of the past in multiple ways. In fact, most of the characters serving Highland can be considered good and honorable and many of the characters on Jowston's side are shady. This breaks cliche because instead of an evil country vs a good country, or an empire vs rebels, in the end, its two countries fighting for the same end, peace...through the annihilation of the other.

Funny you mention Xenogears...its a save the world from the bad guy plot. I think Krelian is a bright spot for Xenogears but it is cliche. So is the amnesic protagonist. While it has its twists and turns that are original, the plot itself is cliche.

As for this... "Suikoden II is the journey of a mute adolescent who watches as everyone around him fights a "war" through a series of Deus ex Machina, but he takes all of the credit for it."

Ever thought that that is a theme of a game...children fighting adult wars. The use of child soliders. The adults influence the protagonist. He is a figurehead and a symbol. A theme of the game is breaking free of these influences and to follow your own path...which the canon ending follows.This subverts the cliche of a youth hero...in many JRPGs featuring young protagonists, their youth is either celebrated or ignored...in Suikoden II, its put in a tragic light. Through moral choices, unlike most JRPGs, you and Nanami can leave the war early and end the game 4/5 of the way through. A silent protagonist works because he is like a WRPG character, you provide the dialouge and make decisions, while most are false choices, some big choices are not.

Deus ex machina my ass...........if you talk about Shu, he turns the war around but doesn't fix everything. In fact, he doesn't get full credit for solving the Luca Blight problem. Very few metaphysical aspects as well. Really this game avoids this.

So JRPGs aren't allowed to cover religion as a subject matter because otherwise they are cliche'd?

Because it has been done over and over. Here is a good uncliched way of handling religion....do not make them an antagonistic force, like Dragon Age Origins.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#171 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
I still have my Ps1 black CD four disc copy on a shelve right next to me, no gain no loss for me here
Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Best FF of all time imo, just so bad ass. Bahamut vs Alexander...the Invincible...and who can forget Vivi! Day one buy.
SonyFan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 SonyFan117
Member since 2010 • 121 Posts
Best final fantasy ever... WHEN IS IT COMING!? i seriously cant wait...
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Xenogears is the deeper story, butSuikoden II's story is better told and breaks most of the genre's norms.

The way you described Suikoden 2's plot reminds me of Naruto, which isn't a good thing.

I compare it to Ramza and Delita of FF Tactics, but there is some key differences. In fact, there is multiple endings depending on your choices. Really what happens is that in the beginning, you and Jowy escape a horrific false flag operation by Luca Blight in where his men dress up like the neighboring nations soliders to attack his own kingdoms youth brigade in order to rally the populace and his father, the king, into a war. In the remains of a village sacked by Luca Blight, who else, the two friends find two runes, the Bright Shield Rune (you) and the Black Sword Rune (Jowy). While the runes gave them great power, there is a ctach, the runebearers must one day come into conflict with eachother or they die. Nanami and 5 year old Pilika also play key roles in the story and motivate the boys. After a while, Jowy gets captured by Luca's men and they end up on opposite sides of the war. Thats the premise. [spoiler] Jowy is the main antagonist, not Luca Blight. He is far from evil however and I consider him a Hero Antagonist. Behind the bright colorful anime artwork, its a dark and tragic story...with themes covered like the use of children in war, the ethics of warfare and refugee issues, rape and children concived by rape, and many other issues [/spoiler]
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 hakanakumono

Funny you mention Xenogears...its a save the world from the bad guy plot.

texasgoldrush

Oh, okay. :roll: Praytell, who is the "bad guy" in Xenogears? Just for fun.

If Xenogears is cliche'd because the religion is portrayed in a negative way, then Suikoden II is cliche'd because an underdog is portrayed in a positive way.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I said either god or religion...the church is a villain in FF Tactics. Its a cliche and has become one. The religious or godly antagonist has been overdone in the genre. Its not an archetype. it doesn't matter if it a culture's perspective on religion, the evil church or diety element is overdone, like the brooding loathing protagonist and the anime chick sidekick. A game that handles religion very well is Dragon Age, highlighting both the good and the bad of organized religion.

texasgoldrush

I compare it to Ramza and Delita of FF Tactics, but there is some key differences. In fact, there is multiple endings depending on your choices. Really what happens is that in the beginning, you and Jowy escape a horrific false flag operation by Luca Blight in where his men dress up like the neighboring nations soliders to attack his own kingdoms youth brigade in order to rally the populace and his father, the king, into a war. In the remains of a village sacked by Luca Blight, who else, the two friends find two runes, the Bright Shield Rune (you) and the Black Sword Rune (Jowy). While the runes gave them great power, there is a ctach, the runebearers must one day come into conflict with eachother or they die. Nanami and 5 year old Pilika also play key roles in the story and motivate the boys. After a while, Jowy gets captured by Luca's men and they end up on opposite sides of the war. Thats the premise. [spoiler] Jowy is the main antagonist, not Luca Blight. He is far from evil however and I consider him a Hero Antagonist. Behind the bright colorful anime artwork, its a dark and tragic story...with themes covered like the use of children in war, the ethics of warfare and refugee issues, rape and children concived by rape, and many other issues [/spoiler]

All told with a disney lens!

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I said either god or religion...the church is a villain in FF Tactics. Its a cliche and has become one. The religious or godly antagonist has been overdone in the genre. Its not an archetype. it doesn't matter if it a culture's perspective on religion, the evil church or diety element is overdone, like the brooding loathing protagonist and the anime chick sidekick. A game that handles religion very well is Dragon Age, highlighting both the good and the bad of organized religion.

texasgoldrush

Okay since you explained the plot way thoroughly it doesn't sound as bad as Naruto. On the other hand I still can't comment on the overall story of course since I haven't played S2 and probably won't unless it is released on PSN.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 hakanakumono

It's no Naruto, but it's not nearly what he describes it as either.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Funny you mention Xenogears...its a save the world from the bad guy plot.

Oh, okay. :roll: Praytell, who is the "bad guy" in Xenogears? Just for fun.

If Xenogears is cliche'd because the religion is portrayed in a negative way, then Suikoden II is cliche'd because an underdog is portrayed in a positive way.

WRONG....buzzer sound [spoiler] The underdog, or Jowston, is actually portrayed as a bickering group of city states who have trouble supporting eachother, and some states refuse to do so until its to late after Muse is captured. Gorudo, of Matilda, is flat out tracherous as well. Many of their past crimes have come back to haunt them and thats how Lucia is fighting for Highland, as well as Jowston started the war the first time around with Highland (which leads the queen of Highland, Luca's mother, to being raped after Jowston attacked her caravan). Wonder why Luca wants to destroy Jowston. And Jowston's fractured nature is the very thing why Jowy wants to continue the war after Luca is killed, because Jowston would never have peace because of its fractured nature. He even cites the heated argument of the city state leaders early in the game. The mayor of Muse (before Anabelle) also had Genaku's weapon posioned in his deul with Highlands Han. But he choose to be honorable and not kill his friend. Some of the actions of Shu are morally questionable as well, such as using Pilika, the 5 year old girl, as a human shield. [/spoiler]