Final Fantasy 16 successful in attracting a younger audience to the franchise!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/final-fantasy-16-was-successful-in-attracting-younger-players-says-dlc-director/

Final Fantasy 16 has succeeded in attracting a younger audience to the series, according to DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka.

Prior to its release last year, Square Enix said it had decided not to include turn-based combat in the game with the goal of appealing to a wider market.

And Kujiraoka told Push Square that Final Fantasy 16’s action-based combat had helped the publisher achieve this goal to some degree.

“In recent years, players of the Final Fantasy series have tended to skew towards a higher age range,” he told Push Square. “However, this time there are survey results showing that more people in their teens and 20s played Final Fantasy 16.”

“I think this shows that, to a certain extent, we’ve achieved one of our initial goals – to have players of all ages play the latest Final Fantasy game.”

“This doesn’t mean that all future Final Fantasy games will take a similar direction to Final Fantasy 16,” Kujiraoka added, “but I do think it means that we’ve been able to bring new players on board and open new possibilities for the development teams that will work on future instalments in the series.”

Fantasy 16’s second story DLC, The Rising Tide, will be released on April 18. Priced at $19.99, it follows the game’s first expansion, Echoes of the Fallen, which arrived in December priced at $9.99 / £7.99.

Players can purchase the Final Fantasy 16 Expansion Pass, which includes access to both DLC packs, for $24.99 / £19.99.

That’s interesting that Final Fantasy fans tend to be older. But it makes sense, we grew up with these games at the height of their popularity. But the new FF games have been fantastic and it’s great to see the franchise make a comeback. Thoughts, SW? Are you a Final Fantasy fan these days? Do you prefer the more action game oriented gameplay of 16, or the hybrid model of FF7 Remake, or would you rather it completely go back to turn based only? I think the hybrid model is great.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

I’ve been a Final Fantasy fan since day one on the NES and still am. Loved the gameplay in both FFXVI and FFV Remake/Rebirth. Don’t know if I really have a preference to be honest. Hell I’d also love to see a new FF game to even be old school turn-based.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic

@Archangel3371 said:

I’ve been a Final Fantasy fan since day one on the NES and still am. Loved the gameplay in both FFXVI and FFV Remake/Rebirth. Don’t know if I really have a preference to be honest. Hell I’d also love to see a new FF game to even be old school turn-based.

When I think of turn based games in the modern era done right, I think Octopath Traveler 2 nails it. Absolutely loved that game. It’s a GOAT for me lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Really enjoyed the first game and would like to get the sequel in the very near future.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Archangel3371 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Really enjoyed the first game and would like to get the sequel in the very near future.

Did not play the original, but from what I read, the second one is much better.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Looks like the new generation enjoy FF16 as a pure movie game. FF16 is probably the easiest FF game to date. You don't even have to use your brain in battle. FF7R is a true successor.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5252 Posts

I really do not mind developers making their games appeal to a broader audience as long as they do not alienate long-time fans. History has some time and time again how games lose their original appeal when developers broaden their audience in a way that alienated long-time fans.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

FF16 was great but just felt so easy compared to FF7 Rebirth.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

are we pretending FF games have been hard at some point now lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

@howmakewood said:

are we pretending FF games have been hard at some point now lol

I don't think so. I think this mostly means that most kids these days have ADHD and needs their games to move at all times.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14900 Posts

As a trade off FFXVI chased away older fans, while FFVII R is the opposite, unable to get new fans.

The franchise is unable to truly expand the fanbase.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

FF16 was absolutely brilliant so I underatand why. my 4th favourite game of 2023 and best FF since FFX (23 years ago).