Final Fantasy 13 > All other Final Fantasys ??

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

I'm about 5 hours in and all I can say is WOW ... THE GRAPHICS !! and THE GAMEPLAY and THE STORY !! jeez after just playing Final Fantasy IV DS right before getting this it makes it seem sooo much better than I thought it would be ...

Why the hell do people hate on this game ?? does it have a bad ending or something ??

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Wait until your 10-20 hours in and the gameplay hasn't changed one bit. Then you'll realize what people say when it is far to linear.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

FF 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

all say no and the battle rages on for the best Final Fantasy.

ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

I'm really enjoying it as well. The only thing I don't like is how you can only control one character in battle.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

DId you play FFVII?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

There are better FF's, but it's still great.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

Wait until your 10-20 hours in and the gameplay hasn't changed one bit. Then you'll realize what people say when it is far to linear.

Wasdie
there is a BIG difference between 10 and 20 hours :|, and no. The game changes a lot throughout the first few hours. If you're talking about the level design then you are playing the game for the wrong reasons.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

Wasdie
Exactly and 9 is the best VIVI FTW
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

FFXIII is a good game but not one of the best FF titles. It suffers from to many design flaws to be considered on the greatest FF titles especially the pacing.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

The ONLY problem with it is its a good game, but not a great game...Like most other Final fantasies I just couldnt put the controller down...when I play 13, after an hour I am kinda like "hmm, maybe I should play some WoW...or maybe some God of war...or maybe" etc. Its just too damn easy to put down.

I am a few hours in and it basically goes like this...

Cutscene...fight, cutscene fight, cutscene fight...theres no RPG element to it SO far...all the save points are where I buy stuff? Are you serious?

So while its a GOOD game, its just not Great to me.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14926 Posts
This along with II and X-2 is the worst FF title.
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

DId you play FFVII?

ocidax

oh, you mean that highly overrated game that everyone thinks is god?

lmao

KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts
This along with II and X-2 is the worst FF title.texasgoldrush
FF II is beast how dare you !!
humber_matus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 humber_matus
Member since 2007 • 2101 Posts
its a different game ...
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Wasdie

Gameplay in most games stays relatively similar from start to finish. Were you expecting something different form this game?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]This along with II and X-2 is the worst FF title.KzJoe

the real FFII, not FFIV
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

DId you play FFVII?

ocidax

Yep and I like this one better overall.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Ehhhhh, no. It's not bad by any means but it's far outpaced by 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12. That would mean that FFXIII is worse then 7 of the 13 (We don't talk about X-2) FF's. Middling for the series really. Looks sweet, though. :D
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

So far from what I played

FF8>FF6>FF7>FF4 DS remake> FF9>FF10>FF13>FF11>FF12>FF3 DS remake

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="KzJoe"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]This along with II and X-2 is the worst FF title.texasgoldrush

the real FFII, not FFIV

I kinda liked FFII, it was too short though.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts
[QUOTE="ghost392"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Exactly and 9 is the best VIVI FTW

QTF vivi is the best FF character ever.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
I really enjoyed it, one of my favourite games this gen, but in my opinion it's definitely not the best FF
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I'm 6 hours into it...I honestly think it has the best battle system
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

I bet your one of those people that hates it when people tell ff8 sucks.....Which it does.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

dreman999

I bet your one of those people that hates it when people tell ff8 sucks.....Which it does.

Meh. Disagree, as I found FF8 to be one of my favourites. Wasn't the best though.

Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

Its a great game but lacks the elements needed to be one of the best FF's.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

dreman999

You forgot to add "In my opinion". I am also a fan of FFVIII lol. IMO FFTactics> FFVI>FFIX>FFXII>FFVIII (my top 5 Ff titles)

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

dreman999

No I dont different people got different taste and I know this but I like FF8 the most.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts
[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

No I dont different people got different taste and I know this but I like FF8 the most.

ff 8 is a great game I used to hate it then I understood the junction system and everything just felt right.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Actually,FFVIII is the best FF game I played so far. [spoiler] and I played them all ;) [/spoiler]
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I really like it. It's not the best but I would say it's certainly a welcome edition to the series though. Beat it today and entire time it was awesome. Best to me is still FFVII and yes I've played them all except for III.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

FF9 for me.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

No, not exactly... I found 9, 7 to be the far better games. I just started FF 8 properly, it's okay so far... I'm only playing this game for "Eyes On Me" so I don't expect much.

Trust me, you'd probably breeze through 13 till you reach Gran Pulse. Once you get here, if you don't grind, you're gonna have holy hell when you do the remaining story portions... I suggest you grind beforehand to avoid this OP. Atleast you get some variety.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It's hard to judge where it's place is in the series, because typically the games are judged more based on story than actual gameplay. It's almost like there should be two different lists.

As far as gameplay goes, I think FFXIII is the best so far, maybe rivaled by FFXII.

But with story as the priority, I think it would go something like 1. FFX 2. FFVIII 3. FFVII 4. FFIX 5. FFXIII

Ultimately the story is "good," but it needs to be fleshed out. The actually storytelling in FFVII isn't any better than FFXIII nor is it in FFIX, but their stories are much larger, more cohesive pictures. But idk. Maybe I'm being unfair. The good news is that the story is better than IV, V, VI imo.

Edit: Thinking more on it, I might rank FFIX above FFVII if I'm to do it objectively. FFIX and FFXIII are very similar storywise imo, so I have a sense of wanting to group them together, but another part of me just seems to think that FFIX tells a more substantial story (lit. there's more).

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts

lundy86_4

Meh. Disagree, as I found FF8 to be one of my favourites. Wasn't the best though.

Which was 9 correct? :D

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts

It's hard to judge where it's place is in the series, because typically the games are judged more based on story than actual gameplay. It's almost like there should be two different lists.

As far as gameplay goes, I think FFXIII is the best so far, maybe rivaled by FFXII.

But with story as the priority, I think it would go something like 1. FFX 2. FFVIII 3. FFVII 4. FFIX 5. FFXIII

Ultimately the story is "good," but it needs to be fleshed out. The actually storytelling in FFVII isn't any better than FFXIII nor is it in FFIX, but their stories are much larger, more cohesive pictures. But idk. Maybe I'm being unfair. The good news is that the story is better than IV, V, VI imo.

Edit: Thinking more on it, I might rank FFIX above FFVII if I'm to do it objectively. FFIX and FFXIII are very similar storywise imo, so I have a sense of wanting to group them together, but another part of me just seems to think that FFIX tells a more substantial story (lit. there's more).

hakanakumono
I think it had something to do with Text vs Cut scenes. The PS1 games felt more like you were reading a book than just *(no offense to the latter establishments, its the way the technology evolved)* watching T.V.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

The trouble with the battle system is that it likes to put itself across as more deep and tactical than it really is. Many of the decisions you make on which roles to assign to the lead character depend on how much you see yourself counting on the utterly lousy team AI to perform the correct moves. In fact, this is probably much more important than picking the right attack/defense formation, Incidentally, I loved the rest of the game, but the fighting gameplay needs a major overhaul if you ask me. Maybe something more like FFXII.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

The trouble with the battle system is that it likes to put itself across as more deep and tactical than it really is. Many of the decisions you make on which roles to assign to the lead character depend on how much you see yourself counting on the utterly lousy team AI to perform the correct moves. In fact, this is probably much more important than picking the right attack/defense formation, Incidentally, I loved the rest of the game, but the fighting gameplay needs a major overhaul if you ask me. Maybe something more like FFXII.

Menalque2

I like the Gambit system too. I wish they could bring it back for some other installments...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I like FF13, but no. Not even close.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 texasgoldrush

Gameplay: FFV is the best battle system, FFVI for best exploration

Story : FFVI duh

Characters : FFVI yet again

Graphics (Artistic): I will go with FFIX orFFX

Music: FFVI

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

caughtjoo

I think it had something to do with Text vs Cut scenes. The PS1 games felt more like you were reading a book than just *(no offense to the latter establishments, its the way the technology evolved)* watching T.V.

I don't think thats it. With the PS1 games, cutscenes were longer than ever before (especially in VIII and IX) rather than the brief interactions present in VI and XIII. Sometimes the short cutscenes interpsersed thorughout FFXIII are it's strength, providing something the series has never been able to before - for example Lightning and Hope's journey just through the forest is one of the best storytelling moments in the series. It's amazing how the story is able to develop the characters and provide so much for the story amidst what would normally count as a filler dungeon.

On the other hand the short cutscene just doesn't work for things like meeting Cid Raines that needed to be longer, like the PS1 Final Fantasies would have made it. Things don't "steep" in FFXIII and that's one of it's biggest problems.

Of course, another problem with FFXIII is that it's fully voiced and in HD. The juvenile presentation is very similar to FFIX, but by nature FFXIII is more "in your face" about it just because of the way that it's made.

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

I'm about 5 hours in and all I can say is WOW ... THE GRAPHICS !! and THE GAMEPLAY and THE STORY !! jeez after just playing Final Fantasy IV DS right before getting this it makes it seem sooo much better than I thought it would be ...

Why the hell do people hate on this game ?? does it have a bad ending or something ??

KzJoe

I don't know why people hate on it but I am jealous I can't play since my 60GB YLOD-ed on me. Have fun!

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

I like FF13, but no. Not even close.siLVURcross
This. I am enjoying the game but the pacing, linearity, lack of compelling villains, hold the game back IMO. Im on Chapter 13 btw.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

To answer the question.

No.

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts

FF 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

all say no and the battle rages on for the best Final Fantasy.

LegatoSkyheart
yes i would play any of these FF games anyday with overdated graphics instead of playing a leaner and shallow game FF game with extreme graphics, that proves good graphics never means good game.
W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts
I'm 25 hours in and I've played Final Fantasy 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 , and 12 before 13. I love Final Fantasy 13 right now. The Combat is a lot of fun and I don't think of the linearity of the game as a problem. It really fits in the story that you would not be wondering around and visiting city's randomly when everyone in them hates you. I'm in chapter 10 and I tend to use Fang, Sazh, and Vanille.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Wasdie
It dose not remain Linear for the entire game. 20 Hour mark you should be at the Stepees i think or near them as well. End game content is all open ended. The battle system dose not stop evolving until about the 20 hour mark as well when you finally have to start using Sentinels. The game is fun fast paced and interesting. Its an OUTRIGHT lie saying the game play has not changed by the 10 - 20 hour mark as i have already pointed out you unlock more of the battle system as the game progresses so how has the game play not changed?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

No...Not even close let alone FF6 my fav blows away for me every other Final Fantasy, I don't even considered FF13 to be a true Final Fantasy or an RPG for that matter from what I've seen. I've been tempted to actually test it for my self go rent ps3 ff13 and 360 ff13 play one and the other at the same time spaced a good bit apart so One is my learning partner the other uses the experience I've gained from that... but it was easy to dismiss the idea.

I have no real urge to actually play them just a small curiosity.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
4,6,7,8, 9, 10.