FFXIII = disappointment of the year?

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#51 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Disappointment for a bunch of uppity fans who can enjoy it for what it's worth. I hated the first three chapters but now that I'm at Gran Pulse, I'm having a blast. I don't think it's the best Final Fantasy or the worst but it's just good to me.

BLuFAlc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#52 BLuFAlc0n
Member since 2007 • 550 Posts

...I can't believe some people doesn't like FFXIII, it's the best RPG released this year! Having "No Towns" or something like that didn't annoy me, and the characters really attached to the game really well, not only that, but sound quality, graphic quality and performance quality is definitely 11/10!

FFXIII's (PS3) cutscenes outperforms MGS4, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, any game...name it! This game just made everything look real-istic, even I could see \lightning's and Snow's face having real features in them. Story is well made, and seriously...I don't se anything bad about this game apart from having only 36 Trophies in the game, but that was counterd by having 4 Gold Trophies and 7 Unlockable Themes! There could be some hard times playing the game, but that's just regular. The game feels near-perfect for me, but not perfect, having said that, it's still an awesome game.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#53 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
It is a bit disappointing, but disappointment of the year? The year has a long ways to go, and lot of big titles to go and so far the 'disappointment' bar isn't set very high.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I'm really disappointed with what I'm hearing about this game.

Timstuff

You should play the game and try to formulate your own opinions.

I'm enjoying it, as are many others. There's things that I don't like about FF13 but the positives outweigh the negatives. With a franchise as big as FF you're always going to have people hating on it

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 would of been considered linear if they were released after Mass Effect and Dragon Age. The evolution of the Western RPG has changed our perception of JRPG's. They've always been linear in comparison, peope tend to forget this. Final Fantasy 13 is more of a Story Driven experience, and the story fits the no towns version of Final Fantasy. Versus XIII is going to go back to the old formula, as has been confirmed. The battle system in this Final Fantasy makes up for a lot of it's flaws too. It's way better than any other battle system to date, and I hope they don't change a thing (who am I kidding?) in Versus XIII. Get to Gran Pulse and the game completely changes.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 would of been considered linear if they were released after Mass Effect and Dragon Age. The evolution of the Western RPG has changed our perception of JRPG's. They've always been linear in comparison, peope tend to forget this. Final Fantasy 13 is more of a Story Driven experience, and the story fits the no towns version of Final Fantasy. Versus XIII is going to go back to the old formula, as has been confirmed. The battle system in this Final Fantasy makes up for a lot of it's flaws too. It's way better than any other battle system to date, and I hope they don't change a thing (who am I kidding?) in Versus XIII. Get to Gran Pulse and the game completely changes.

Merex760

The trouble is, there was more exporation and role playing elements in Final Fantasy 7,8,9, and 10. The lack of towns is only a part of the bigger picture. You have to get 20 hours in before you can properly explore. Before that, its straight line, battle after battle. No puzzles, no decisions, no nothing.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#57 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="Merex760"]

Chemical_Viking

The trouble is, there was more exporation and role playing elements in Final Fantasy 7,8,9, and 10. The lack of towns is only a part of the bigger picture. You have to get 20 hours in before you can properly explore. Before that, its straight line, battle after battle. No puzzles, no decisions, no nothing.

7,8 and 9? Yes. 10? If anything, 10 is far more linear. It's a literal straight line (which I love, btw) for the first 40 hours or so, and even then, you can only use the airship to explore any of the linear environments. There are neither more decisions or more decisions in FFX.

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts

so far it's my game of the year ....

da_illest101
You have ME2 a 1/10 You're opinion no longer matters here.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="djsifer01"]Im 40 hours into the game. Let me say, its the *BEST* Final Fantasy game yet, words cant describe how much i love this game. If any of you are wondering, ive played all Final Fantasy's except 1-3.mitu123

1 is good, 2 is one of the worst, and 3, well, I don't know about that one.

3 is awful both the oringinal and the DS remake.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="djsifer01"]Im 40 hours into the game. Let me say, its the *BEST* Final Fantasy game yet, words cant describe how much i love this game. If any of you are wondering, ive played all Final Fantasy's except 1-3.jasonharris48

1 is good, 2 is one of the worst, and 3, well, I don't know about that one.

Its the worst FF ever lol (still didnt play FF2) :P.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

It really is the disappointment of the year in my eyes

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#62 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] 1 is good, 2 is one of the worst, and 3, well, I don't know about that one.

Kashiwaba

You need to play FF2 and see how lame it is, the story is the best thing about the game, the gameplay is flawed. Oh, yeah, Jason, wow, didn't know it was that bad.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] 1 is good, 2 is one of the worst, and 3, well, I don't know about that one.

Kashiwaba

I liked FF1 ans 2 it is just FF3 lol gosh it was a PoS.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"] 3 is awful both the oringinal and the DS remake.

mitu123

You need to play FF2 and see how lame it is, the story is the best thing about the game, the gameplay is flawed. Oh, yeah, Jason, wow, didn't know it was that bad.

I just really hate that game outside of the job system I can't find anything good about FFIII

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Certainly for me.
blackstace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blackstace
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

played, beat it, and you know what...it was alright, nothing breath taking. i enjoyed it i suppose but i wont remember the game like i did past final fantasy's

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#67 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Not disappointed in it one bit.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#68 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
It was definitely mine. But then again, it was followed by my surprise of the year; ROF.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

It's an awesome game IMO, however it's probabaly not as good as I was expecting after all these years (I suppose now they kind of need to take FF in a new direction, though not destroy it).

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#70 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
I was very disapointed with FFXIII. I traded it for DA : O Awakening about a week later.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

It's only a disapppointment to people who expect JRPG's to be like WRPG's

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

No, more like "pleasant surprise of the year" for me. I love the game, perhaps even more than any other Final Fantasy I've ever played now that I've spent a considerable amount of time exploring Gran Pulse. It's a wonderful looking game (best visuals for a multiplat so far to my eyes) with the best battle system the series has yet offered.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"] 3 is awful both the oringinal and the DS remake.

jasonharris48

I liked FF1 ans 2 it is just FF3 lol gosh it was a PoS.

FF3's better than 2 IMO, but that's not saying much. FFI was the best between the first three FFs IMO, when considering the GBA and PSP games of FFI and FFII anyways, since FFI on the NES was unplayable to me, and I never finished II on the NES, but did on the GBA and PSP. Overall, though, I wasn't crazy about any of the first 3 FF's, but IV on the other hand, now THAT'S when things started getting great for FF!

And on XIII, I'm only a couple hours in and so far it has been decent. I'm starting to get the gameplay (which probably isn't saying much since there are probably many other things that have not yet been introduced to the gameplay yet), and I think I'm kinda starting to get the story, though it still kinda confuses me. It's starting to grow on me, I think.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

DanteSuikoden

I guess you are right but still even for JRPGs I dont consider FF13 the best one this generation.

covhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 covhunter
Member since 2004 • 946 Posts
While FF13 is a very good game (albeit far too linear even for Final Fantasy), the amount of grind you have to go through for better equipment is better suited to an MMO, this was also my biggest problem with FF12. I preferred the older games where you came across the strongest weapon in the game by stumbling upon it in a secret dungeon protected by pretty strong enemies, not by grinding for about 10 hours for materials.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jasonharris48

DanteSuikoden

I didn't expect FFXIII to like a WRPG title what so ever. I've been play Square and Enix titles for far to long to ever expect that.I still think FFXIII wasn't that great. Sure I it was a good "AA" title but it does fail as a FF title in some waysand as a RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#78 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
[QUOTE="da_illest101"]

TheOwnerOner

i based my review on the game's value to me, meaning the fun factor, I just hated the game what can i say, i'm not gonna give it a 9 if it was crap for me
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Hype is a two way street. If everyone is bashing a game, then it can't be a disappointment. Therefore, FFXIII isn't a disappointment.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

You hate it with out playing it? I hate it too but I at leased played it.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dreman999
[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"][QUOTE="da_illest101"]

i based my review on the game's value to me, meaning the fun factor, I just hated the game what can i say, i'm not gonna give it a 9 if it was crap for me

But you never played it.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#82 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"] You have ME2 a 1/10 You're opinion no longer matters here. dreman999

But you never played it.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he never played it :?

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#83 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I thought it was one of the suprising thing this year. Despite all the bad things I heard, it passed my expectation and the gameplay is very enjoyable.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My disappointment of the year is WKC. I had high hopes for that game (well, not incredibly high), but it turned out to be so lackluster in many areas. My only hope is they vastly improve the sequel. I'm not getting my hopes up this time though.

FF13 is a great game, and although it has flaws, I'm still loving it.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="da_illest101"] i based my review on the game's value to me, meaning the fun factor, I just hated the game what can i say, i'm not gonna give it a 9 if it was crap for me calvinsora

But you never played it.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he never played it :?

He,s not a pc gamer and he has no xbox. He never played it. He even hate forza 3 and he never played it.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
[QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

I'm warming to it now. In spite of square enix's best efforts to annoy me.

Hope is a whiny, miserable, meek little character. His only motivation so far is yelling at Snow, who he percieves at not saving his Mum. He has had several opportunities to yell at Snow, and has not done it, so sulked his way through about 10 hours so far, saying or doing nothing of interest. Lightening is miserable and unreasonable. They're trying too hard to make her "cool" and "edgy", she has no personality. Just punching people for no reason, acting sullen, abandoning people in the lurch and saying little or nothing of interest. Vanille is a squeaky, yappy nonsense creature. Sazh has no backstory that I know of yet. He does have an afro with a bird in it. No I don't know why. The only character so far with a modicum of interest to me is Snow, and he is no Geralt of Rivera.

Graphics good. Game a slow burner, getting better. I sincerely hope the characters develop SOMETHING in the next few hours.

well than good news for you. all of those characters change for the better as the story goes on. you find out what hope does (he doesnt want to yell at snow btw he wants to kill him), you find out why sazh doesn't talk about his past and why vanille tries so hard to be happy and lightning admits to trying to act all "cool and edgy" for a reason.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Actually I was pretty happy with FFXIII and I expected alot being an FF fan. Solid 9 in my books.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dreman999
[QUOTE="antifanboyftw"][QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

Hope is a whiny, miserable, meek little character. His only motivation so far is yelling at Snow, who he percieves at not saving his Mum. He has had several opportunities to yell at Snow, and has not done it, so sulked his way through about 10 hours so far, saying or doing nothing of interest. Lightening is miserable and unreasonable. They're trying too hard to make her "cool" and "edgy", she has no personality. Just punching people for no reason, acting sullen, abandoning people in the lurch and saying little or nothing of interest. Vanille is a squeaky, yappy nonsense creature. Sazh has no backstory that I know of yet. He does have an afro with a bird in it. No I don't know why. The only character so far with a modicum of interest to me is Snow, and he is no Geralt of Rivera.

Graphics good. Game a slow burner, getting better. I sincerely hope the characters develop SOMETHING in the next few hours.

well than good news for you. all of those characters change for the better as the story goes on. you find out what hope does (he doesnt want to yell at snow btw he wants to kill him), you find out why sazh doesn't talk about his past and why vanille tries so hard to be happy and lightning admits to trying to act all "cool and edgy" for a reason.

I played the full game. The character growth stops half way through the game . Lighting is too stiff. Snows an idiot. Vanilla is too annoying. And Hope need to keep growing as a character but stop too early. The plots a mess. And let's not talk about Pulse, the place you go half way through the game where nothing happen and to only thing you do their is fight monsters. I can't believe people bought a system for this game.
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="antifanboyftw"][QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

I played the full game. The character growth stops half way through the game . Lighting is too stiff. Snows an idiot. Vanilla is too annoying. And Hope need to keep growing as a character but stop too early. The plots a mess. And let's not talk about Pulse, the place you go half way through the game where nothing happen and to only thing you do their is fight monsters. I can't believe people bought a system for this game.

Thats the point of Final Fantasy, is to fight people.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 dreman999
[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="antifanboyftw"] well than good news for you. all of those characters change for the better as the story goes on. you find out what hope does (he doesnt want to yell at snow btw he wants to kill him), you find out why sazh doesn't talk about his past and why vanille tries so hard to be happy and lightning admits to trying to act all "cool and edgy" for a reason.peaceoutmedusa

So is Bayonetta and Devil may cry. So should I get Bayonetta over FF13 because Bayonetta has a better fighting system?
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"][QUOTE="dreman999"] I played the full game. The character growth stops half way through the game . Lighting is too stiff. Snows an idiot. Vanilla is too annoying. And Hope need to keep growing as a character but stop too early. The plots a mess. And let's not talk about Pulse, the place you go half way through the game where nothing happen and to only thing you do their is fight monsters. I can't believe people bought a system for this game.dreman999

So is Bayonetta and Devil may cry. So should I get Bayonetta over FF13 because Bayonetta has a better fighting system?

They both have VERY different fighting systems. It depends on what your preference is.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts

the problem with snow is the whole "im going to be a hero for sure because i assume im supposed to be!!!" attitude. seriously i was happy watching him get beat up when he kept saying that to the other characters,

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Not when you can get if for $35.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

lol you guys relly compireing FFXIII fighting system to Bayonetta? :lol:

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

Best RPG this gen.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

lol you guys relly compireing FFXIII fighting system to Bayonetta? :lol:

ShadowriverUB
Action game compared to one of the most traditional jRPG series? Whats not to compare?
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Just finished it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the Best FF I've ever played, but better than most the games out on the market today. If it isn't for you then it isn't for you, but if you really enjoy the FF series I think you'll find a lot to like about XIII. I'd wager many of the complaints you've seen about the game on internet forums aren't from long time fans of the series... they're the same people that have been saying FF is passe for the last 3 years everytime news came out, and they simply found a point to latch on to trash it now.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Thats the point of Final Fantasy, is to fight people.peaceoutmedusa

They both have VERY different fighting systems. It depends on what your preference is.

But I thought the point of the game it to fight things. Wouldn't it be better to fight things in a game with a better fighting system? I mean it's not like people play FF 's game because of the story? So all the fandum for the past FF is because of the fighting system and not the great character?(Outside of FF8.)8)

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jasonharris48

@ dreman999

Actually the charactersdo change during the game. As much as I hated Snow and Hope you could see the characters evolving and becoming some what likable. Lighting ends up changing a lot too and Sazh was probably one of the most interesting characters in recent RPGs and in a FF title. The story did have some flaws but it wasn't all that bad. My problem with FFXIII it felt like a chore playing often times, I wasn't having to much fun playing the game. Hell after 30 hours my main focus was beating it it so I could sell it on ebay sadly. The thing that kept me going though was the likable characters, story (both did have it flaws and the ATB system. FFFXIII is a good game not great is it disappointment of the year? I can't say since we are only three months in of the 2010 year. My main gripe with FFXIII though the pacing is horrid and I do have a hard time considering FFXIII a RPG.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Chemical_Viking

Exploration I'll grant you, though aside from random treats for completionists the main story would bring you to all the major sites to see anyhow. But "role playing elements"? I don't see that at all. You've never been granted any substantive decision making in a Final Fantasy. The story is the story, and your characters within that story have a set role. And I don't see how mini-games or side quests could be defined role playing elements. Nothing breaks immersion like taking a few hours off in the middle of an Apocalypse you alone can prevent.... to go play Blitzball, Tetra Master, breed some chocobos, or take on some mercenary work.