Fatal Frame V might be getting a localization

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

Source

Nintendo is really kicking things into high gear. I just bought a PS4, but a Wii U may not be so far off in the horizon.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

People care about this series?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

yeah right, Nintendo can't even localize Metroid: Zero Mission

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@Blabadon said:

It's been 10 years since we last got a Fatal Frame here. My interest is gone and I used to be a big fan of the games.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@lamprey263: Wut

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@SonicNextGen2 said:

Source

Nintendo is really kicking things into high gear. I just bought a PS4, but a Wii U may not be so far off in the horizon.

Wow... I didn't even know there was a Fatal Frame 3, 4 and 5...that's amazing news for me, I loved the first two games.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

@Blabadon: YES
@kitty: We got one like 2 years ago.....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Still no Co-Op ?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'm afraid to get my hopes up. I'll just wait another 28322 years for official confirmation.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lamprey263

Any links to the English translation stream that doesn't require registration to a shoddy sight?

Anyhow, found this...

Loading Video...

These are the two women who were featured in the Japanese Fatal Frame adds I posted up here a few weeks ago, this is just the whole stream. I'd guess the new link is probably just a fan translation of the Japanese material, which to me is no real indication that Nintendo has any plans of localizing it for foreign markets. Hell, Persona Q had a gazillion Japanese trailers and eventually fans translated them and posted them to YouTube, but it wasn't by Atlus's doing. Probably same thing here.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

When the series was a multiplat/playstation series, we had no problems getting them in the west.

When Nintendo got their mits on the series, they kept Fatal Frame 4 in Japan. This link's only evidence of FF5 being localized is that it's in English? That's not nearly enough evidence to dare say this game will be localized and I'm not going to get my hopes up again. In fact, it's probably another fan translation...what a misleading title. The link takes us to another forum's discussion.

I was a huge fan and I used to buy these games on launch days. I own Fatal Frame 1-3.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidTy
@SonicNextGen2 said:

Fatal Frame 4 released in 2008 (six years ago) and it never made it out of Japan, stuck on Wii. It was the first sequel and main Fatal Frame for a Nintendo system. It was often cited NOA didn't want to localize an M rated game on Wii as that was a very family friendly system. The masses were taught to look for the Nintendo symbol for family friendly and great titles for Wii. NOA carefully cultivated that kid friendly image for years. Fatal Frame as a series didn't meet either standard for NOA and it wasn't worth the risk releasing the 2008 game in the West. NOA also blocked the 2003 Fatal Frame 2 port that released in Japan, Europe, and Australia for Wii in 2012 (as Project Zero 2).

The last main Fatal Frame released in the west was Fatal Frame 3 for PS2 released in 2005 (9 years ago).

2003's Fatal Frame 2 and 2005's Fatal Frame 3 did re-release on PSN in 2013, but they were old PS2 classic titles from 2003 (FF2) and 2005 (FF3). 2003's Fatal Frame 2 also released as a port to Wii in Japan and the nearly decade old Fatal Frame 2 port made it's way to Australia and EU in 2012. However, again NOA didn't allow that Fatal Frame 2 game to release in the US, not that it mattered too much as Fatal Frame 2 was a late 2003 port available on PS2, Xbox 1 (OG), and PS3 via PSN.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@SonicNextGen2 said:

Fatal Frame 4 released in 2008 (six years ago) and it never made it out of Japan, stuck on Wii. It was the first Fatal Frame for a Nintendo system. It was often cited NOA didn't want to localize an M rated game on Wii as that was a very family friendly system. The masses were taught to look for the Nintendo symbol for family friendly and great titles. Fatal Frame didn't meet either standard for NOA. That was what was presented years ago.

I think the amount of bugs found in Fatal Frame IV say otherwise.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamprey263

@SolidTy: The Fatal Frame that released two years ago was a Wii re-release of Crimson Butterfly, I think that's what he meant, it didn't release in North America, just Europe and Australia. Doesn't make any sense to me why they did this. Do they think American's don't like survival horror? Same shit happened with Siren 2, and they never released a physical copy of Blood Curse in North America like they did in other regions.

But yeah, I'm glad you can see that this is likely a fan translation and didn't buy into the bullshit. Apparently anybody can post videos on this site. Plus, if Nintendo intended for this to be shown to an English speaking audience we would have seen something through Nintendo Direct or something on their Twitter feeds and such, with videos hosted on YouTube, not on NicoNico

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendoboy16

Also... *clicks link*

NeoGAF. Enough said.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy
@nintendoboy16 said:

@SolidTy said:
@SonicNextGen2 said:

Fatal Frame 4 released in 2008 (six years ago) and it never made it out of Japan, stuck on Wii. It was the first sequel and main Fatal Frame for a Nintendo system. It was often cited NOA didn't want to localize an M rated game on Wii as that was a very family friendly system. The masses were taught to look for the Nintendo symbol for family friendly and great titles for Wii. NOA carefully cultivated that kid friendly image for years. Fatal Frame as a series didn't meet either standard for NOA and it wasn't worth the risk releasing the 2008 game in the West. NOA also blocked the 2003 Fatal Frame 2 port that released in Japan, Europe, and Australia for Wii in 2012 (as Project Zero 2).

The last main Fatal Frame released in the west was Fatal Frame 3 for PS2 released in 2005 (9 years ago).

2003's Fatal Frame 2 and 2005's Fatal Frame 3 did re-release on PSN in 2013, but they were old PS2 classic titles from 2003 (FF2) and 2005 (FF3). 2003's Fatal Frame 2 also released as a port to Wii in Japan and the nearly decade old Fatal Frame 2 port made it's way to Australia and EU in 2012. However, again NOA didn't allow that Fatal Frame 2 game to release in the US, not that it mattered too much as Fatal Frame 2 was a late 2003 port available on PS2, Xbox 1 (OG), and PS3 via PSN.

I think the amount of bugs found in Fatal Frame IV say otherwise.

Tecmo's statement on NOA blocking Fatal Frame 4 PROVE otherwise:

"Nintendo holds the publishing rights to 'Fatal Frame Wii,' which was developed by Tecmo LTD. and Grasshopper Manufacture and released in Japan on July 31, 2008. Nintendo of America [NOA] has since then decided not to publish the title in North America – consequently, the title will not be released in this territory. As the owner of the IP, Tecmo feels very unfortunate that the fans of the series in North America will not have a chance to play the game,

but respects the final decision made by Nintendo of America."

Fatal Frame 4 was the first game in the Fatal Frame series to not be released for the PlayStation 2 or released in the west. Yes, the Fatal Frame 4 game did have four noteworthy bugs, but NOA blocked the title which is what I stated.

Besides, this isn't the first time NOA did blocked an M rated game or Fatal Frame. NOA also blocked the late Fatal Frame 2 port released in Japan, EU, and AU in 2012. If you don't live in NOA territory maybe you didn't notice the things NOA fans did notice about NOA over the last decade.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I was a huge fan and I used to buy these games on launch days. I own Fatal Frame 1-3.

I have 1 - 3 on the ps2 and 1 and 2 on the xbox and I bought 1 - 3 on psn for my ps3.
I have no hope of any future games coming here and if so, why should we even bother?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

@lamprey263:

Yes, I covered that blurb about Fatal Frame 2 a bit, but that's NOA for you. Glad you noticed that as well. NOA seems was protecting their family friendly image with 1st party titles during the Wii generation especially. Blocked both Fatal Frame 4 and the late port Fatal Frame 2 re-release for Wii.

This thread's title: "Fatal Frame V might be getting a localization"

This thread's OP: "Nintendo is really kicking things into high gear."

This thread's link: Some other poster in another forum discovered a NicoNico video with English...that has nothing to do with Nintendo kicking anything into high gear or Fatal Frame 5 getting localized. As you stated, Nintendo would have broadcasted information on Nintendo Direct or at least Youtube.

Nintendo hasn't spoke on the matter as this OP would have us believe. It's misleading and it's a poor source citing another thread from another forum. I think it would be good if Nintendo released the game and I think especially since the Wii U is struggling, that desperation factor may help NOA stop blocking M rated games, but we'll see.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy
@kitty said:

@SolidTy said:

When the series was a multiplat/playstation series, we had no problems getting them in the west.

When Nintendo got their mits on the series, they kept Fatal Frame 4 in Japan. This link's only evidence of FF5 being localized is that it's in English? That's not nearly enough evidence to dare say this game will be localized and I'm not going to get my hopes up again. In fact, it's probably another fan translation...what a misleading title. The link takes us to another forum's discussion.

I have 1 - 3 on the ps2 and 1 and 2 on the xbox and I bought 1 - 3 on psn for my ps3.

I have no hope of any future games coming here and if so, why should we even bother?

You own them as well, awesome! You understand my pain. It was a sweet series.

Yeah, after Fatal Frame 2 late port never released in the US and the Fatal Frame 4 sequel never released in the west...it's best not to get on the emotional roller coaster for Fatal Frame 5 localization; especially after checking the OP's link out and finding the source for all of this is incredibly sketchy.

We went through years of waiting for Fatal Frame 4 with hope, and my tank is empty. I'm not jumping on the hope bandwagon again only to be disappointed five years from now. I'll just tell myself it's not coming and maybe one day I'll be pleasantly surprised.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Hopefully we will get this game, i'm a huge Fatal Frame 2 fan, i would love to play another one.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Might?...Nintendo really need to make it clear that they will be releasing this game to West ..they'd be stupid to be holding games back in Japan only..when the Wii U is sorely in need of games. But then again racist bone head Iwata is in charge so he might be stupid enough to keep games Japan only. :P

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Nintendo's gotten a lot better at localization since Fatal Frame 4. I expect it.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Might consider since Ayane is in. Still... I really don't care for Fatal Frame so maybe not.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I keep saying that the movie makes it likely.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I want Fatal Frame over here very badly. But the series has sold a handful of copies in its whole history. It's very unlikely it will sell anywhere. Only benefit of localization would be increasing the Wii U's library.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendoboy16

@SolidTy said:

"Nintendo holds the publishing rights to 'Fatal Frame Wii,' which was developed by Tecmo LTD. and Grasshopper Manufacture and released in Japan on July 31, 2008. Nintendo of America [NOA] has since then decided not to publish the title in North America – consequently, the title will not be released in this territory. As the owner of the IP, Tecmo feels very unfortunate that the fans of the series in North America will not have a chance to play the game,

Fatal Frame 4 was the first game in the Fatal Frame series to not be released for the PlayStation 2 or released in the west. Yes, the Fatal Frame 4 game did have four noteworthy bugs, but NOA blocked the title which is what I stated.

Besides, this isn't the first time NOA did blocked an M rated game or Fatal Frame. NOA also blocked the late Fatal Frame 2 port released in Japan, EU, and AU in 2012. If you don't live in NOA territory maybe you didn't notice the things NOA fans did notice about NOA over the last decade.

That TECMO statement still doesn't explain why NOA refused to localize it though. I find it hard to believe them protecting their family friendly image had ANYTHING to do with this, considering NOA approved of various "Mature" third party offerings. If they were REALLY hell-bent on that, don't you think all those third party games slapped with an M would have been censored to hell and back (like in the SNES era, look at Mortal Kombat and Wolfenstein 3D) or blocked from release entirely?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Never played the earlier games.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

FWIW Fatal Frame 4 was all but ready to be released in Europe. Grasshopper Manufacture just refused to remove the bugs from their game and NOE dropped it at the last minute

@Blabadon said:

Do you care about horror games? Then you and everyone who does should. Fatal Frame games are pure survival horror.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@SolidTy said:

You own them as well, awesome! You understand my pain. It was a sweet series.

Yeah, after Fatal Frame 2 late port never released in the US and the Fatal Frame 4 sequel never released in the west...it's best not to get on the emotional roller coaster for Fatal Frame 5 localization; especially after checking the OP's link out and finding the source for all of this is incredibly sketchy.

We went through years of waiting for Fatal Frame 4 with hope, and my tank is empty. I'm not jumping on the hope bandwagon again only to be disappointed five years from now. I'll just tell myself it's not coming and maybe one day I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii is a remake using the Fatal Frame 4 engine, with many gameplay tweaks (like a third person view) and redone, modern CGI. Not a port. I own both the original Xbox version (which in turn is a enhanced port of the PS2 version) and the Wii version, and i highly recommend the Wii version overall. Excellent remake.

If we wanna talk about ports, Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil is a straight up late port of Gamecube's REmake, for the Wii .

Fatal Frame 4 is well worth playing if you haven't, i have the jp import which i played with the fan translation patch. I doubt Fatal Frame 5 will ever release anywhere except Japan.

@Blabadon said:

**** yeah. The best survival-horror series of all times.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thunderdrone

Also, the game is pretty gorgeous

Dem wet clothes clinging tightly to dat ass!

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Tecmo are saying "No" in EU.

http://nintendoeverything.com/koei-tecmo-twitter-says-fatal-frame-the-black-haired-shrine-maiden-is-a-japan-only-release/

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Thunderdrone

@Dibdibdobdobo said:

Tecmo are saying "No" in EU.

http://nintendoeverything.com/koei-tecmo-twitter-says-fatal-frame-the-black-haired-shrine-maiden-is-a-japan-only-release/

Thats not a "no". Thats standard PR response when there is no official announcment to be made. They are not going to announce a region specific release on twitter just because someone asked

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy

@nintendoboy16 said:

@SolidTy said:

That TECMO statement still doesn't explain why NOA refused to localize it though. I find it hard to believe them protecting their family friendly image had ANYTHING to do with this, considering NOA approved of various "Mature" third party offerings. If they were REALLY hell-bent on that, don't you think all those third party games slapped with an M would have been censored to hell and back (like in the SNES era, look at Mortal Kombat and Wolfenstein 3D) or blocked from release entirely?

No, Nintendo welcome third party games M rated or not. 3rd party isn't an issue, they have Activision, EA, Capcom, or whatever in the corner of the box and not the iconic Nintendo logo. I already covered this in my other quote. Nintendo of America is protective of their 1st party brand and 1st party titles (or they were especially in the Wii generation due to the Blue Ocean marketing campaign). In the US, they had cultivated a family safe brand with their 1st party titles and maintained that quality and safe image all through the Wii generation. In the US, during the Wii era, they did not want M rated games associated with the Nintendo 1st party games. They went as far as instructing retailers nationwide to point out to the consumer the "Nintendo logo" on the box as titles that were safe to buy for moms, grandpas, kids, etc.

Nintendo of America blocked both Fatal Frame 4 and Fatal Frame 2 from releasing in America (both Nintendo published M rated titles). Fatal Frame 2 Wii was released in AU, EU, and JP published by Nintendo. NOA wasn't having any of that. Since the Wii is region locked, there isn't much to be done unless you tamper with the hardware which I don't do.

As I said, if you didn't live in the NOA territory during that generation (which you didn't?), it seems highly possible you didn't notice NOA's operation over the Wii generation. Living is different from visiting of course.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Yes

@Lucianu said:

@Blabadon said:

The **** out of here.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidTy

@Lucianu said:

Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii...I highly recommend the Wii version overall. Excellent remake.

Fatal Frame 4 is well worth playing if you haven't, i have the jp import which i played with the fan translation patch. I doubt Fatal Frame 5 will ever release anywhere except Japan.

I can't play either Fatal Frame 2 or Fatal Frame 4, they are region blocked. Importing will do me no good, not to mention the language barrier. I know about the fan translation patch for FF4, but I also know it's not something I would do with my hardware since the Japanese import game is region locked on my Wii anyways. I don't mess with emulators (Dolphin), or any of that.

I'm not one to tamper with hardware (freeloader, modding the Wii), or pirate anything (Wii Home-brew), so that's how the story ends for me. Know Fatal Frame 2 was released in AU, EU, and Japan, it was just skipped for America by NOA.

I doubt Fatal Frame 5 will release outside of Japan as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the two Fatal Frame games denied by NOA and seriously thanks for the info on the games I can't play. It's certainly intriguing. My information on those two titles is limited since I can't play either of them due to NOA. :(

Great freakin' series, I agree.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nintendoboy16

@SolidTy said:

No, Nintendo welcome third party games M rated or not. 3rd party isn't an issue, they have Activision, EA, Capcom, or whatever in the corner of the box and not the iconic Nintendo logo. I already covered this in my other quote. Nintendo of America is protective of their 1st party brand and 1st party titles (or they were especially in the Wii generation due to the Blue Ocean marketing campaign). In the US, they had cultivated a family safe brand with their 1st party titles and maintained that quality and safe image all through the Wii generation. In the US, during the Wii era, they did not want M rated games associated with the Nintendo 1st party games. They went as far as instructing retailers nationwide to point out to the consumer the "Nintendo logo" on the box as titles that were safe to buy for moms, grandpas, kids, etc.

Nintendo of America blocked both Fatal Frame 4 and Fatal Frame 2 from releasing in America (both Nintendo published M rated titles). Fatal Frame 2 Wii was released in AU, EU, and JP published by Nintendo. NOA wasn't having any of that. Since the Wii is region locked, there isn't much to be done unless you tamper with the hardware which I don't do.

As I said, if you didn't live in the NOA territory during that generation (which you didn't), it seems highly possible you didn't notice NOA's operation over the Wii generation. Living is different from visiting of course.

First off, Ty. I DID live in America. I was born and raised there. I've only been in the UK since late 2010.

Well (IF that's really the case), it's not hard to see why. Hardly anybody bought Eternal Darkness and Geist (in before "but the latter sucked") on the GameCube, which of course, leads Nintendo away from the Mature market (if Bayo 2 and Devil's Third bomb, looks like they'll do it again). However, at the time (and even now, Nintendo doesn't own all of it), Tecmo still had the IP in their grasp, so you can't really call it a first party offering (with that logic, you might as well call Bayo 2 and LEGO City first party offerings JUST because Nintendo published them, nevermind SEGA and Warner Bros. respectively having those IP's in their grasp). Heck, Nintendo was even involved with the controversies around Madworld (SEGA/Platinum) in some form or another. So again, highly doubtful that "protecting" their family friendly image was really the case in regards to the Fatal Frame games not getting released in the US.

Besides, it's not like Nintendo's kid friendly reception would ever go away IF FF4 ever released in the US. It didn't in the N64 era when the likes of Perfect Dark and Conker existed on that console. It's going to be this way for as long as a certain plumber, hylian hero, and electric mouse live.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidTy

@nintendoboy16 said:

@SolidTy said:

As I said, if you didn't live in the NOA territory during that generation (which you didn't?), it seems highly possible you didn't notice NOA's operation over the Wii generation. Living is different from visiting of course.

First off, Ty. I DID live in America. I was born and raised there. I've only been in the UK since late 2010.

Well (IF that's really the case), it's not hard to see why. Hardly anybody bought Eternal Darkness and Geist (in before "but the latter sucked") on the GameCube, which of course, leads Nintendo away from the Mature market (if Bayo 2 and Devil's Third bomb, looks like they'll do it again). However, at the time (and even now, Nintendo doesn't own all of it), Tecmo still had the IP in their grasp, so you can't really call it a first party offering (with that logic, you might as well call Bayo 2 and LEGO City first party offerings JUST because Nintendo published them, nevermind SEGA and Warner Bros. respectively having those IP's in their grasp). Heck, Nintendo was even involved with the controversies around Madworld (SEGA/Platinum) in some form or another. So again, highly doubtful that "protecting" their family friendly image was really the case in regards to the Fatal Frame games not getting released in the US.

Besides, it's not like Nintendo's kid friendly reception would ever go away IF FF4 ever released in the US. It didn't in the N64 era when the likes of Perfect Dark and Conker existed on that console. It's going to be this way for as long as a certain plumber, hylian hero, and electric mouse live.

Ah...apologies about the America. I specifically remember years ago you mentioned being in the UK in a previous conversation with me, but in SW those years seem longer, or perhaps specifics weren't given. I do recall you saying you visiting America, but living in the UK...but it's all a haze. I do remember also there being an age variable, so perhaps the Wii 2006 release to 2010 you weren't in the frame of mind as say a 30+ year old Nintendo fan who bought and reserved full price Nintendo Wii games monthly. I'll certainly remember now so thanks for that.

Regarding the rest of the information, yes I knew all of that and I agree why it's not hard to see, but unfortunately the end result is two Fatal Frame games fans couldn't get their hands on during the Wii generation. Fatal Frame 2 is a real shame since it released practically everywhere but the US again due to NOA. The Wii spectacular early sales was a huge surprise for even Nintendo, and Nintendo and NOA handled the amazing Wii sales in strange ways imo.

I remember buying Eternal Darkness for GC on launch for $50 as I had it reserved and I still own it, but I wasn't talking about GC gen or prior. I certainly didn't bring up the N64 era as I specifically mentioned the Wii era, not every Nintendo era. I wouldn't do that because I own Perfect Dark and Conker on N64. I bought those for $60 a piece when they were new also having reserved both. I have the expansion pack for Perfect Dark as well. Those Nintendo eras were before Fils-Aimé and were a different NOA. NOA is different depending on who's heading it I've noticed, but I don't pin the entire blame on Fils-Aimé, but as head he's certainly the tail on this donkey. Different heads, different directions. Fils-Aimé was promoted from marketing/sales guy to President and Chief Operating Officer of NOA in 2006. This was months before the Wii released later that year, right at the end of the GC era. Regardless, the end result of two Fatal Frame games not releasing in America is tragic for fans.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nintendoboy16

@SolidTy said:

Ah...apologies about the America. I specifically remember years ago you mentioned being in the UK in a previous conversation with me, but in SW those years seem longer, or perhaps specifics weren't given. I do recall you saying you visiting America, but living in the UK...but it's all a haze. I do remember also there being an age variable, so perhaps the Wii 2006 release to 2010 you weren't in the frame of mind as say a 30+ year old Nintendo fan who bought and reserved full price Nintendo Wii games monthly. I'll certainly remember now so thanks for that.

Regarding the rest of the information, yes I knew all of that and I agree why it's not hard to see, but unfortunately the end result is two Fatal Frame games fans couldn't get their hands on during the Wii generation. Fatal Frame 2 is a real shame since it released practically everywhere but the US again due to NOA. The Wii spectacular early sales was a huge surprise for even Nintendo, and Nintendo and NOA handled the amazing Wii sales in strange ways imo.

I remember buying Eternal Darkness for GC on launch for $50 as I had it reserved and I still own it, but I wasn't talking about GC gen or prior. I certainly didn't bring up the N64 era as I specifically mentioned the Wii era, not every Nintendo era. I wouldn't do that because I own Perfect Dark and Conker on N64. I bought those for $60 a piece when they were new also having reserved both. I have the expansion pack for Perfect Dark as well. Those Nintendo eras were before Fils-Aimé and were a different NOA. NOA is different depending on who's heading it I've noticed, but I don't pin the entire blame on Fils-Aimé, but as head he's certainly the tail on this donkey. Different heads, different directions. Fils-Aimé was promoted from marketing/sales guy to President and Chief Operating Officer of NOA in 2006. This was months before the Wii released later that year, right at the end of the GC era. Regardless, the end result of two Fatal Frame games not releasing in America is tragic for fans.

Well, if I did say something like "visit America", it was probably bad wording on my part. :P

Regardless, on why Fatal Frame never came to America on the Wii. I still find the "protecting child friendly reception" reason questionable. I bring up ED and Geist because it prevents it on their OWN IP's (which like I said, Nintendo still doesn't completely own Fatal Frame) accord. Let's just end this.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Ok, this is a tad bit more interesting thread considering not too long ago European Localization group said they had no plans for this game.

I wonder if this is one of the games Nintendo plans to fill in the 2015 monthly release schedule?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lucianu

@SolidTy said:

@Lucianu said:

Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii...I highly recommend the Wii version overall. Excellent remake.

I can't play either Fatal Frame 2 or Fatal Frame 4, they are region blocked. Importing will do me no good, not to mention the language barrier. I know about the fan translation patch for FF4, but I also know it's not something I would do with my hardware since the Japanese import game is region locked on my Wii anyways. I don't mess with emulators (Dolphin), or any of that.

I'm not one to tamper with hardware (freeloader, modding the Wii), or pirate anything (Wii Home-brew), so that's how the story ends for me. Know Fatal Frame 2 was released in AU, EU, and Japan, it was just skipped for America by NOA.

I doubt Fatal Frame 5 will release outside of Japan as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the two Fatal Frame games denied by NOA and seriously thanks for the info on the games I can't play. It's certainly intriguing. My information on those two titles is limited since I can't play either of them due to NOA. :(

Great freakin' series, I agree.

Ah, i just assumed you own a modded system. I don't know, man.. i mean, already modded 2nd hand Wiis are cheap these days. I live in Europe, and there are a few NA/JP exclusives i wouldn't want to miss. Importing is difficult because of the shitty country i live in, but even i couldn't resist adding some much needed games in my collection.

@jg4xchamp said:

@Blabadon said:

Yes

@Lucianu said:

@Blabadon said:

The **** out of here.

Put aside legacy, brand popularity and all that and recognize the GOAT wen you see it. Because that's just how it is.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thunderdrone

@SolidTy said:

@Lucianu said:

I completely understand where you are coming from, I'm the same with emulation and what not. But it litterally takes 10 minutes to load a couple of files to an SD card and turn your Wii region free.

Even nintendo doesn't care as none of the latest firmwares bothered to block any of this. I'm from Europe so its easy for me to talk, but you should do it. FF2 is awesome on Wii and will probably become a horror game rarity in years to come.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

If they don't I will have somewhat of a meltdown, the Wii U tablet controller is almost made for that game O.o Not to mention that any horror game that is halfdecent is in my games library. I really want this game QQ

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Ok, this is a tad bit more interesting thread considering not too long ago European Localization group said they had no plans for this game.

I wonder if this is one of the games Nintendo plans to fill in the 2015 monthly release schedule?

Tecmo Koei Europe said "far as we know" though (or something like that), so not really a definitive confirmation that it's not getting localized to even the EU.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Thunderdrone

@Maddie_Larkin said:

If they don't I will have somewhat of a meltdown, the Wii U tablet controller is almost made for that game O.o Not to mention that any horror game that is halfdecent is in my games library. I really want this game QQ

I hope you bought ZombiU

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Yes

@Lucianu said:

@Blabadon said:

The **** out of here.

Put aside legacy, brand popularity and all that and recognize the GOAT wen you see it. Because that's just how it is.

Silent Hill

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lucianu

@jg4xchamp said:

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Yes

@Lucianu said:

@Blabadon said:

The **** out of here.

Silent Hill

2nd best, some aspects are done better in Silent Hill, but as an overall package of survival horror, Fatal Frame wins personally because it simply felt more scary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I hope you bought ZombiU

I did, or rather I bought the ZombiU bundle since it also had a free pro controller ;) criminally underrated game, likely the best use for the gamepad yet.

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts
@Blabadon said:

Can't speak of the entire series, but Fatal Frame 2 was a lot of fun. I could really go for more of these games.